Options

Lottery... So much for appeasing the loyal fanbase.

Comments

• Options
    PJ2k3PJ2k3 Posts: 218
    MayDay10 wrote:
    wrong.
    I won the only show I went for... and my member number is likely in the lower 50%.

But I can see down the road that this system is ripe to be raided by those who profit off of ticket resales... or pockets of fans who want to and can hit most of a tour and dont mind reselling to cover costs.
    This will leave people like me, who hope to go to one show and hopefully land a "special" show once in awhile at a severe disadvantage.

There's just no way to do it that doesn't put someone at a disadvantage. Sure, someone can put in for 10 shows and get 7 of them while you put in for 1 and get 0. The fact is that this system cannot take into account the number of shows you put in for. It's a show by show drawing. They could say 'ok, instead of limiting it to 1 show per city, we'll do it by region.' But that'll piss people off too. The ultimate goal is to sell out venues. You still have a shot at public onsale. You still have a shot at all the people who got a pair that don't have a partner or who have extras. If you really want to go to a show, you can still get to that show. But people don't realize that all this complaining is just making it harder to score tickets as the policy gets more strict.
    9/24/96, 6/14/98, 9/18/98, 8/3/00, 9/1/00, 9/4/00, 4/28/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/1/04, 9/15/05, 9/16/05, 9/19/05, 9/30/05, 10/03/05, 5/13/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 8/7/08 (Eddie solo)
  • Options
    KingJeremyDKingJeremyD Posts: 2,313
    Limit each fan 2 to 3 shows per a tour...One fan winning 5 out 5 choices...While another lost all 7 choices.....I just don't think this is right.....Limit the amount of shows a fan can go to per tour....This will increase the chances of more fans being able to go...
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,238
    Limit each fan 2 to 3 shows per a tour...One fan winning 5 out 5 choices...While another lost all 7 choices.....I just don't think this is right.....Limit the amount of shows a fan can go to per tour....This will increase the chances of more fans being able to go...
    Wouldn't be a bad idea, and if the concern was they'd have lots of leftovers in lower demand markets, have a second drawing for whatever was left for anyone who wanted after everyone got their 2 show allotment shot. Would give folks a better shot at their local shows and travellers could go after leftovers (though there'd never be leftovers in the most desirable markets).
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    KingJeremyDKingJeremyD Posts: 2,313
    Poncier wrote:
    Wouldn't be a bad idea, and if the concern was they'd have lots of leftovers in lower demand markets, have a second drawing for whatever was left for anyone who wanted after everyone got their 2 show allotment shot. Would give folks a better shot at their local shows and travellers could go after leftovers (though there'd never be leftovers in the most desirable markets).

sounds like a good plan to me...really do need to see more than 2 to 3 pearl jam concerts per a tour..i use to want to go as many as i could..but now older have more important things to spend my money on

jeremy
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,884

What, so fans that chose shows that were less in demand should not be able to get those tickets? It is not the fault of the fan that can go to more than one show vs the one that can not. A person that can go to multiple shows should not be allowed to choose a high demand show for tickets? Or a fan that can choose a high demand show and a smaller demand show should not be allowed to do both? Even If 1 show per tour, the person that lost out all choice may still lose out for a high demand show. You really think supply and demand are equal for all of these shows?
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options

I agree with this. It will also give more fans in a shows local market a better chance at their respective show.
  • Options
    RedMosquito22RedMosquito22 Posts: 8,158
    edited July 2013
    Honestly the only way to appease every fan is to go back to 70+ show tours. This however is not going to happen.
    Member 164xxx

8/15/92, 9/28/96, 8/28/98, 8/29/98, 9/18/98, 8/3/00, 8/9/00, 8/10/00, 8/23/00, 8/25/00, 9/1/00, 9/2/00, 4/28/03, 6/18/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 10/1/04, 10/3/05, 6/19/08, 10/27/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/21/13

More to Come....
  • Options
    KimmiebyromKimmiebyrom Posts: 1,832
    The plus side of the lottery in this instance is that it looks like more 10c tickets are getting into the hands of actual fans from the club. Granted, there are those who are scalpers, but seeing that most people who put in got at least one show, that's pretty great. I know a lot got shut out, but if I'm going by posts I've seen in the past day and 1/2, most everyone got something. If the goal was to get more tickets into the hands of 10c'ers, then this was a success.

I'm very sorry to those who were shut out of their hometown/most wanted shows. I will be scouring the board/FB trying to help people out as I can.
    2003 Dallas
    2013 Wrigley
    2013 Dallas
    2013 Oklahoma City
    2013 Seattle

How I choose to feel is how I am.
    There's just one word I still believe...and it's LOVE.
    "Take care of one another..." -EV
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    ..One fan winning 5 out 5 choices...While another lost all 7 choices.....I just don't think this is right.......
    Its right if the 7 choices were all NYC, Boston, Philly and Hartford while the 5 choices were Charlotte, OKC, Phoenix, etc.

You get the picture.
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,884
    Honestly the only way to appease every fan is to go back to 70+ show tours. This however is not going to happen.

pretty much this.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    You should be able to find tickets to most shows you want to attend, via ten club, then ticketmaster, and lastly a reseller site without going broke.

Just because Stub-Hub was ridiculous for Wrigley Field does not mean it will be ridiculous for a Tuesday in Philly. I know the day before a sold out Radiohead show in San Jose, I could get decent seats for a 20 dollar mark up per ticket.

Like was mentioned earlier, since senority matters for reserved seating anyways, the only difference seems to be that we don't have to take a day off of work to get tickets any more. Put in for what you want. See what you get. Fill in the rest of the spots via the public outlets for tickets.
    10/31/2000 (****)
    6/7/2003 (***1/2)
    7/9/2006 (****1/2)
    7/13/2006 (**** )
    4/10/2008 EV Solo (****1/2)
    6/25/2008 MSG II (*****)
    10/1/2009 LA II (****)
    10/6/2009 LA III (***** Cornell!!!)
  • Options

Yeah, that is probably the issue now. This won't happen going forward, which is all the more reason to limit the shows to 2 or 3 per tour per person ;)
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,837
    You should be able to find tickets to most shows you want to attend, via ten club, then ticketmaster, and lastly a reseller site without going broke.

Just because Stub-Hub was ridiculous for Wrigley Field does not mean it will be ridiculous for a Tuesday in Philly. I know the day before a sold out Radiohead show in San Jose, I could get decent seats for a 20 dollar mark up per ticket.

Like was mentioned earlier, since senority matters for reserved seating anyways, the only difference seems to be that we don't have to take a day off of work to get tickets any more. Put in for what you want. See what you get. Fill in the rest of the spots via the public outlets for tickets.

I agree, except for Wrigley there are usually reasonable deals out there. During the Canadian tour in 2011 I don't think they sold out every show and that was just after PJ20. NY on the weekend will be pricey but I don't think Philly will be too bad. They me be very high just after the public sale but then should come down. We'll see.
  • Options
    scaleloktscalelokt Posts: 35
    I know this wont be a popular opinion, but just for the record I have to say I'm very thankful for the new lottery system, even if its just this once and then they don't do it again. Ive been a fan since the very beginning, A HUGE fan. But when Ten came out I was just a kid, not much money, and joining the fan club just wasn't in the cards at the time. Of course later on I did join the fan club and have been a member ever since, but at that point I was already way behind in seniority and my chances to see the band up close were slim to none. Now, with this new system and with a little luck, I have GA tickets for San Diego and I'm looking forward to having an unforgettable time that I will always cherish. Probably would have never happened otherwise, so yeah, I'm pretty happy with how things turned out. Now in all fairness though I have seen posts from people who have been 10 club members for almost 20 years and didn't get a ticket at all. That really does suck, and I agree it seems very unfair, its certainly not a perfect system. But I just wanted to put in my 2 cents, just this once, its nice to get a chance to see the band up close and not be penalized for having joined a little later than other fans.
  • Options
    JC85096JC85096 Posts: 2
    I can understand the frustration from anyone who was shut out of getting tickets. However, how anyone can deny that this new system isn't better than the old one is delusional. The old system was a free-for-all in which you had to sit at your computer, hitting the refresh button for 2 hours and then maybe you'd get lucky. To be honest, I was always able to get the tickets to the shows I wanted in this format, but it was beyond annoying and nerve wracking to have to go through it. I've had friends who've been in the 10 Club longer than I have that would get shut out using this system and it was not from a lack of effort. By the way, someone mentioned earlier on this thread that when using the old system they had put in more effort and got tickets. What effort? I'm sure there were some who bailed out of frustration when the website looked like it was crashing, but there are many others who just didn't have luck on their side. So to say that you worked harder to get tickets is a bit of a reach.

As for the new system, it does have it's flaws, but it's still much better than the old one. A person can take their time and get their finances in order and decide if the can go to certain shows or not. Plus, isn't your time more valuable to you than it would be if you had to sit in front of a computer for 2-3 hours, cursing at the screen every time you had tickets slip through your hands like it used to with the old system?

Look, it sucks not getting to tickets to see a band we all love, especially since they don't tour the US all that often. I certainly can empathize with that. What I don't understand is the whining that takes place when people don't get what they want. What about all of the shows you've seen in the past via the 10 Club? Doesn't that count for anything?

I've been a 10 Club member since 2001; however, I've been a die-hard fan since 1992. Just because I joined later doesn't mean that someone else that joined before me is a bigger fan than I am. So the idea that some of PJ's "best" fans missing some of the shows on the upcoming tour will be a detriment to the band/concert experience is absurd.

Maybe there is no perfect system. You have to figure that scalpers purposely sign up multiple accounts for the sole purpose of buying tickets. Not sure how this can be identified other than to stop accepting new members into the club. I don't see that happening though.
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    what loyal fanbase means?

im flying 6000 miles for 3 hours concert..

oh ..i forget ....means nothing..

im not 10c member 20 years

i should go fuck my self
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    VitalogensiaVitalogensia Posts: 1,929

i should go fuck my self

:lol::clap:
    Virginia Beach 2000; Pittsburgh 2000; Columbus 2003; D.C. 2003; Pittsburgh 2006; Virginia Beach 2008; Cleveland 2010; PJ20 2011; Pittsburgh 2013; Baltimore 2013; Charlottesville 2013; Charlotte 2013; Lincoln 2014; Moline 2014; St. Paul 2014; Greenville 2016; Hampton 2016; Lexington 2016; Wrigley 2016; Prague 2018; Krakow 2018; Berlin 2018; Fenway 2018; Camden 2022; St. Paul 2023
  • Options
    KimmiebyromKimmiebyrom Posts: 1,832

i should go fuck my self

If you aren't in the most loyal category, then I just don't know who is.
    2003 Dallas
    2013 Wrigley
    2013 Dallas
    2013 Oklahoma City
    2013 Seattle

How I choose to feel is how I am.
    There's just one word I still believe...and it's LOVE.
    "Take care of one another..." -EV
  • Options
    LA98LA98 Posts: 256
    I just can't understand why the lottery is unfair. In my mind it's as random as F5-ing. F5-ing isn't a skill, it's luck. How is it any different?

In 2010 I sat at my computer F5-ing like crazy (while at work, and got in some trouble for web surfing) and got shut out. This time I submitted choices for the lottery and got tickets for one show. Either way, it's nothing but luck, isn't it?

Any ticket system is basically luck, right? F5, lottery, phone orders. In the 80s I remember mailing about a hundred postcards for Rolling Stones tickets and didn't get any, my brother sent 5 postcards and scored. No matter what, fans will be disappointed/shut out of tickets at one point or another (and it does suck, no question about that....)
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,648
    Anyone else find it interesting how it seems like all the lottery complaint threads start with something like "I've never been shut out before..."
  • Options
    RatsTJRatsRatsTJRats Boston Posts: 431

i should go fuck my self

Loyalty is measured in years in 10C and money paid towards the club!!! If you wernt in 10C then you clearly were not listening to the music or supporting the band, the guy who has been sending in an average of $15 a year for 15 years to be in the club has invested so much more!
    This could be the day
  • Options
    schappschapp Posts: 160
    LA98 wrote:
    I just can't understand why the lottery is unfair. In my mind it's as random as F5-ing. F5-ing isn't a skill, it's luck. How is it any different?

In 2010 I sat at my computer F5-ing like crazy (while at work, and got in some trouble for web surfing) and got shut out. This time I submitted choices for the lottery and got tickets for one show. Either way, it's nothing but luck, isn't it?

Any ticket system is basically luck, right? F5, lottery, phone orders. In the 80s I remember mailing about a hundred postcards for Rolling Stones tickets and didn't get any, my brother sent 5 postcards and scored. No matter what, fans will be disappointed/shut out of tickets at one point or another (and it does suck, no question about that....)

What is not fair is how this lottery worked. I scored tickets for my 6th option only, over people choosing that show as their top choice. Many got several tickets while others got nothing.

* If it's a real lottery, get rid of the priority thing and just let us go head to head every time. Honestly, however it may have worked, is not the way it was explained to us. So, this is an easier model everyone understands.

* another good option, is to limit all of us to ONE show until most clubbers got at least one of their choices. If after that there are still tickets left (would just happen when people only selected a couple of shows and some venues have available tickets left), then make a second lottery and continue until the allotment is sold out.

* I also thought it would be a good idea to take out "names" instead of shows from the bucket. What I mean, is that instead of going show by show, they could draw names and match them with their first choice show. They get shut out until there are no more show-clubber matches, and only then a subsequent lottery can be held. Those who didn't get their first choice then have their second choice and their new first one. When no more matches can be made, then everyone can go in a lottery for their other choices until the allotment is sold out. This would be, in my opinion, the option I consider to be the most fair one.
  • Options
    ParksyParksy Posts: 1,677
    thefin190 wrote:
    I am in the 400's and missed out on either Seattle tickets, fucking sucks.

Just wondering, are ticket scalpers allowed to join the fan club and re-sell tickets? Obvious answer is no, but how do they get away with it??? I used to re-sell other tickets (not Pearl Jam) when I was in college for extra money because I was poor, but I was way too nervous to ever sell a Pearl Jam ticket in fear of being kicked out the fan club. I haven't done any ticket flipping in years. How are scalpers able to do this?

Come on now...

there is no way of proving a ten clubber sold their tickets. They warn that if you do.. you're done from the ten club and blah blah blah.... proving it would be wayyy too much of a hassle for ten club.
    Toronto 2000
    Buffalo, Phoenix, Toronto 2003
    Boston I&II 2004
    Kitchener, Hamilton, London, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2005
    Toronto I&II, Las Vegas 2006
    Chicago Lollapalooza 2007
    Toronto, Seattle I&II, Vancouver, Philly I,II,III,IV 2009
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
    10C: 220xxx
  • Options
    I've been a ten clubber for... 13 years or so.

When PJ comes in my area... myself and two other 10 clubbers always go to the shows together. Sort of a ritual.

Here's the problem with the new lottery:

New lottery means that may never happen again.

And for those who complain about the old system... myself and my two friends NEVER had problems being shut out of shows.

Also... let's say I want to travel to see Pearl Jam in say New York. If I'm traveling, I would want to see both shows. Under this system, I could win one and lose the other. Just seems silly to me.

Now... I do like that people who were being shut out of shows, are getting in. That's good. But it seems like people are still being shut out of shows with the new lottery. People who have been ten clubbers for years. And if you think that doesn't count for anything... you can f yourself :)

I've said this before and it would be nice for the band or ten club to finally answer (if they have, please post) why can't they secure more tickets for fan club?????

And here's another solution... sort of a pipe dream.. but I think it would silence a lot of critics.... play fan club only shows.

I mean think about it... they tour the big cities. Play a smaller venue for ten clubbers only and then the next night or night after, play the big venue. Keeps everyone happy. They still make money. Less crazy travel for the band.

Just a thought. :)

And I know it must be hard to satisfy everyone... but... this new lottery... seems to stink. Sorry... just my opinion.
    Toronto 2000
    Boston I&II 2004
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
  • Options
    It's funny too...

so many people saying seniority doesn't / shouldn't mean anything.

Pearl Jam / 10C have been rewarding seniority for 20 years.

Have they been wrong assclowns that whole time too?
    Toronto 2000
    Boston I&II 2004
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
  • Options
    PJ2k3 wrote:
    It's pretty simple:

Got Tickets = This lottery thing works, it's good for everyone!

Didn't Get Tickets = Fuck the lottery, Pearl Jam owes me cause I joined in [insert year here].

Why don't you go down to your state's lottery office and tell them it's not fair you didn't win $300 million?? I'm tired of these elitist pains in the ass bitching about everything. Take that $5000 you had set aside for an entire tour and go help someone who can't afford to feed their family and turn that frown upside down.

I got tickets... i still think it's shitty.
    Toronto 2000
    Boston I&II 2004
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
  • Options
    SoybeansSoybeans Posts: 245
    Go Beavers wrote:
    Anyone else find it interesting how it seems like all the lottery complaint threads start with something like "I've never been shut out before..."

Why would that be interesting? It's like starting off by saying "boy, if we thought things sucked before..."
    90 shows and counting...some of my favs: Randall's Island night 2, Milwaukee '95 night 2, Hawaii '06, St Johns '05, PJ20!
  • Options
    BB24919 wrote:
    this is getting ridiculous. I posted back when I didn't get tics to PJ20. I to have been a fanclub member for a longtime, 1997. Like I said when I missed out on PJ20, I was not bitter. I have never seen Ed solo. I sometimes get tickets and sometimes I don't. To all of you who say this is going to kill there "core fanbase" I laugh so loud. Really listen to yourselves. No it's not. PJ's fanbase is HUGE. Not a thing is going to change my friends, nothing. Get over yourselves and your whining. Seriously getting old. This new system really is much better if you step back. I spoke on the phone Sunday night with my old college friends who I went to Maui with in 1998 to see PJ and countless of other trips together to see the band. All 5 of us were shut out of PJ20. Did I whine, talk shit, make ridiculous comments? No. I realize this fanbase is giant and the band is doing quite a bit to make it as fair as possible. Trust me when PJ20 came and I didn't get tics and newbies did thats ok. Thats life. Keep things in perspective people. Deep breaths.

Agreed. i don't think this lottery should/would kill a fanbase.

If I didn't get my tickets to the show I wanted.. I'd still be a huge PJ fan.

In other news... my buddy just texted me a pic of him getting his arm signed by Eddie an hour ago. Lucky bastard :)
    Toronto 2000
    Boston I&II 2004
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
  • Options
    jfconnorjrjfconnorjr Posts: 518
    196xxx - Under the supposed "broken" 10C ticketing system, I rarely had problems getting tickets. Frustrating at times, but perserverence almost always paid off in one form or another.

The Lottery system unfairly levels the playing field between a fan that just paid for their inital 10c fee and longtime loyal fans that have poured literally tens of thousands of dollars into this band. Many, taking cross country trips for one-off shows.

Arguing the "fairness" of the Lottery may seem like whining but I wonder, how well was this truely thought out? When making these changes did the 10C fully understand the negative aspect of "leveling the playing field".

And, there's no way to make it up. It's done.

MyM :D
    Lightning Bolt :?:
    Lottery :evil:
    Sitting in the 400's :fp:

This is what the truth sounds like!!!!
  • Options
    Get_Right wrote:
    frisbiec wrote:

I am saying that everyone should be able to have an equal shot to 1 show (this is how it was in the past and it worked)
    Everybody has an equal shot. There just aren't enough tickets.

once again... i wish there was more tickets :)
    Toronto 2000
    Boston I&II 2004
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016