Options

Boston Marathon - explosion

Comments

• Options
    Bronx BombersBronx Bombers Posts: 2,208
    NBC News: One of the two people killed in the Boston Marathon explosions was 8 years old.

Read more: http://www1.whdh.com/news/articles/loca ... z2QZf5JpS5
  • Options
    elvistheking44elvistheking44 Posts: 4,243
    CNN reports one of the dead is an 8 year old.
  • Options
    stickfig13stickfig13 Posts: 1,532
    Amid the chaos in Boston you can see news clips of heroes running TOWARD the explosions. Most of them run toward burning buildings every day. Most of them respond to calls for help every day. Some of them save lives every day. Some of them happened to be able body volunteers. All of them showed us that there are STILL plenty good people in the world.

Somebody asked for optimism....
    Sacramento 10-30-00, Bridge School 10-20 and 10-21-01, Bridge School 10-25 and 10-26-01, Irvine 06-02-03, Irvine 06-03-03, San Diego 06-05-03, San Diego 07-07-06, Los Angeles 07-09-06, Santa Barbara 07-13-06, London UK 06-18-07, San Diego 10-9-09, San Diego 2013, LA 1 2013
  • Options
    An 8 year old kid. How sad. A whole life ahead of him/her, taken away by some crazy fuck.
    ~Carter~

You can spend your time alone, redigesting past regrets, oh
    or you can come to terms and realize
    you're the only one who can't forgive yourself, oh
    makes much more sense to live in the present tense
    - Present Tense
  • Options
    AbuskedtiAbuskedti Posts: 1,917
    stickfig13 wrote:
    Amid the chaos in Boston you can see news clips of heroes running TOWARD the explosions. Most of them run toward burning buildings every day. Most of them respond to calls for help every day. Some of them save lives every day. Some of them happened to be able body volunteers. All of them showed us that there are STILL plenty good people in the world.

Where is the like button?
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    stickfig13 wrote:

Always good people in the world, just easy to lose sight of them sometimes.

People are also coming out to offer places to stay, eat, for those stuck in the city. Strangers helping strangers. Imagine that.

(so maybe the sniping about which news outlet people are watching could ease up a bit? Even in times like this, still goes on)

I really feel for those people and how their lives will be forever changed. Kudos big-time too to the hospitals who have prepared for this (how, I don't know) and have done a beyond stellar job in treating those in need.
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    The coverage has been constant here and uninterrupted by commercials or regular programming.

Now there's a 15 block radius that they're saying is going to be closed for 24 hours.
    thank you for showing up & letting us know you're ok & stuff
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    MotoDCMotoDC Posts: 947
    guypjfreak wrote:
    watching now terrible i know it sounds bad but looks like it could have been worse only 2 dead ...
    be safe over there .
    guy UK :thumbup:
    Isn't it depressing, but yeah that was my first thought as well, "Only 2?" Thank God, considering how concentrated the crowds are at events like that -- could have been so much worse...
  • Options
    stickfig13stickfig13 Posts: 1,532
    MotoDC wrote:
    guypjfreak wrote:
    watching now terrible i know it sounds bad but looks like it could have been worse only 2 dead ...
    be safe over there .
    Isn't it depressing, but yeah that was my first thought as well, "Only 2?" Thank God, considering how concentrated the crowds are at events like that -- could have been so much worse...

Terrible to say, but it makes me think it was an amateur job. Not amateur in the sense that it only killed 2 people. Amateur in the sense that it wasn't a bigger explosion. Some of the Mid East explosion take out entire corners and blocks.
    Sacramento 10-30-00, Bridge School 10-20 and 10-21-01, Bridge School 10-25 and 10-26-01, Irvine 06-02-03, Irvine 06-03-03, San Diego 06-05-03, San Diego 07-07-06, Los Angeles 07-09-06, Santa Barbara 07-13-06, London UK 06-18-07, San Diego 10-9-09, San Diego 2013, LA 1 2013
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,520
    MotoDC wrote:
    guypjfreak wrote:
    be safe over there .

If they had a gun.....some serious damage could've been done......
  • Options
    Dirtie_FrankDirtie_Frank Posts: 1,348
    Smellyman wrote:
    MotoDC wrote:
    guypjfreak wrote:
    be safe over there .

:fp:
    96 Randall's Island II
    98 CAA
    00 Virginia Beach;Camden I; Jones Beach III
    05 Borgata Night I; Wachovia Center
    06 Letterman Show; Webcast (guy in blue shirt), Camden I; DC
    08 Camden I; Camden II; DC
    09 Phillie III
    10 MSG II
    13 Wrigley Field
    16 Phillie II
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,587
    I'm just glad I live in a place where this isn't a daily occurrence.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    Evil at work. Tragic for those there and for all who are affected by such an event. I agree with the poster who wrote how inspiring it was to see people running towards the explosions to assist.

Bastards. Find who did this and kill them.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    Bronx BombersBronx Bombers Posts: 2,208
    From CNN

[Update, 7:49 p.m. ET] Doctors are "pulling ball bearings out of people in the emergency room," suggesting that the bombs were designed to propel shrapnel, a terrorism expert briefed on the investigation told CNN's Deborah Feyerick.
  • Options
    rearviewrossrearviewross Posts: 3,055
    NBC News: One of the two people killed in the Boston Marathon explosions was 8 years old.

Come on... Why do I get the feeling this is some right wing, conspiracy theory, anti government dick heads who thought this would be a great way to get back at the govt on Patriot Day.
    Forced to endure, what I cannot forgive.
  • Options
    Smellyman wrote:
    MotoDC wrote:
    guypjfreak wrote:
    be safe over there .

Not sure if you are being sarcastic or an asshole but you are actually right.
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524

Come on... Why do I get the feeling this is some right wing, conspiracy theory, anti government dick heads who thought this would be a great way to get back at the govt on Patriot Day.
    Wow. Really?

I'd rather wait for something concrete than...that.

Sad day all around. For the loss and injuries and general fucked-upness (conclusions drawn included).
  • Options
    kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,323
    Just an awful day here in the Boston area... thankfully no one I know was a victim, but I know someone who knows one of the injured... it's just terrible.

Just watched a press conference with the Governor that was on CNN, and unbelievably the first question asked was something like "Was this a false-flag attack set up to curtail our liberties?" To which Gov. Deval Patrick quickly answered "No, next question"... and at the end of the conference the guy starting yammering on about "false-flag" again... It was like AMT suddenly went prime-time for a moment there.
  • Options
    hedonist wrote:

Wow. Really?

I'd rather wait for something concrete than...that.

Sad day all around. For the loss and injuries and general fucked-upness (conclusions drawn included).

Not a conclusion just a feels like there are two likely possibilities and this doesnt seem big enough for Al Qaeda. One of those anti govt nuts just blew himself up making bombs in his home so it isnt that hard to believe. Again, its just a gut feeling based on nothing other than that.
  • Options
    Considering new info that there may have been five other unexploded devices it seems likely that I was wrong, thankfully. Appears to be large coordinated attack rather than just a couple of bombs.
  • Options
    mikalinamikalina Posts: 7,206
    My heart is just crying. How senseless and so tragic. I pray for the families....
    ********************************************************************************************* image
  • Options
    the VP of True North (company that owns the Winnipeg Jets) had just crossed the finish line when it happened. He said he was about 100 yards away when it happened. I can't imagine being that close to something that chaotic.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    I am very surprised that an attack like this hasn't happened before (Atlanta Olympics). Any sporting event is a prime location to inflict a lot of damage. What's to stop these people from dropping a IED at Turner Field or the parking lot of Soldier Field before a football game? We (the U.S.) really need to figure out how to prevent this. This is obviously beyond gun control. And its way to early to guess who's responsible. But damn, this is some real fucked up shit!
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,520
    I am very surprised that an attack like this hasn't happened before (Atlanta Olympics). Any sporting event is a prime location to inflict a lot of damage. What's to stop these people from dropping a IED at Turner Field or the parking lot of Soldier Field before a football game? We (the U.S.) really need to figure out how to prevent this. This is obviously beyond gun control. And its way to early to guess who's responsible. But damn, this is some real fucked up shit!

Well if it was al qaeda, foreign policy is a place to start. Stop killing millions in the middle east, stop using drones, stop supporting oppressive regimes etc...

stop being dicks basically
  • Options
    JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    The full weight of justice .... Death and heads on spikes ... That is justice ... :(
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,558
    Smellyman wrote:

Well if it was al qaeda, foreign policy is a place to start. Stop killing millions in the middle east, stop using drones, stop supporting oppressive regimes etc...

Another sensible and well thought out response :fp:
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    Smellyman wrote:

So if it turns out it is a bunch of anti-government white power militia groups ... What is your dumb ass excuse?

:nono: :fp:
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,758
    Jeanwah wrote:

It's helpful at times like this to remember acts of kindness. Thanks for posting it, Jeanwah.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    vant0037vant0037 Posts: 6,075
    I just have a profound sense of sadness about this all...
    1998-06-30 Minneapolis
    2003-06-16 St. Paul
    2006-06-26 St. Paul
    2007-08-05 Chicago
    2009-08-23 Chicago
    2009-08-28 San Francisco
    2010-05-01 NOLA (Jazz Fest)
    2011-07-02 EV Minneapolis
    2011-09-03 PJ20
    2011-09-04 PJ20
    2011-09-17 Winnipeg
    2012-06-26 Amsterdam