Options

There is no god

Comments

• Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    rgambs said:

I do not believe mankind has free will. There are too many external factors to consider.

I don't catch your drift, care to explain? External factors like gravity and plate tectonics, chemical interactions and chaos theory, neural networks and impulses? Or like God the puppeteer with us as dancing marionettes?
    Gambs: (hope ok to call you this) we make selections based on our past experiences. So we react, we don't decide. When you go to the closet to pick out a shirt, you have no choice. You will pick based on your past experiences.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

rgambs said:

I do not believe mankind has free will. There are too many external factors to consider.

I don't catch your drift, care to explain? External factors like gravity and plate tectonics, chemical interactions and chaos theory, neural networks and impulses? Or like God the puppeteer with us as dancing marionettes?
    well lets first strike God pulling our strings off the list considering im an atheist. For starters i would consider the rules of law and those of society to be a couple of instances where free will is curtailed.

Ahh I am catching on a little, but can't we choose to break those laws and suffer the consequences? Free will doesn't mean freedom from consequence does it?
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    edited November 2014

rgambs said:

well lets first strike God pulling our strings off the list considering im an atheist. For starters i would consider the rules of law and those of society to be a couple of instances where free will is curtailed.

I take it further than curtail but yes outside influences/past experience.

Being Christian in US and Muslim in Saudi are examples of not really choosing a religion. It was already chosen. My parents and upbringing gave me experiences to question religion.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,575
    rgambs said:

rgambs said:

Ahh I am catching on a little, but can't we choose to break those laws and suffer the consequences? Free will doesn't mean freedom from consequence does it?
    No, it doesn't. We have free will to do anything we want. Doesn't mean doing it won't make us bad, get us in trouble, hurt, or killed.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    callen said:

rgambs said:

Being Christian in US and Muslim in Saudi are examples of not really choosing a religion. It was already chosen. My parents and upbringing gave me experiences to question religion.
    So the US is a theocracy is it? How is being christian in the US not really a choice. None of us are born christian we inherit our faith from our family... however when we become old enough to seek our own path that is when we choose to continue on our path as a christian or choose another path. Personally I was very young when I decided how I was going to continue on my path.. and it wasnt as a christian.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    edited November 2014

callen said:

rgambs said:

So the US is a theocracy is it? How is being christian in the US not really a choice. None of us are born christian we inherit our faith from our family... however when we become old enough to seek our own path that is when we choose to continue on our path as a christian or choose another path. Personally I was very young when I decided how I was going to continue on my path.. and it wasnt as a christian.
    Missed my point. Guess I wasn't clear.

Using perceived choice of religion as example of outside influences being determining factor not that one chooses the right god. Most religious people in US are Christian simply due to where they were hatched. Wasn't a choice. We have no free will. We react as does an insect.

As to your decision when you were young(was twelve after Greek mythology lesson) in coming to conclusion that religion didn't align with your beliefs, you didn't chose, you reacted to past stimuli.
    Post edited by callen on
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    callen said:

callen said:

rgambs said:

Missed my point. Guess I wasn't clear.

Using perceived choice of religion as example of outside influences being determining factor not that one chooses the right god. Most religious people in US are Christian simply due to where they were hatched. Wasn't a choice. We have no free will. We react as does an insect.

As to your decision when you were young(was twelve after Greek mythology lesson) in coming to conclusion that religion didn't align with your beliefs, you didn't chose, you reacted to past stimuli.

I already stated that we have no free will.... but that doesnt mean we arent free to choose our religion. I dont know what your choice was but my choice wasnt based on not aligning with my beliefs.... for me there was no belief.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    TalonTeddTalonTedd Toronto Posts: 835
    rgambs said:

=D>
    I remember when, yeah. I swore I knew everything, oh yeah.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,757
    Oh God, it's THE GOD THREAD again! Good God!

My latest on this subject is that I think... hold on... sorry, God's on the phone. godda run.

Innagoddadavida.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    brianlux said:

My latest on this subject is that I think... hold on... sorry, God's on the phone. godda run.

Innagoddadavida.

Well? What did he have to say? :))
  • Options

brianlux said:

Innagoddadavida.

"Sorry, son, wrong number."

To which I replied, "Jesus!"

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    brianlux said:

Innagoddadavida.

brianlux said:

brianlux said:

Innagoddadavida.

Nice
    BTW, I have no idea how my avatar changed
  • Options

brianlux said:

Innagoddadavida.

brianlux said:

brianlux said:

Innagoddadavida.

Nice
    BTW, I have no idea how my avatar changed
    The little Alive stick figure is God incarnate. Seek and ye shall find the riddle of thy avatar!

• Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504

What if God gave us free will?

He did, "Father forgive them for they know not what they do"

Godfather.

• Options
    Thirty Bills UnpaidThirty Bills Unpaid Posts: 16,881
    edited November 2014

What if God gave us free will?

He did, "Father forgive them for they know not what they do"

Godfather.

This was erroneously translated to be expressed at the time of the crucifixion. Jesus was actually really pissed at those guys hammering his hands into the wooden cross and spearing him.

In actuality, this statement was bemoaned at the last supper when all the disciples were farting at the table.

See how things get lost in translation?
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    Thirty Bills UnpaidThirty Bills Unpaid Posts: 16,881
    edited November 2014
    BTW Godfather, that last post of yours not only contained exact punctuation with the quotations and everything... the spelling was bang on.

What the hell, man?

On edit: sorry, man. In disbelief, I checked again and you omitted the period. Things are normal again! :D
    Post edited by Thirty Bills Unpaid on
  • Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    brianlux said:

brianlux said:

Innagoddadavida.

Oh shit, this was funny! Hahaha =))
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,521
    edited November 2014
    In Greeks,the word God,is the word Theos(θεος)..the word ''Theos'' came from the ancient greek word ''theomai'',which is mean manifest..so,the ancient Greeks call them Gods,cause they can see them..once upon a time the Gods are among us and they are interactive with people..

now,make the connections..
    Post edited by 23scidoo on
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504

BTW Godfather, that last post of yours not only contained exact punctuation with the quotations and everything... the spelling was bang on.

What the hell, man?

On edit: sorry, man. In disbelief, I checked again and you omitted the period. Things are normal again! :D

=)) you rock Brother ! I love a good laugh in the morning thank you !

Godfather.
  • Options
    23scidoo said:

In Greeks,the word God,is the word Theos(θεος)..the word ''Theos'' came from the ancient greek word ''theomai'',which is mean manifest..so,the ancient Greeks call them Gods,cause they can see them..once upon a time the Gods are among us and they are interactive with people..

Thank you! So glad someone gets it! We're here to help. Call anytime 1-800-OLYMPUS

• Options

What the hell, man?

=)) you rock Brother ! I love a good laugh in the morning thank you !

Godfather.
    Cheers!
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,521
    brianlux said:

23scidoo said:

Thank you! So glad someone gets it! We're here to help. Call anytime 1-800-OLYMPUS

12-12-Sirius
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,144
    Real brain sweat going on in here guys and gals....wow!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options

If you go back a few pages there was some serious discourse hombre.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    I'll bring it back up a notch! Caliban Upon Setebos by Robert Browning

http://www.poetryfoundation.org/poem/173004

This is probably my single favorite non-epic length poem. Caliban is the half-monster slave who serves Prospero in The Tempest. Setebos is the god Caliban's mom taught him about. This is Browning's way of dealing with the concept of God in a post Darwinian world. A note, think of the pronoun "I" or his name "Caliban" in place of the apostrophes.

Post edited by rgambs on
  • Options
    rgambs said:

Quoth the raven, `Nevermore.'
  • Options

rgambs said:

???
  • Options
    rgambs said:

rgambs said:

???
    Just mentioning a poem I like. Nothingmore.
  • Options
    Oh OK lol, I thought maybe there was a connection I was missing.
  • Options

Haha! Yes indeed. Yet as rgambs pointed out, this thread has had its more serious, studious, thoughtful, perhaps even pedantic moments.

But wait! Why does a conversation about god or God or Gods need to be serious? Surely if God is reflected in the world around us (a weak argument in my opinion but one I'm at least willing to entertain) how can that God not be seen as having a multiplicity of characteristics? Everything from the proverbial sublime to the ridiculous. A little ridiculousness is good for balancing things out. If God is seen, for example, in the beauty of nature or a well phrased poem, surely God is also seen in puns, gaffs, off the wall nonsense and, without a doubt, STUFF!