Options

"Sirens" Single + Video

Comments

• Options
    E.KE.K New South Wales, Australia Posts: 7,700
    you know what..
    i usually get pissed with negative comments..

but this time im actually happy see them..and the reason is that most people saying they dont like the song cos
    pj change to something different.....

well..i love it..cos i want a fuckin 50 years old man to act like one and not act like how was as teenager..

i did all that crazy shit when i was 20 years old, i was pissed with all and everything,i cared only to get laid and get drunk..no care about feelings,or any important things..

after 22 years i want the band to put out their experience in life,by puting that in music and lyrics
    , and not try to pass me the image of the oldie stay forever fake aqngry teenager..
    and talk to me about important things,

and fuckin Love is one of them...

Love has alot of diffirent sounds and different colors..

sometimes Love talks you via colors..and can be fuckin Black...

sometimes transformed to sound ...and in your head,,you listen to Sirens

Thank You Mike and Pearl Jam for this song..

im very happy that your music and lyrics after all this years still create feelings to me.....

and im more happy cos this Brilliant song talk to my fuckin soul.....

even if you choose to stay, I'll wait, I'll understand...

However ....its not easy the Fear to Go Away..

Hey, hey, hey Dimi! Only Matt and Jeff are aged 50. Eddie is still a young man at 48 and Mike and Stone are still boys at 47. :)
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    jjflash wrote:
    After first listen me likey, excellent song :clap: Love the existential lyrics. Ed's voice sounds fantastic. Has room when played live for Boom solos, Mike solos, and one massive sing-along....."AH AH, OH OH AH AH, OH OH....."
    that sing along at the end..im very curius how will be at live show
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    Michael ScarnMichael Scarn Northampton, UK Posts: 32
    So I've listened to it 10x back to back; and it's still too early to decide where it will stand in the grand pantheon of PJ ballads.. But I certainly don't hate it. I've always loved how diverse a pearl jam record is; rocker, rocker, mid-tempo, balled, rocker etc.

My favourite Pearl Jam song tends to switch between RVM, State of L&t and Come Back, so I'm very partial to a slow song I think Sirens could be a real grower.
    Twitter
    [London, 02 Arena 18.8.2009]
    [London, Hyde Park 25.6.2010]
    [Manchester, MEN 21.6.2012]
    [Amsterdam, Ziggo Dome 16.6.2014]
    [Milton Keynes, MK Bowl 11.7.2014]
  • Options
    E.K wrote:
    :clap::clap:
    tcadd94 wrote:
    Don't people understand that the band has grown up? They're not in their 20s anymore. It's called evolving. If a band doesn't evolve and they keep putting out the same type of song I'd be bored as hell. I really like this one.

No ... people still want to see Eddie with waist length greasy hair, old brown T-shirt, arms crossed in front of his chest, rolling his eyes and screaming out unintelligible words.

;)
    yeah,eddie looks hot thread prooves that!! ;)
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    I will say, that I hope the album has more numbers like MYM, but I really like the song. What I love about it most is how it contrasts to MYM. Thats what I love about these guys. One minute its GO, the next Around the Bend. Same in this case.

Another really subtle but great use of Boom as well.

And from what I can hear BOB has done a fantastic job. Cant wait to drop the needle on this bad boy!
    RDS Dublin - Aug 26 1995 (Neil Young with Pearl Jam)
    Millstreet Arena - Oct 24, 1996
    The Point - Oct 26, 1996
    The Point - Jun 01, 2000
    The Point - Aug 23, 2006
    Wembley Arena - Jun 18, 2007
    Manchester Evening News Arena - Aug 17, 2009
    The O2 - Jun 22, 2010
    Odyssey Arena - Jun 23, 2010
    Manchester Evening News Arena - Jun 20 2012
    Amsterdam Ziggo Dome - Jun 26 2012
    Amsterdam Ziggo Dome - Jun 16 2014
  • Options
    cp3iverson wrote:
    Song is amazing. Best single from them since Nothing as it Seems IMO
    fixed
  • Options
    E.KE.K New South Wales, Australia Posts: 7,700
  • Options
    All the talk about those of us who may not like the song because we're stuck in the past....Is this sound / arrangement not considered the past?

As in before PJ, like an early eighties ballad?

I guess I'm stuck on advancing into the future and this just goes way too far back for me.

Am I crazy or have they re-invented the wheel here? Is this a revolutionary, game changing, mind blowing track?

All I'm getting is a Lifetime movie soundtrack vibe off it.

This sort of thing is why they make Hallmark cards. I don't like my Pearl Jam goin all lovey dovey on me.
    Is there a Yoko ono thing goin on with one of the guys I don't know about? :lol:

Totally agree. I have to admit I had no time to read the lyrics yet, so I can't say anything about that, but that music... the only thing that can save this song is all they did before BS... YES, I'm stuck in the past. I'll sing along with Amongst the Waves and yes, Sirens probably, knowing that the song that comes after those ones is something great. I can't describe my disappointment and how cold musically this song has left me. It's so plain and so banal.
    She holds the hand that holds her down...
    She will... rise above...
  • Options
    False_BeliefFalse_Belief Cardiff Posts: 749
    GOODBYE EVERYBODY!! I HEAR ED AND JUSTIN TIMBERLAKE ARE GOING TO SING THIS GOD AWFUL SONG AT THE IHEARTRADIO Shows here in Vegas this weekend. First we get an album like backspacer and then MORE ED SOLO SONGS PASSING AS PJ SONGS! IF I WANTED TOP 40 RADIO CRAP,I COULD LISTEN TO THAT GARBAGE EACH DAY!! VERY DISSAPPOINTED, AS I HAVE LOVED PJ AND A LITTLE BIT OF ED's SOLO STUFF,i.e. into the Wild, BUT 2 OUT OF 3 SLOW GARBAGE LOVE SONGS with a new album and I am DONE!!!! GOOD BYE PJ NATION!!! HAVE FUN HEARING ED AND JUSTIN TIMBERLAKE SINGING MUSHY LOVE SONGS ON A TOP 40 STATION NEAR YOU!!!!!

LONG TIME FAN SINCE 1992 AND 10 CLUB MEMBER LEAVING HERE!!!

Bye then!

Right, where was I? Oh yeah....

First listen: WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS I DON'T EVEN...

Second listen: This could be a Creed single

Third listen: I REALLY dislike the glossy production. The solo kicks some serious fucking ass though I guess....

Fourth listen: Hmmmm, that chorus melody sure does sneak up on you huh?

Fifth listen: Ed's voice sounds pretty great on this actually.....

Sixth listen: Ok, even starting to like that little rapid chord progression thing in the bridge now....

Seventh listen: Man, that fucking solo.

Eighth listen: I've just listened to this son of a bitch all the way through, 8 times in a row

Ninth listen: Breaking out the air guitar now

Tenth listen: I FUCKING LOVE THIS.

God damn it Pearl Jam, you've done it again. Sorry for ever doubting you xx

Leeds 2006, London 2007, Hartford 2008, London Shepherds Bush 2009, London O2 2009, Dublin 2010, London Hyde Park 2010, Amsterdam 1 2012, Amsterdam 2 2012, Berlin 1 2012, EV solo London 30/7/2012, Berlin 2014, Stockholm 2014, Milton Keynes 2014, Amsterdam 1 2018, London 1 2018, London 2 2018, EV solo Dublin 2019, London 1 2022, London 2 2022, New York City 2022 

• Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,717
    Love it, absolutely love it.

also loved MYM. cant wait for LB.
  • Options
    love-boat-captainlove-boat-captain Essex. UK Posts: 476
    ^^^^ agree. I absolutely love this song.
    London 29-10-96, London 29/30-5-00, London 20-4-06, Reading 27-8-06, London 18-6-07, London 11-8-09, London 18-8-09, London 25-6-10, Berlin 30-6-10 / PJ20 3/4-9-11, Manchester 20-6-12, Amsterdam 26/27-6-12, EV-London 30/31-7-12, EV-Orlando 27-11-12
  • Options
    love-boat-captainlove-boat-captain Essex. UK Posts: 476
    I really like MYM, but PJ can write those songs in their sleep, it's their bread and butter stuff.

Sirens is pretty damn special.
    London 29-10-96, London 29/30-5-00, London 20-4-06, Reading 27-8-06, London 18-6-07, London 11-8-09, London 18-8-09, London 25-6-10, Berlin 30-6-10 / PJ20 3/4-9-11, Manchester 20-6-12, Amsterdam 26/27-6-12, EV-London 30/31-7-12, EV-Orlando 27-11-12
  • Options

Bye then!

Third listen: I REALLY dislike the glossy production. The solo kicks some serious fucking ass though I guess....

Sixth listen: Ok, even starting to like that little rapid chord progression thing in the bridge now....

Eighth listen: I've just listened to this son of a bitch all the way through, 8 times in a row

hahahhahahahaha..that was awesome!!
  • Options
    pdalowsky wrote:
    Love it, absolutely love it.

:D:D:D
  • Options
    swardsward Posts: 586
    I think the people thinking 'cheese' are just stuck on the slight turn the boys have made with this song. It takes repeated listens to shake that, but if you commit to it, I think most of you can get to where a lot of us have.

Its fucking awesome.

I'm 40 years old. I have kids. I have a wife. I love being part of their lives each and every day. A song like this reminds me of that fact and, its been a long time since I've done this with any song, but I put this tune on and close my eyes and i'm invested in it every bit as I was the first time I heard Release. Pretty special moment.

So, word of advice - If you don't like the song. Skip it. Move onto something else. There will be other songs. There are over a hundred existing ones to choose from this band. Thousands from other bands. If you can't get to where you enjoy the song, set it aside and find your poison elsewhere. But make yourself a promise you'll come back to it because at some point in your life (i hope), this song is really going to mean something.
  • Options
    redrawredraw Posts: 1,275
    sward wrote:
    I think the people thinking 'cheese' are just stuck on the slight turn the boys have made with this song. It takes repeated listens to shake that, but if you commit to it, I think most of you can get to where a lot of us have.

Its fucking awesome.

I'm 40 years old. I have kids. I have a wife. I love being part of their lives each and every day. A song like this reminds me of that fact and, its been a long time since I've done this with any song, but I put this tune on and close my eyes and i'm invested in it every bit as I was the first time I heard Release. Pretty special moment.

So, word of advice - If you don't like the song. Skip it. Move onto something else. There will be other songs. There are over a hundred existing ones to choose from this band. Thousands from other bands. If you can't get to where you enjoy the song, set it aside and find your poison elsewhere. But make yourself a promise you'll come back to it because at some point in your life (i hope), this song is really going to mean something.

Well said sir!!!
    :clap: :thumbup: :clap: :thumbup: :clap: :thumbup:
    '95: Brisbane BEC March 21 & 22 '98: Brisbane BEC March 14 & 15 '03: Brad Surfers Paradise Troccadero Jan 11
    '03: Brisbane BEC Feb 8 '06: Brisbane BEC Nov 10 & 11 '09: Brisbane QSAC Nov 25
    '11: EV Solo Brisbane QPAC March 10, 12 & 13 '11: PJ20 Alpine Valley Sep 3 & 4
    '14: Gold Coast BDO Jan 19 EV Solo QPAC Feb 22, 23 & 25
  • Options
    redraw wrote:
    sward wrote:

Its fucking awesome.

Well said sir!!!
    :clap: :thumbup: :clap: :thumbup: :clap: :thumbup:
  • Options
    geckogecko Posts: 1,712
    Great song and video, love Mike's guitars, and the little smile... Eddie's singing is breathtaking, lyrics as well. They have a good thing here. I think they are brave to go big with a ballad.
    Cannot wait to hear the whole album.
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    GOODBYE EVERYBODY!! I HEAR ED AND JUSTIN TIMBERLAKE ARE GOING TO SING THIS GOD AWFUL SONG AT THE IHEARTRADIO Shows here in Vegas this weekend. First we get an album like backspacer and then MORE ED SOLO SONGS PASSING AS PJ SONGS! IF I WANTED TOP 40 RADIO CRAP,I COULD LISTEN TO THAT GARBAGE EACH DAY!! VERY DISSAPPOINTED, AS I HAVE LOVED PJ AND A LITTLE BIT OF ED's SOLO STUFF,i.e. into the Wild, BUT 2 OUT OF 3 SLOW GARBAGE LOVE SONGS with a new album and I am DONE!!!! GOOD BYE PJ NATION!!! HAVE FUN HEARING ED AND JUSTIN TIMBERLAKE SINGING MUSHY LOVE SONGS ON A TOP 40 STATION NEAR YOU!!!!!

LONG TIME FAN SINCE 1992 AND 10 CLUB MEMBER LEAVING HERE!!!

what happens if you end up thinking Infallible is their greatest song ever?

i respect all opinions and this is a very polarizing song. My whole thing is that the last 3 records for me haven't stood out much. Not much experimenting. On this album it seems like no 2 songs sound even remotely the same. One single sounds like it was inspired by 80s punk and the other could be a Nelson late 80s hair metal ballad. That sounds really intriguing to me. :lol:
  • Options
    Brilliant!!! I love it and cant wait to hear it live!!
    Getting Sooooooo Excited !!!(*^^*)
    The waiting drove me mad!!!
  • Options
    UNH1995UNH1995 Worcester Posts: 356
    I love this song. Makes me teary eyed at times.
    Took 5 listens to figure out they were saying The Fear Goes Away at the end.
    I LOVE that they are all singing together at the end, I don't remember that happening too often before this.

Well done. So excited for 10/15 and 10/16 in Worcester!!!
    Lalapalooza 1992, Orphium Boston 1994, Hartford 1998, Mansfield 1998, Mansfield 2000, Mansfield 2003(1&3), West Palm 2003, State College 2003, Boston 2004, Albany 2006, Hartford 2006, Chicago 2006, Boston 2006, Mansfield 2008(1&2), Hartford 2008, Hartford 2010, Boston 2010, Worcester 2013 (1&2), All Four Fenway shows 2016 & 2018.
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    Till I hear a song few times don't try to love or hate it. Hell I started liking van Halens Ice Cream man after 20 years. It is a mushy lovc ballad and it was released as single for radio play. Coincidence? I think not. Looking forward to spinning record in its entirety when it comes out. We are soooo lucky to have gotten so much kick ass music from these gentlemen that even if there is one gem..........BONUS.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    I've tried 3 times. Haven't been able to get through it yet. I think it's awful.

And I can handle slow stuff. Black? Awesome. Thin Air? One of my and my wife's faves, and the song we had our first dance to at our wedding. Speed of Sound? Beautiful (until the full band got their hands on Ed's demo, that is).

I was just waiting for Michael Bolton sax solo in place of Mike's out-of-place guitar solo. Just as one song (MYM) heightened my hopes for this album, one song (Sirens) has pulled the rug out from underneath them.

:fp:
    • 98 Pgh
    • 00 Pgh
    • 03 Pgh|Philly|PSU|Camden 1+2|Hershey
    • 04 Boston 1|Reading
    • 05 Philly
    • 06 Camden 1+2|Pgh
    • 08 Camden 1+2|Hartford|Mansfield 2
    • 09 Philly 1 [EV]|Toronto|Spectrum 1-4
    • 10 Cleveland|Buffalo
    • 11 Philly [EV]|PJ20
    • 12 Philly
    • 13 London|Pgh|Buff|Philly 1+2|Balt
    • 14 Cincy|StL
    • 16 Philly 1+2|Philly 2 [TotD]
    • 18 Boston 1+2
  • Options
    Here in Jakarta, Indonesia, just happy by reality to (again) have a Pearl Jam song can be enjoyed together with my teenage son from 1D era.. after The Fixer and Better Man ...:)
  • Options
    Miss TerriMiss Terri Bucksport, ME USA Posts: 24
    Absolutely love it! One of my favorite things about PJ is that they are never predictable....right from the beginning, never the same setlist twice and never the same genre of music. Variety is the spice of life....and I like my life SPICY! :D:lol:
    Makes much more sense to live in the present tense....

Vedder-Boston 6/16/2011
    Pearl Jam~Worcester, MA 10/15/2013
    Pearl Jam~Fenway Park 8/07/2016
  • Options
    Yes Yes Yes!!! This will be a classic live...
  • Options
    Bye then!

Hahahahaha... The greatest opinion so far :D
    Dear Pearl Jam, please come & play Jakarta, Indonesia
  • Options
    SpagsSpags Leigh-on-Sea, UK Posts: 2,935
    Oh man, I love pretty much everything about this song. If this is cheese then give me two slices of bread cos I'm eating it right up!

That video is awesome too - yeah the flashing light is a bit overly done, but when the whole band come together at the end - fucking magic!!!! Matt on backing vocals too - prefer the vid sound to the single, but great that we get too versions of Mike's solo. Today is a happy day.
    Nature drunk and High
  • Options
    shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,783
    Bye then!

Hahahahaha... The greatest opinion so far :D

:lol:
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 New York City
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/02/18 Fenway 1 9/04/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden
  • Options
    Wasn't sure what I thought after the first listen on my laptop (which is never a good way to hear a song for the first time), but after a few listens on headphones yesterday and today, I'm absolutely loving the song also. If I'd heard this in the context of the full album, without all the pre-release talk about the song, it probably would be one of my favorite PJ songs of all time. Right now, it still may get there. Great stuff.