Options

confederate flag: offensive or historical?

18910111214»

Comments

• Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    pj1981 wrote:
    The South is no different than anywhere else. It is far less segregated and less hateful
    in general that other parts of the country.

I should've just given up when I read this post :lol:
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,589
    pj1981 wrote:
    The South is no different than anywhere else. It is far less segregated and less hateful

:lol: No shit!

As far as I can tell, there is no changing people's minds. It's clear that this symbol is hurtful and offensive to most people because it stands for racism and all the horrors inflicted upon an entire race of people in America for centuries (and all the hate that is still inflicted upon them now). However, it's also cleat that some people just don't give a shit that that is what they are doing to people's feelings. They'd rather fly a flag than spare people the indignity of having that history and present rubbed in their face. Oh well. That is their prerogative. Not sure how they can feel good about it, but since a few do, nothing we can do about it obviously. :|
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    I had to do a double take on reading some recent posts... Some 'styles' and 'content' can be so similar between a couple of people!

Anyway... thread going in circles again....

I love cats... :oops:
  • Options
    redrock wrote:
    I had to do a double take on reading some recent posts... Some 'styles' and 'content' can be so similar between a couple of people!
    Indeed.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    25.jpg

The Plot Thickens
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    this thread is snoring boring now. and thank you (you know who you are) for getting someone a permanent ban. what possesses you to do none stop reporting of others? this is tattle tailing like a 1st grader. I will not be posting in this thread anymore & I suggest many of you do the same. permanent ban? a lifetime ban? permanent banning? I find this out of control
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    The following can also be used in defense of flying this flag:
    th?id=H.4566698029023806&pid=15.1
    "This is not the flag that their ancestors held when they suffered and died. Many who fought did not support genocide either.
    How about people learn to hate the haters who deserve it and leave those who are honoring history and loved ones lost in the war to their personal dedication.
    Must be too difficult to differentiate amidst all the judging.
    "
    Is it okay to fly the symbol of slavery... and not okay to fly the symbol of anti-Semitism?
    The justification is that the battle flag should be free to fly in honor of the fallen soldier. I understand that.
    But, as in everything, there is a different side.
    What about the ancestors of the people who SUFFERED under those flags? Should their suffering go ignored, just because the ancestor of a war dead wants to display their flag? The flags remain he same, but the underlying symbolism has evolved... from a flag denoting one side of a war to one of the underlying reasons of the war.
    The Battle Flag had its place in human history... on the battle field. That is where it should remain... as a reminder of Man's capability of inhumane acts.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    Cosmo wrote:
    The following can also be used in defense of flying this flag:
    th?id=H.4566698029023806&pid=15.1
    "This is not the flag that their ancestors held when they suffered and died. Many who fought did not support genocide either.
    How about people learn to hate the haters who deserve it and leave those who are honoring history and loved ones lost in the war to their personal dedication.
    Must be too difficult to differentiate amidst all the judging.
    "
    Is it okay to fly the symbol of slavery... and not okay to fly the symbol of anti-Semitism?
    The justification is that the battle flag should be free to fly in honor of the fallen soldier. I understand that.
    But, as in everything, there is a different side.
    What about the ancestors of the people who SUFFERED under those flags? Should their suffering go ignored, just because the ancestor of a war dead wants to display their flag? The flags remain he same, but the underlying symbolism has evolved... from a flag denoting one side of a war to one of the underlying reasons of the war.
    The Battle Flag had its place in human history... on the battle field. That is where it should remain... as a reminder of Man's capability of inhumane acts.
    :clap:
  • Options
    BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    chadwick wrote:
    this thread is snoring boring now. and thank you (you know who you are) for getting someone a permanent ban. what possesses you to do none stop reporting of others? this is tattle tailing like a 1st grader. I will not be posting in this thread anymore & I suggest many of you do the same. permanent ban? a lifetime ban? permanent banning? I find this out of control

Who got the boot?

EYE see.
  • Options
    STAYSEASTAYSEA Posts: 3,814
    redrock wrote:
    STAYSEA wrote:

The Confederate Flag is HISTORICAL.

Of course it's historical. No argument about that (though maybe the wording of the title can be a bit confusing).

But historical doesn't preclude offensive.

This was the OP's question. WE answered it. I'm sure!
    If you care to see the OP's question. I agree with the school. Unless, the 8th grade kid was wearing the shirt because Civil War reenactments are his/her hobby or they really like history, I can see a reason.

other than that, I don't think the kid should wear it to school. That is why the schools have rules, and codes of conduct.

Should I start a thread on whether or not Guys should sag their baggy pants.

102201d1350017352-sagging-pants-stupidest-fashion-all-time-saggin.jpg

Who wants to see underwear all the time? Are you offended?

There is a law in Miami.. I'm SERIOUS. You will be fined if you sag and bag. Is that historical, racist, offensive or a violation of Human rights? IDK. But it's a law that was passed.

I'm offended by people that eat mayonnaise. :fp:
  • Options
    STAYSEA wrote:
    Should I start a thread on whether or not Guys should sag their baggy pants.

102201d1350017352-sagging-pants-stupidest-fashion-all-time-saggin.jpg

Who wants to see underwear all the time? Are you offended?

There is a law in Miami.. I'm SERIOUS. You will be fined if you sag and bag. Is that historical, racist, offensive or a violation of Human rights? IDK. But it's a law that was passed.

I'm offended by people that eat mayonnaise. :fp:
    Wearing pants below the ass is a 'Fashion Statement'.
    The Statement is, "Look at what a fucking dumbshit I am... i can't even figure out how pants work".
    The fine should a slap on the head and the warning, 'Don't be such a fucking dumbshit."
    "And pull up your fucking pants."
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    Cosmo wrote:
    Wearing pants below the ass is a 'Fashion Statement'.
    The Statement is, "Look at what a fucking dumbshit I am... i can't even figure out how pants work".
    The fine should a slap on the head and the warning, 'Don't be such a fucking dumbshit."
    "And pull up your fucking pants."
    You always see these douches on "Cops" asking the police to pull their pants up for them when they're handcuffed, because they start falling from below their asses (where they're supposed to be :fp: ) to their knees. :lol: It doesn't seem to occur to them that if they'd just worn a belt they probably would have been able to outrun the cops and escape arrest. :fp:
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    You always see these douches on "Cops" asking the police to pull their pants up for them when they're handcuffed, because they start falling from below their asses (where they're supposed to be :fp: ) to their knees. :lol: It doesn't seem to occur to them that if they'd just worn a belt they probably would have been able to outrun the cops and escape arrest. :fp:
    You'd think they'd figure out that you can't run from the cops if your pants are down around you ankles.
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,931
    chadwick wrote:

I don't know who got the ban but I agree. What could have been so bad in this thread that the response has to be the permanent ban of a paying member? I find it to be a strange and disappointing way of doing business.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    riotgrlriotgrl LOUISVILLE Posts: 1,892
    redrock wrote:

Funny how styles can be so similar :shock: . I agree with Chadwick, I'm done with this thread - too bad, yet another thread that had real potential....
    Are we getting something out of this all-encompassing trip?

Seems my preconceptions are what should have been burned...

I AM MINE
  • Options
    JBiiJBii Lake Spivey Posts: 354
    The flag is both but hey those reenactments you guys should check them out.
    Might help with opinions to experience them and the people.

We have loved Atlanta and all the great people here.
    Employed many born and raised Southerners, many of our friends are from here
    and our business associates. Atlanta a melting pot though with people from all over.

Not sure where the idea is coming from that the South has a racism problem
    any more than anywhere else. After 23 years here just don't see it.

No time to read all through just the last couple pages.
    Thought I'd defend my home region from the scandal :lol: Looks like it can get hot ,
    kind of like the South. I like it hot. Who's with me?
    That what you fear the most could meet you halfway
  • Options
    riotgrl wrote:
    redrock wrote:

Funny how styles can be so similar :shock: . I agree with Chadwick, I'm done with this thread - too bad, yet another thread that had real potential....
    I can see why people would be afraid of cats...
    civil+war+cats.jpg
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    pj1981 wrote:

Hey man where have you lived in your life to compare? Me I've only been in Milwaukee
    and when we go back we don't see a black person. Too segregated nothing like here in Atlanta.
    We have great black neighbors and have since moving here 23 years ago.
    No hate either so is this coming from Florida?
  • Options
    redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    :lol::lol:
  • Options
    JBii wrote:
    I'm not sure you'd get the same response... if you were born black.
    Just because you don't see it... does not mean it does not exist.
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    quote="redrock"]I had to do a double take on reading some recent posts... Some 'styles' and 'content' can be so similar between a couple of people!

I love cats... :oops:[/quote]
    I love cats too but am allergic :(

When a thread goes in circles what does that mean? is that when someone is not agreeing with
    the crowd? I read the last couple pages and it seemed that's what happened.
    I'll keep a look out and see in the next threads.
  • Options
    JBii wrote:
    The flag is both but hey those reenactments you guys should check them out.
    Might help with opinions to experience them and the people.

We have loved Atlanta and all the great people here.
    Employed many born and raised Southerners, many of our friends are from here
    and our business associates. Atlanta a melting pot though with people from all over.

No time to read all through just the last couple pages.
    Thought I'd defend my home region from the scandal :lol: Looks like it can get hot ,
    kind of like the South. I like it hot. Who's with me?
    The idea that the South has a racism problem comes from.... well, all the racism in the South. They still have segregated high school events and shit down there. That stuff gets on the news. I know a black guy who grew up in Miami, and he said that the racism was actually WORSE for black people in the South than Canadians even imagine it to be, which means it's really bad! He came to Canada because he and his family simply could not stand the racism in America anymore .... Maybe you are just not aware of it because your are not the victim of racism??
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,312
    We are never going to agree i respect the opinions of the southern folk here ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,772
    The thread has been derailed and the discussion is creating misinformation regarding other members. It's never ok to gossip about other members here. The thread is done. It's ok to begin another thread about the flag discussion or baggy pants (the pants one might be better in AET.) Thanks.
    Falling down,...not staying down
This discussion has been closed.