There is no god

Comments

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,797
    TalonTedd said:

And Eddie said onto his disciples.
    Go forth and be fruitful
    And leave me in my vacuum
    for when the daughters of Better men show their rivals what they have in store
    reply unto them. Bring it on cause I'm no victim.

the book of No Code
    Praise be to Stickman.
    and in the name of Eddie, Stone and Mat, Jeff and Mike
    Amen...

Hmmm... now that you mention it, Eddie does look a little like Jesus. White. Beard. Nice smile. Good teeth. And didn't I hear somewhere they're thinking of changing the band name to Eddie and the Disciples?

Hallefuckinlujah! Praise Eddie!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524

I love my children unconditionally.

Spoken like a good father. Children (people in general) need this, deserve this. Yours are lucky, as I have been with my parents.

Thinking / typing out loud...but I wonder if lack of that unconditional love in life might propel some to seek it out in (their) god. Sometimes perception, belief, can make a difference...can satiate that need. Can be a positive.

It's funny how as I get older, certain views become more cemented. Others, like this, make me realize I don't know shit.

I'm open.

Aside - funny too how when I started typing this, I was watching an episode of All in the Family.

Gloria: Whatever daddy says goes, and you're just a dutiful little woman waiting to serve the master.
    Edith: Oh, well, that's what it looks like, I know. But how do you know that what you see is all there is?

She was a wise dingbat :)
  • Options
    TalonTeddTalonTedd Toronto Posts: 835

Hmmm... now that you mention it, Eddie does look a little like Jesus. White. Beard. Nice smile. Good teeth. And didn't I hear somewhere they're thinking of changing the band name to Eddie and the Disciples?

Hallefuckinlujah! Praise Eddie!

you'll make a fine cardinal....You two will be given the power of whispering hands and part the hair of your alter boys.

:-q Okay that's going too far
    I remember when, yeah. I swore I knew everything, oh yeah.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    I'll never forget the closing scene of "Imagine in Cornice". Eddie sweeping and cleaning under the church bells. as if to say this place needs it, you have soiled my house. Was he making a joke or was he actually making a more serious statement.
    Post edited by TalonTedd on
  • Options
    hedonist said:

Spoken like a good father. Children (people in general) need this, deserve this. Yours are lucky, as I have been with my parents.

Thinking / typing out loud...but I wonder if lack of that unconditional love in life might propel some to seek it out in (their) god. Sometimes perception, belief, can make a difference...can satiate that need. Can be a positive.

It's funny how as I get older, certain views become more cemented. Others, like this, make me realize I don't know shit.

I'm open.

Aside - funny too how when I started typing this, I was watching an episode of All in the Family.

Gloria: Whatever daddy says goes, and you're just a dutiful little woman waiting to serve the master.
    Edith: Oh, well, that's what it looks like, I know. But how do you know that what you see is all there is?

One of the best sitcoms ever!

Meathead. Archie. Edith. Gloria.

* And trust me... I have my days when I don't feel so shit hot as a dad. But thanks for the kind words anyways!
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    Well whipty do!
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,797
    God is Dog in the Southern Hemisphere, right?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,682
    edited August 2014

PJ_Soul said:

Literally? You really think that literally, God entertains all in Heaven and monitors all on earth? What's your answer?

That's part of the message that's sold to young, influential minds.

The message changes as people get wiser?
    No, since there are a whole heap of adults - otherwise intelligent ones - who sincerely believe such things until the day they die. And even believe that Bible is true, or that Jesus will come down and signal the apocalypse. It's fucking crazy. Never fails to amaze me, really.
    BTW, the most prayed for thing in America is supposedly that a favorite sports team wins. Lol.
    And those people have to right to believe whatever they want, as long is it comforts them, gives them hope, keeps them looking for a positive in their lives, whatever. It's not up to anyone else to say that their beliefs trump those of another. Because they don't.
    I never said people don't have a right to believe anything they want. They do, just as much as I have a right to talk about how crazy it is.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options

hedonist said:

I'm open.

One of the best sitcoms ever!

Meathead. Archie. Edith. Gloria.

* And trust me... I have my days when I don't feel so shit hot as a dad. But thanks for the kind words anyways!
    We all have those days, whether as a parent, spouse, person...and if those days are the exception vs the rule, I'd say we're doing alright.

Yes, I LOVED that show. Adored, still adore Archie (did you know his character was created with the intent to offend, yet he endeared?).

Last 15 minutes or so, we've had old live Queen going. This goddamned god thing has gotten into my the head the last couple days, but not in a bad way. In a make me think way.

And Freddie, such a beautiful talented gentle man (search out Play the Game...just so sweet and pure). Some people's gods would damn him for being who he was, living as he did, loving who he did.

This, I don't get and never will.

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Literally? You really think that literally, God entertains all in Heaven and monitors all on earth? What's your answer?

No, since there are a whole heap of adults - otherwise intelligent ones - who sincerely believe such things until the day they die. And even believe that Bible is true, or that Jesus will come down and signal the apocalypse. It's fucking crazy. Never fails to amaze me, really.
    BTW, the most prayed for thing in America is supposedly that a favorite sports team wins. Lol.
    And those people have to right to believe whatever they want, as long is it comforts them, gives them hope, keeps them looking for a positive in their lives, whatever. It's not up to anyone else to say that their beliefs trump those of another. Because they don't.
    I never said people don't have a right to believe anything they want. They do, just as much as I have a right to talk about how crazy it is.
    But who are you to judge?
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,192
    "God is a concept, by which we measure our pain".
    John Lennon

I think that sums it up nicely

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    JWPearl said:

God forgives killers if theres repentence, he does love but if theres no repentence the alternative is destruction its his choice, I certainly dont question my creator

So lets me ask you this.... if for whatever reason you found yourself in the very dark place where you thought suicide was your ONLY way out, youd be ok with being damned by your god, the god youve spent your life worshipping and seeking guidance from?
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    brianlux said:

God is Dog in the Southern Hemisphere, right?

wrong.

hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,682

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

I'm me. Free to have my own opinions and judge what I like. People who believe in God say I'm wrong. I say they're wrong. No difference there at all.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    can i bum a smoke?
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    Pall Mall <:-P
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,600
    this is getting better and better..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    A reading from the book of Ten
    Then Eddie rested his head on a pillow made of concrete
    He ponders his maker. He ponders his will.
    Then in a dream the Lord God spoke to him and said
    "Son, have I got a little story for you.
    A young virgin down from heaven will visit my son.
    All five horizons revolve around her soul
    She will walk slowly, Christmas clean, ready for you.
    Hear my name, take a good look
    Hear my name, take a good look.
    Glide me towards you.

this is the word of the Lord
    Praise be to stickman
    In the name of Eddie Stone and Mat Jeff and Mike
    Amen

In joyous part

[-O<
  • Options
    I don't want to be the spoiler....but, in the Catholic bible during the age of Aquarius....Boom is Judas. You know how in the movies the guy who isn't white is going to die...along that kind of thinking. Poor Boom. Well in every religion somebody has to take the blame, right.

I love ya boom, don't worry too much. The church works on an infinite timeline. They won't besmirch your name for a few centuries. They have time on their side. That is always the biggest advantage of being institutionalized....time is always on your side.

In joyous part
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    TalonTedd said:

A reading from the book of Ten
    Then Eddie rested his head on a pillow made of concrete
    He ponders his maker. He ponders his will.
    Then in a dream the Lord God spoke to him and said
    "Son, have I got a little story for you.
    A young virgin down from heaven will visit my son.
    All five horizons revolve around her soul
    She will walk slowly, Christmas clean, ready for you.
    Hear my name, take a good look
    Hear my name, take a good look.
    Glide me towards you.

this is the word of the Lord
    Praise be to stickman
    In the name of Eddie Stone and Mat Jeff and Mike
    Amen

In joyous part

[-O<

^:)^
  • Options
    yes dignin...yes.....submit to his love. For he is the light. The host of hosts. The cool on the whip and the frosting on the wheat.....Yes my son. Now follow me to the rectory.

In joyous part [-O<
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    yes dignin...yes.....submit to his love. For he is the light. The host of hosts. The cool on the whip and the frosting on the wheat.....Yes my son. Now follow me to the rectum, I mean the rectory.

In joyous part [-O<
    Post edited by TalonTedd on
  • Options
    i_lov_iti_lov_it Perth, Western Australia Posts: 4,007

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

The thing is People will always Judge and form there own opinions doesn't mean there right or wrong and you as in People can't control that but you can control how you react to it.
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    edited August 2014
    i don't get it

not joyous in part
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    Just poking a little fun at the faith is all Chadwick. I would do on other faiths but I was only trained in the one. I guess you haven't read my file yet. It clearly states that I am a full member, confirmed and all. Lately, I have been a bit tarty with my dues. And...ah oh yeah, I have resurrected my mind from the crucifixion of dogma. At least that is what I would like to believe now but Like everyone else when the time comes; I'll be asking Jesus, Buddha and Allah for their forgiveness' and proclaim my love for them all. And hey, lets face it. I'm in the spirit of the thread.

• Options
    TalonTedd said:

yes dignin...yes.....submit to his love. For he is the light. The host of hosts. The cool on the whip and the frosting on the wheat.....Yes my son. Now follow me to the rectum, I mean the rectory.

In joyous part [-O<

Hell, I'd already snickered at rectory!

Nice writing on your reading up there.

• Options
    I thank you sir for being amused. I'm a little concerned I'm going to really offend someone. Sexually assaulting anyone in reality is no laughing matter (not worried about offending the deluded). I deplore the fact that people of any culture or creed would commit such a terrible act. But that said, I have no problem making light of a well established fact especially since I'm on record as saying their will NEVER be peace, justice or freedom as long as religion is present on this planet. We need more than just separation of Church and state. We need the separation of Church and world. So, that said, I am really having some fun with this thread and I intend on doing my part to make sure the scribes get the newer testament correct. In a day or so I will read from the book of Versus. May the faithful be reminded to tithe the plate with generosity.

In joyous part

• Options
    JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    Religion would have been alright if they strictly followed the bible, but they dont, they make their own rules and what is more there is lots of filth like child abuse and money greed etc, what is more at their churches they teach their own philosophies and not what the bible fully contains, thay take bits and pieces, the bible in itself is a brilliant book when followed properly but religion has distorted Gods word and religion will have to answer for that because it has left a bad taste in mans mouth
  • Options
    TalonTedd said:

I thank you sir for being amused. I'm a little concerned I'm going to really offend someone. Sexually assaulting anyone in reality is no laughing matter (not worried about offending the deluded). I deplore the fact that people of any culture or creed would commit such a terrible act. But that said, I have no problem making light of a well established fact especially since I'm on record as saying their will NEVER be peace, justice or freedom as long as religion is present on this planet. We need more than just separation of Church and state. We need the separation of Church and world. So, that said, I am really having some fun with this thread and I intend on doing my part to make sure the scribes get the newer testament correct. In a day or so I will read from the book of Versus. May the faithful be reminded to tithe the plate with generosity.

In joyous part

First, I'm no sir ;)

I know some think less of them in general, but there are also some who are religious but not in your face, in no one's face but maybe their own. Just people trying to make their way best they can, looking after themselves and others as able without the demand others think or live as they do; I'm doing the same though from the agnostic side, whatever that even means anymore.

But if having faith or religion helps them to do so, it's not my place to...well, it's just not my place.

Also, I'm not easily offended! I do have a fairly low tolerance for malice, though (not that you were).

• Options
    And what of the ancient Egyptian religion and the book of the dead. When the deceased are to prove themselves after death they read from the book and proclaim things like: I have not killed, I have not stolen. Don't these sound somewhat familiar. I'll tell you what I think. Religions are born out of human misery and slavery. Take the Mediterranean region for example. The Egyptians are the first super power. They enslave the Hebrews. Judaism is born with concepts completely ripped off from the book of the dead. The Romans conquer the entire region, paganism is the religion of the rich romans. You're a slave with no hope of freedom. Then other people tell you how freedom will come in death, just believe in Christ. See what I'm saying. The Christians are warring all over the region. The racism of Europe is obvious. The peoples of the middle east convert monotheism to aide in the fight against the enslaving invading white guys. Allah is born. Religion is born from misery, slavery, racism and the herd mentality of man. Not to mention the infancy of the scientific method. Well its no infant anymore. I believe in the scientific method. If good created the universe, he used the scientific method as his clay. In genesis God says the Earth was created in seven days, well that makes sense. Try explaining seven billion years to ancient man. He said man is made of the earth. That two makes sense, try explaining tens of millions of years of evolution that starts with the simplest of life form and works it way through natural adaption to the more complex life form, finally to us. Mark my words, religion will hijack the scientific method. It has already begun. Anyhow I respect the freedom of choice. And I love the 10C so peace brothers and sisters.

In joyous part :)>-