Boston Marathon - explosion

Comments

• Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,936
    We bet the under and we bet wrong.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Damn. Guessing my bet on gambo's son saying hello to the world is more on point.

Gotta wonder what (more) is being considered.
  • Options
    Never thought this would reach a second day. Very curious to learn what these two questions are.

• Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    Okay so if the bomber never had the older brother, do you think he would of still done something like this?
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    callen said:

Okay so if the bomber never had the older brother, do you think he would of still done something like this?

We can't say for sure but it doesn't matter. "My brother made me do it" is a pretty weak defense, especially when you consider how long he stood by himself behind the Richard family with that bomb. There are plenty of people in this world who have a problem child for an older sibling. Not many of them do what Dzhokar did.

He committed this crime, knowingly and willfully.

• Options
    This is where he chose to stop. These are the people that he targeted. His brother is two blocks away. When it came time to set that bomb off, Dzhokar Tsarnaev was on his own.

• Options
    JimmyV said:

callen said:

We can't say for sure but it doesn't matter. "My brother made me do it" is a pretty weak defense, especially when you consider how long he stood by himself behind the Richard family with that bomb. There are plenty of people in this world who have a problem child for an older sibling. Not many of them do what Dzhokar did.

And after seeing that photo / screen-shot, with a smile on his face.
  • Options
    JimmyV said:

callen said:

No doubt.

Question posed in relation to what sentence and jury timing.

So life or death?
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    callen said:

JimmyV said:

callen said:

No doubt.

Question posed in relation to what sentence and jury timing.

So life or death?
    I don't know. I am pro-death penalty and he qualifies, both in heinousness of his crime and guilt beyond any doubt. But...I do fear he will become a martyr if executed. Maybe a tiny cell and no hope of parole is a better punishment for him. I don't know and I feel for those who have to make that decision.

• Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    Again, true muslims will see this clown as no martyr. If there is a god, this fuckface will be punished no doubt. There's no martyr for killing innocent people. That's just crazy
  • Options
    badbrains said:

Again, true muslims will see this clown as no martyr. If there is a god, this fuckface will be punished no doubt. There's no martyr for killing innocent people. That's just crazy

I'm not worried about true Muslims. Despite all their bullshit rhetoric true Muslims are not what these too were. I worry about other misguided youths who are full of rage and looking for any excuse to let it out. To them Dzhokar could become a martyr. That's my concern.

• Options
    JimmyV said:

badbrains said:

I'm not worried about true Muslims. Despite all their bullshit rhetoric true Muslims are not what these too were. I worry about other misguided youths who are full of rage and looking for any excuse to let it out. To them Dzhokar could become a martyr. That's my concern.

So I say don't kill him not because he will be portrayed as a martyr but because we should be better than what they do.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    callen said:

JimmyV said:

badbrains said:

So I say don't kill him not because he will be portrayed as a martyr but because we should be better than what they do.
    We are "better than what they do." He has received a fair trial and will be allowed every legal appeal. He has had a defense provided to him. He has been fed, clothed, housed, and protected. If he receives the death penalty and that sentence is carried out, by the very nature of the process, we will "be better than what they do."

• Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    Should this jury be taking this long?
  • Options

Should this jury be taking this long?

I didn't think so at first but they have to vote on 30+ separate charges. Read each one, consider each one, vote on each one. That's what is taking so long I think.

• Options
    The jury questionnaire as released by the New York Times shows what is taking so long. Twelve people need to vote on each one of these charges and answer the subsequent questions.

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/1725889-jury-verdict-form-in-boston-bombing-trial.html?smid=tw-nytnational

Plus...they have listened to all this testimony and legally not been allowed to discuss it with anyone before now. I'm sure some probably have, but with the restrictions removed many might have a lot to say.

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    And don't forget, each charge had to be carefully considered. Not doing so would open the door to unnecessary appeals.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    JimmyV said:

callen said:

JimmyV said:

badbrains said:

We are "better than what they do." He has received a fair trial and will be allowed every legal appeal. He has had a defense provided to him. He has been fed, clothed, housed, and protected. If he receives the death penalty and that sentence is carried out, by the very nature of the process, we will "be better than what they do."

We are executing. Don't see this as being better, trail or not but understand our differences.
  • Options
    edited April 2015

• Options

• Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    I forgot that there were 30+ charges.
  • Options
    Dirtie_FrankDirtie_Frank Posts: 1,348
    GUILTY!!!
    96 Randall's Island II
    98 CAA
    00 Virginia Beach;Camden I; Jones Beach III
    05 Borgata Night I; Wachovia Center
    06 Letterman Show; Webcast (guy in blue shirt), Camden I; DC
    08 Camden I; Camden II; DC
    09 Phillie III
    10 MSG II
    13 Wrigley Field
    16 Phillie II
  • Options
    The first ten charges all carry a potential death penalty sentence. Guilty on all ten.

• Options
    edited April 2015
    Post edited by JimmyV on

• Options
    Not surprising but still wow-worthy.

Well-done, jury. Hope they get a deserved rest.
  • Options
    Trying to process the comments of his mother.
  • Options
    hedonist said:

The mother is interesting. She was very vocal after the attacks but had gone quiet since. In a way I understand where she is coming from because what parent would want to believe their children could do something like this? And the death of the older brother's friend in Florida is suspicious to say the least.

What's interesting is that she has spoken up now when sentencing is about to happen. The defense is going to push hard that the home life of these two was crazy and damaging. Her rhetoric helps that case.

• Options
    JimmyV said:

hedonist said:

The mother is interesting. She was very vocal after the attacks but had gone quiet since. In a way I understand where she is coming from because what parent would want to believe their children could do something like this? And the death of the older brother's friend in Florida is suspicious to say the least.

What's interesting is that she has spoken up now when sentencing is about to happen. The defense is going to push hard that the home life of these two was crazy and damaging. Her rhetoric helps that case.

The last part of your post hadn't even occurred to me and makes sense.

Will say though, that over the years I've seen many parents of those who've committed awful crimes acknowledging their children's guilt but still standing by them, not backing down on their love for them. That I completely understand...but the denial?

It just may make a difference.

• Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    JimmyV said:

hedonist said:

I think the defense has a much better option then to rally against home life to spare this guy's life. The better option would be to go after is that he was brainwashed ... but I don't think whats-his-name will allow that option because he seems to be down with the movement, as is the mother.

But what no one has really covered is that there are some major sociopathic tendencies in this guy. He set bombs off that put the city on lock-down and then just went back to campus, worked out and the gym, smoked some reefer, and did a little partying and seemed pretty chill. He even did a LOL when a friend sent a text saying he looked like the bomber. I don't care what your cause is, that is pretty fucked up.

Oh well. He's been convicted. LOL.
  • Options
    Sentencing phase to begin next Tuesday and is expected to last four weeks. Jurors instructed not to watch or attend the marathon which is coming on Monday.