Boston Marathon - explosion

Comments

• LiftedLifted Posts: 1,833
    marcos wrote:
    Jason P wrote:
    I feel as if we (each) are hoping a certain group did this ...

Such is human nature.

Seems to me being tax day it falls on homegrown ... But it wasn't a federal target that was hit, it was a soft target, which leads me leaning towards radical Islam ...

Whoever it was, heads on spikes ....

:evil:

I have to disagree i'm thinking a home grown american is the culprit ...

I'm still very conflicted and without a clue, though this week, with all of the past history of homegrown attacks, it would make sense that it's homegrown. And they say the longer the investigation, the more likely the culprit will get away as the others were caught quickly either through investigation or luck. Either way yesterday & today have been so depressing for everyone no matter the politics.

it will be interesting to see how this plays out. hopefully whoever did this will be found. the more time that passes though, the more I think it's not an act of terrorism at all, foreign or domestic, and is actually just some demented individual who committed a disgusting act. in which case, they'll probably get away with it, unless they get arrested for something else. the fact that the person(s) who did it has chosen not to be found out is perplexing. usually when something of this magnitude is pulled off, the culprit wants to me known for it, or at least (especially in the case of terrorism) have a specific message sent. we have no motive, no suspect, and seemingly no real leads. this is just so bizarre. and cowardly. and the Boston marathon of all places. such a weird target. doesn't make sense politically if it was terrorism. and i can think of 100s of better targets, in Boston alone, if the intent was to inflict mass casualties. the investigators have their hands full.
  • unsungunsung Posts: 9,487
    If this is homegrown I would be very surprised.

If it is a foreign attack then we really only have ourselves to blame. Yes I blame us. Our foreign policies cripple those that aren't in our back pocket, and we pay off the rest to be our friends. Maybe if we weren't the empire of the world. Maybe if we weren't shooting missiles from drones in Pakistan killing 50 civilians for every labled terrorist. I'm guessing that those Pakistanis view a drone strike on their sovereign nation as a terrorist attack.

Those that support this foreign policy are to blame if it is a foreign attack.
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,123
    Thank you to those of you who have been respectful in this thread. It has been appreciated.

My office reopens today. We are about a block from Copley. So many thoughts swirl through my head but I think it is best to keep them to myself for now. Have to get back on the horse as life goes on.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • LiftedLifted Posts: 1,833
    unsung wrote:

If it is a foreign attack then we really only have ourselves to blame. Yes I blame us. Our foreign policies cripple those that aren't in our back pocket, and we pay off the rest to be our friends. Maybe if we weren't the empire of the world. Maybe if we weren't shooting missiles from drones in Pakistan killing 50 civilians for every labled terrorist. I'm guessing that those Pakistanis view a drone strike on their sovereign nation as a terrorist attack.

id be surprised at this point if it wasn't homegrown. but sadly, I generally agree with your sentiments if it's not.
  • blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889
    Jason P wrote:
    I feel as if we (each) are hoping a certain group did this ...

Such is human nature.

Seems to me being tax day it falls on homegrown ... But it wasn't a federal target that was hit, it was a soft target, which leads me leaning towards radical Islam ...

Whoever it was, heads on spikes ....

:evil:
    Yeah, that's what gives me hesitation in thinking it was a homegrown attack... Typically those wingnuts focus their anger on specific targets, usually government, or racial/religious type targets. This was basically going after the everyday average American citizen.

It reminds me of the failed Times Square bombing or the London subway bombings, where it was radical Islamist vs the West in one form or another.

Who knows... it seems like the authorities have some good evidence with the bomb parts, and with all of the photo/video of that area, it just seems like it's a matter of time before something is narrowed down.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
    aerial wrote:
    With all the cameras on the streets you would think they would have something by now......It would not surprise me if this administration did one of there famous cover ups on this tragic event.....if a certain Terrorist group is involved.....
    God Bless all the victims and there families....

Go sit on a hammer.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    you usually only take credit after the show is over
  • aerialaerial Posts: 2,319
    aerial wrote:
    With all the cameras on the streets you would think they would have something by now......It would not surprise me if this administration did one of there famous cover ups on this tragic event.....if a certain Terrorist group is involved.....
    God Bless all the victims and there families....

Go sit on a hammer.

?
    “We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.” Abraham Lincoln
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    aerial wrote:
    and you will be the first they tell..

come one..they are carefull what to say to public or what infos they leak to media..

no investigation group,or secret servise or agents in the whole planet will give all they have to the public..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    JimmyV wrote:
    Thank you to those of you who have been respectful in this thread. It has been appreciated.

My office reopens today. We are about a block from Copley. So many thoughts swirl through my head but I think it is best to keep them to myself for now. Have to get back on the horse as life goes on.
    Hope you know you can vent here (and if not here, somewhere).
    what i found intresting is i saw what president Obama said,and he didnt use the world terrorism at his speech
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • IndifferenceIndifference Posts: 2,679
    what i found intresting is i saw what president Obama said,and he didnt use the world terrorism at his speech

Didn't on Monday - did on Tuesday.

SHOW COUNT: (157) 1990's=3, 2000's=53, 2010/20's=97, US=116, CAN=15, Europe=20 ,New Zealand=2, Australia=2
    Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

Upcoming:   Ohana x2  Aucklandx2, Gold Coast, Melbournex2

Didn't on Monday - did on Tuesday.
    cool,thanks for let me know ,i just catching up videos..
    i saw his first speech on monday,alot to watch and read still..
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,332

What I don;t get is why that is a big deal either way. In my opinion, who gives a shit. Everyone knows it was a crappy thing, no mater what you call it. And I'd rather him be worrying about providing the necessary resources to find out what happened and hopefully why, than to worry about what word he is going to use.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • unsung wrote:

Why would you be surprised?

Look at this very forum and the amount of people that have threatened revolution and various other things in reaction to the idea of change. I don't think anyone here really means it... but think of the extreme kooks who do. These types have lashed out before- it's not unreasonable to consider by any means.

This is all speculative at this point and until the rats are weeded out... our energies are probably best served supporting those affected.

Just a horrible event.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,332
    I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if this was a domestic attack.
    hippiemom = goodness
    I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if this was a domestic attack.
    and if is like that...well,is more dangerous
    cos if are muslism-terrorist want to hurt America,we know the reasons want to do it
    but if its domestic...im no sure can find out or go on public the truth why they hit a sport event and try to kill civilians
    I don't know who provides Comfort Dogs or how the service works. But they are here and they are a great idea.

1366209797513.cached.png

EDIT:

Here is some more info:

http://www.today.com/pets/furry-counsel ... -1C9364935

• hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    I believe they were brought in after Sandy Hook too.

What sweet faces - and I love how the middle one refuses to be distracted by what's happening to her right.
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,177
    JimmyV wrote:
    I don't know who provides Comfort Dogs or how the service works. But they are here and they are a great idea.

1366209797513.cached.png

EDIT:

Here is some more info:

Wishing you the best Bro i know it's tough to get on the horse and keep going but like you said life keeps going ....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    hedonist wrote:
    I believe they were brought in after Sandy Hook too.

What sweet faces - and I love how the middle one refuses to be distracted by what's happening to her right.

I think they were there for the first day back at school for the kids in Newtown.

Just a really great program, and so simple when you think about it.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    ― Abraham Lincoln
    JimmyV wrote:

1366209797513.cached.png

EDIT:

Here is some more info:

Wishing you the best Bro i know it's tough to get on the horse and keep going but like you said life keeps going ....

Thank you.

• check this out...

i'm not saying these ricin letters are related to the marathon bombing, but someone posted the other ricin article in this thread yesterday so i thought i would follow it up here.

the timing is interesting though. just like the anthrax letters after 9/11.

Letter sent to Obama tests positive for ricin, officials say

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/04 ... s-say?lite

A letter addressed to President Barack Obama tested positive for the poison ricin and was from the same sender who mailed a letter to a senator that also tested positive, officials told NBC News on Wednesday.

The letter to Obama was intercepted at an off-site White House mail facility and was being tested further, a Secret Service official told NBC News. A federal law enforcement official said that the letter was “very similar” to one addressed to Sen. Roger Wicker, R-Miss., that tested positive in preliminary screening for ricin.

Authorities cleared the atrium of a Senate office building Wednesday, but it was not immediately apparent why. Capitol police were also investigating a suspicious package at the office of Sen. Richard Shelby, R-Ala. Shelby’s staff had not been evacuated.

Federal officials told NBC News that they believe they know who sent the letters, but no arrest was made, and authorities were waiting for further test results.

Ricin is made from castor beans and can kill within 36 hours. There is no antidote. Some threatening letters simply contain ground castor beans, resulting in a positive field test for ricin without the concentrated poison. Results from full laboratory tests are expected in the next 24 to 48 hours.

An FBI official told NBC News that the agency did not initially believe the letters were related to the attack on the Boston Marathon on Monday.

The letter to Obama was received at the mail facility Tuesday, the official said. The FBI said Tuesday that a letter intended for Sen. Roger Wicker, R-Miss., had initially tested positive for ricin.

The Wicker letter was intercepted at a postal facility in Maryland that screens mail sent to Congress, and never reached Wicker’s office. The senator thanked law enforcement and said an investigation was underway but did not elaborate.

Other senators were made aware of the Wicker letter during a briefing Tuesday evening on the bombing in Boston. Sen. Claire McCaskill, D-Mo., said that the person who sent Wicker the letter writes often to elected officials.

The Wicker letter was postmarked Memphis, Tenn., and had no return addres.
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    refresh my memory werent the anthrax letters traced back to "govt officials"
  • JC29856 wrote:
    i don't remember. i think some scientist or researcher who worked in a government funded research lab was a suspect but i don't remember the outcome of that. there was too much going on after 9/11 that i forgot the outcome. guess i can google it when i get more time between patients.

JC29856 wrote:

The FBI was pretty convinced that this guy was responsible. But no charges were ever filed and it was less than an open and shut case.

http://www.herald-dispatch.com/x1356143 ... ts-suicide

I saw a documentary a few years ago that made a pretty convincing case that he did not do it. So who knows what really happened?

• JimmyV wrote:
    JC29856 wrote:

The FBI was pretty convinced that this guy was responsible. But no charges were ever filed and it was less than an open and shut case.

http://www.herald-dispatch.com/x1356143 ... ts-suicide

I saw a documentary a few years ago that made a pretty convincing case that he did not do it. So who knows what really happened?
    i remember that now. thanks for the refresher :D

• unsungunsung Posts: 9,487
    unsung wrote:

Why would you be surprised?

Look at this very forum and the amount of people that have threatened revolution and various other things in reaction to the idea of change. I don't think anyone here really means it... but think of the extreme kooks who do. These types have lashed out before- it's not unreasonable to consider by any means.

This is all speculative at this point and until the rats are weeded out... our energies are probably best served supporting those affected.

Just a horrible event.

Because I'd agree with what someone else said, if it was homegrown why attack civilians? Homegrown go after government properties and people. The anger is directed there.

What's wrong with discussion on why this happened? Yeah we support the ones that got hurt but to not discuss the why doesn't make sense to me. We aren't out there making accusations about specific groups.
  • events like the marathon bombing and 9/11 bring the kooks out.

when we, or terrorist organizations bomb civilians in foreign countries to people respond by sending poison laced letters to government officials? we never ever hear anything about that. :think:

• the sad thing is some people take this guy seriously :fp:

Alex Jones raises ‘false flag’ conspiracy after Boston Marathon bombings

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/fal ... 42713.html

While the country was trying to process the terror as it unfolded at the Boston Marathon on Monday, Alex Jones, a right-wing radio host, took to Twitter to express his sympathy for the victims—and to claim that the attack was part of a government conspiracy.

"Our hearts go out to those that are hurt or killed," Jones wrote. "But this thing stinks to high heaven #falseflag."

The "false flag" attack Jones was referring to is a term that originated during naval warfare. "For centuries, ships have sailed under a flag identifying their nationality," The Atlantic Wire noted. "During times of war, ships would sometimes change the national flag they flew in order to fool other vessels that they sought to attack or escape from. They would fly, in other words, a 'false flag.'"

Jones suggested that the FBI orchestrated the bombings under the false flag of a terrorist organization in order to justify expanded security powers. The Boston attack, he theorized, was staged by the U.S. government to extend the reach of both the Dept. of Homeland Security and Transportation Security Administration.

"Just wait folks," the 39-year-old Texan wrote. "#TSA groping you at sporting events coming soon."

Jones posted a YouTube video further fanning the false-flag flames, saying that reports of a "controlled explosion” drill, scheduled to coincide with the race, was proof that the FBI was behind the Boston Marathon blasts.

“I said on air that they’re getting ready to blow something up," Jones said on his radio show later on Monday, according to Salon.com. "To fire a shot heard round the world like at Lexington and Concord, and then they do it at this same place on the same day!”

While the FBI could "blame it on the Muslims," Jones predicted "they’re going to blame it on the Tea Party.”

During a press conference on Monday afternoon, Dan Bidondi, a radio host for Jones' InfoWars.com, asked Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick if the explosions were staged.

"Is this another false flag staged attack to take our civil liberties and promote homeland security while sticking their hands down our pants on the streets?" Bidondi asked. :fp:

"No," Patrick responded. "Next question."

On Tuesday, Jones led the charge in perpetuating another conspiracy theory, tweeting a link to a strategically-edited YouTube clip of a "Family Guy" episode that he claimed "predicted" the Boston Marathon attack.

Via the Hollywood Reporter:

"Turban Cowboy," which premiered in the U.S. on March 17, culminates with a scene depicting Peter Griffin accidentally blowing up a bridge by dialing a terrorist's cell phone. But in the video making the rounds online, the cell phone scene is placed immediately after an unrelated moment in the episode when Bob Costas, voicing himself, asks Peter how he won the Boston Marathon.

The clip was pulled from YouTube, Fox removed the episode from Hulu, and Seth MacFarlane, the show's creator, responded to the conspiracy claim.

"The edited Family Guy clip currently circulating is abhorrent," MacFarlane wrote on Twitter. "The event was a crime and a tragedy, and my thoughts are with the victims."

But Jones, figuratively draped in his false flag, was undeterred.

"Seth MacFarlane created a cartoon which made fun of terrorist bombings and depicted mutilated Boston Marathon runners," Jones responded. "Yet he is labeling people who merely talk about the episode as 'abhorrent.'"