Boston Marathon - explosion

Comments

• IdrisIdris Posts: 2,317
    brianlux wrote:
    why not be fair and wait until the facts come out? Why jump to conclusions that unnecessarily increase biases?

Why not? Cause that would be the smart thing to do, and since when do we do what the smart/right thing is?
    -

But what we do know is that innocent people were killed, and we can't trust the media or our government. I say that only basing it on history.
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,626
    Godfather. wrote:
    not to stirr up anything Brian but I'll bet the first thing people thought when this happened was the group
    I mentioned had done it or at least they came to mind and with all the distruction this group has been causing around the world and here in in the US how can you blame them (me) for thinking that ? I just call it like I see it, it's not like it would be a big suprise if was the group I mentioned.

Godfather.

I get it, Godfather. It's natural for any of us to jump to such a conclusion but I guess what I'm saying is that we should keep that thinking in check until we know the facts. Timothy McVeigh was not an Arabic or Muslim person. How do we know this wasn't some white guy or a Hispanic or what ever? I'm just suggesting we wait and see what the facts are before we jump to conclusions. And no, I don't believe you were trying to stir things up. :)
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• stickfig13stickfig13 Posts: 1,532
    [[/quote]

I get it, Godfather. It's natural for any of us to jump to such a conclusion but I guess what I'm saying is that we should keep that thinking in check until we know the facts. Timothy McVeigh was not an Arabic or Muslim person. How do we know this wasn't some white guy or a Hispanic or what ever? I'm just suggesting we wait and see what the facts are before we jump to conclusions. And no, I don't believe you were trying to stir things up. :)[/quote]

So many folks hammering people for assuming that this was the work of fanatical Muslim terrorist. Given their track record I don't that assumption is out of line.

That said, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to hear that this was the work of a homegrown band of angry white guys.

How ironic would it be if it turned out to be angry white guys. The same angry white guys that were out beating on "brown" people post 9-11
    Sacramento 10-30-00, Bridge School 10-20 and 10-21-01, Bridge School 10-25 and 10-26-01, Irvine 06-02-03, Irvine 06-03-03, San Diego 06-05-03, San Diego 07-07-06, Los Angeles 07-09-06, Santa Barbara 07-13-06, London UK 06-18-07, San Diego 10-9-09, San Diego 2013, LA 1 2013
  • badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    Godfather. wrote:
    not to stirr up anything Brian but I'll bet the first thing people thought when this happened was the group
    I mentioned had done it or at least they came to mind and with all the distruction this group has been causing around the world and here in in the US how can you blame them (me) for thinking that ? I just call it like I see it, it's not like it would be a big suprise if was the group I mentioned.

Godfather.

You think like that cuz your brain has been brain washed to believe that. It's been conditioned to believe WHENEVER shit like this happens, it's GOT TO BE THOSE BROWN SKINNED ALLAH WORSHIPPING DEVILS.

Yesterday's shit was pure EVIL WHOEVER did it! If it comes out to be a Muslim, FUCK HIM, hang him by his balls. I'll pull the lever. But dnt sit here and start blaming people for something that we dnt know who did it. Seeing how you seem to get all your news from FAUX news, I'm not suprised at all that you feel this way.

The real heros of this massacre, the VICTIMS! They're the ones who are innocently pawned in this evil world. All Americans are Bostonians today, from Hawaii to Maine, all Bostonians... :(
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    stickfig13 wrote:
    So many folks hammering people for assuming that this was the work of fanatical Muslim terrorist. Given their track record I don't that assumption is out of line.

That said, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to hear that this was the work of a homegrown band of angry white guys.

How ironic would it be if it turned out to be angry white guys. The same angry white guys that were out beating on "brown" people post 9-11

I'm guessing anyone (or anyones) who pulled this shit is/are "angry".

For all the calls to not speculate, there sure is a lot of that happening.
  • vant0037vant0037 Posts: 6,109
    stickfig13 wrote:

True, but the American soil track record of fanatical Muslim terrorists isn't - I'll say this delicately - one that typically occurs like this. In other words, if it was truly the product of a sophisticated foreign organization intent on committing terror attacks in America, wouldn't you expect it to be much larger in scale (I feel sick even saying that)?

I think many are worried at how easy people revert from legitimately questioning "who did this?" to "it must have been foreigners." It very well might turn out to be foreign-based, but it's concerning how quick people are jumping to that conclusion, given the lack of information anyone really has.

As you intuited in your post, given what we know (perhaps more importantly, what we don't know), this has just as many markings of a domestic terrorist act as it does a foreign-based terrorist act.
    stickfig13 wrote:

Indeed, it would be very ironic.
    1998-06-30 Minneapolis
    2003-06-16 St. Paul
    2006-06-26 St. Paul
    2007-08-05 Chicago
    2009-08-23 Chicago
    2009-08-28 San Francisco
    2010-05-01 NOLA (Jazz Fest)
    2011-07-02 EV Minneapolis
    2011-09-03 PJ20
    2011-09-04 PJ20
    2011-09-17 Winnipeg
    2012-06-26 Amsterdam
    2012-06-27 Amsterdam
    2013-07-19 Wrigley
    2013-11-21 San Diego
    2013-11-23 Los Angeles
    2013-11-24 Los Angeles
    2014-07-08 Leeds, UK
    2014-07-11 Milton Keynes, UK
    2014-10-09 Lincoln
    2014-10-19 St. Paul
    2014-10-20 Milwaukee
    2016-08-20 Wrigley 1
    2016-08-22 Wrigley 2
    2018-06-18 London 1
    2018-08-18 Wrigley 1
    2018-08-20 Wrigley 2
    2022-09-16 Nashville
    2023-08-31 St. Paul
    2023-09-02 St. Paul
    2023-09-05 Chicago 1
    2023-08-31 Wrigley 2
    2023-09-15 Fenway 1
  • Godfather. wrote:

Godfather.

probably the same for mid-easterners to assume that if a plane flies overhead and bombs them to assume it was an american plane.

and you aren't calling it how you see it. you are calling it how you assume it.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
    [/quote]

I'm guessing anyone (or anyones) who pulled this shit is/are "angry".

[/quote]

Angry in that they aren't likely to NOT have ties to hateful/racist/rougue/anti-goverment organizations white guys
    Sacramento 10-30-00, Bridge School 10-20 and 10-21-01, Bridge School 10-25 and 10-26-01, Irvine 06-02-03, Irvine 06-03-03, San Diego 06-05-03, San Diego 07-07-06, Los Angeles 07-09-06, Santa Barbara 07-13-06, London UK 06-18-07, San Diego 10-9-09, San Diego 2013, LA 1 2013
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,888
    Godfather. wrote:
    http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2013/04/15/photo-obama-gets-updates-on-boston-bombings/?hpt=hp_t2

-Notably absent from his remarks was the word "terror," though federal investigators are classifying the bombings as a terror event. It is not clear if it's from a domestic or foreign source, a federal law enforcement official with knowledge of the investigation said.-

I think we all have an idea what group is responisable for this but in any case who ever did this it is an act of TERRORISM plain and simple and the death penalty is in order for ALL the persons involved in planting these bombs.

Godfather.
    I have absolutely no idea about what group is responsible for this....
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    edited April 2013
    brianlux wrote:
    Godfather. wrote:

Godfather.

I get it, Godfather. It's natural for any of us to jump to such a conclusion but I guess what I'm saying is that we should keep that thinking in check until we know the facts. Timothy McVeigh was not an Arabic or Muslim person. How do we know this wasn't some white guy or a Hispanic or what ever? I'm just suggesting we wait and see what the facts are before we jump to conclusions. And no, I don't believe you were trying to stir things up. :)
    I think the only reason anyone is making such a conclusion is because of that irresponsible reporting about some Saudi national who was in the hospital and a person of interest (and many news outlet called him a suspect). For all we know, that guy was simply profiled because he's from the middle east. Or maybe he was involved. The point is, no one knows, but the focus on this guy (1 out of many who were persons of interest) has done its job if the job was to place unfounded early suspicions in the public's minds. Me, I am not even going to try to guess what the motive was or who did it. I'm just going to wait for the investigation to happen and for them to actually say who did it and why.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    edited April 2013
    Godfather. wrote:
    to be fair yes we should wait for the facts but this type of attack is or has been common for a certin group of people (taliban/muslims) and their wanna be followers.

Godfather.

Actually, I was trying to stay out of the speculation party... but I think most of the attacks from the people you suggested are usually on some kind of target that could hurt our country financially (ie trade center/pentagon etc). This type of bombing (Boston), if I had to guess, is more for shock... and out of anger, ie McVeigh etc...

But yes, that's all speculation... we'll see. I actually had the worst feeling this morning that we might never know who did it. :evil:
    Post edited by JonnyPistachio on
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Too bad things like this have to happen in the world we live in.

Now, if this Saudi dude is behind something, like planting the bombs. Do we really think with the US track record of seeing the evidence, yet accusing the wrong country will come to fruition again. Since the press is speculating, i may as well.

The poison from the poison stream caught up to you ELEVEN years ago and you floated out of here. Sept. 14, 08

Too bad things like this have to happen in the world we live in.

Now, if this Saudi dude is behind something, like planting the bombs. Do we really think with the US track record of seeing the evidence, yet accusing the wrong country will come to fruition again. Since the press is speculating, i may as well.

Saudi guy with North Korea connections :o :shock:

;)
  • mikepegg44mikepegg44 Posts: 3,353
    Godfather. wrote:

Godfather.

I have to say, based on the day it was, the location and the type I immediately thought of a domestic extremist the likes of T. McVeigh. But I think you are right, I bet a large portion of the population immediately jumped to foreign terror. And quite honestly I don't blame people for thinking that, I just hope they are able to look at all the evidence objectively as it comes out and change their perceptions if it is proven to be something or someone else.

This will breed conspiracy theorists as far as the eye can see. In a form of morbid curiosity, I cannot wait for how far down the rabbit hole people go with it.
    that’s right! Can’t we all just get together and focus on our real enemies: monogamous gays and stem cells… - Ned Flanders
    It is terrifying when you are too stupid to know who is dumb
    - Joe Rogan
  • Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    badbrains wrote:
    Godfather. wrote:

Godfather.

You think like that cuz your brain has been brain washed to believe that. It's been conditioned to believe WHENEVER shit like this happens, it's GOT TO BE THOSE BROWN SKINNED ALLAH WORSHIPPING DEVILS.

Yesterday's shit was pure EVIL WHOEVER did it! If it comes out to be a Muslim, FUCK HIM, hang him by his balls. I'll pull the lever. But dnt sit here and start blaming people for something that we dnt know who did it. Seeing how you seem to get all your news from FAUX news, I'm not suprised at all that you feel this way.

The real heros of this massacre, the VICTIMS! They're the ones who are innocently pawned in this evil world. All Americans are Bostonians today, from Hawaii to Maine, all Bostonians... :(

I don't believe I was out of line with my post, there is no need for you get nasty, it is just my thought on it.

Godfather.
  • stickfig13 wrote:
    Too bad things like this have to happen in the world we live in.

Saudi guy with North Korea connections :o :shock:

;)

What he said! 8-)

The poison from the poison stream caught up to you ELEVEN years ago and you floated out of here. Sept. 14, 08

mikepegg44 wrote:
    Godfather. wrote:

Godfather.

I have to say, based on the day it was, the location and the type I immediately thought of a domestic extremist the likes of T. McVeigh. But I think you are right, I bet a large portion of the population immediately jumped to foreign terror. And quite honestly I don't blame people for thinking that, I just hope they are able to look at all the evidence objectively as it comes out and change their perceptions if it is proven to be something or someone else.

This will breed conspiracy theorists as far as the eye can see. In a form of morbid curiosity, I cannot wait for how far down the rabbit hole people go with it.

it was my first thought (fear) but if turns out not to be then great,I do hope I am wrong and wish it had not happened at all.

Godfather.
    edited April 2013
    mikepegg44 wrote:
    Godfather. wrote:

Godfather.

Yeah, my first guess was domestic too. Maybe some kind of twisted political statement, or maybe a sadist. Of course, it could be Islamic militants or something, but I have no reason to suspect that more than anything else. The fact that no one has stepped forward to claim responsibility is an argument against it being Islamic terrorists. They are usually eager to claim responsibility. Of course, it could have been one of those fucking young homegrown Islamic fanatics who decided to do this. So again, domestic, with an influence from Al-Qaeda or something. All kinds of possibilities!

Also, I find it hard to believe that the person who planted the bombs would have just stood there right next to it waiting for it to go off, which is why I found it doubtful that this Saudi man was involved. I would have thought that whoever did it would have been out of there before the bombs went off, and the Saudi guy was injured. Why would he have let that happen?? Whoever planted the bombs clearly had plenty of time to do it, since there were at least 3 of them spaced apart. Something could have gone wrong I guess, but that's not my first assumption. Let's not forget that this is a major event with international participation. That some Saudi guy with an accent was there is not suspicious in and of itself.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    A source close to the investigation told Fox News that the style of the device used closely resembles that commonly seen in Afghanistan and Pakistan. Another source confirmed that "pressure cookers were used in both devices."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/04/16/ma ... z2QeJfFbRK

FAUX :o ..... :lol::lol::lol:

Godfather.
    Godfather. wrote:
    A source close to the investigation told Fox News that the style of the device used closely resembles that commonly seen in Afghanistan and Pakistan. Another source confirmed that "pressure cookers were used in both devices."

Godfather.

I love how u dnt mention that another source says it resembles the Atlanta bombing, done by an American white boy. Again, FAUX news :fp: :roll:
  • Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Posts: 8,661
    badbrains wrote:
    Godfather. wrote:

Godfather.

I love how u dnt mention that another source says it resembles the Atlanta bombing, done by an American white boy. Again, FAUX news :fp: :roll:

CNN, ABC, and NBC said that it resembled the thwarted NYC subway attack in 2010. :)
    badbrains wrote:
    Godfather. wrote:

Godfather.

badbrains........really ? I think you need to switch to decaf. :lol:

Godfather.
    Godfather. wrote:
    badbrains wrote:
    Godfather. wrote:

Godfather.

badbrains........really ? I think you need to switch to decaf. :lol:

Godfather.

I need to switch to decaf as much as u need to switch to REAL news sources.

Bad Brains
    badbrains wrote:
    Godfather. wrote:

Godfather.

CNN, ABC, and NBC said that it resembled the thwarted NYC subway attack in 2010. :)
    Okay, so it resembles bombs that various people can make by referring to the internet. I don't see what the point is.
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,123
    My first thought yesterday was that it was a gas explosion, that the two blasts were each different manhole covers. But that was hoping more than thinking and I knew those hopes were in vain.

My second thought was of Tim McVeigh.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Posts: 8,661
    Neither do I. I dont even know which one of you I agree with. I try and watch all the different news sources.
    badbrains wrote:
    Godfather. wrote:

Godfather.

From the article:
    Jeff Lanza, another retired FBI agent, said the Boston case "bears striking similarities" to the bombings at the 1996 summer Olympic Games in Atlanta, in which Eric Robert Rudolph planted three pipe bombs with “lots of shrapnel,” killing two and injuring 111 people.
  • JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    JimmyV wrote:
    Thankful there are people like this in this world. Click the link. It is not at all what you think.

http://bostonmarathonconspiracy.com/
    Good stuff. A+ to u sir.

That's awesome.
  • look at all of us arguing about this and sniping at each other.

it is times like this where we should be trying to figure out what happened and hold those parties responsible instead of attacking each other. us attacking each other is what the bomber(s) wanted. we can't focus on investigating and solving the crime if we fight each other, put out disinformation and cynical conspiracy theories, politicize the bombing, and make uninformed statements based on how we "feel" or our "gut feeling."

as i said before, i am holding in my anger until we know more details. i think it would be helpful for us all to do the same.

just sayin'.
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,123
    look at all of us arguing about this and sniping at each other.

it is times like this where we should be trying to figure out what happened and hold those parties responsible instead of attacking each other. us attacking each other is what the bomber(s) wanted. we can't focus on investigating and solving the crime if we fight each other, put out disinformation and cynical conspiracy theories, politicize the bombing, and make uninformed statements based on how we "feel" or our "gut feeling."

as i said before, i am holding in my anger until we know more details. i think it would be helpful for us all to do the same.

just sayin'.

Agreed. Lets all take a deep breath. We are all here because we love the same band. No matter what we still have at least that much in common. Lets all take a step back from the usual battle lines.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."