Options

"Sirens" Single + Video

Comments

• Options
    evsgjammevsgjamm Posts: 2,103
    polaris_x wrote:
    dude ... tickets are hard to come by now ... let him go! ... be polite and express your regret but deep down - we should all be doing a happy dance ... :lol:

:lol::lol: I love the wit and charm from this forum. Chanks, polaris_x for the chuckle.
    Vancouver '03, Paramount Theatre '05, Saskatoon '05, Calgary '05, Edmonton '05, Saskatoon '11, Calgary '11, Calgary '13

2010 WATCH IT GO TO FIRE!!
  • Options
    I had to turn off youtube when they all sang the "aah aah ooh" in the end.

Better musicvideo than MYM, but MYM is a better song IMO and not as "banal"... and I don't know... powerballad-esque?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Dead Man WalkingDead Man Walking Toronto-ish Posts: 2,761
    Personally, I don't like the song. I don't think it's a bad song though. I think it's actually a very good song. It just doesn't appeal to me.

I'm just glad tickets went on sale and sold out before this song was released. I have a feeling this song is going to attract a lot of new middle aged fans who have long forgotten PJ.
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    polaris_x wrote:
    sooo ... what is the average listens before it takes? ...

it took 3 listens for me ... but i would say mostly it was because i couldn't make out all the words the first couple of times ... and for me - this song's brilliance is in its lyrics ... don't get me wrong - the music is great but paired with with mediocre lyrics - the song would not take at all ...
    Mike said,he felt so proud that eddie put those lyrics to his song !!
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    edited September 2013
    The fact that a single is so polarizing is great. We've been stuck in the "yeah thats pretty good" formulaic territory for a few albums. PJ taking a couple of odd turns on this album is great news. I love that theyre taking chances of all kinds. Some I'll love and some I wont but at least this album will be different.

Riot Act was decent. Avocado is covered in dust on a shelf somewhere. Backspacer was kind of fun. None of those had me excited or intrigued though. This album already has.
    Post edited by cp3iverson on
  • Options
    IgotshitIDIgotshitID St.john's Newfoundland Posts: 894
    Personally, I don't like the song. I don't think it's a bad song though. I think it's actually a very good song. It just doesn't appeal to me.

I'm just glad tickets went on sale and sold out before this song was released. I have a feeling this song is going to attract a lot of new middle aged fans who have long forgotten PJ.

Ya i agree with the second part of this big time! At least the tour is pretty much sold out already
    St.John's 9/24/2005
    St.John's 9/25/2005
    Toronto 9/11/2011
    Toronto 9/12/2011
    Quebec City 5/5/2016
    Ottawa 5/8/2016
  • Options
    Tried watching it again, but the " ahhh ahha oooh oooh" part with them all singing had me shutting down youtube again.

But I guess I'll be hooked after 4-5 listens.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    ShadowShadow London, Ontario, Canada Posts: 177
    Just heard Sirens...100% love it! Can't wait for more new PJ!
    Escape is never --- the safest path
    2005.09.12-London; 2006.05.09-Toronto; 2007.08.05-Lolla; 2008.08.13-EV Toronto; 2009.08.21-Toronto; 2009.10.30-Philly; 2010.05.06-Columbus; 2010.05.07-Noblesville; 2011.06.26-EV Detroit; 2011.09.11-Toronto; 2011.09.12-Toronto; 2011.09.15-Hamilton; 2013.07.16-London; 2013.07.19-Wrigley Field; 2014.10.16-Detroit; 2016.05.08 Ottawa, 2016.05.10-Toronto; 2016.05.12-Toronto; 2016.08.20 Wrigley Field; 2016.08.22 Wrigley Field; 2018.08.18-Wrigley Field; 2018.08.20-Wrigley Field; 2021.09.24/25 - EV Ohana; 2021.09.26 Ohana; 2021.10.01 Ohana; 2021.10.02 - Ohana; 2022.09.03-Ottawa; 2022.09.06-Hamilton; 2022.09.08-Toronto; 2022.09.16-Nashville; 2023.08.31 7 09.02 Minnesota; 2023.09-05 & 09.07 Chicago
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,717
    Song seems a smart move generally and a great choice as a second single

If they are intent on capturing the casual listeners attention then this is the type of track to do it.

MYM as much as I love it was never going to draw in a new breed of fans...

We all saw what the fixer did for the band, and just breathe, it opened them back to a much bigger audience.

The band realise that the fans that write here often and follow the band everywhere will buy the record, they are already converted, so they reach out to radio with a quality song that will surely have universal appeal and really draw in extra demand and interest for LB?

cant see it as anything other than very smart. Good for them.

of course it helps I really like it too
  • Options
    love-boat-captainlove-boat-captain Essex. UK Posts: 476
    I still don't see how people are so surprised about this song. Although it doesn't bother me if people don't like it.

Have you all actually heard Betterman, Small Town, Last Kiss, Low Light, Come Back, Thumbing My Way, Just Breathe, Yellow Ledbetter? lol

Loving Sirens here :)

great job
    London 29-10-96, London 29/30-5-00, London 20-4-06, Reading 27-8-06, London 18-6-07, London 11-8-09, London 18-8-09, London 25-6-10, Berlin 30-6-10 / PJ20 3/4-9-11, Manchester 20-6-12, Amsterdam 26/27-6-12, EV-London 30/31-7-12, EV-Orlando 27-11-12
  • Options
    I really like it. I was scared after backspacer that they had lost their mojo. But they are back! impressed so far, roll on the live shows.
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    I still don't see how people are so surprised about this song. Although it doesn't bother me if people don't like it.

Have you all actually heard Betterman, Small Town, Last Kiss, Low Light, Come Back, Thumbing My Way, Just Breathe, Yellow Ledbetter? lol

great job
    Lol exactly. And I like Sirens better than half of those songs
  • Options
    cp3iverson wrote:

great job
    Lol exactly. And I like Sirens better than half of those songs
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,746
    cp3iverson wrote:
    The fact that a single is so polarizing is great. We've been stuck in the "yeah thats pretty good" formulaic territory for a few albums. PJ taking a couple of odd turns on this album is great news. I love that theyre taking chances of all kinds. Some I'll love and some I wont but at least this album will be different.

Riot Act was decent. Avocado is covered in dust on a shelf somewhere. Backspacer was kind of fun. None of those had me excited or intrigued though. This album already has.

Your comment about the song being polarizing is interesting. Reading more of the responses here- that really is true. I'm not so sure about the band taking chances though. Seems to me their playing it really safe and going more for commercial clout. That's just my take. It reminds me of when Jethro Tull put out "Crest of a Knave" and they fully admitted themselves it was an all out effort to be a commercial hit. It won a Grammy but it also lost them some of their fan base. I'm open minded enough to give the album as a whole a fair chance but I'm starting to feel a bit skeptical. Will see.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    pdalowsky wrote:
    Song seems a smart move generally and a great choice as a second single

If they are intent on capturing the casual listeners attention then this is the type of track to do it.

MYM as much as I love it was never going to draw in a new breed of fans...

We all saw what the fixer did for the band, and just breathe, it opened them back to a much bigger audience.

The band realise that the fans that write here often and follow the band everywhere will buy the record, they are already converted, so they reach out to radio with a quality song that will surely have universal appeal and really draw in extra demand and interest for LB?

cant see it as anything other than very smart. Good for them.

of course it helps I really like it too
    absolutely is smart move after MYM..
    and yes,MYM 9is not the song for the cusual fans,or fet new ones..
    but Getaway is the fast on that can do the job..Brilliant rockin song
  • Options
    pdalowsky wrote:
    Sirens

apparently Musical Marmite

true story..hehehehheehhehe...EPIC!!!!

0y8o.jpg
  • Options
    I'm not so sure if Pearl Jam ever play it safe. I think they just always roll with the punches and do what comes naturally at any given time and not really worry about conforming.

That's why I've been so intrigued with their music all these years.
    London 29-10-96, London 29/30-5-00, London 20-4-06, Reading 27-8-06, London 18-6-07, London 11-8-09, London 18-8-09, London 25-6-10, Berlin 30-6-10 / PJ20 3/4-9-11, Manchester 20-6-12, Amsterdam 26/27-6-12, EV-London 30/31-7-12, EV-Orlando 27-11-12
  • Options
    Isn't it too long to even have a chance on commercial radio - it's almost 6min?

And is the guitarr solo really needed? It's like they tried their hardest to fill the song up with anything that made Guns and Roses early 90's epics hits, guitarr solos, piano etc etc. This song really tries to be an epic lovesong, while their best "love songs" are ones that don't try to be.
  • Options
    I love the song! I love the video! Good job guys!! Can't wait to hear this song live and hear the rest of the album!
    8/29/00, 7/3/03, 5/24/06,6/28/08 & 6/30/08, 10/9/09,10/28/09, 10/30/09 & 10/31/09, 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10 & 5/21/10, 10/23/10 & 10/24/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 9/11/11, 9/12/11, 9/23/11, 9/22/12, 9/30/12, 7/16/13, 7/19/13
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,562
    TJ25487 wrote:
    daisky wrote:
    I just listened to this a couple of times. I think my favorite band ever has finally lost it. Such a generic and boring song.

This band keeps getting worse. Backspacer was pretty bad and this seems destined to suck even more. Compare Sirens with Parachutes for instance, that was a pretty inventive and lovely song. eh, I am sad/mad.

imo and all that.

I'll take Sirens over Parachutes and Just Breathe all day long. Parachutes just drones on, at least Sirens has a bad ass Mike solo.
    this
    I love Parachutes. Way better than both Just Breathe and Sirens IMO. But yeah, to each their own. :) I am a little of jealous of those who truly love Sirens... Wish I had a new PJ song that I really love. That's a great feeling. ;) I am wondering about the folks saying "I listened to it 11 times in a row and then started to like it!!!! Awesome!" .... If you have to listen to a song 11 times in a row to not hate it, then you are convincing yourself to like it, which means it's not a good song for you. That's just what it seems like to me, anyway. But in any case, truly love it, pretend to love it, whatever. Either one is a lot better than hating it! :lol: I've listened to it a bunch of times, and more I hear it, the more I don't like it (which is not to say I hate it). Cool. I don't expect to love every single PJ song. I truly do love their first 8 albums, and at least 90% of the songs on them, plus a ton of their other work. I am still confused by Sirens though. It gets weirder each time I hear it.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    ^^^^ that's a good point you make. The feeling of really loving a new Pearl jam song is awesome and a feeling I haven't had in a while if I'm honest, not like this. But I am loving Sirens and it was at first listen for me. I literally went "YES" to myself when I first put it on my stereo really loud, after the solo bit.

Although one thing I will say about the people getting used to it after multiple listens... I think that's cool. Some of the best songs are growers in my experience. But I have to say Sirens was instant for me.

I'm really excited about what's to come on Lightning Bolt now
    Post edited by love-boat-captain on
  • Options
    you know what..
    i usually get pissed with negative comments..

but this time im actually happy see them..and the reason is that most people saying they dont like the song cos
    pj change to something different.....

well..i love it..cos i want a fuckin 50 years old man to act like one and not act like how was as teenager..

i did all that crazy shit when i was 20 years old, i was pissed with all and everything,i cared only to get laid and get drunk..no care about feelings,or any important things..

after 22 years i want the band to put out their experience in life,by puting that in music and lyrics
    , and not try to pass me the image of the oldie stay forever fake aqngry teenager..
    and talk to me about important things,

and fuckin Love is one of them...

Love has alot of diffirent sounds and different colors..

sometimes Love talks you via colors..and can be fuckin Black...

sometimes transformed to sound ...and in your head,,you listen to Sirens

Thank You Mike and Pearl Jam for this song..

im very happy that your music and lyrics after all this years still create feelings to me.....

and im more happy cos this Brilliant song talk to my fuckin soul.....

even if you choose to stay, I'll wait, I'll understand...

However ....its not easy the Fear to Go Away..
    That's cool Dimi. :) .... But I just want to mention that I really don't think the poeple who dislike this song dislike it because EV isn't acting like a teenager. I think it has NOTHING to do with that at all. I think I said before that someone can like a matured PJ and still not like this particular song because they simply don't like its style or the way it sounds. For me, it starts out okay, and there are certain parts that are okay, but I think there are some bad arrangement choices, places where EV's (amazing) voice should not have gone up, but down instead... It really does sound like Daughtry type music. I am happy that it affected a lot of people in a positive way though. The lyrics certainly are romantic and relatable, and there is nothing wrong with that.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    you know what..
    i usually get pissed with negative comments..

but this time im actually happy see them..and the reason is that most people saying they dont like the song cos
    pj change to something different.....

well..i love it..cos i want a fuckin 50 years old man to act like one and not act like how was as teenager..

i did all that crazy shit when i was 20 years old, i was pissed with all and everything,i cared only to get laid and get drunk..no care about feelings,or any important things..

after 22 years i want the band to put out their experience in life,by puting that in music and lyrics
    , and not try to pass me the image of the oldie stay forever fake aqngry teenager..
    and talk to me about important things,

and fuckin Love is one of them...

Love has alot of diffirent sounds and different colors..

sometimes Love talks you via colors..and can be fuckin Black...

sometimes transformed to sound ...and in your head,,you listen to Sirens

Thank You Mike and Pearl Jam for this song..

im very happy that your music and lyrics after all this years still create feelings to me.....

and im more happy cos this Brilliant song talk to my fuckin soul.....

even if you choose to stay, I'll wait, I'll understand...

However ....its not easy the Fear to Go Away..
    That's cool Dimi. :) .... But I just want to mention that I really don't think the poeple who dislike this song dislike it because EV isn't acting like a teenager. I think it has NOTHING to do with that at all. I think I said before that someone can like a matured PJ and still not like this particular song because they simply don't like its style or the way it sounds. For me, it starts out okay, and there are certain parts that are okay, but I think there are some bad arrangement choices, places where EV's (amazing) voice should not have gone up, but down instead... It really does sound like Daughtry type music. I am happy that it affected a lot of people in a positive way though. The lyrics certainly are romantic and relatable, and there is nothing wrong with that.
    im sure you will like it more with time or live..and i know very well Allison,that you put things down and explain what you like or not..but not all are as you here./.
    the problem actually is the lebel.."cheesy ballad"..means for some,isnt cool for me,the angry lost teenager ,but now 45 years old dont want this shit,cos i was the cool dude at high school that listen to grunge while others listening to aerosmith and Guns & Roses/.
    well,i tell u this,if tomorrow Madonna put out a brilliant song,ill like it and listen it all day ,and i dont care if "rock "people think if its "cool" or not to listen to Madonna songs.
  • Options
    shortstackshortstack Posts: 2,339
    i haven't even heard it and i fucking hate it already
    did you see me? i saw you.
  • Options
    I think a lot of people are getting confused with changing your sound and quality.
  • Options
    I wanna love this song, I want to like this song.......I appreciate the lyrics and they ring very close to home. But without Ed singing and his sound, I truly believe this is very, VERY similar to elevator music.
  • Options
    cp3iverson wrote:
    GOODBYE EVERYBODY!! I HEAR ED AND JUSTIN TIMBERLAKE ARE GOING TO SING THIS GOD AWFUL SONG AT THE IHEARTRADIO Shows here in Vegas this weekend. First we get an album like backspacer and then MORE ED SOLO SONGS PASSING AS PJ SONGS! IF I WANTED TOP 40 RADIO CRAP,I COULD LISTEN TO THAT GARBAGE EACH DAY!! VERY DISSAPPOINTED, AS I HAVE LOVED PJ AND A LITTLE BIT OF ED's SOLO STUFF,i.e. into the Wild, BUT 2 OUT OF 3 SLOW GARBAGE LOVE SONGS with a new album and I am DONE!!!! GOOD BYE PJ NATION!!! HAVE FUN HEARING ED AND JUSTIN TIMBERLAKE SINGING MUSHY LOVE SONGS ON A TOP 40 STATION NEAR YOU!!!!!

LONG TIME FAN SINCE 1992 AND 10 CLUB MEMBER LEAVING HERE!!!

what happens if you end up thinking Infallible is their greatest song ever?

i respect all opinions and this is a very polarizing song. My whole thing is that the last 3 records for me haven't stood out much. Not much experimenting. On this album it seems like no 2 songs sound even remotely the same. One single sounds like it was inspired by 80s punk and the other could be a Nelson late 80s hair metal ballad. That sounds really intriguing to me. :lol:
    Yeah, it's a good point to mention that just because a person hates this song doesn't mean the whole album sucks. :lol: I love MYM, and the other stuff I've heard isn't bad, some better than others. But I've still only heard half the album, and so far only ONE song is really vexing me. That's cool. I also really really hate the song "Hot Dog" from LZ's In Through The Outdoor. It drives me nuts. But I think the rest of that album is awesome. ;)
  • Options
    grazmangrazman Posts: 198
    Tried watching it again, but the " ahhh ahha oooh oooh" part with them all singing had me shutting down youtube again.

But I guess I'll be hooked after 4-5 listens.

Funny cos that ahhh ahha oooh oooh part is one of my favourite parts of the song, infact the video version is stronger than the studio version on that part, on the studio version its very low in the mix and fades away.

Best song they've done since GIven to Fly imo.
    It's Evolution, Baby!
  • Options
    grazman wrote:

Yeah I don't think I've instantly loved a PJ song like this since Given To Fly.
  • Options
    grazman wrote:

Yeah I don't think I've instantly loved a PJ song like this since Given To Fly.
    sinse Nothing as it Seems for me!!