Options

There is no god

Comments

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,753
    I've given up both religion and drugs in favor of this forum. I'm feeling both high and closer to the universe just reading this thread. Hallelujah whoopee!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    brianlux said:

I've given up both religion and drugs in favor of this forum. I'm feeling both high and closer to the universe just reading this thread. Hallelujah whoopee!

Hard to give up the drugs!
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    again... religion is man made, god is not. the two are seperate
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,566
    edited August 2014
    chadwick said:

again... religion is man made, god is not. the two are seperate

I get what you're saying. But that doesn't make any sense. :D
    The only way that God even entered anyone's consciousness in the first place is through religion. There is no way the concept of God would exist if it weren't for religion.

Anyway, you saying that the God of almost everyone in the world (i.e. those who hold their faith in accordance with a religion) does not exist, but your own idea of God does, holds as much water as you think my Atheism does, right? ;) Why do you seem so sure that the God of religion doesn't exist? That's not what most people believe.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    i am saying & it is simple & has been stated several times. 50,000 - 40,000 - 30,000 - 20,000 & 10,000 years ago & quite possibly further back than this, us raw earth cave living spear & rock throwing meat eaters believed in god, several actually & depending what region one was from there were many gods.

rain gods
    gods of war
    gods of hunting
    god of sun & moon
    goddesses of the arts. (zeus's daughters is it? 9 muses?) (im not saying this is in flesh & blood or what god or goddesses are or are not or existed or didn't but it is cool as shit) greek mythology... cool stuff

this is why many still believe earth is alive in what we understand as living form & what we do not understand as spiritual (as in, the living body is done but the spirit is doing its thing) living. the planet gave our ancient ancestors everything they needed. they painted on cave walls: buffalo bears, wolves, mammoths & themselves... including the sun, moon, stars & what happens to be star people/aliens. there are paintings on rocks or walls of giant manlike beings among the average upright/man like beings. researchers are told ancient stories by tribal elders that those drawings are of sasquatch. anyhow

to say ancient man never believed in a higher power/god is out of order. religion is man made while the belief in god is not. religions fit what tree branch someone want to be apart of. lots of branches out there. sure religions believe in their god but that is to fit whatever group & has designed that religion around that society/group.

it is farelly easy to understand where i am coming from with all this.

christianity sprung up & at some point got out of control w/ the crusades. christians killed how many millions? pagans enjoy, love & kiss what they call 'mother earth' as their higher power. ding dong ding - here come the christians & their torture chambers. "you're a witching along for growing & harvesting herbs in the forest" or "you're a witch says a neighbor as you saw a ghost" or "you're a witch, become christian to save your very soul from hell's flaming oven" the list goes on & on. how about how extreme idiotic freaks treat women in some religions? hhmmm how about that. these people have it all scrambbled up as it is like other religions a bullshit man made control tool to handle the masses. this is not mother earth where we came from. this is not natural. this is horse dick

so why would ppl who wanna learn about spirituality attend catholic church or any other christian operation or whatever religious outfit?
    a link we can get some neat info from maybe.

http://www.truthbeknown.com/victims.htm

Post edited by chadwick on

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    chadwick said:

Yes - you have a good way with words, going from mind to keyboard. I struggle with that sometimes.

Nice post.

• Options
    Anyway.

Watching an episode of Dexter and this scene came on, kind of hit home in ways in light of this thread. How we perceive. The lines are between Dex and another dude who came around.

Saying it's in the name of God - the devil is busy.

You think he's using God as an excuse to kill?

People use God as an excuse for a lot of things. Just because he believes in some crazy bullshit, that don't mean his faith is any less real.

But if faith makes people do such crazy bullshit, what's the point of having it?

It's human nature. Gotta believe in something. Right? I mean, haven't you ever had a problem so big that you just couldn't handle it on your own?

Yeah.

Well, who helped you?

My dad.

Hmm. Well, you're lucky. You're blessed. That's a blessing. Faith, man, you put it in the wrong things fuck you up.

This show kicked such round, plump, lovely ass.
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    edited August 2014
    chadwick said:

i am saying & it is simple & has been stated several times. 50,000 - 40,000 - 30,000 - 20,000 & 10,000 years ago & quite possibly further back than this, us raw earth cave living spear & rock throwing meat eaters believed in god, several actually & depending what region one was from there were many gods.

rain gods
    gods of war
    gods of hunting
    god of sun & moon
    goddesses of the arts. (zeus's daughters is it? 9 muses?) (im not saying this is in flesh & blood or what god or goddesses are or are not or existed or didn't but it is cool as shit) greek mythology... cool stuff

this is why many still believe earth is alive in what we understand as living form & what we do not understand as spiritual (as in, the living body is done but the spirit is doing its thing) living. the planet gave our ancient ancestors everything they needed. they painted on cave walls: buffalo bears, wolves, mammoths & themselves... including the sun, moon, stars & what happens to be star people/aliens. there are paintings on rocks or walls of giant manlike beings among the average upright/man like beings. researchers are told ancient stories by tribal elders that those drawings are of sasquatch. anyhow

to say ancient man never believed in a higher power/god is out of order. religion is man made while the belief in god is not. religions fit what tree branch someone want to be apart of. lots of branches out there. sure religions believe in their god but that is to fit whatever group & has designed that religion around that society/group.

christianity sprung up & at some point got out of control w/ the crusades. christians killed how many millions? pagans enjoy, love & kiss what they call 'mother earth' as their higher power. ding dong ding - here come the christians & their torture chambers. "you're a witching along for growing & harvesting herbs in the forest" or "you're a witch says a neighbor as you saw a ghost" or "you're a witch, become christian to save your very soul from hell's flaming oven" the list goes on & on. how about how extreme idiotic freaks treat women in some religions? hhmmm how about that. these people have it all scrambbled up as it is like other religions a bullshit man made control tool to handle the masses. this is not mother earth where we came from. this is not natural. this is horse dick

so why would ppl who wanna learn about spirituality attend catholic church or any other christian operation or whatever religious outfit?
    a link we can get some neat info from maybe.

http://www.truthbeknown.com/victims.htm

chad... nowhere amongst these words have you explained how gods are not man made.. in fact youve done the opposite.

Post edited by catefrances on
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    I was about to say the same thing.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    I was curious as to what my Google search would come up with if I typed in "Is God man made?" (Remembering, of course, that each of us will come up with a different Google search for the exact same search topic. An interesting concept covered elsewhere.) My search for these terms came up with this video as number one on the list. The speaker makes what seems to me to be some good points (especially the last one, his number 1 reason). But even if you disagree with the narrator I think you'll agree he has a pleasant voice, the images are wonderful and the music is great. Enjoy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptmNd9fp_5Q

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    brianlux said:

I was curious as to what my Google search would come up with if I typed in "Is God man made?" (Remembering, of course, that each of us will come up with a different Google search for the exact same search topic. An interesting concept covered elsewhere.) My search for these terms came up with this video as number one on the list. The speaker makes what seems to me to be some good points (especially the last one, his number 1 reason). But even if you disagree with the narrator I think you'll agree he has a pleasant voice, the images are wonderful and the music is great. Enjoy:

it makes so much sense doesnt it? No wonder godheads rely so heavily on faith.... that requires no sense beyond that of needing to invent the almighty.

hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options

brianlux said:

it makes so much sense doesnt it? No wonder godheads rely so heavily on faith.... that requires no sense beyond that of needing to invent the almighty.

It certainly is a more passive way to view the world and the universe. But as long as it isn't being shoved at me, I try not to criticize too heavily those who follow that kind of path because I did once. Well, I tried to anyway, but it never really held up for me. Oddly enough, I find it easier now to accept that life is a mystery and more difficult to understand human behavior.

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    since we cant express our thoughts, feelings, and concepts mind to mind we use these symbols called words to express them. Words have meanings that are largely objective, some of you would do well to remind yourself of this. Get a dictionary and look up "god"...it doesnt say "something bigger than us" or "what we dont understand". It says, in various forms, that god is a BEING that is held in various levels of importance. A BEING!! The universe isnt god, love isnt god, all of creation isnt god. You cant just make up your own definitions of words that have existed with the same meaning for thousands of years.
    This is why pantheism drives me up a friggen wall! You can say we are all connected, thats fine, but to say that everything is god is directly, demonstrably wrong according to the very words you use to claim such.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    My opinion:

• Options
    rollings said:

and how were we all organized together like this, with spleens and livers and elbows and knees, just by chance, how can that be? and what sparked life when there was no life. This was never explained to my satisfaction ever

you should study evolution, there are answers to each question excluding the last one, which is a loaded question that assumes life had to be "sparked", and isnt just a natural consequence of the physical laws of this universe.
  • Options
    so now the dictionary's defininition of god is the all & the end, no need to think or feel for one's self. im just giving my opinions here, that is all. so far i am not even the slightest bit impressed or convinced of a single thing any nonbelieves here have stated on the subject

i really like my spiritual self. therefore i feel if one feels they have a soul or spirit or whatever, that opens up belief. sorry but that is how im going down. since i was a young kid supernatural/paranormal happenings have been in my life. something much more intelligent & more open to the unknown (itself) than we are is out there & doing its thing. what is it? i don't know, it is alot of things.

believe what you want, i don't give a damn. i will say i feel confused with those who declare god does not exist. then you do not exist either, yes/no? it is not about looking outward for answers to anything, it is all inward.

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    chadwick said:

so now the dictionary's defininition of god is the all

• Options
    its not about the dictionary...words have meanings, you dont get to change them...express what you want with another word besides god and most of the argument fizzles away. "god" is so loaded you do yourself a disservice using that word to describe such an engrossing theory of existence.
  • Options
    dictionaries change world over, languages, definitions & so on. god has different meanings. if one can define god they are writing a drunk dictionary. if one can read the definition of god they are reading a dictionary that is high as shit on crack

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    well then let me give my opinion based on your system.
    I feel that cucumber tabletops are something that cant be directly tangibled. I think that it is irrelevant if umbrella blood exists or not, as our taken senses seem to show non-existence. If you feel that brittle is a part of you and you are a part of brittle, then clearly you have the ice cream scoop!
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    rgambs said:

well then let me give my opinion based on your system.
    I feel that cucumber tabletops are something that cant be directly tangibled. I think that it is irrelevant if umbrella blood exists or not, as our taken senses seem to show non-existence. If you feel that brittle is a part of you and you are a part of brittle, then clearly you have the ice cream scoop!

I really like this

• Options
    Someone having a spiritual / personal take different from another's is no reason to mock or condescend. All it does is stifle constructive conversation (which till recently I, for one, found pretty interesting).
  • Options
    hedonist said:

Someone having a spiritual / personal take different from another's is no reason to mock or condescend. All it does is stifle constructive conversation (which till recently I, for one, found pretty interesting).

Are you referring to JWPearl when he/she said this: Thats because women are more disciplined, you find there are men out there with wisdom who are disciplined but they seem to be without their own kind so go figure, ive yet to meet any aside from the Christians I know

Because man... if that's not condescending... I don't know what is.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    hedonist said:

I thought it was a very interesting way to use words and fun to read, not stifling at all. Different takes I guess.
  • Options
    yeah i didnt mean it to be mocking but i see that it does have that flavor..im a born smartass...
    What i meant was to point out the absurdity of 10 people arguing about the existence of something for which they dont even share a common definition.
  • Options

hedonist said:

Are you referring to JWPearl when he/she said this: Thats because women are more disciplined, you find there are men out there with wisdom who are disciplined but they seem to be without their own kind so go figure, ive yet to meet any aside from the Christians I know

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic but frankly, that just threw me for a loop (and I may have responded to it; not sure though).

I just think it's kind of rude to poke fun at something so personal to some, but appreciate the further input from dignin & rgambs. Thank you.
  • Options
    rgambs said:

since we cant express our thoughts, feelings, and concepts mind to mind we use these symbols called words to express them. Words have meanings that are largely objective, some of you would do well to remind yourself of this. Get a dictionary and look up "god"...it doesnt say "something bigger than us" or "what we dont understand". It says, in various forms, that god is a BEING that is held in various levels of importance. A BEING!! The universe isnt god, love isnt god, all of creation isnt god. You cant just make up your own definitions of words that have existed with the same meaning for thousands of years.
    This is why pantheism drives me up a friggen wall! You can say we are all connected, thats fine, but to say that everything is god is directly, demonstrably wrong according to the very words you use to claim such.

=D>
  • Options
    God can be anything to anyone. It's really absurd to limit it to what a dictionary, written by Merriam or Webster or urban or anyone else, says.

Otherwise, it's such a personal choice that I personally don't give a damn what anyone else thinks. I know what I believe and that's all that matters. As long as you don't stick your beliefs in my face, that's fine too. Believe what you want.

• Options
    hedonist said:

hedonist said:

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic but frankly, that just threw me for a loop (and I may have responded to it; not sure though).

I just think it's kind of rude to poke fun at something so personal to some, but appreciate the further input from dignin & rgambs. Thank you.
    I wasn't being sarcastic. I honestly try to be tolerant, but it is hard to be respectful when some devoutly religious person flaunts their religion and superiority in my presence. It tends to grate on me: some person who basically believes in fairy tales tells me I'm the shits because I don't. That type of narcissism is bothersome to say the least.

"My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options

I wasn't being sarcastic. I honestly try to be tolerant, but it is hard to be respectful when some devoutly religious person flaunts their religion and superiority in my presence. It tends to grate on me: some person who basically believes in fairy tales tells me I'm the shits because I don't. That type of narcissism is bothersome to say the least.

Well, I don't disagree at all, in terms of that kind of pompousness (and I'd apply that to most any topic, not just religion and/or god).

It goes both ways, though.