Options

There is no god

Comments

• Options
    TalonTeddTalonTedd Toronto Posts: 835
    Well alright then hedonist. I have always enjoyed reading your perspective of issues. I look forward to us sharing some laughs, stories, debates and different opinions as first class members of this fine club. God bless the 10C :-bd
    I remember when, yeah. I swore I knew everything, oh yeah.
  • Options
    you can take that last part with a grain of salt.
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Thank you, sir - backatcha!
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    :D
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,926
    Talon Tedd?
    No!
    Talent, Tedd.
    Nice writing there. :-D
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Literally? You really think that literally, God entertains all in Heaven and monitors all on earth? What's your answer?

That's part of the message that's sold to young, influential minds.

The message changes as people get wiser?
    No, since there are a whole heap of adults - otherwise intelligent ones - who sincerely believe such things until the day they die. And even believe that Bible is true, or that Jesus will come down and signal the apocalypse. It's fucking crazy. Never fails to amaze me, really.
    BTW, the most prayed for thing in America is supposedly that a favorite sports team wins. Lol.
    And those people have to right to believe whatever they want, as long is it comforts them, gives them hope, keeps them looking for a positive in their lives, whatever. It's not up to anyone else to say that their beliefs trump those of another. Because they don't.
    I never said people don't have a right to believe anything they want. They do, just as much as I have a right to talk about how crazy it is.
    But who are you to judge?
    I'm me. Free to have my own opinions and judge what I like. People who believe in God say I'm wrong. I say they're wrong. No difference there at all.
    Sigh. No one's wrong. Belief is extremely subjective and to each his own. Just believe what you want, but perhaps drop the judgment of others. They can - and will - believe what they want.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    JWPearl said:

Religion would have been alright if they strictly followed the bible, but they dont, they make their own rules and what is more there is lots of filth like child abuse and money greed etc, what is more at their churches they teach their own philosophies and not what the bible fully contains, thay take bits and pieces, the bible in itself is a brilliant book when followed properly but religion has distorted Gods word and religion will have to answer for that because it has left a bad taste in mans mouth

you show a very, very, very weak knowledge of the Bible if you believe this. Perhaps you have not read Genesis chapter 21 which details the rules in regards to the treatment of slaves? Including the selling of daughters into slavery, mind you. "...for he IS his money." "Eye for eye, tooth for tooth..."
    I could go on with Bible quotes that allow for murder and rape, hell, even quotes where God COMMANDS men to murder the women, and rape the girls. But you will same something self-contradicting about the New Testament. Then I could point out the nasty quotes there but you will stand pat. That's the problem with faith, it precludes the ability to rationality.
    A question. If a child disobeys their father, and the father chooses to burn the child forever, that's ok right? Or do humans live to a higher moral code than your God??
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options

rgambs said:

carved into a wall in a Nazi concentration camp: "If God exists, he will have to ask for MY forgiveness." powerful statement and totally true. If god monitors our lives he/she/it has alot of explaining to do. Millions of people have led lives that were nothing but pain and suffering. You can keep that "god has a plan" bullshit, if the plan is for a lifetime of pain and suffering this god doesnt deserve existence, let alone worship!

Blaming an entity existing solely based on belief for one's hardship does not allow one to evolve whatsoever. Life is about finding ourselves, not blaming "God" for not giving us a more pampered life. What happened at the mercy of Nazi Germany was done by humans, not God.
    Sin of Omission! If God is omnipotent and fails to intercede, does that not bring culpability down on God?
    Again, we see humans living to higher moral standards than their God.
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    edited August 2014
    rgambs, carry on. post your bible quotes. nearly all of them i've never heard before. not that the bible is god's word, it is not, but i am curious about what you are going on about.
    Post edited by chadwick on
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    in addition, reducing the human misery of the holocaust to "not giving us a more pampered life" is straight up offensive...i hope im right that you weren't directly and literally intending to belittle that sort of suffering.
  • Options
    chadwick this thread doesnt need that clutter, if you havnt read thomas paines "the age of reason" its a great place to start...his theology would jibe well for you i think...though he didnt believe nature or the universe was god persay, he believed that it was the only manifestation of god we have and is therefore the subject of our worship.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,743
    edited August 2014

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Literally? You really think that literally, God entertains all in Heaven and monitors all on earth? What's your answer?

No, since there are a whole heap of adults - otherwise intelligent ones - who sincerely believe such things until the day they die. And even believe that Bible is true, or that Jesus will come down and signal the apocalypse. It's fucking crazy. Never fails to amaze me, really.
    BTW, the most prayed for thing in America is supposedly that a favorite sports team wins. Lol.
    And those people have to right to believe whatever they want, as long is it comforts them, gives them hope, keeps them looking for a positive in their lives, whatever. It's not up to anyone else to say that their beliefs trump those of another. Because they don't.
    I never said people don't have a right to believe anything they want. They do, just as much as I have a right to talk about how crazy it is.
    I'm me. Free to have my own opinions and judge what I like. People who believe in God say I'm wrong. I say they're wrong. No difference there at all.
    Sigh. No one's wrong. Belief is extremely subjective and to each his own. Just believe what you want, but perhaps drop the judgment of others. They can - and will - believe what they want.
    Yes, they can and will believe what they want. But that doesn't in any way make someone any less wrong. Either God exists or he doesn't. Someone's got to be wrong here. I believe in TRUTH. Not fantasy. And it matters to me because belief in God has a direct impact on me and everyone else in the world. It affects politics, laws, cultural progression, civil rights, war, education, etc etc etc etc. IT MATTERS. If God doesn't exist (which he doesn't), then I think it's VERY relevant that people believe in a fantasy when that belief has these kind of impacts on individuals and the world. I don't understand why people shrug this issue off as though it only affects people on a private, personal level.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    rgambs said:

in addition, reducing the human misery of the holocaust to "not giving us a more pampered life" is straight up offensive...i hope im right that you weren't directly and literally intending to belittle that sort of suffering.

I apologize, it is a poor choice of words. What I meant is that those in extremely bad places, such as the concentration camps, and blaming God that they are there: It is human doing that led to the human atrocities of Nazi Germany. Blaming God for the outcomes that were humanly caused, I don't see the correlation. Human beings cause war, not God. Yet many blame God for that. Follow me here? To look to the Heavens and blame "the almighty Creator" for something that WE did, or rather specifically, Hitler did, well, I guess I really question that reasoning personally. I know, "God created man..." But Shall we use him as a scapegoat for what personally happens to us?
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Yes, they can and will believe what they want. But that doesn't in any way make someone any less wrong. Either God exists or he doesn't. Someone's got to be wrong here. I believe in TRUTH. Not fantasy. And it matters to me because belief in God has a direct impact on me and everyone else in the world. It affects politics, laws, cultural progression, civil rights, war, education, etc etc etc etc. IT MATTERS. If God doesn't exist (which he doesn't), then I think it's VERY relevant that people believe in a fantasy when that belief has these kind of impacts on individuals and the world. I don't understand why people shrug this issue off as though it only affects people on a private, personal level.

• Options

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Of course they have the right to believe whatever they want. I haven't ever said otherwise. However, they also seem incapable of keeping it to themselves. They do NOT have the right to impact other people with their beliefs, but that is exactly what people do all over the world (or contribute to it), which is my point. THAT is the problem with belief in God. IF people could just keep it a personal thing, then no problem. That is not, however, the reality of it.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options

Of course they have the right to believe whatever they want. I haven't ever said otherwise. However, they also seem incapable of keeping it to themselves. They do NOT have the right to impact other people with their beliefs, but that is exactly what people do all over the world (or contribute to it), which is my point. THAT is the problem with belief in God. IF people could just keep it a personal thing, then no problem. That is not, however, the reality of it.

You can't seem to keep your beliefs to yourself either. Who really cares who believes or doesn't believe! No one is right and no one is wrong when it comes to personal beliefs.
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,304

No one is right and no one is wrong when it comes to personal beliefs.

Do you mean this in the context of religion or everything?
  • Options
    rgambs said:

chadwick this thread doesnt need that clutter, if you havnt read thomas paines "the age of reason" its a great place to start...his theology would jibe well for you i think...though he didnt believe nature or the universe was god persay, he believed that it was the only manifestation of god we have and is therefore the subject of our worship.

there is a shit ton of clutter here as it is. go ahead, sir

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    There is a God and if I dont behave in my line...I dont get to go home...and home is my freedom my life my originality my refuge...so therefore I worship God happily, I was a sinner once because it was the end of like 1000 years for me so to speak so bound to go wild in the end but im all good now for a very long time...
  • Options
    edited August 2014

You can't seem to keep your beliefs to yourself either. Who really cares who believes or doesn't believe! No one is right and no one is wrong when it comes to personal beliefs.

Um, what? Obviously you're not understand what my point is I guess? My talking about God not existing on the internet has no impact on war, politics, education, civil and human rights, nothing. That 95% of the world believes in God, however, does, since religion plays a big role in all of those things, and without God, there is no religion.

Someone is right and someone is wrong when it comes to whether or not God exists. Period. This is a fact, not an opinion.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    Someone is right and someone is wrong when it comes to whether or not God exists. Period. This is a fact, not an opinion.

true
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    but you can't prove jack shit & neither can i or anyone. please get this through our thick heads

Post edited by chadwick on

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    chadwick said:

but you can't prove jack shit & neither can i or anyone. please get this through our thick heads

Yeah, but the onus is not on those who don't believe in God. Since when was there a responsibility to prove what doesn't exist? Never, that's when. It's illogical. Those who believe in God should prove God exists before forcing their belief on the world through government, education, and law.

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    PJ_Soul said:

chadwick said:

Yeah, but the onus is not on those who don't believe in God. Since when was there a responsibility to prove what doesn't exist? Never, that's when. It's illogical. Those who believe in God should prove God exists before forcing their belief on the world through government, education, and law.

Maybe those who push their agendas on others - religious or otherwise - need to validate; they're affecting, or trying to affect, aspects of life of others.

But those who don't, don't owe you, me, or anyone else anything in terms of "proof".
  • Options
    chadwick said:

Thank you for saying what I was going to say!
  • Options
    you're welcome, backseatL12

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,926
    JWPearl said:

There is a God and if I dont behave in my line...I dont get to go home...and home is my freedom my life my originality my refuge...so therefore I worship God happily, I was a sinner once because it was the end of like 1000 years for me so to speak so bound to go wild in the end but im all good now for a very long time...

That sounds like a nice thing to believe in if you believe it. And if you believe it and don't insist everyone else believe it, I think that's fine.

My own take on the "afterlife" is that it started when I old enough to have thoughts and feeling (maybe from day one, I don't remember). Thoughts and feelings are small electrical impulses that radiate out into the universe. When I have my last thought and /or feeling, it will go out into the universe (my energy home) with all the others, mine, your, everyone's, and my star-born atoms will get recycled into all kinds of stuff here on earth (my physical home).

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    backseatLover12backseatLover12 Posts: 2,312
    edited August 2014
    PJ_Soul said:

chadwick said:

There is no responsibility to prove anything. The entire point of belief is that it can't be proven, yet can be believed in.
    Post edited by backseatLover12 on
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Um, what? Obviously you're not understand what my point is I guess? My talking about God not existing on the internet has no impact on war, politics, education, civil and human rights, nothing. That 95% of the world believes in God, however, does, since religion plays a big role in all of those things, and without God, there is no religion.

Without God there is no religion, yet the majority out there seem to believe there is a God. Hence, religion is here to stay. Whether we like it or not. No one is right, no one is wrong. There is no proof of anything. Let it go already.
  • Options

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce