Options

There is no god

Comments

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,534
    Yes, I have delved deeply into the subject. Philosophy of religion courses, books, and i have explored several different religions. I used to attend various churches, even sent myself to various religious camps to learn more and understand the faithful. The more I learned the more clear it became that God doesn't exist.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    edited August 2014

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    rollingsrollings unknown Posts: 7,124
    ok good. Thank you for answering. So you believe solely in evolution then for the existence of us?
  • Options
    rollings said:

ok good. Thank you for answering. So you believe solely in evolution then for the existence of us?

Yes. I believe in evolution. We are just another animal on Earth. A highly ingelligent but parasitic species, that got smart enough to outsmart natural selection. So it's all downhill from here. :)
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    PJ_Soul said:

Yes, I have delved deeply into the subject. Philosophy of religion courses, books, and i have explored several different religions. I used to attend various churches, even sent myself to various religious camps to learn more and understand the faithful. The more I learned the more clear it became that God doesn't exist.

why would you need religion courses, different religions, various churches & religious camps to find out if god exists or not? those are the last places one should delve into for any sort of answer

in my opinion anyway

again, religion is not god. religion would be man made, god is not
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    chadwick said:

PJ_Soul said:

why would you need religion courses, different religions, various churches & religious camps to find out if god exists or not? those are the last places one should delve into for any sort of answer

in my opinion anyway

To understand faith in God, and to understand the organizations that basically control the world's population. It wasn't only a mission to decide on the existence of God. There are other factors to consider. I am fascinated in theology.
    Again, I am thoroughly aware of the non-organized ideas of God too. They are just as illogical, just as much a result of brainwashing from birth, just as much a man-made construct.
    Hey, I'm not trying to convince anyone. I am not that arrogant. I'm just expressing what I think (know ;) ).
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    chadwick said:

PJ_Soul said:

in my opinion anyway

good point.

I meant to ask Pj Soul how she could so assuredly discount the existence of god. You're right, religious aspects, per se, are probably the last place to look. That would just be asking for more confusion.
  • Options
    you are thoroughly aware? yeah ok
    please enlighten us with your spirit

thoroughly aware
    that alone is thoroughly arrogant

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    rollings said:

chadwick said:

PJ_Soul said:

in my opinion anyway

good point.

I meant to ask Pj Soul how she could so assuredly discount the existence of god. You're right, religious aspects, per se, are probably the last place to look. That would just be asking for more confusion.
    Of course, I already explained this, but just wanted to mention that you guys on this subject are exactly the same as me to those who believe through an organized religion.
    I think that anyone who wants a leg to stand on when discussing this subject should probably have a good understanding of how the HUGE majority of the world believes in God.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

rollings said:

Yes. I believe in evolution. We are just another animal on Earth. A highly ingelligent but parasitic species, that got smart enough to outsmart natural selection. So it's all downhill from here. :)
    see, this is one thing that has never done it for me. I believe in evolution, but I believe it is driven by a life force, not just "nature".

Like, the chance of all the elemental things in the universe that brought themselves together just exactly precisely in the size shape dimension formation and proximal distance to all other included necessary elements EXACTLY to form an eye ....JUST so that I have the ability to see, oh and there's two of them, oh, and they're embedded in my skull and attached to my brain, etc. etc. etc. and THAT just happening by chance seems like the real hogwash to me
  • Options
    like i said earlier, earth is god, universe is god, this is what millions of folks feel to be true... like the saying, 'mother earth' that is what that means

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    rollings said:

PJ_Soul said:

rollings said:

see, this is one thing that has never done it for me. I believe in evolution, but I believe it is driven by a life force, not just "nature".

Like, the chance of all the elemental things in the universe that brought themselves together just exactly precisely in the size shape dimension formation and proximal distance to all other included necessary elements EXACTLY to form an eye ....JUST so that I have the ability to see, oh and there's two of them, oh, and they're embedded in my skull and attached to my brain, etc. etc. etc. and THAT just happening by chance seems like the real hogwash to me
    Who said i don't believe in a life force? I do. That has nothing to do with God or evolution as far as I'm concerned. I have no evidence that would allow me to claim that a connection between livng things doesn't exist. I am also not willing to say with absolute surety that there is no after life. I doubt it. But in don't know. Again, what's that got to do with God?
  • Options
    ok. define God
  • Options
    chadwick said:

like i said earlier, earth is god, universe is god, this is what millions of folks feel to be true... like the saying, 'mother earth' that is what that means

YES, and this table is god, and my snot is god, and there goes my cat. She's god. Hey, there's a fly. God.
    Look, nature isn't god. All that is is renaming nature. As far as I can tell, your idea of god is actually just that it's a word in the English language that can be tacked on to anything and be called true.
  • Options
    rollings said:

ok. define God

God is necessarily an intelligent and purposeful entity that is in some way connected to the existence and/or nature of the universe. That's what a god is. If you don't believe in that then you're just an atheist who has had the idea of god hammered into your brain by society so have a problem letting go of the concept even though you don't believe in it.
  • Options
    well your table - if wood - was a tree at one time, a living life force standing tall in a badass forest soaking up sunlight & water. renaming nature? i would say we modern humans renamed nature. 50,000 years ago did our ancestors call endless lands (fulla trees, plants, & critters) nature?
    no i am certain they did not. this was their mother not lands divided up/split/seperated & sold for coal, pollution, interstates, glass & steel tall ass cities

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,714
    'scuse me while I jump in here a second.

Define God:

Dictionary definition:
    1.(in Christianity and other monotheistic religions) the creator and ruler of the universe and source of all moral authority; the supreme being.
    2.(in certain other religions) a superhuman being or spirit worshiped as having power over nature or human fortunes; a deity.

My definition:
    1.The term used by humans to describe the indescribable.
    2. An inexplicable mystery or just Mystery.

OK, sorry. Carry on. :-D
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    edited August 2014
    chadwick said:

well your table - if wood - was a tree at one time, a living life force standing tall in a badass forest soaking up sunlight & water. renaming nature? i would say we modern humans renamed nature. 50,000 years ago did our ancestors call endless lands (fulla trees, plants, & critters) nature?
    no i am certain they did not. this was their mother not lands divided up/split/seperated & sold for coal, pollution, interstates, glass & steel tall ass cities

Not sure what ancient people who knew nothing about anything have to do with it. Everything in the world was magic to them. So? But yes, you're right. The English language didn't exist back then.
    I have no clue what relevancy your comment about politics and economics has to do with it. If you're saying that people make the world progressively worse as we go along, I agree with you.
  • Options
    brianlux said:

'scuse me while I jump in here a second.

Define God:

Dictionary definition:
    1.(in Christianity and other monotheistic religions) the creator and ruler of the universe and source of all moral authority; the supreme being.
    2.(in certain other religions) a superhuman being or spirit worshiped as having power over nature or human fortunes; a deity.

My definition:
    1.The term used by humans to describe the indescribable.
    2. An inexplicable mystery or just Mystery.

OK, sorry. Carry on. :-D

I don't agree with your second definition, and I would change the first to "the concept used by humans to delude themselves into feeling like they know the thus far unknown in order to allay fears of said unknown."
    The term used to describe the indescribable is actually "ineffable". ;)
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    thank you, brian..

"the creator and ruler of the universe and source of all moral authority; the supreme being."

how about just the universe, not the creator of it at all, but it itself... & universes not just the one we buzz around in. i am assuming there are at least 7 or 3 universes out there, maybe more, yes/no?

(like this here is god... bam im every universe that ever existed or will exist, all planets, suns, moons, meteors, dust fuckers & gas happenings, mass or no mass, pressure or imploding black holes or black holes having a bad day... a black hole is like one of god's pubic hairs

time, time, time... all time that has ever existed or is being birthed or will be birthed
    all in the blink of an eye time expands & shrinks in all directions inside & out
    Post edited by chadwick on

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    I just don't understand why any of these things have to be connected to some kind intelligent design or purpose. I consider this concept a symptom of human arrogance.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

I just don't understand why any of these things have to be connected to some kind intelligent design or purpose. I consider this concept a symptom of human arrogance.

any of what things. any of everything?

I consider it a symptom of human humility. that would be the opposite of arrogance. :wink face:
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

I sort of agree in that when humans think they can define they mysteries of the universe they are perhaps being arrogant... or ignorant or MAYBE just making up shit that makes for good stories, i.e. mythology. So far I don't think anyone has defined "God" in concrete specific terms and I actually get the sense that for the most part we're talking about the same things in different terms.

But I'm wigged out on back pain so I'm probably numero uno in the George Carlin, "AH! HE's fulll of shit!" category. :))
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:

rollings said:

ok. define God

God is necessarily an intelligent and purposeful entity that is in some way connected to the existence and/or nature of the universe.
    ok now define life force

• Options
    rollings said:

PJ_Soul said:

I consider it a symptom of human humility. that would be the opposite of arrogance. :wink face:
    I have of course been confronted by that theory many times, lol. But i disagree. Humans essentially believe in god because they think they are too special for there to be no higher purpose connected to them or their world.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

rollings said:

PJ_Soul said:

I have of course been confronted by that theory many times, lol. But i disagree. Humans essentially believe in god because they think they are too special for there to be no higher purpose connected to them or their world.
    This is very much biocentric thinking as opposed to anthropocentric thinking.

By the way, that doesn't mean I think you are one or the other Rollings. In fact, that would make for good discussion: "Is it possible to be boicentric and believe in a higher power/god/life force?" I think so but I'll have to mull that one over.

• Options
    Wait. I am special..... PJ_Soul, you go back and read that Desiderata again!
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    rollings said:

Ha. I love the Desiderata. No probs rereading that. It's hung on my wall in a frame. Despite that line about God, lol. It's an eloquent and comforting message. But to me it doesn't say we're special beings. It just reminds people to appreciate and their humble place in the world. There is a big difference between an individual being unique and right with world and humankind thinking we as a species have a special role in the universe.

Reminder: PJ_SOUL is not soulless. :))
  • Options
    rollings said:

I think you are too, Rollings. And PJ_Soul... and Chadwick... and the maple growing outside my window... and my cat.

My cat! Wait, yes! There is a God(dess)! :-D

• Options
    brianlux said:

rollings said:

I think you are too, Rollings. And PJ_Soul... and Chadwick... and the maple growing outside my window... and my cat.

My cat! Wait, yes! There is a God(dess)! :-D

YES, I just stepped in my God's vomit. :-&