"Sirens" Single + Video

Comments

• Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,394
    I like the video. :thumbup:
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    sooo ... what is the average listens before it takes? ...

it took 3 listens for me ... but i would say mostly it was because i couldn't make out all the words the first couple of times ... and for me - this song's brilliance is in its lyrics ... don't get me wrong - the music is great but paired with with mediocre lyrics - the song would not take at all ...
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    edited September 2013
    I actually like when they do really mainstream stuff every now and then because they do it better than any other modern act. I hope this charts really high for them.......and its very PJ to do the song live for the video. Love it.
    Post edited by cp3iverson on
  • Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,394
    cp3iverson wrote:
    I actually like when they do really mainstream stuff every now and then because they do it better than any other modern act. I hope this charts really high for them.

Me too.
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    Sirens really pairs well with MYM. Makes me like MYM a whole lot more, and that's not a knock on Sirens. They contrast and show way different sides of the band, branching out but not over-reaching.

i'll take this. I can hear and make sense of the complaints. But this song is something i can feel and relate to pretty strongly actually, and i'm way more on the alt/punk/indie side of this forum's scale. Yes it veers dangerously close to a whole lot of music that i :nono: , but i can still see it's truth.

I really envy you guys/girls catching shows this year. Any of you complainers/haters who are "done with this band", i'd be more then happy to take your amazing 10club seat and sing my ass off to this song. That would be pretty great.

cheers
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,884
    justam wrote:
    cp3iverson wrote:
    I actually like when they do really mainstream stuff every now and then because they do it better than any other modern act. I hope this charts really high for them.

Me too.

Same here. And while I don't think this song will crush the charts, I would be happy for the band if it does.

I also feel there are some of the hardcore fan base that really hates when this band does something that could appeal to the mainstream, and hopes that they don't have a successful song again in that sense.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    -Emma--Emma- Sydney, Australia Posts: 2,864
    I'm in the minority then...

I can't stand it...I think it is an awful song!

I've got no problems with slow PJ or Eddie songs (I even like the song "Skipping") but I find this song very cringeworthy.
    PJ: Sydney, 11th February 2003 ♥ Sydney, 26th January 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 20th March 2011 ♥ EV: Perth, 7th February 2014 ♥ EV: Perth, 8th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 11th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 12th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 13th February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 22nd February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 23rd February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 25th February 2014 ♥

Eddie Vedder Tribute Videos - Playlist
    The EDvolution of Dance: youtu.be/-HtF3gRYHnE
    eddievedderhallpass.tumblr.com
  • Options
    vc23vc23 Posts: 28
    First, let me state my qualifcations as a "real PJ fan". I am a PJ homer. I like every song PJ has done except for Come Back and Black, Red, Yellow. I have been following this band since I was 18 back in 1992. I am old like most of you and appreciate slower more melodic songs now more than I did when was 18. I like Ole and Ukule songs.

Now my opinion of this song, I feel that the song is not authentic. If feels forced and not natural. It is like if the lyrics do not match the song. I like the lyrics but the song does not seem to fit the lyrics. As many people have stated over the past several days, it feels like PJ has been hijacked by their producer or some alien. I guess what I am trying to say is that is it the five members of PJ that run this band or their unofficial six member?

After listening to this about 10 ten times, I felt the same way I did the first time and that has never happened before. It took me a while to get into Binaural and Riot Act, but I love both of these records.

Also I read somewhere that in their opinion that this song is better than Sleight. That is the great thing about music, because in my opinion, I do not know how anyone could make this statement. But somebody likes Siren much more than Sleight. Again this is art, everyone has their own individual opinion.

First time I have ever been disappointed with a PJ song. There are greater tragedies in life for sure. I am just hoping the rest of the album feels like MYM instead of Sirens.
  • Options
    thefixer9thefixer9 Posts: 9,376
    Is the video version different then just the MP3 itself? Every time I watch the video I swear I hear Matt's backing vocals more than I do on just the normal song itself... :shifty:
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Brad- 4/21/12 (RSD Performance), 4/27/12, 8/10/12
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

PEARL JAM- 12/6/13 I have finally seen Pearl Jam live!
  • Options
    -Emma- wrote:
    I'm in the minority then...

I can't stand it...I think it is an awful song!

I've got no problems with slow PJ or Eddie songs (I even like the song "Skipping") but I find this song very cringeworthy.

Truth.
    • 98 Pgh
    • 00 Pgh
    • 03 Pgh|Philly|PSU|Camden 1+2|Hershey
    • 04 Boston 1|Reading
    • 05 Philly
    • 06 Camden 1+2|Pgh
    • 08 Camden 1+2|Hartford|Mansfield 2
    • 09 Philly 1 [EV]|Toronto|Spectrum 1-4
    • 10 Cleveland|Buffalo
    • 11 Philly [EV]|PJ20
    • 12 Philly
    • 13 London|Pgh|Buff|Philly 1+2|Balt
    • 14 Cincy|StL
    • 16 Philly 1+2|Philly 2 [TotD]
    • 18 Boston 1+2
  • Options
    vc23 wrote:
    First, let me state my qualifcations as a "real PJ fan". I am a PJ homer. I like every song PJ has done except for Come Back and Black, Red, Yellow. I have been following this band since I was 18 back in 1992. I am old like most of you and appreciate slower more melodic songs now more than I did when was 18. I like Ole and Ukule songs.

Now my opinion of this song, I feel that the song is not authentic. If feels forced and not natural. It is like if the lyrics do not match the song. I like the lyrics but the song does not seem to fit the lyrics. As many people have stated over the past several days, it feels like PJ has been hijacked by their producer or some alien. I guess what I am trying to say is that is it the five members of PJ that run this band or their unofficial six member?

After listening to this about 10 ten times, I felt the same way I did the first time and that has never happened before. It took me a while to get into Binaural and Riot Act, but I love both of these records.

Also I read somewhere that in their opinion that this song is better than Sleight. That is the great thing about music, because in my opinion, I do not know how anyone could make this statement. But somebody likes Siren much more than Sleight. Again this is art, everyone has their own individual opinion.

First time I have ever been disappointed with a PJ song. There are greater tragedies in life for sure. I am just hoping the rest of the album feels like MYM instead of Sirens.

Also truth.

I can't imagine this holding a candle to Sleight of Hand.
    • 98 Pgh
    • 00 Pgh
    • 03 Pgh|Philly|PSU|Camden 1+2|Hershey
    • 04 Boston 1|Reading
    • 05 Philly
    • 06 Camden 1+2|Pgh
    • 08 Camden 1+2|Hartford|Mansfield 2
    • 09 Philly 1 [EV]|Toronto|Spectrum 1-4
    • 10 Cleveland|Buffalo
    • 11 Philly [EV]|PJ20
    • 12 Philly
    • 13 London|Pgh|Buff|Philly 1+2|Balt
    • 14 Cincy|StL
    • 16 Philly 1+2|Philly 2 [TotD]
    • 18 Boston 1+2
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,717
    Sirens

apparently Musical Marmite
  • Options
    First listen: WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS I DON'T EVEN...

Second listen: This could be a Creed single

Third listen: I REALLY dislike the glossy production. The solo kicks some serious fucking ass though I guess....

Fourth listen: Hmmmm, that chorus melody sure does sneak up on you huh?

Fifth listen: Ed's voice sounds pretty great on this actually.....

Sixth listen: Ok, even starting to like that little rapid chord progression thing in the bridge now....

Seventh listen: Man, that fucking solo.

Eighth listen: I've just listened to this son of a bitch all the way through, 8 times in a row

Ninth listen: Breaking out the air guitar now

Tenth listen: I FUCKING LOVE THIS.

God damn it Pearl Jam, you've done it again. Sorry for ever doubting you xx[/quote]

:D
  • Options
    swardsward Posts: 586
    thefixer9 wrote:
    Is the video version different then just the MP3 itself? Every time I watch the video I swear I hear Matt's backing vocals more than I do on just the normal song itself... :shifty:

Yes. The video is a live take of the song.
  • Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,170
    I really like it, 1st listen wasnt sure if I did
  • Options
    Speaking as a long-time fan of this band, I have to say I really like Sirens....I would "love" it if there were no piano (no offense, Boom) and no "ah ah oh oh" at the end (gives it too much of a schlocky sound for my liking). To my ear, it sounds very Binaural-y (one of my favourite albums) with just a pinch of BS (thankfully not more than that). Given the range shown from their releases thus far with MYM and now Sirens, I can't wait to hear the rest of the album.

Just my two cents.

(and this song doesn't hold a candle to Sleight--just sayin')
    If you hate somethin', don't you do it too.

Winnipeg, Sept 8/2005
    Chicago, Aug 23&24/2009
    Alpine Valley, Sept 3&4/2011
    Winnipeg, Sept 17/2011
    Saskatoon, Sept 19/2011
    Edmonton, Sept 23/2011
    EV SOLO, Minneapolis/St. Louis 2011
    London, July 16/2013
  • Options
    As for the video, I actually like it more than the MYM one.
    The simpler, the better, I think.
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,979
    This will be one that I skip because I'm not big on the slow stuff.

That being said I think it's a good song. I'm a little surprised that it has such a country crossover to it but I can see a lot of people really finding meaning in it....which is what it's all about right?
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    you know what..
    i usually get pissed with negative comments..

but this time im actually happy see them..and the reason is that most people saying they dont like the song cos
    pj change to something different.....

well..i love it..cos i want a fuckin 50 years old man to act like one and not act like how was as teenager..

i did all that crazy shit when i was 20 years old, i was pissed with all and everything,i cared only to get laid and get drunk..no care about feelings,or any important things..

after 22 years i want the band to put out their experience in life,by puting that in music and lyrics
    , and not try to pass me the image of the oldie stay forever fake aqngry teenager..
    and talk to me about important things,

and fuckin Love is one of them...

Love has alot of diffirent sounds and different colors..

sometimes Love talks you via colors..and can be fuckin Black...

sometimes transformed to sound ...and in your head,,you listen to Sirens

Thank You Mike and Pearl Jam for this song..

im very happy that your music and lyrics after all this years still create feelings to me.....

and im more happy cos this Brilliant song talk to my fuckin soul.....

even if you choose to stay, I'll wait, I'll understand...

However ....its not easy the Fear to Go Away..

:clap::clap: This song is perfect for me, It's a full team effort on this one and there will be a great sing along on especially at the end. For those of you saying this song will not be played at shows, give your head a shake, Brendan OB is saying it's one of the greatest songs they've even written, don't you think the band feels this way as well??? woooooooo
    Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,884
    pdalowsky wrote:
    Sirens

apparently Musical Marmite

:lol:
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    Blown away! Very powerful. It's got an emotive passion that grabs you. Backspacer had the vulnerable feel of Just Breathe and The End, but this is an all-in, unguarded declaration of love straight from the heart.

Thank you, Pearl Jam. I am in debt to what you have given me throughout my life! :D
  • Options
    I'm just looking forward to the Sirens - Sleeping By Myself - Future Days - Just Breathe encores

:|

:lol:
  • Options
    great song & great video!
  • Options
    As a longtime PJ fan and a big fan of music, this really is a great great song...
  • Options
    evsgjammevsgjamm Posts: 2,103
    GOODBYE EVERYBODY!! I HEAR ED AND JUSTIN TIMBERLAKE ARE GOING TO SING THIS GOD AWFUL SONG AT THE IHEARTRADIO Shows here in Vegas this weekend. First we get an album like backspacer and then MORE ED SOLO SONGS PASSING AS PJ SONGS! IF I WANTED TOP 40 RADIO CRAP,I COULD LISTEN TO THAT GARBAGE EACH DAY!! VERY DISSAPPOINTED, AS I HAVE LOVED PJ AND A LITTLE BIT OF ED's SOLO STUFF,i.e. into the Wild, BUT 2 OUT OF 3 SLOW GARBAGE LOVE SONGS with a new album and I am DONE!!!! GOOD BYE PJ NATION!!! HAVE FUN HEARING ED AND JUSTIN TIMBERLAKE SINGING MUSHY LOVE SONGS ON A TOP 40 STATION NEAR YOU!!!!!

LONG TIME FAN SINCE 1992 AND 10 CLUB MEMBER LEAVING HERE!!!

Just off and slamming the door behind ya eh? Don't want to talk it over with anyone before you seal the deal do ya? A 22 year marriage just all of a sudden "worthless" to you? Really? Are you REALLY certain you want to burn all your albums, toss out all your poster and t-shirts, erase your memories and live a life of depression now? Over a song? Millions of posts on the forum, epic tours and MORE TO COME, all the greats from the early 90's, the character, the class, the big hearts, the bad ass attitude... you know, it takes a real man to wear pink once in a while. The boys have shown they're confident with getting in touch with the softer side of life. Yet they can still wail out Lukin at the drop of a hat! You sir... have over exaggerated your post into something totally unworthy. GIVE YOUR GOD DAMN HEAD A SHAKE BOY! Take a leave of absence and come back in a year. You'll regret not renewing your membership after all these years. Take a pill, pour yourself a drink, put on a Steelers game and grab a burger. It'll all be ok. WE'RE ALL STILL ALIIIIIVE!!! YAH YEA YEA!!!!!! (solo of a lifetime)
    Vancouver '03, Paramount Theatre '05, Saskatoon '05, Calgary '05, Edmonton '05, Saskatoon '11, Calgary '11, Calgary '13

2010 WATCH IT GO TO FIRE!!
  • Options
    Abortions for some... miniature American flags for others!!

Regards,

Kang
    RDS Dublin - Aug 26 1995 (Neil Young with Pearl Jam)
    Millstreet Arena - Oct 24, 1996
    The Point - Oct 26, 1996
    The Point - Jun 01, 2000
    The Point - Aug 23, 2006
    Wembley Arena - Jun 18, 2007
    Manchester Evening News Arena - Aug 17, 2009
    The O2 - Jun 22, 2010
    Odyssey Arena - Jun 23, 2010
    Manchester Evening News Arena - Jun 20 2012
    Amsterdam Ziggo Dome - Jun 26 2012
    Amsterdam Ziggo Dome - Jun 16 2014
  • Options
    cmm6734cmm6734 Houston, TX Posts: 569
    GOODBYE EVERYBODY!! I HEAR ED AND JUSTIN TIMBERLAKE ARE GOING TO SING THIS GOD AWFUL SONG AT THE IHEARTRADIO Shows here in Vegas this weekend. First we get an album like backspacer and then MORE ED SOLO SONGS PASSING AS PJ SONGS! IF I WANTED TOP 40 RADIO CRAP,I COULD LISTEN TO THAT GARBAGE EACH DAY!! VERY DISSAPPOINTED, AS I HAVE LOVED PJ AND A LITTLE BIT OF ED's SOLO STUFF,i.e. into the Wild, BUT 2 OUT OF 3 SLOW GARBAGE LOVE SONGS with a new album and I am DONE!!!! GOOD BYE PJ NATION!!! HAVE FUN HEARING ED AND JUSTIN TIMBERLAKE SINGING MUSHY LOVE SONGS ON A TOP 40 STATION NEAR YOU!!!!!

Bye then!

Right, where was I? Oh yeah....

First listen: WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS I DON'T EVEN...

Second listen: This could be a Creed single

Third listen: I REALLY dislike the glossy production. The solo kicks some serious fucking ass though I guess....

Fourth listen: Hmmmm, that chorus melody sure does sneak up on you huh?

Fifth listen: Ed's voice sounds pretty great on this actually.....

Sixth listen: Ok, even starting to like that little rapid chord progression thing in the bridge now....

Seventh listen: Man, that fucking solo.

Eighth listen: I've just listened to this son of a bitch all the way through, 8 times in a row

Ninth listen: Breaking out the air guitar now

Tenth listen: I FUCKING LOVE THIS.

God damn it Pearl Jam, you've done it again. Sorry for ever doubting you xx

LMAO, perfect explanation.

I actually liked it after about 2 listens. The first listen just surprised me. I wouldn't call myself a "PJ Sheep". If I don't like a song, I will be the first to say it. All my friends know I am a PJ geek and they don't want to express their opinions on songs, because they think it might offend me. If you don't like a song, that is perfectly ok with me. The same goes here. I love this song, and if you don't, then that is cool. I connected with it immediately, and that is what music is to me. Enjoy the tunes!
    40+ shows, it is never enough!
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    evsgjamm wrote:
    Just off and slamming the door behind ya eh? Don't want to talk it over with anyone before you seal the deal do ya? A 22 year marriage just all of a sudden "worthless" to you? Really? Are you REALLY certain you want to burn all your albums, toss out all your poster and t-shirts, erase your memories and live a life of depression now? Over a song? Millions of posts on the forum, epic tours and MORE TO COME, all the greats from the early 90's, the character, the class, the big hearts, the bad ass attitude... you know, it takes a real man to wear pink once in a while. The boys have shown they're confident with getting in touch with the softer side of life. Yet they can still wail out Lukin at the drop of a hat! You sir... have over exaggerated your post into something totally unworthy. GIVE YOUR GOD DAMN HEAD A SHAKE BOY! Take a leave of absence and come back in a year. You'll regret not renewing your membership after all these years. Take a pill, pour yourself a drink, put on a Steelers game and grab a burger. It'll all be ok. WE'RE ALL STILL ALIIIIIVE!!! YAH YEA YEA!!!!!! (solo of a lifetime)

dude ... tickets are hard to come by now ... let him go! ... be polite and express your regret but deep down - we should all be doing a happy dance ... :lol:
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,879

CAPS LOCK FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,635
    polaris_x wrote:
    evsgjamm wrote:

dude ... tickets are hard to come by now ... let him go! ... be polite and express your regret but deep down - we should all be doing a happy dance ... :lol:

:lol::lol:

I would think that a band has the right to make whatever music they like making so long as it is not inciting hate riots or something. Clearly this is what they want to play and some of us will like it and others won't. If not liking an album or two from a band you claim to have loved for 20+ years throws you off that much....well then goodbye friend. Certainly your right to feel how you want about the music.
    I am dying to hear the rest of the album and Ed could play any of his songs with The Wiggles for all I care. If it makes him happy, cool.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved