Options

"Sirens" Single + Video

Comments

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,792
    Isn't it too long to even have a chance on commercial radio - it's almost 6min?

And is the guitarr solo really needed? It's like they tried their hardest to fill the song up with anything that made Guns and Roses early 90's epics hits, guitarr solos, piano etc etc. This song really tries to be an epic lovesong, while their best "love songs" are ones that don't try to be.

This nails it for me. I hadn't quite put my finger on it, but this is it. There's too much piled on here- it tries to hard. Yes, the ones that don't try to be big, the ballads and love songs that sound like they come more naturally- those are the great ones.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    SpagsSpags Leigh-on-Sea, UK Posts: 2,957
    This place is so nutty. :lol:
    Nature drunk and High
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,677
    edited September 2013
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    you know what..
    i usually get pissed with negative comments..

but this time im actually happy see them..and the reason is that most people saying they dont like the song cos
    pj change to something different.....

well..i love it..cos i want a fuckin 50 years old man to act like one and not act like how was as teenager..

i did all that crazy shit when i was 20 years old, i was pissed with all and everything,i cared only to get laid and get drunk..no care about feelings,or any important things..

after 22 years i want the band to put out their experience in life,by puting that in music and lyrics
    , and not try to pass me the image of the oldie stay forever fake aqngry teenager..
    and talk to me about important things,

and fuckin Love is one of them...

Love has alot of diffirent sounds and different colors..

sometimes Love talks you via colors..and can be fuckin Black...

sometimes transformed to sound ...and in your head,,you listen to Sirens

Thank You Mike and Pearl Jam for this song..

im very happy that your music and lyrics after all this years still create feelings to me.....

and im more happy cos this Brilliant song talk to my fuckin soul.....

even if you choose to stay, I'll wait, I'll understand...

However ....its not easy the Fear to Go Away..
    That's cool Dimi. :) .... But I just want to mention that I really don't think the poeple who dislike this song dislike it because EV isn't acting like a teenager. I think it has NOTHING to do with that at all. I think I said before that someone can like a matured PJ and still not like this particular song because they simply don't like its style or the way it sounds. For me, it starts out okay, and there are certain parts that are okay, but I think there are some bad arrangement choices, places where EV's (amazing) voice should not have gone up, but down instead... It really does sound like Daughtry type music. I am happy that it affected a lot of people in a positive way though. The lyrics certainly are romantic and relatable, and there is nothing wrong with that.
    im sure you will like it more with time or live..and i know very well Allison,that you put things down and explain what you like or not..but not all are as you here./.
    the problem actually is the lebel.."cheesy ballad"..means for some,isnt cool for me,the angry lost teenager ,but now 45 years old dont want this shit,cos i was the cool dude at high school that listen to grunge while others listening to aerosmith and Guns & Roses/.
    well,i tell u this,if tomorrow Madonna put out a brilliant song,ill like it and listen it all day ,and i dont care if "rock "people think if its "cool" or not to listen to Madonna songs.
    Well, we'll see how it goes live. Maybe I will enjoy it, who knows... And just because it's confusing me and it makes me feel conflicted, it still doesn't mean I hate it. I still maintain that EV's voice sounds amazing, to the point that I can't hate the song even if I try. I know some people's heads are going to explode because of their disdain for this song, and I understand why, but I am definitely not one of those people. I won't even be skipping it when I listen to the album, so I don't feel that bad about it.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    shortstack wrote:
    i haven't even heard it and i fucking hate it already
    :lol::lol:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    grazmangrazman Posts: 198
    Spags wrote:

Is this what it was like when No Code was released...

change is good!
    It's Evolution, Baby!
  • Options
    grazman wrote:
    Spags wrote:

change is good!

Re:No Code. For the mainstream public, yeah sorta. There wasn't a widespread internet community of PJ fans like now, there wasn't really a widespread internet, period. And there also wasn't a big radio single; Who You Are came out prior to album, but it didn't really get played on the radio. So people had to check out the album (i.e. buy it or listen to a friend's copy) to get to the fact of it: Totally Different Pearl Jam. And when they did check it out, a gigantic portion of fans just walked away. (the shitty fans, and there were a lot of them). What was left built up what's here today, the best fan base for any band.

This album is nowhere near that drastic, imo.
  • Options
    shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,788
    This is why I love pearl jam. So many times they have stopped us in our tracks, made us feel conflicted, forced us to listen with our heads cocked to the side saying, "what was that again?!?" They make us think, challenge us to stretch a little. This is what I have been craving.

And....I just can not get over Mike all wrapped up in guitars. :D. Love it!
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 New York City
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/02/18 Fenway 1 9/04/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden
  • Options
    grazmangrazman Posts: 198
    grazman wrote:
    Spags wrote:

change is good!

Re:No Code. For the mainstream public, yeah sorta. There wasn't a widespread internet community of PJ fans like now, there wasn't really a widespread internet, period. And there also wasn't a big radio single; Who You Are came out prior to album, but it didn't really get played on the radio. So people had to check out the album (i.e. buy it or listen to a friend's copy) to get to the fact of it: Totally Different Pearl Jam. And when they did check it out, a gigantic portion of fans just walked away. (the shitty fans, and there were a lot of them). What was left built up what's here today, the best fan base for any band.

This album is nowhere near that drastic, imo.

I think its slowly filtering out those fans who don't like mainstream PJ songs. I personally think its exactly what the band needs to be doing with their music and can't wait for LB. I think its very U2ish, Coldplayish and I love that type of music.
    It's Evolution, Baby!
  • Options
    ShortyShorty Ontario Posts: 1,160
    Here's what this song does for me.

If I close my eyes and listen to it - not in terms of the lyrics or story it's telling - but in terms of the emotion it invokes - I am transported back to high school - dancing the last song of the night at the school dance - with the prettiest girl in school (READ: whoever the fuck would dance with me) - and I am very content and happy (READ: Hammered and unable to stand).

I like it.
    Your Disciples Are Riddled With Metaphors.

08/21/2009: Toronto, ON
    09/11/2011: Toronto, ON
    07/16/2013: London, ON
    10/12/2013: Buffalo, NY
    10/16/2014: Detroit, MI
    05/08/2016: Ottawa, ON
    05/10/2016: Toronto, ON
    05/12/2016: Toronto, ON
    08/20/2016: Chicago, IL
    08/22/2016: Chicago, IL
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,314
    Shorty wrote:

If I close my eyes and listen to it - not in terms of the lyrics or story it's telling - but in terms of the emotion it invokes - I am transported back to high school - dancing the last song of the night at the school dance - with the prettiest girl in school (READ: whoever the fuck would dance with me) - and I am very content and happy (READ: Hammered and unable to stand).

I like it.
    hahaha..awesome comment\!!
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,682
    Shorty wrote:

I like it.

Agree, had me laughing too. Were you hammered at the high school dance and unable to stand or is that just your happy spot now? :)
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    ShortyShorty Ontario Posts: 1,160
    Shorty wrote:

I like it.

Agree, had me laughing too. Were you hammered at the high school dance and unable to stand or is that just your happy spot now? :)

HA! Hammered and unable to stand THEN, while at high school dances, years and years ago. Not now! Now I am at work - can't be drunk (READ: so I am very high).
    Your Disciples Are Riddled With Metaphors.

08/21/2009: Toronto, ON
    09/11/2011: Toronto, ON
    07/16/2013: London, ON
    10/12/2013: Buffalo, NY
    10/16/2014: Detroit, MI
    05/08/2016: Ottawa, ON
    05/10/2016: Toronto, ON
    05/12/2016: Toronto, ON
    08/20/2016: Chicago, IL
    08/22/2016: Chicago, IL
  • Options
    grazman wrote:
    Best song they've done since GIven to Fly imo.

Yeah I don't think I've instantly loved a PJ song like this since Given To Fly.
    sinse Nothing as it Seems for me!!

It took me a long time before I loved Nothing As It Seems - I remember sulking because I was hoping for something upbeat and anthemic like Given To Fly!
  • Options
    It's growing on me, love Ed's voice in it, and it's getting regular radio play here in Philly.

Can't distinguish all the lyrics though, are they out there?
  • Options
    It's growing on me, love Ed's voice in it, and it's getting regular radio play here in Philly.

copy paste from the other thread

"
    Hear the sirens…
    Hear the sirens…
    Hear the sirens… Hear the circus so profound
    I hear the sirens… more and more in this here town

Let me catch my breath to breathe then reach across the bed
    Just to know we’re safe, I am a grateful man
    This light has been my light, and I can see you clear

I could take your hand, and feel your breath
    For fear that someday we'll be over
    I pull you close, so much to lose
    Knowing that nothing lasts forever
    I didn't care, before you were here
    I danced in laughter with the ever after
    But, all things change, let this remain

Hear the sirens… covering distance in the night
    The sound, echoing closer, will they come for me next time

Every choice, mistake I made, is not my plan
    To send you in the arms of another man
    And if you choose to stay, I’ll wait, I’ll understand

It’s a fragile thing, this life we lead, if I think too much, I can get over-
    Whelmed by the grace, by which we live our lives with death over our shoulders
    Want you to know, that should I go, I always loved you, held you high above too
    I studied your face, the fear goes away

It’s a fragile thing, this life we lead, if I think too much, I can get over-
    Whelmed by the grace, by which we live our lives with death over our shoulders
    Want you to know, that should I go, I always loved you, held you high above too
    I studied your face, the fear goes away
    The fear goes away
    The fear goes away
    The fear goes away
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    sweet lyrics, thanks Dimi
  • Options
    RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,211

Can you tell if there is a radio edit?
  • Options
    Falling hard for this song, can't get it out of my head. Another beauty by our boys!!!!
  • Options
    :think: :think: :think:
    Now I am just feeling bi-polar about it. One minute I like it and the next minute I don't. :crazy: Well, I'll give it one thing for sure - it's having an impression on my brain. :lol:
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    :think: :think: :think:
    Now I am just feeling bi-polar about it. One minute I like it and the next minute I don't. :crazy: Well, I'll give it one thing for sure - it's having an impression on my brain. :lol:
    all great things in life is like that... ;)
  • Options
    I was hoping yesterday was a bad dream and I really never heard this song. I wish this was April and this was the guys April fools joke. I'm sad...really sad...cause I've come to the realization that this song is SCARY bad. I force fed it to my ears, 25 or so times over the past 24hours trying to find a glimmer of hope but it just has gotten worse.

Sure PJ has had some sorta, tiny bit, wee tad bad, but never ever SCARY bad. (Ole)

So is this how it all ends? I'm gonna tear up, I'm really saddened. :cry: This song has me really concerned and scared!

On a lighter note....If they unfortunately do play this song live and you are on your way to do #1 during this song, you may suddenly find yourself needing to go #2 as well. However don't fret, this sucker is long enough to do both and re-fill a beer.

I pray to the PJ gods that I never get to see this live....please, please, please.
    I will take Last Kiss twice in a row or Ole then Last Kiss then Ole again.
    Oh dear dad
    Can you see me now
    I am myself
    Like you somehow
    I'll ride the wave
    Where it takes me
    I'll hold the pain
    Release me
  • Options
    Ole > Being kicked in the balls > Sirens
  • Options
    I was hoping yesterday was a bad dream and I really never heard this song. I wish this was April and this was the guys April fools joke. I'm sad...really sad...cause I've come to the realization that this song is SCARY bad. I force fed it to my ears, 25 or so times over the past 24hours trying to find a glimmer of hope but it just has gotten worse.

Sure PJ has had some sorta, tiny bit, wee tad bad, but never ever SCARY bad. (Ole)

So is this how it all ends? I'm gonna tear up, I'm really saddened. :cry: This song has me really concerned and scared!

On a lighter note....If they unfortunately do play this song live and you are on your way to do #1 during this song, you may suddenly find yourself needing to go #2 as well. However don't fret, this sucker is long enough to do both and re-fill a beer.

I pray to the PJ gods that I never get to see this live....please, please, please.
    I will take Last Kiss twice in a row or Ole then Last Kiss then Ole again.
    You are not the only person feeling like this.
    I actually also had a daydream about it being and April Fool's joke in September, and I don't even hate it. It's just so weird. :lol: That's funny you thought that also.
  • Options
    I'd rather listen to Sirens 100 times in a row that hear Ole once. :lol:
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:

Nah, Ole is only 2 and half mins the pain is over quicker :lol:
  • Options
    ed243421ed243421 Posts: 7,636
    edited September 2013
    Post edited by ed243421 on
    The whole world will be different soon... - EV
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

• Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:

Nah, Ole is only 2 and half mins the pain is over quicker :lol:
    I've been in therapy ever since they sang it on Fallon. The pain never truly stops. :lol:
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    if you would rather have a kick to your junk instead of listening to this song ... you need help in more ways than one!

:lol:
  • Options
    Where do you all stand on Rock Around Barack? :lol::lol:
  • Options
    I'm a glutton for punishment...I just gave it one more listen and a half.

Why do I feel like I just caught my girlfriend cheating on me?

:cry:
    Oh dear dad
    Can you see me now
    I am myself
    Like you somehow
    I'll ride the wave
    Where it takes me
    I'll hold the pain
    Release me