Options

confederate flag: offensive or historical?

Comments

• Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    the confederate flag is a waste of time, space, energy & is full on classless
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,122
    Jeanwah wrote:
    pandora wrote:
    Byrnzie wrote:

Are any of those people black?
    'Happy to report, it is an untruth that all black people view those who display
    and honor the confederate flag as being antagonistic or offensive.'

Freaking ridiculous. Not that you have much credibility before Pandora, but now you have none. I'm convinced that you come on these forums simply to bait people. (...back to ignoring)

That is one of the MOST RIDICULOUS things I've heard Pandora say here. I would know and it's NOT, because I live here in South Florida and I do see all the time the Confederate Flag in all kinds of formats up and down highway 441.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    Byrnzie wrote:
    pandora wrote:
    Byrnzie wrote:
    A civil war reenactment isn't quite the same thing as someone wearing a t-shirt with it on, or as a bunch of goons driving around with the flag on their car. The flag represents racism and slavery. And though not every Confederate soldier fought for those reasons, the remembering and/or honouring of those soldiers doesn't require any flying of that flag.
    The people I know wear, display, march with the flag in reenactments proudly
    not based in hate or any prejudice.
    But you will assume what you will because you know best about people, I guess.

Are any of those people black?

Was this question EVER ANSWERED?

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    pandora wrote:
    No you would not be antagonistic as I said Jonny.

My experience is different, opposite of yours so you can understand my opinion
    on this subject. And I have said of course their are haters it seems on both sides.

Yes, I see where the offensiveness comes from but I also will not assume without knowing
    for sure that someone who honors the flag is being a racist, is filled with hate,
    or has any intention but to honor in a traditional Southern heritage way.
    Some people do not differentiate, they think it wrong period to fly that flag.
    I disagree.

I was driving behind a jeep yesterday and noticed a car tag with the traditional confederate
    flag on it, a Georgia plate. Should I assume this person hates? No, not me but I am sure
    plenty are judging.

I guess thats the point, each of us is speaking from personal experience. And the majority of folks here have seen how its often (but not always) a symbol of something somewhat offensive to an entire race.

And I do know that Georgia is quite different from Florida... well, south florida at least. North Florida is similar to Georgia in a lot of ways.

The one guy I know who does participate in civil war re-enactments does not flaunt a confederate flag. But he lives in florida, and I assume he doesnt want to be categorized/judged by flying that flag, because in Florida, most people associate it with something negative.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    In that it carries a history, it is historical, as are many things no decent minded person would display in the modern age. However IMO it is also offensive at this point in the timeline of humanity. It harkens back to a time of hideous attitudes and behavior. I am originally from Texas.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    freedom of speach covers both sides of this debate,and pointles because like guns the Rebel Flag will not go away.

Godfather.
  • Options
    pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    pandora wrote:
    No you would not be antagonistic as I said Jonny.

My experience is different, opposite of yours so you can understand my opinion
    on this subject. And I have said of course their are haters it seems on both sides.

Yes, I see where the offensiveness comes from but I also will not assume without knowing
    for sure that someone who honors the flag is being a racist, is filled with hate,
    or has any intention but to honor in a traditional Southern heritage way.
    Some people do not differentiate, they think it wrong period to fly that flag.
    I disagree.

I was driving behind a jeep yesterday and noticed a car tag with the traditional confederate
    flag on it, a Georgia plate. Should I assume this person hates? No, not me but I am sure
    plenty are judging.

I guess thats the point, each of us is speaking from personal experience. And the majority of folks here have seen how its often (but not always) a symbol of something somewhat offensive to an entire race.

And I do know that Georgia is quite different from Florida... well, south florida at least. North Florida is similar to Georgia in a lot of ways.

The one guy I know who does participate in civil war re-enactments does not flaunt a confederate flag. But he lives in florida, and I assume he doesnt want to be categorized/judged by flying that flag, because in Florida, most people associate it with something negative.
    yes it come down to personal life experience and the amazing wonderful people
    we meet along the way. :D
    Some people are programed with such negativity they can't help but
    believe something negative about another, to find a way to put them down or expect the worse.

Of course there are bad people with hateful racist motives, we see that everyday, everywhere.
    But when we start assuming bad and hateful, because of some, we have let the bad win.
    This is what I have talked about with my friends whatever color in case some here
    missed that point.
    They are not going to assume either and let hate take over their lives.
    Then we've stooped to the haters level. Something I don't ever want to do. I feel only pity for the
    haters, the negative people.
    I see a Confederate flag I will not hate.
  • Options
    pandora wrote:
    believe something negative about another, to find a way to put them down or expect the worse.

Of course there are bad people with hateful racist motives, we see that everyday, everywhere.
    But when we start assuming bad and hateful, because of some, we have let the bad win.
    This is what I have talked about with my friends whatever color in case some here
    missed that point.
    Then we've stooped to the haters level. Something I don't ever want to do. I feel only pity for the
    unreal

so those of us who dislike the rebel flag & believe those who display it are hateful morons, we are programmed with a small mind and we do not know wonderful people

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    chadwick wrote:
    pandora wrote:

missed that point.
    unreal

so those of us who dislike the rebel flag & believe those who display it are hateful morons, we are programmed with a small mind and we do not know wonderful people
  • Options
    Pandora Pandora Pandora

you are an incredible human being. with that said. I have a challenge for you, your husband & your family & your wonderful friends. I challenge you all to get bumper stickers, car flags, flags for the front porch of your house, & I am challenging you to sport the confederate flag at your family owned printing station.

as a matter of fact you could print up endless rebel flags & it would probably be cheaper than buying them.

get hot!

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    chadwick wrote:
    unreal

Quite perplexing.

As Jonny said: 'And the majority of folks here have seen how its often (but not always) a symbol of something somewhat offensive to an entire race.'

Not sure why the majority would be negative or hateful looking at a flag and seeing it for what it has come to represent. Anybody here said they 'hated' the flag (well.. maybe one person used the word)??? What is offensive is the symbolism behind this flag (as accepted by the majority).

A 'majority' will understand how the flag is displayed. As others said, other attitudes are linked with this...
  • Options
    in all my years (40 of them) I have never ever never ever met a decent human being who displayed the confederate flag & not be a racist pile of garbage. every single rebel flag waver I have ever been in contact with is a redneck hillbilly drunk with a big problem towards others of darker skin.

truthfully they beat their women 99% of the time as well

gotta love uneducated southern rednecks displaying a hate flag with no frickin teeth & their ol' ladies are sporting black eyes

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    chadwick wrote:
    in all my years (40 of them) I have never ever never ever met a decent human being who displayed the confederate flag & not be a racist pile of garbage.....

You're just not moving in the right circles and meeting any of the amazing wonderful honorable people.... Or maybe you just haven't got enough years on you yet... it may still come...
  • Options
    chadwick wrote:
    Pandora Pandora Pandora

you are an incredible human being. with that said. I have a challenge for you, your husband & your family & your wonderful friends. I challenge you all to get bumper stickers, car flags, flags for the front porch of your house, & I am challenging you to sport the confederate flag at your family owned printing station.

as a matter of fact you could print up endless rebel flags & it would probably be cheaper than buying them.

get hot!
    :lol: I was given a gift of the Rebel Flag from someone who has helped me greatly with
    my ancestry searches.

Our biz has a music theme... 'Where printing rocks' " Printing on the run"...
    so we display a giant guitar on the wall. Still getting frames for our favorite artist parade.
    It should be quite cool when it is all done.
    Bumper stickers I don't do on the Caddie for fear of death by Daddy ;)
    and our company car also has a guitar theme.

Now if we were going to a reenactment of one of the battles you might see me sportin,
    though.

I will not associate the flag with hate because I associate it with the good people I know
    but by all means Chadwick go ahead and hate and assume. It is a free country.
  • Options
    redrock wrote:
    chadwick wrote:
    in all my years (40 of them) I have never ever never ever met a decent human being who displayed the confederate flag & not be a racist pile of garbage.....

You're just not moving in the right circles and meeting any of the amazing wonderful honorable people.... Or maybe you just haven't got enough years on you yet... it may still come...
    yes I do believe you nailed it. im to young & only know igits

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    you are too scared to sport the rebel flag, true or false? I mean really. all this talk about how awesome your people are (both darker skinned & lighter skinned people) who display the flag & you can't follow their suit when asked to defend your own beliefs

I call bullshit

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    I want pictures of all your confederate flag waving pals. prove to me & everyone else you have darker colored friends who adore the flag. I chadwick want 100% proof

there are none, right?

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    chadwick wrote:
    you are too scared to sport the rebel flag, true or false? I mean really. all this talk about how awesome your people are (both darker skinned & lighter skinned people) who display the flag & you can't follow their suit when asked to defend your own beliefs

I call bullshit
    that is to true form :lol:
  • Options
    hang that gifted rebel flag you got on your front porch & you need one hanging outside your printing station. take pictures & have smiling faces. don't forget to get your darker colored friends to show up for the confederate flag parade

the Pandora rebel flag challenge is set & in stone. you have 3 days to comply or be ticketed

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,594
    I think anyone who thinks the Confederate flag isn't an offensive symbol of racism now is an asshole. Plain and simple. I don't care what anyone's excuses are. If they don't understand how disgusting it is to display or defend displaying that flag, they're assholes because they are unwilling to acknowledge the suffering that this flag symbolizes. They'd rather just wave a fucking flag and yell "Yahoo! The South!"
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    chadwick wrote:
    I want pictures of all your confederate flag waving pals. prove to me & everyone else you have darker colored friends who adore the flag. I chadwick want 100% proof

there are none, right?
    I will ask my friends if they are ok with me posting pics. They are not PJ fans but great people
    none the less. Of course when I tell them why I need to post them
    that's going to make some PJ fans look kind of bizarre :lol:
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    I think anyone who thinks the Confederate flag isn't an offensive symbol of racism now is an asshole. Plain and simple. I don't care what anyone's excuses are. If they don't understand how disgusting it is to display or defend displaying that flag, they're assholes because they are unwilling to acknowledge the suffering that this flag symbolizes. They'd rather just wave a fucking flag and yell "Yahoo! The South!"
    #truth

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    pandora wrote:
    chadwick wrote:

there are none, right?
    I will ask my friends if they are ok with me posting pics. They are not PJ fans but great people
    none the less. Of course when I tell them why I need to post them
    that's going to make some PJ fans look kind of bizarre :lol:
    post pics of you, bj & the fam & the printing station all geared up in confederate memorabilia. do not just stop at the flag. belt buckles, coolers of beer, trucks w/ gun racks, bloodhounds, & abused women

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    Saw this commentary - though it expressed quite well what the 'majority's' view on the flag is. I know it's 'just' an opinion like the ones stated here but it's well said (at least I think so).

"COMMENTARY | Living in the South, this subject comes up way too often. I'm used to reading the reasons why -- proud of my Southern heritage, my ancestors fought for the Confederacy, blah, blah, blah. I'm more than a little over discussing the subject. While reading the article about Annie Chambers Caddell's Confederate flag proudly displayed in a predominantly black South Carolina neighborhood, my interest in the flag debate rose again. Not because of her reasons for flying the flag (if you're curious about her reasons, see the reasons I listed above), but because of her emotional assertion that she isn't racist.

I'm going to educate Caddell about why people (like her black neighbors) assume she is racist for raising that flag. I'll start with a little analogy.

My Opa (German for "grandpa") and two of my uncles fought for Hitler. Two of my other uncles were in Hitler's youth camps. My father was not old enough to either fight or attend a youth camp. My father did, however, grow up to marry a Puerto Rican woman and work for a very nice Arab family. Am I proud of my father? Yes, I am. Yet, I wouldn't don a S.S. uniform and waltz into a synagogue proclaiming, "Nah, don't worry. I'm not an anti-Semite. I'm just proud of my ancestors and celebrating my heritage." And then act shocked and indignant when everyone does not comfortably accept my assertion. Perhaps even shed a lone tear in wonderment as to why they would possibly take offense to my action.

Why?

I understand that Hitler was a horrid person, his actions atrocious. Any symbol pertaining to his rule will likely be taken by others as my supporting Hitler's actions. In the same way, you non-racist Confederate flag wavers, you are supporting the actions of the South's choice to support and defend an economic system based largely on the oppression on an entire section of people. Your flag, your pride, is saying, "Yep, we done good when we left that dumb Union. Crazies. Thinkin' blacks are worth more than just labor."

In case you determine that my reasoning with that is a bit dated, and that the black community should have moved on, let's talk about Jim Crow laws. You remember those, right? The laws the allowed segregation, demeaning blacks and prevented many of them attaining a good education or a good job. The laws that many of your ancestors used as a reason to harass, murder, and torture blacks? They tended to wave that darn Confederate flag while they did that too. Flag-waving and cross-burning.

Although you may think you are not racist by proudly waving that flag, you should at least have the decency to understand why blacks (and many non-blacks) are offended by the stigma of the flag. To stand up in public, in front of your neighborhood, and act the victim in this is pathetic, shameless, and just plain ignorant.

If you are so proud of your heritage, then you should be better acquainted with the history that your heritage represents.
    "
  • Options
    JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    redrock wrote:

Although you may think you are not racist by proudly waving that flag, you should at least have the decency to understand why blacks (and many non-blacks) are offended by the stigma of the flag. To stand up in public, in front of your neighborhood, and act the victim in this is pathetic, shameless, and just plain ignorant.

If you are so proud of your heritage, then you should be better acquainted with the history that your heritage represents.

Great point.
  • Options
    mysticweedmysticweed Posts: 3,710
    we have a few black families in our little subdivision
    and a guy that has the con-flag front plate on his (yes) pick-up truck
    it makes me cringe
    fuck 'em if they can't take a joke

"what a long, strange trip it's been"
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,594
    I had this roommate in college, and I really didn't know him before we became roommates. He sets up his room and everything, and asks if I want to see it. I walk in, and he has a giant confederate flag hung on the wall over his bed. :fp: :fp: I said, "what the FUCK?! Why do you have that on your wall?!" And he said, "Because it looks cool!" :fp: I told him what it stood for, and was like, "Duuuuhhh, oh really?" .... I moved out about 2 months later. He was just too dumb to be roommates with. :lol: (but it should be said, after I told him what it stands for, he kept it on his wall. He was an idiot. He ended up flunking out of school, getting hooked on crack and living in a U-haul trailer down by the river, and was a male prostitute and wasn't even gay.... I guess being too stupid to grasp the meaning behind the confederate flag was the least of his problems).
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Jeanwah wrote:
    redrock wrote:

Great point.

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    Jeanwah wrote:
    redrock wrote:

Great point.

I can recall seeing a show I can't remember the name but they had a car called The General Lee I think with a Confederate flag on the roof. It didn't bother me much seeing the flag in that context, that's there preference. However, when displayed in protest marches or parades I'm concerned about the mass reaction in opposition to the flag as to what it once represented and still does to some.

Peace

• Options
    what's up with, "the south will rise again?" can someone explain this to me?

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
This discussion has been closed.