Options

There is no god

Comments

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I think the only "wrong" in religion is in how it's forced, or spottily applied, whether by an individual or by a group. I could do without the damning of it as well from the other side. Neither are necessary or productive.

At the end of my father's funeral service a few years ago, after the eulogies (I couldn't even read what I'd written and my attempt at winging it fell short...fucking emotions) and after the exchanging of love and hugs and tears with all who loved him, I started to head out of the chapel...catch up with my husband, hold his hand. It was warm and comforting...we were getting ready to bury my father.

But, there's the rabbi scolding him for not wearing a yarmulke (he was raised Catholic but non-practicing). Me, I didn't give a shit.

"It's disrespectful!"

To whom? You?

The god of my father wouldn't give a shit about something so inconsequential. It's about heart and morals and integrity...not about having your fucking head covered.

I told him so, maybe more heatedly than necessary, but he had it coming.

Never thought I'd apply the term "asshole" to a rabbi. What a massive dick.

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,743
    edited August 2014

PJ_Soul said:

You can't seem to keep your beliefs to yourself either. Who really cares who believes or doesn't believe! No one is right and no one is wrong when it comes to personal beliefs.

Um, what? Obviously you're not understand what my point is I guess? My talking about God not existing on the internet has no impact on war, politics, education, civil and human rights, nothing. That 95% of the world believes in God, however, does, since religion plays a big role in all of those things, and without God, there is no religion.

Someone is right and someone is wrong when it comes to whether or not God exists. Period. This is a fact, not an opinion.
    Without God there is no religion, yet the majority out there seem to believe there is a God. Hence, religion is here to stay. Whether we like it or not. No one is right, no one is wrong. There is no proof of anything. Let it go already.
    Lol, there is no way I'm letting it go. I'm passionate about this subject and I'll argue against the existence of god and everything the worldwide belief in a fairytale entails until the day I die. :D
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    backseatLover12backseatLover12 Posts: 2,312
    edited August 2014
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

You can't seem to keep your beliefs to yourself either. Who really cares who believes or doesn't believe! No one is right and no one is wrong when it comes to personal beliefs.

Um, what? Obviously you're not understand what my point is I guess? My talking about God not existing on the internet has no impact on war, politics, education, civil and human rights, nothing. That 95% of the world believes in God, however, does, since religion plays a big role in all of those things, and without God, there is no religion.

Someone is right and someone is wrong when it comes to whether or not God exists. Period. This is a fact, not an opinion.
    Without God there is no religion, yet the majority out there seem to believe there is a God. Hence, religion is here to stay. Whether we like it or not. No one is right, no one is wrong. There is no proof of anything. Let it go already.
    Lol, there is no way I'm letting it go. I'm passionate about this subject and I'll argue against the existence of god and everything the worldwide belief in a fairytale entails until the day I die. :D
    Good luck arguing something that can't be proven. You're inadvertently living the life of a pushy religious person yet pushing a different belief. You're no different, according to what you write, than the preaching religious. You are what you hate!

Don't you see this? Live and let live for God's or Bob's sake. Allow others to believe what they choose without getting in their face w/ your atheism BELIEFS.
    Post edited by backseatLover12 on
  • Options
    edited August 2014

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Good luck arguing something that can't be proven. You're inadvertently living the life of a pushy religious person yet pushing a different belief. You're no different, according to what you write, than the preaching religious. You are what you hate!

Don't you see this? Live and let live for God's or Bob's sake. Allow others to believe what they choose without getting in their face w/ your atheism BELIEFS.
    You seem to be overestimating my power, lol.

I don't have to prove anything. I already covered that.

Also, I'm not pushing anything. I am just stating my opinion. The same thing cannot be said for missionaries, people who literally make it their life's mission to convert people (This is how people of certain religions get into heaven you know), apply their religious beliefs to politics and laws that govern us all, knocking on people's doors to try and talk them into their faith, try to include creationism in school, seducing people to donate to churches so they can build gaudy mega churches, justifying bigotry, creating weird sexual hang ups, embodying hypocrisy (see Catholicism, et al), brainwashing vulnerable people and luring them into cults, slaughtering innocent people on behalf of their faith, and so on. Some atheist claiming that God doesn't exist has no relation at all to such things. Religion, hence belief in God, causes all of these things. Not atheism. If all that the belief in god did was provide comfort for people i wouldn't have an issue. But as it is, I believe that atheism is the only thing that could ever stop all of these terrible things that come with faith in the existence of god.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    PJ, are you talking specifically about Christianity, or are other faiths - Islam, Judaism, Hinduism, Sikhism, Mormonism, this-ism, that-ism, all the isms - included? Are you cool with those not using the methods of seduction you mention?

Is it the organizations behind those religions you take issue with, or are those who just believe in and live by the peaceful tenets of them lumped in too?
  • Options
    hedonist said:

PJ, are you talking specifically about Christianity, or are other faiths - Islam, Judaism, Hinduism, Sikhism, Mormonism, this-ism, that-ism, all the isms - included? Are you cool with those not using the methods of seduction you mention?

Is it the organizations behind those religions you take issue with, or are those who just believe in and live by the peaceful tenets of them lumped in too?

I am talking about all religions (to repeat, I don't consider Buddhism a religion - has nothing to do with god). No, lol, of course I don't feel this way about all people who believe in god. I think that would make me some kind of psychopath, lol. But while I do of course take great issue with all religious organizations, the basic belief in god all over the world is what fuels those organizations. Again, belief in god is what religion is based on. If it weren't for this belief there would be no religion. A world without religion (and therefore, a world where there is no belief in the fantasy of god) would be a better and more harmonious place.
  • Options
    JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

I like you :D
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

I think you are missing the point. Non

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Literally? You really think that literally, God entertains all in Heaven and monitors all on earth? What's your answer?

That's part of the message that's sold to young, influential minds.

The message changes as people get wiser?
    No, since there are a whole heap of adults - otherwise intelligent ones - who sincerely believe such things until the day they die. And even believe that Bible is true, or that Jesus will come down and signal the apocalypse. It's fucking crazy. Never fails to amaze me, really.
    BTW, the most prayed for thing in America is supposedly that a favorite sports team wins. Lol.
    And those people have to right to believe whatever they want, as long is it comforts them, gives them hope, keeps them looking for a positive in their lives, whatever. It's not up to anyone else to say that their beliefs trump those of another. Because they don't.
    I never said people don't have a right to believe anything they want. They do, just as much as I have a right to talk about how crazy it is.
    But who are you to judge?
    I'm me. Free to have my own opinions and judge what I like. People who believe in God say I'm wrong. I say they're wrong. No difference there at all.
    Sigh. No one's wrong. Belief is extremely subjective and to each his own. Just believe what you want, but perhaps drop the judgment of others. They can - and will - believe what they want.
    Yes, they can and will believe what they want. But that doesn't in any way make someone any less wrong. Either God exists or he doesn't. Someone's got to be wrong here. I believe in TRUTH. Not fantasy. And it matters to me because belief in God has a direct impact on me and everyone else in the world. It affects politics, laws, cultural progression, civil rights, war, education, etc etc etc etc. IT MATTERS. If God doesn't exist (which he doesn't), then I think it's VERY relevant that people believe in a fantasy when that belief has these kind of impacts on individuals and the world. I don't understand why people shrug this issue off as though it only affects people on a private, personal level.

And those people have to right to believe whatever they want, as long is it comforts them, gives them hope, keeps them looking for a positive in their lives, whatever. It's not up to anyone else to say that their beliefs trump those of another. Because they don't.
    And if they teach their children things like Jihad we are supposed to allow it because it is their belief? If they teach that women are subject to the whims of men is it ok? If their holy books are conspicuously silent on rape do we allow them to omit it from their morality? If they teach their children that 2 men cannot love each other do they have that right? It is only their belief and they have a right to it, no? This is the point that PJ soul keeps making and you keep missing. Belief doesn't occur in a vacuum, it has real world consequences and many of them are not about hope and positivity.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    JWPearl said:

There is a God and if I dont behave in my line...I dont get to go home...and home is my freedom my life my originality my refuge...so therefore I worship God happily, I was a sinner once because it was the end of like 1000 years for me so to speak so bound to go wild in the end but im all good now for a very long time...

Personally, I would never burn my children in eternal fire for simple disrespect, but then I am far more compassionate than your god. I also include not raping women in my top ten "commandments"
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    is why i say the bible was written by humans to control humans. again for the 90th time - religions & so called holy books are not where god is. this is my opinion of course but it sure as shit makes sense. but yes i would like to read where in the bible it says to rape women & burn children in eternal flames. im not saying it has not been written. post it & post it. i asked three times now & still nothing has been shared
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    chad the bible stuff is for the benefit of JWPearl, who got on my bad side when he/she seemed to be more concerned with the way we talk about the church than with the tens of thousands of children molested by priests. Your philosophy blows the pants off the bible.
    you da man, here ya go!
    Numbers 31: 17 Now therefore kill every male among the little children, and kill every woman that hath known man by lying with him.
    31: 18 But all the women children, that have not known a man by lying with him, keep alive for yourselves.

PSALMS 137:9 Happy shall they be, who take your little ones and dash them upon the rock.
    1 Timothy 2: 12 I permit no woman to teach or have authority over man; she is to keep silent.
    Mathew 13: 50 ...and throw them into the fiery furnace, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.
    2 Thessalonians 1: 9 They will be punished with everlasting destruction...
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    written 4200 years ago by some fucking foolish old bastards

although child predators..... that is how i am reading - Numbers 31: 17 Now therefore kill every male among the little children (should be greatly harmed)

the rest is nonsense. women should toss assholes into fiery furnances where there will be sobbing & snapping & grinding of teeth where evil dipshits (so called men) are corrected within eternal doom as it is their mirrors they've carried as boulders

don't know if im da man but thanks
    Post edited by chadwick on

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    kill every male among the little children just means "kill the boys, keep the girls"
    32,000 girls were kept according to the count of moses...not that i trust the count, but the sheer audacity of claiming 32,000 child sex slaves in the name of god makes the bible a filthy imposition on mankind.
  • Options
    It would be good if you read the bible and got your story right to begin with, and the rules and law still stay the same for me...
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Literally? You really think that literally, God entertains all in Heaven and monitors all on earth? What's your answer?

No, since there are a whole heap of adults - otherwise intelligent ones - who sincerely believe such things until the day they die. And even believe that Bible is true, or that Jesus will come down and signal the apocalypse. It's fucking crazy. Never fails to amaze me, really.
    BTW, the most prayed for thing in America is supposedly that a favorite sports team wins. Lol.
    I never said people don't have a right to believe anything they want. They do, just as much as I have a right to talk about how crazy it is.
    I'm me. Free to have my own opinions and judge what I like. People who believe in God say I'm wrong. I say they're wrong. No difference there at all.
    Sigh. No one's wrong. Belief is extremely subjective and to each his own. Just believe what you want, but perhaps drop the judgment of others. They can - and will - believe what they want.
    No one has all the answers. But the crap in Bible, Koran, and god love the Mormons is all bullshit.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    callen said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

No one has all the answers. But the crap in Bible, Koran, and god love the Mormons is all bullshit.
    I have to disagree with you...
  • Options
    Of course you do. All tou
    JWPearl said:

callen said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

I have to disagree with you...
    Of course you do. Your fragile truth system relies on it . Must be tuff though to keep all the lies in order.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    JWPearl said:

It would be good if you read the bible and got your story right to begin with, and the rules and law still stay the same for me...

are you trying to claim that i made those quotes up? Perhaps you should open your bible and read it, and come back here and tell me what those chapters and verses contain. You claim we must follow the entire bible, not pick and choose...so i wonder, what do you think about god telling moses how to divide the child sex slaves among the soldiers and the rest of the herd. I sense you might be a woman, in which case I would advise you to keep silent on these matters, as your scripture advises you. My cannon (thoreau, emerson, shelley, keats, wordsworth, browning, paine, bradbury, feynman, kaku, etc.) is devoid of the filth that the bible is built upon. Hundreds of thousands of innocents put to slaughter by your "loving god" and i am supposed to accept this? NO!! Open your eyes to real morality!
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,926
    The other day we watched one of those old "sword and sandals" movies ( you know, the "cast of thousands" type) called "The Robe" with Richard Burton, Jean Simmons and Victor Mature. One of the things that I thought was cool about that film was the way they portrayed early Christians. In one scene the Roman, Marcellus Gallio, gives a poor boy a donkey. In a later scene Gallio sees another boy riding the donkey and discovers that the first boy had given the donkey to his friend. At first Gallio doesn't understand this kind of generosity. He begins to see that this is how these people live. There are a number of scenes like this in the film.

Over most of my adult life, I've given a lot of thought to religion and spiritual matters and I having done so, I can't imagine signing up with any religious group, especially any with a set doctrine based on something intangible- a tribe or community, yes, but not a religious group or tribe on something primarily dogmatic. But if Christianity were based primarily on loving, accepting, generosity toward others the way that group is portrayed in "The Robe", I would at least find that appealing. I don't know of any group that works like that to that degree- although the Pearl Jam fan club can be like that at times.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    Holyshit I just read a couple of recent pages! Damn, what a fucken thread. Mite just sit on the sidelines of this thread and just read. Interesting shit no doubt.
  • Options
    TalonTeddTalonTedd Toronto Posts: 835
    edited August 2014
    brianlux said:

I don't know of any group that works like that to that degree- although the Pearl Jam fan club can be like that at times.

=D>
    praise be to stickman [-O<
    Post edited by TalonTedd on
    I remember when, yeah. I swore I knew everything, oh yeah.
  • Options
    badbrains said:

Holyshit I just read a couple of recent pages! Damn, what a fucken thread. Mite just sit on the sidelines of this thread and just read. Interesting shit no doubt.

maybe some, a little bit interesting no doubt.

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,451
    23scidoo said:

brianlux said:

23scidoo said:

brianlux said:

23scidoo said:

''God is everything and anything that can be imagined, but the one thing God is not is definable. Attempts by the anthropocentrists to define the unknown, to finite the infinite, have only led and continue to lead to ecological holocaust and the deaths of billions of lives.''

i agree brianlux,but is this not the destination of the human race?..reach the uknown?..touch the stars?..find our inside god?..ad astra per aspera..if you want to go above,you have to go below first..

Interesting thought, 23scidoo, but I'm not sure what our destination is other than that on our current path, our destination is extinction of our species and that many, many others that we are taking down with us. The point of Waton's (I said "Wilson earlier by mistake) quote is that most religion is based on anthropocentric thinking which leaves all other life pretty much out of the picture and other than perhaps some indigenous beliefs, particularly American Indian beliefs, ignores the divine nature of everything living and non-living.

Another good quote from Watson:

"The truth is not to be found in Christian icons, Judaic writings, Islamic rules, Buddhist meditations, dianetics or any of the theological inventions of humankind.

The truth cannot be found in political philosophies.

The truth can only be found by realizing that it cannot be found and that all is not knowable, that the infinite can never be comprehended by the finite. The purpose of life is life itself. The purpose of death is rebirth. The purpose of birth is death. The immortality of humanity as in all species is to be found in the Continuum."

This doesn't mean we can't reach for the stars or seek to better understand the unknown but if we do so with the belief that we are separate or better or above all else, or that we can define or find a god or belief we ourselves have invented we will only reach a dead end. If our perspective is that we are a part of a greater whole we might become part of that whole that is undefinable and divine.

i'm not follower of any religion and i don't know if there is a god or not..but most of all, i don't believe almost nobody who tells me he got the truth..the truth is something subjective i guess..if you ask a christian he tells you:yes man its true,i know..and yes.. its true for him..if you ask a buddhist,he tells you the same..and he can fly for his god or walk on the water..i'm more interesting for the questions but the answers..i agree again,we are parts of the big picture..if we start wonder about what the fuck is going on here and who the fuck we are..we gonna have two results..a better planet and better hymanity..eddie said..i'm a seed wondering why it grows..you sould visit a greek island..standing at the sunset above of the sea..behind you few white houses with blue windows..starting wonder.. :)
    I would LOVE to visit a Greek Island. Hell, I would love to BUY a Greek Island if I could, haha!

But I know what you mean. Today I stood at the base of 10,000 ft. (3048 meter) Round Top Mountain in the Sierra Nevada Mountain Range and watched these huge, massive, surreal clouds build and pour over the top of that mountain in a way that was truly awe inspiring. An act of nature like this alone is enough to leave me very satisfied with not needing a mythological god. Nature at it's finest is the closest thing to a god I could ever ask for. Not that God doesn't possibly exist but if God does exist, that is out of the range of my human perception and understanding and I'm ok with that. :-)

i don't know eddie..but i swear to all the greek gods,
    i'll try to figure out..thank you brian for your thoughts..i always love to have food for thought.. :-h
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dx8r-TiLSVg
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527
    I do believe in God. I serve in my church and do my humanly best to uphold the standards outlined in the Bible. I may fail, sometimes miserably, but that isour nature as humans. I get ridicule a lot of the time, but that's ok. Someone's lack of faith or fear of mine dies not cause my faith to waiver. The best witness I can be as a Christian is to be an example, by living my life by the Bible. But as I said earlier, sometimes I get it wrong.. And I am learning of how deep accountability runs, so I am learning to be more faithful, not just because I think I should, but because everything I say or do effects slmeoneskmewhere. <<<< lmao.. Heck of a typo!! None the less.. I DO believe there is a God. And I believe he lives each and everyone if us very much. And before you say, but if there's aGod how can rape, incest, murder and pain exist?? Well because God gave man free will.. These things are the result of that.. Anyhow, gotta go to work! Havea great day everyone!
  • Options

I do believe in God. I serve in my church and do my humanly best to uphold the standards outlined in the Bible. I may fail, sometimes miserably, but that isour nature as humans. I get ridicule a lot of the time, but that's ok. Someone's lack of faith or fear of mine dies not cause my faith to waiver. The best witness I can be as a Christian is to be an example, by living my life by the Bible. But as I said earlier, sometimes I get it wrong.. And I am learning of how deep accountability runs, so I am learning to be more faithful, not just because I think I should, but because everything I say or do effects slmeoneskmewhere. <<<< lmao.. Heck of a typo!! None the less.. I DO believe there is a God. And I believe he lives each and everyone if us very much. And before you say, but if there's aGod how can rape, incest, murder and pain exist?? Well because God gave man free will.. These things are the result of that.. Anyhow, gotta go to work! Havea great day everyone!</p>

What about the parts of the bible where God itself inflicts rape, murder, and pain?
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    I do not believe mankind has free will. There are too many external factors to consider.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options

I do not believe mankind has free will. There are too many external factors to consider.

I don't catch your drift, care to explain? External factors like gravity and plate tectonics, chemical interactions and chaos theory, neural networks and impulses? Or like God the puppeteer with us as dancing marionettes?
  • Options

Agree.

Every decision is predetermined.
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    edited November 2014
    rgambs said:

I don't catch your drift, care to explain? External factors like gravity and plate tectonics, chemical interactions and chaos theory, neural networks and impulses? Or like God the puppeteer with us as dancing marionettes?
    well lets first strike God pulling our strings off the list considering im an atheist. For starters i would consider the rules of law and those of society to be a couple of instances where free will is curtailed.

hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    callen said:

Agree.

Every decision is predetermined.
    By your subconscious brain or an external figure like god?