Boston Marathon - explosion

Comments

• JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,123
    If he had shown remorse he just might have escaped the death penalty. Had he turned himself in, perhaps. Had he turned his brother in, almost certainly. Most importantly...had he shown remorse and/or better judgment BEFORE carrying out multiple murder then he certainly wouldn't be facing the death penalty. This tragedy would have never happened. That is not the path he chose.

I do think we give this murderer far too much credit when we accept at face value his "justifications". He was playing at terrorist, nothing more. American involvement in the Muslim world is a convenient excuse for two brothers who, at the end of the day, just wanted to kill people. If there was no American involvement in the Muslim world I'm not sure these two would have not found some other "justification".

Just because a caught murderer says "I did it because..." does not mean that murderer is also not a liar. And liars can lie to themselves just as easily as they can to other people.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,225

Cosmo said:

Let him live amongst the animals in prison for the rest of his life... you know, the psycho lifers with their faces all tatted up with devils and skulls and swastikas.

He's never going to wind up in GA population, if he doesn't get put down like he deserves to for what he did than this is where he'll go and taxpayers will be on the hook for this worthless piece of shit for the next 50+ years

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ADX_Florence
    It still sounds like a living hell to me. Sitting in that cell... hoping you never have contact with anyone because it sounds like there are some scary-ass sonsovbitches in there. Let the prick cry into his disgusting prision loaf for the rest of his life.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • PingfahPingfah Posts: 350
    edited January 2014
    brianlux said:

Pingfah said:

brianlux said:

I also disagree with the death penalty and this is tough because to be against the death penalty, how do you make an exception? But maybe there really are exceptions to the rule.

If that's what you think, then you are not opposed to the death penalty.

How I feel or think and how I act are not always the same. Call that a character flaw- it wouldn't be my only one. Imagine that. No, at the end of the day, I'm still against the death penalty.

This isn't about how you act though, nobody is asking you to execute anybody, it's about belief and having the conviction of your beliefs.

If you oppose the death penalty, but will waive that belief for crimes that you find particularly egregious, then you don't actually oppose it at all, you just want only certain people to be eligible for it, which is exactly the same belief as everybody that openly supports the death penalty. The difference being that they are being honest about it.

• chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    edited January 2014
    brianlux said:

I also disagree with the death penalty and this is tough because to be against the death penalty, how do you make an exception? But maybe there really are exceptions to the rule.

that's what one of my old co-drivers called me... chad-exception to the rule-wick

i resemble that remark
    Post edited by chadwick on
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    the death penalty is a wonderful thing. the only problem is it might should be a tad bit swifter when the maniac scumbag is totally 100% guilty/caught red handed... pretty much immediate

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    edited January 2014
    yes swifter executions would be a good idea, that way the local cops can Judge Dredd your ass when you're 100% guilty in their opinion
    we have due process for a reason!!! if it applies to you it applies to all, we can't be indignant about NSA spying on phone records and then say execute the terrorist without a trial. this kind anti-terrorism fervor is exactly what keeps the war machine rolling in the middle east.
    solitary confinement is a fate far worse than death, and if proven guilty that's what he deserves...total isolation 24/7 so that within a few years his mind is unstable and in a few more it's irrevocably broken .
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    Idris you are correct the hypocrisy is astounding.. we have the balls to drop bombs and preemptively say, where this bomb hit any male beyond puberty and shy of death is a "combatant" not to mention the racist, nationalist hypocrisy of calling tsarnaev a terrorist and James Holmes a murderer... when you incite terror in public by creating death among random citizens it is terrorism... you might not be a politically advantageous terrorist but a terrorist nonetheless
    phone calls being bugged is being caught red handed in a rape/murder case when the prick is covered in blood & has a head collection in his cellar?

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    or those two assholes who raped & killed & set fire to that dr's family...wife & two daughters all tortured. the petit family i believe. those creeps were caught leaving the joint laughing it up. they are felons & scumbags

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    they should be throughly fucked with

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    I do agree that there is little if any difference between Tsarnaev and Holmes. However, I do disagree that racism is the reason many see a difference.

• brianlux said:

The petit murders in ct is a perfect example both were caught at the scence there was no doubt about their guilt. Also saw this the other day absolutely fucking disgusting both should face death for what they did.

http://m.nydailynews.com/1.1594744
    The Petit case makes me furious.

And the story you linked is pretty damn awful as well.

Control-Alt-Delete the human race. We need a mulligan. There are new levels of low being established daily it seems. wtf happened?
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,616
    edited February 2014
    Pingfah said:

brianlux said:

Pingfah said:

brianlux said:

How I feel or think and how I act are not always the same. Call that a character flaw- it wouldn't be my only one. Imagine that. No, at the end of the day, I'm still against the death penalty.

This isn't about how you act though, nobody is asking you to execute anybody, it's about belief and having the conviction of your beliefs.

If you oppose the death penalty, but will waive that belief for crimes that you find particularly egregious, then you don't actually oppose it at all, you just want only certain people to be eligible for it, which is exactly the same belief as everybody that openly supports the death penalty. The difference being that they are being honest about it.

Pingfah said:

brianlux said:

Pingfah said:

brianlux said:

I'm not being dishonest. Don't call me that. I said at the end of the day I'm against the death penalty. Just because I might feel like someone might deserve the death penalty doesn't mean I'm in favor of it. Feeling are not the same as actions. I've always voted against the death penalty. Now can we move on? Thanks.

Post edited by brianlux on
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

One year later...

Many friends will be back running next Monday and we will be back in the same spot to root them on.

Not sure it quite feels like a whole year has gone by.

does anybody else think that marathon running is just lame? Stumbling forward for 27 miles just fails to impress. Do it once in your life and I will be damn proud of you, do it more than once, you need a new hobby! And while I am wearing my hater cap, I would like to point out that marathon runners are not actually in shape. Ever seen a runner try to do P90X? It's like they are starting from couch potato status from what I have seen. Guys and gals who will shuffle for 10 miles but can't do 10 pushups lol
    everything in moderation i say! With the exception of PJ
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    rgambs said:

does anybody else think that marathon running is just lame? Stumbling forward for 27 miles just fails to impress. Do it once in your life and I will be damn proud of you, do it more than once, you need a new hobby! And while I am wearing my hater cap, I would like to point out that marathon runners are not actually in shape. Ever seen a runner try to do P90X? It's like they are starting from couch potato status from what I have seen. Guys and gals who will shuffle for 10 miles but can't do 10 pushups lol

Really? In this thread? Maybe AET would be a more appropriate place to air your disdain, instead of a thread of such gravity, among other things.

Me, I admire the endurance, strength and discipline running takes - let alone marathon running.

Anyway - to JimmyV, I've seen some incredible people / stories rise from and through this. Really beautiful and humbling, what people can heal from.

My thoughts are with your city today.
    hedonist said:

rgambs said:

Really? In this thread? Maybe AET would be a more appropriate place to air your disdain, instead of a thread of such gravity, among other things.

Me, I admire the endurance, strength and discipline running takes - let alone marathon running.

Anyway - to JimmyV, I've seen some incredible people / stories rise from and through this. Really beautiful and humbling, what people can heal from.

absolutely true. That negativity is off the rails. Cant play well with others = timeout corner. I should retreat to the woody silence that suits me for ahwile.
  • Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Posts: 8,661
    I can't believe it's been a year already. I have enjoyed seeing the coverage on the news and Espn about the survivors and their journey back to that race.
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    rgambs said:

hedonist said:

rgambs said:

absolutely true. That negativity is off the rails. Cant play well with others = timeout corner. I should retreat to the woody silence that suits me for ahwile.

Sorry, you just don't get it.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,759
    Boston police destroy 2 backpacks at marathon site
    Associated Press
    21 minutes ago

http://news.yahoo.com/boston-police-destroy-2-backpacks-marathon-020406908.html

BOSTON (AP) — Police have blown up two unattended backpacks found near the Boston Marathon's finish line. They say they've taken a man into custody in connection with them.

Police spokesman Dave Estrada says the backpacks were discovered Tuesday evening, a year after two bombs in backpacks exploded at the end of the marathon and killed three people.

Police say the bomb squad detonated the two backpacks found Tuesday as a precaution.

Police have kept people away and tweeted asking people to avoid the area. Trains are bypassing the nearby Copley Square station.

Survivors, first responders and relatives of those killed in last year's Boston Marathon bombing marked the anniversary Tuesday with tributes. Former Mayor Thomas Menino (meh-NEE'-noh) spoke at the nearby Hynes Convention Center.
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,759
    Suspicous Bags Found At Boston Marathon Finish Line After Solemn Tributes
    Man Arrested; Facebook Account Says He Once Lived In NYC
    April 15, 2014 11:11 PM

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2014/04/15/tributes-moment-of-silence-planned-to-mark-anniversary-of-boston-marathon-bombings/

BOSTON (CBSNewYork/AP) — Police in Boston detonated two unattended backpacks at the marathon finish line and arrested a man Tuesday night, on the one-year anniversary of the bombings that left three people dead and 260 injured during the marathon.
    The Facebook page for the man arrested indicates that he previously lived in New York.
    As CBS 2’s Don Champion reported, the area near the marathon finish line was evacuated Tuesday evening after the two unattended backpacks were found.
    WBZ-TV, Boston reported at least one of the bags was being carried by a barefoot man who was wearing a long black veil and screaming “Boston Strong.” That man has been identified as Kayvon Edson, 25, and he has been charged with disorderly conduct, disturbing the peace, and possession of a hoax device.
    Edson’s Facebook page said he has a New York connection. The social media account says he studied at the Fashion Institute of Technology in Manhattan, and also lived in Brooklyn for several years.
    A source told WBZ-TV that when Edson was stopped by police, he told them he had a rice cooker in his bag, prompting the Bomb Squad was called to the scene. The bombs that detonated at the marathon a year ago were made using pressure cookers.
    A source told CBS News that the rice cooker in the bag was full of confetti.
    The other bag contained camera equipment. It was not immediately learned whether police believe Edson or someone else left that bag.
    In a video posted online last year, Edson appears wearing a similar black outfit. His Facebook page also prominently features bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev – and even uses the Tsarnaev’s image for Edson’s profile page cover photo.
  • BinFrog said:

rgambs said:

hedonist said:

rgambs said:

Sorry, you just don't get it.
    I think he got it. I took this post as a person apologizing.
    Just a beautiful day in Boston yesterday. The kind of day you hate to see come to an end.

Go Meb! Our local news is all over this guy :)
    The trial is underway here and the testimony has been gut wrenching and heartbreaking. The details of what the victims and their families went through that day are haunting.

Two things that stand out to me:

One, the defense began their opening statement by admitting the Tsarnaev brothers did it. Their angle is that poor little Dzokhar was forced into it by his evil brother, but they are not arguing that he has been wrongly accused. Given all the false-flag talk we heard I think that admission is huge.

Two, video footage shows that Dzokhar stood behind the Richard family for FOUR MINUTES before setting his backpack down and walking away. Four minutes when he could see the faces of those who were about to become his victims. Four minutes when he could have had second thoughts, walked away, and disposed of his bomb in the alley that runs between Boylston and Newbury Streets. Four minutes when he instead decided "Yeah, this is the perfect spot."

There is no real question of guilt, only whether his punishment should be life or death. I am pro-death penalty in certain situations and this qualifies...but I'm conflicted. I do think if this guy is executed he will become a martyr to the misguided. I don't know if life in prison is a better punishment here, and I don't envy the jury tasked with making that determination at all.

• JimmyV said:

The trial is underway here and the testimony has been gut wrenching and heartbreaking. The details of what the victims and their families went through that day are haunting.

Two things that stand out to me:

One, the defense began their opening statement by admitting the Tsarnaev brothers did it. Their angle is that poor little Dzokhar was forced into it by his evil brother, but they are not arguing that he has been wrongly accused. Given all the false-flag talk we heard I think that admission is huge.

Two, video footage shows that Dzokhar stood behind the Richard family for FOUR MINUTES before setting his backpack down and walking away. Four minutes when he could see the faces of those who were about to become his victims. Four minutes when he could have had second thoughts, walked away, and disposed of his bomb in the alley that runs between Boylston and Newbury Streets. Four minutes when he instead decided "Yeah, this is the perfect spot."

There is no real question of guilt, only whether his punishment should be life or death. I am pro-death penalty in certain situations and this qualifies...but I'm conflicted. I do think if this guy is executed he will become a martyr to the misguided. I don't know if life in prison is a better punishment here, and I don't envy the jury tasked with making that determination at all.

Just so long as life in prison is general population. Let the chips fall where they may from there.

Good to see you on the boards by the way, J.

Just so long as life in prison is general population. Let the chips fall where they may from there.

Good to see you on the boards by the way, J.

With you on all three points, Thirty.

Oddly enough (or maybe not), yesterday I was listening to a news report that mentioned those minutes of...contemplation?... and also spoke to the testimony of the father of the little boy who died.

I thought of Jimmy, how literally close to home this must be. I too am happy to see you back (though sorry for the reason).
  • rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    I agree with above but may I throw in extremely hard labor should also be added for his sentence.Or kill the dip shit.Im happy either way.This is a great example of a life not being worthy.
    I agree that there is a risk of making him into a martyr by executing him. Solitary confinement with meals and showers in general population in a New England prison would avoid this risk and ensure a hard life of pain.
    Hard labor could provide a sense of meaning and accomplishment, whereas solitary confinement would force him to languish in a hellish way.
    I would add to the punishment no correspondence of any kind... No calls, no letters in, and no letters out.
    Rot and fester and lose his mind...
  • rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    rgambs said:

I agree that there is a risk of making him into a martyr by executing him. Solitary confinement with meals and showers in general population in a New England prison would avoid this risk and ensure a hard life of pain.
    Hard labor could provide a sense of meaning and accomplishment, whereas solitary confinement would force him to languish in a hellish way.
    I would add to the punishment no correspondence of any kind... No calls, no letters in, and no letters out.
    Rot and fester and lose his mind...

That would work.