Options

There is no god

Comments

• Options
    hedonist said:

I wasn't being sarcastic. I honestly try to be tolerant, but it is hard to be respectful when some devoutly religious person flaunts their religion and superiority in my presence. It tends to grate on me: some person who basically believes in fairy tales tells me I'm the shits because I don't. That type of narcissism is bothersome to say the least.

Well, I don't disagree at all, in terms of that kind of pompousness (and I'd apply that to most any topic, not just religion and/or god).

It goes both ways, though.
    Absolutely.

I realized, as I wrote this response, I took a shot there; but as I tried to explain... my back has been up about this topic for a little while now. My patience has worn very thin.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,628

God can be anything to anyone. It's really absurd to limit it to what a dictionary, written by Merriam or Webster or urban or anyone else, says.

Otherwise, it's such a personal choice that I personally don't give a damn what anyone else thinks. I know what I believe and that's all that matters. As long as you don't stick your beliefs in my face, that's fine too. Believe what you want.

How can God be anything to anyone unless you are trying to claim that God doesn't exist, which is what that statement necessarily means?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    backseatLover12backseatLover12 Posts: 2,312
    edited August 2014

I wasn't being sarcastic. I honestly try to be tolerant, but it is hard to be respectful when some devoutly religious person flaunts their religion and superiority in my presence. It tends to grate on me: some person who basically believes in fairy tales tells me I'm the shits because I don't. That type of narcissism is bothersome to say the least.

I usually avoid religious threads like this one for the exact reason above.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,760
    All this arguing about God- crimony! Listen- my cat is God(dess). I can't prove it to you, I would never even TRY to prove it to you. But come by and meet here some time. You'll see. Oh yeah, you'll see!

On the other hand, if someone else has another theory or a no-god theory, I'm good with that too. Sorry to make fun of such a heavy subject (if God is the universe that really fuckin' heavy!) but it's like arguing about what the exact number of stars there are in the universe. Who knows? God only knows... if there is a god.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

God can be anything to anyone. It's really absurd to limit it to what a dictionary, written by Merriam or Webster or urban or anyone else, says.

Otherwise, it's such a personal choice that I personally don't give a damn what anyone else thinks. I know what I believe and that's all that matters. As long as you don't stick your beliefs in my face, that's fine too. Believe what you want.

absurd is the claim that god can be anything to anyone! God can be a turkey sandwich? God can be asbestos in the office ceiling?? God can be toejam???
    Again, its not about merriam or webster, its about people knowing what the flip you are talking about because you used the proper word. Merriam and webster didnt make up the definitions in a dictionary, they recorded the consensus of a VAST majority of folks. God is the supreme being, the creator, the higher power yada yada...put an article in front of it and it is a lesser version of the same idea!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    edited August 2014
    so if god is the supreme being, the creator & the higher power why couldn't god be a turkey sandwich for two hours or the terrible asbestos in a old ass office ceiling or just for kicks god says, "geewiz i'm bored, i think i'll try for rgambs's toejam this time 'round the horn"

so the creator, supreme being & higher power can not say, "wow i wanna be a sack of rocks for the next couple months"

horse dick... god can do & does whatever god wishes

earth worm? yep
    god is not a him or a her. god remains sexless (or not, it's god's choice) & all of it & beyond what screwy shithead human can comprehend. we can not begin to grasp god, this is what god is

Post edited by chadwick on
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    raise your left hands if this planet is 'mother earth'
    if you need several days to understand such a tricky question feel free

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,760
    At the moment, I can't remember my left from right but I'll have an answer in less than several days, Chadwick.

I agree with backseat lover and Chadwick as far as anything can be God. If there is such a thing as God (still up for debate, right?) and that God is omnipresent... well ther you go. Look up "Omnipresent".
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Left is my dominant hand.
  • Options
    rgambs said:

absurd is the claim that god can be anything to anyone! God can be a turkey sandwich? God can be asbestos in the office ceiling?? God can be toejam???
    Again, its not about merriam or webster, its about people knowing what the flip you are talking about because you used the proper word. Merriam and webster didnt make up the definitions in a dictionary, they recorded the consensus of a VAST majority of folks. God is the supreme being, the creator, the higher power yada yada...put an article in front of it and it is a lesser version of the same idea!
    So, you believe that all of this "God" belief is for extrinsic value. It all has to do with what the general population thinks what my god should be. OK.
  • Options
    evsgjammevsgjamm Posts: 2,103
    From the beloved Up-My-Ass man: "god remains sexless."

HOWEVER, there IS a lot of sexual tension in this here-ah thread! I certainly feel it.

I've read every last word of these 10 pages and I feel rather happy that different opinions are being cordially shared about the god topic.

(4 hours pass by and I still haven't submitted my comment... low and behold, a revelation!)

I stumbled across this show called "Preacher's Daughter's."
    "The series’ focus on sex, reaffirmed the same old sexist attitudes when it comes to young women: how their relationship with sex is the most important thing about them. Because what else would we (and their parents) care about when it comes to young women? It doesn’t really matter whether your daughter is smart, kind, ambitious or confident. She must be PURE. According to purity culture, that’s the only true way she can prove that she’s a good person, since her worth is solely proven by what she does with her body and sexuality.

Unfortunately, the volume and content of the sex talk from her mother has a clear negative impact on Kolby. When another young man shows interest in dating her, her anxiety about being tempted to have premarital sex is palpable. Soon after they they start dating, she breaks up with him because she is convinced that premarital sex will not only ruin her relationship with God, but ruin her life."

Are there PJ fans here that are believers in god and in this regard of sex (aka purity) that I've highlighted here? It's an interesting subject and I invite all of your comments to add to this discussion.
    Cheers.
    Vancouver '03, Paramount Theatre '05, Saskatoon '05, Calgary '05, Edmonton '05, Saskatoon '11, Calgary '11, Calgary '13

2010 WATCH IT GO TO FIRE!!
  • Options

rgambs said:

So, you believe that all of this "God" belief is for extrinsic value. It all has to do with what the general population thinks what my god should be. OK.
    you are deliberately misconstruing my point! I havnt yet stated my beliefs because there is no reason to debate baseball leather when we cant agree what flim flam even means. The general population does not decide your beliefs, they form a consensus on what the word "god" means...i dont know why i am arguing...as i said, you know what i am saying and are avoiding it. You can believe what you want but if you want to invent new concepts you need new ways to describe them.
    I believe death is what happens when you are born. Nobody can tell me I am wrong because I can use any word to describe any concept I want! To hell with connunication through consensus language, we can all just make it up. Ok.
  • Options
    You're not making sense to me then. Let's leave it at that, because we'll all believe what we want to believe in the end, anyway.
  • Options
    And, it's not a matter of right or wrong, in terms of others' opinions.

"mind at peace within yourself"

"leave it to me, as I find a way to be"

• Options
    Why was God so 'hands on' earlier... and so detached now? Surely there had to have been a time in, say the past 5 centuries, where a really good miracle intervention could have come in handy.

And wouldn't it be boring for him just following all 7 billion of our lives simultaneously? Aaaand hanging out with all those people in Heaven at the same time?
  • Options
    This is why I'm in the just-don't-fucking-know (and just fine with it) camp.
  • Options
    backseatLover12backseatLover12 Posts: 2,312
    edited August 2014

Why was God so 'hands on' earlier... and so detached now? Surely there had to have been a time in, say the past 5 centuries, where a really good miracle intervention could have come in handy.

And wouldn't it be boring for him just following all 7 billion of our lives simultaneously? Aaaand hanging out with all those people in Heaven at the same time?

I've had my own "miracle" experience (near-death), so I'd say "something" is pretty 'hands on' in my life anyway… These sort of experiences happen to people a lot more than we tend to think it does.
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303

I've had my own "miracle" experience (near-death), so I'd say "something" is pretty 'hands on' in my life anyway… These sort of experiences happen to people a lot more than we tend to think it does.
    Do you care to share your story further?

Some peoples "miracle" are other peoples "good luck". Depending on ones situation it could also be good doctors, great engineering etc. Sometimes we tend to forget the human element and chalk it up to a higher power.

• Options

Read the 'synchronicity' thread.

I'm not talking about the Jesus figure that forms in a person's bowl of Cheerios as a miracle... I'm talking about the large scale spectacle miracles that the bible boasts.

Can you speak to the question I ask regarding God's ability to monitor the lives of 7 billion people at the same time, while hosting all the dead Christians up in Heaven at the same time?
  • Options
    exhaustive to say the least

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    dignin said:

Do you care to share your story further?

Some peoples "miracle" are other peoples "good luck". Depending on ones situation it could also be good doctors, great engineering etc. Sometimes we tend to forget the human element and chalk it up to a higher power.

Not publicly, no.
  • Options

I'm not talking about the Jesus figure that forms in a person's bowl of Cheerios as a miracle... I'm talking about the large scale spectacle miracles that the bible boasts.

Can you speak to the question I ask regarding God's ability to monitor the lives of 7 billion people at the same time, while hosting all the dead Christians up in Heaven at the same time?
    chadwick said:

Chad answers for me. I don't have all the answers! No one does!
  • Options

chadwick said:

Chad answers for me. I don't have all the answers! No one does!
    Have you ever placed some thought into that though?
  • Options
    Literally? You really think that literally, God entertains all in Heaven and monitors all on earth? What's your answer?
  • Options
    carved into a wall in a Nazi concentration camp: "If God exists, he will have to ask for MY forgiveness." powerful statement and totally true. If god monitors our lives he/she/it has alot of explaining to do. Millions of people have led lives that were nothing but pain and suffering. You can keep that "god has a plan" bullshit, if the plan is for a lifetime of pain and suffering this god doesnt deserve existence, let alone worship!
  • Options
    carved into a wall in a Nazi concentration camp: "If God exists, he will have to ask for MY forgiveness." powerful statement and totally true. If god monitors our lives he/she/it has alot of explaining to do. Millions of people have led lives that were nothing but pain and suffering. You can keep that "god has a plan" bullshit, if the plan is for a lifetime of pain and suffering this god doesnt deserve existence, let alone worship!
  • Options

Literally? You really think that literally, God entertains all in Heaven and monitors all on earth? What's your answer?

That's part of the message that's sold to young, influential minds.

The message changes as people get wiser?
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,628

That's part of the message that's sold to young, influential minds.

The message changes as people get wiser?
    No, since there are a whole heap of adults - otherwise intelligent ones - who sincerely believe such things until the day they die. And even believe that Bible is true, or that Jesus will come down and signal the apocalypse. It's fucking crazy. Never fails to amaze me, really.
    BTW, the most prayed for thing in America is supposedly that a favorite sports team wins. Lol.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    who says god is only purely fantastic, pleasant, cheerful & only is for goodness? norse dick!
    god would be a nasty nasty energy just as equally surrounded by angels w/ harps playing in a waterfall pool sitting on rocks eating grapes or a tornado or whatever

what humans (if we can call them humans) do alot of the time is evil. freewill isn't it?

we've all heard the saying - "can't have good without bad" or however it is stated
    god & satan are one (hell aint on fire underground, heaven aint on clouds)
    get used to it

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    Bollocks