Boston Marathon - explosion

Comments

• unsung wrote:
    This guy was captured because a guy noticed his boat was disturbed, not because of the military forcing people out of their homes at gunpoint. Once again, you don't sacrifice liberty for security.

correct, that is how he was captured. and why was that? do you honestly believe with 100% certainty that it would have gone down like that had the city been business as usual? the guy probably never would have hid in the boat in the first place had there been thousands of other people in the streets and in malls, etc.

I understand your fear of a tyrannical US government, but I prefer to surrender my ever-so-precious cuticle scissors before boarding a plane rather than letting someone with a bomb get on board. So people like YOU can remain safe.

people with your type of mindset have odd priorities in my opinion.

I have nothing to hide, so I have nothing to fear. Cop checking my ID on the street when I've been doing nothing wrong. No problem officer, here you go. Annoying, perhaps. Makes me feel secure where I am/live, absolutely.

People get all up in arms about security cameras everywhere. Why is that? I don't give a shit if some rent-a-cop catches me on film scratching my ass if it means he might also catch the scum who just robbed that little old lady down the street, or better yet, PREVENTED that little old lady from getting robbed in the first place.

Yeah, yeah, I get it, it's a slippery slope to some, that one day we might have routine cavity checks in the line at McDonald's, but until we get there, I'm not personally too worried about it all. Minor inconveniences for major peace of mind.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,888
    vant0037 wrote:
    I hear what you are getting at, but I think the message is misplaced. If everyone was saying that stuff about some of the people in that post that depicted all the images of the guy with the bag, the lonely looking guy with the backpack, and the other two 'suspicious' looking guys... then your message would be more timely.

People weren't saying those barbaric comments for any of those people despite the suspicion naturally raised by the photographs. In my opinion, people actually did a really good job of waiting before throwing their rocks given what seemed a fairly legitimate expose of possible bombers.

Given the intital evidence that has been presented such as: eyewitness testimony from one of the higher profile victims; damning photographs; and his conduct just prior to being arrested... I'm convinced this idiot is guilty and so are you. We're all relieved and we're all angry. The sentiments expressed are all fair given the unfair behaviour exhibited by the ghouls.

The people, such as myself, that wish the worst for this asshole care very much for humanity. They aren't as simple as you 'kind of' suggest. You have a legal background and you have bought into many of the legal philosophies that others, such as myself, haven't. This fact doesn't make yours or my opinion better than the other- it just makes them different. If these assholes had not tried to kill hundreds of innocent people- an absolute betrayal to mankind- I would be hoping for the best for them. Given what they have done... the living brother can eat shit sandwiches and die. The dead one can rot.

My point wasn't about whether the conclusions people are reaching are helpful or healthy or correct. It's the fact that an accused, no matter how guilty he looks, is tried, condemned and convicted without so much as a charge, an arraignment, a lawyer, a trial and a jury.

Yes, he's very likely the guilty piece of shit we want him to be and think he is. His actions, along with the photographs and televised evidence certainly make it seem that way. That doesn't mean we should dispense with the normal processes for dealing with piece of shit murderers, and the concern - when reading the things people wish to do to an accused before he's even been charged is that sooner or later, those same sentiments are aroused in people with the power to deny those processes. Mob mentality is very scary indeed.
    I tend to agree with you vant. The blood lust I've seen here is disturbing to me. I feel very strongly that the good people of any nation should rise above the violence committed by their criminals, and the calls for violence and even torture against this un-tried 19 year old, even though he is surely guilty, has bothered me a lot. We should all strive to be better than that in our souls, not equal to it. "An eye for an eye" is one of my least favorite quotes from the bible.
    I was watching the news when he was captured, and when I saw everyone come out onto the streets and applaud the cops and everyone, I thought, 'well that's pretty cool." But when it morphed into college kids getting drunk and partying and hooting and hollering and laughing in the face of this terrible tragedy, in the faces of this guy's suffering and shocked FAMILY and friends, cheering the fact that he was covered in blood, I thought, " oh fuck, that is some macabre shit." And I had to turn off the TV. I don't like seeing good-minded people sink to that sick level en masse. It scares me and makes me worry about what that gang mentality could lead to under the right circumstances.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,123
    unsung wrote:

can you please answer the question if you are going to keep harping on this:

what in your opinion should/could have been done differently to achieve the same result?

This guy was captured because a guy noticed his boat was disturbed, not because of the military forcing people out of their homes at gunpoint. Once again, you don't sacrifice liberty for security.

Thank you for the completely original Ben Franklin quote, but once again you did not answer the question.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    I was watching the news when he was captured, and when I saw everyone come out onto the streets and applaud the cops and everyone, I thought, 'well that's pretty cool." But when it morphed into college kids getting drunk and partying and hooting and hollering and laughing in the face of this terrible tragedy, in the faces of this guy's suffering and shocked FAMILY and friends, cheering the fact that he was covered in blood, I thought, " oh fuck, that is some macabre shit." And I had to turn off the TV. I don't like seeing good-minded people sink to that sick level en masse. It scares me and makes me worry about what that gang mentality could lead to under the right circumstances.

I personally did not see any of that but I am sure it did happen. I don't know how representative it is of the population as a whole, though. College kids never need much of an excuse to turn something into a party, particularly on a Friday night.

• lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    It's a pretty slippery slope when the police start barging in home or homes without probable cause or a warrant. I do not want the police entering my home just because they think someone is in the area. I also don't want to be told by the police that I am under lock down. I will take my chances. That should be my choice. If they use this incident to violate citizens rights, where does it end? It won't ... In my opinion.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
    JimmyV wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:

I personally did not see any of that but I am sure it did happen. I don't know how representative it is of the population as a whole, though. College kids never need much of an excuse to turn something into a party, particularly on a Friday night.
    Well, adults were doing it too elsewhere... they just didn't seem drunk. Which I guess is even worse.

In any case, there isn't much to celebrate. This whole thing is a big reminder of the radical Islamic threat to all of us - I consider it one of the most serious issues in the world today, and one that anyone is completely unable to change or fix. It's bad news all around.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    JimmyV wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:

Well, adults were doing it too elsewhere... they just didn't seem drunk. Which I guess is even worse.

In any case, there isn't much to celebrate. This whole thing is a big reminder of the radical Islamic threat to all of us - I consider it one of the most serious issues in the world today, and one that anyone is completely unable to change or fix. It's bad news all around.

True, the threat is still very real. I have seen people suggest that if we simply do this or the government simply does that then the threat will be gone, that we will not be hated anymore. I just don't believe it. I don't think the threat is going away in any of our lifetimes.

• PJ_Soul wrote:
    I tend to agree with you vant. The blood lust I've seen here is disturbing to me. I feel very strongly that the good people of any nation should rise above the violence committed by their criminals, and the calls for violence and even torture against this un-tried 19 year old, even though he is surely guilty, has bothered me a lot. We should all strive to be better than that in our souls, not equal to it. "An eye for an eye" is one of my least favorite quotes from the bible.

Maybe we should post a picture of the bombers as two 'victims' of violence on the Fenway big screen as well then, huh?

It's pretty normal for people to feel good about capturing a homicidal maniac. I think it's weird to display (what is perceived as) compassion for such an abomination.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • vant0037vant0037 Posts: 6,108
    Maybe we should post a picture of the bombers as two 'victims' of violence on the Fenway big screen as well then, huh?

It's pretty normal for people to feel good about capturing a homicidal maniac. I think it's weird to display (what is perceived as) compassion for such an abomination.

That's not what any one has suggested here and I think you know that. People feeling good about capturing a murderer or terrorist is one thing; condemning, punishing, wishing violence upon before guilt has been proven is a whole other scenario, one that many people (myself included) rightly fear. It has nothing to do with thinking this guy's a victim of violence and everything to do with making sure due process isn't thrown away in the rush to judge one guy, however appropriate the ultimate judgment might be.
    1998-06-30 Minneapolis
    2003-06-16 St. Paul
    2006-06-26 St. Paul
    2007-08-05 Chicago
    2009-08-23 Chicago
    2009-08-28 San Francisco
    2010-05-01 NOLA (Jazz Fest)
    2011-07-02 EV Minneapolis
    2011-09-03 PJ20
    2011-09-04 PJ20
    2011-09-17 Winnipeg
    2012-06-26 Amsterdam
    2012-06-27 Amsterdam
    2013-07-19 Wrigley
    2013-11-21 San Diego
    2013-11-23 Los Angeles
    2013-11-24 Los Angeles
    2014-07-08 Leeds, UK
    2014-07-11 Milton Keynes, UK
    2014-10-09 Lincoln
    2014-10-19 St. Paul
    2014-10-20 Milwaukee
    2016-08-20 Wrigley 1
    2016-08-22 Wrigley 2
    2018-06-18 London 1
    2018-08-18 Wrigley 1
    2018-08-20 Wrigley 2
    2022-09-16 Nashville
    2023-08-31 St. Paul
    2023-09-02 St. Paul
    2023-09-05 Chicago 1
    2023-08-31 Wrigley 2
    2023-09-15 Fenway 1
  • vant0037vant0037 Posts: 6,108
    On a side note, I think the idea that all the bluster against the guy (i.e. hoping he eats shit or denying him medical care etc) is just "blowing off steam" is fine and great, but do you doubt that the same emotion and rashness seen in this thread at times is also exactly what a likely majority are feeling right now? Whether that passion is justified or not (certainly, it is), it is our institutions and our processes that insulate even the most guilty from the pitchforks and torches. I'm not convinced that most average people, unlike some of the good people in this thread, will be able to check themselves when they find that maybe "blowing off steam" was actually part of a deeper wish to forego our hardwon Constitutional protections and simply string the guy up.

In short, let's not lose our heads and our protections for one guy.
    1998-06-30 Minneapolis
    2003-06-16 St. Paul
    2006-06-26 St. Paul
    2007-08-05 Chicago
    2009-08-23 Chicago
    2009-08-28 San Francisco
    2010-05-01 NOLA (Jazz Fest)
    2011-07-02 EV Minneapolis
    2011-09-03 PJ20
    2011-09-04 PJ20
    2011-09-17 Winnipeg
    2012-06-26 Amsterdam
    2012-06-27 Amsterdam
    2013-07-19 Wrigley
    2013-11-21 San Diego
    2013-11-23 Los Angeles
    2013-11-24 Los Angeles
    2014-07-08 Leeds, UK
    2014-07-11 Milton Keynes, UK
    2014-10-09 Lincoln
    2014-10-19 St. Paul
    2014-10-20 Milwaukee
    2016-08-20 Wrigley 1
    2016-08-22 Wrigley 2
    2018-06-18 London 1
    2018-08-18 Wrigley 1
    2018-08-20 Wrigley 2
    2022-09-16 Nashville
    2023-08-31 St. Paul
    2023-09-02 St. Paul
    2023-09-05 Chicago 1
    2023-08-31 Wrigley 2
    2023-09-15 Fenway 1
  • vant0037 wrote:

That's not what any one has suggested here and I think you know that. People feeling good about capturing a murderer or terrorist is one thing; condemning, punishing, wishing violence upon before guilt has been proven is a whole other scenario, one that many people (myself included) rightly fear. It has nothing to do with thinking this guy's a victim of violence and everything to do with making sure due process isn't thrown away in the rush to judge one guy, however appropriate the ultimate judgment might be.

And I think you know that most of the stuff written about shit sandwiches, cutting nuts off' and some other stuff is internet 'tough talk'. I'm pretty sure the level of authenticity for some of the 'gruesome' stuff is nothing more than an expression for the outrage people feel for the crime and the criminals.

Let's not make this out to be anything more than what it is. This is about two assholes who committed a horrific crime. Regardless of what anything anybody says on this forum... I don't get the impression anyone here is going to hurt anyone anytime soon. We are more alike than different.

• Maybe we should post a picture of the bombers as two 'victims' of violence on the Fenway big screen as well then, huh?

it's not compassion for any one person/murderer/terrorist. it's respect for due process. if you are all for angry mobs turning on someone (guilty or not) and beating the shit out of the guy and tearing him apart in the name of justice, isn't that EXACTLY what happens in countries that we abhor?
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • vant0037 wrote:

And I think you know that most of the stuff written about shit sandwiches, cutting nuts off' and some other stuff is internet 'tough talk'. I'm pretty sure the level of authenticity for some of the 'gruesome' stuff is nothing more than an expression for the outrage people feel for the crime and the criminals.

Let's not make this out to be anything more than what it is. This is about two assholes who committed a horrific crime. Regardless of what anything anybody says on this forum... I don't get the impression anyone here is going to hurt anyone anytime soon. We are more alike than different.

if you believe that, then why do you argue against it?
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
    PJ_Soul wrote:

I don't consider the bombers victims at all. Not for a second. That has nothing to do with what I'm talking about.
    Yes, apparently it is "normal" to celebrate violence and bloodshed. How sinister. How disappointing.
  • JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    tori snelgrove wasnt applauding the cops or the mayor, she was thinking..."if boston is so strong why did they hide in their houses for 2 days like wussies, afraid of some 19 year old punk" i took a shot in the face from bostons finest like a women, i battled for 12 hours but finally succumb to the fractured orbital bones lodged in my brain.
    get real!!!
    go sox!!!
    JC29856 wrote:
    tori snelgrove wasnt applauding the cops or the mayor, she was thinking..."if boston is so strong why did they hide in their houses for 2 days like wussies, afraid of some 19 year old punk" i took a shot in the face from bostons finest like a women, i battled for 12 hours but finally succumb to the fractured orbital bones lodged in my brain.
    get real!!!
    go sox!!!

This was in very bad taste. That poor girl has been dead for nine years. She deserves better than having someone put words in her mouth to advance their political agenda.

• BentleyspopBentleyspop Posts: 10,663
    JC29856 wrote:
    get real!!!
    go sox!!!

:nono: IBTL :nono:
  • unsungunsung Posts: 9,487
    unsung wrote:
    Once again, you don't sacrifice liberty for security.
    you can not have liberty if you do not ensure safety first..

Thankfully the Founding Father's of this great country did not think that way.
  • if you believe that, then why do you argue against it?

Not following you here. What do you mean?
    Death toll may still rise...

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massac ... story.html

CAMBRIDGE, Mass. (AP) — Doctors say the Boston transit police officer wounded in a shootout with the marathon bombing suspects had lost nearly all his blood and his heart had stopped from a single gunshot wound that severed three major blood vessels in his right thigh.

Surgeons at Mount Auburn Hospital in Cambridge say 33-year-old Richard Donohue is in stable but critical condition. He is sedated and on a breathing machine but opened his eyes, moved his hands and feet and squeezed his wife’s hand Sunday.

Emergency workers started CPR on the scene to restart his heart. Doctors say he is expected to make a full recovery and that nerves and muscles in his leg are intact.

Transit officials say Donohue had gotten out of his cruiser and was shooting at the suspects when he was hit late Thursday night in a gunbattle in Cambridge.

‘‘He went in there and engaged people who were shooting at his fellow officers,’’ Donohue’s brother, Edward, said at a news conference Sunday at the hospital. ‘‘I cannot describe the pride I have,’’ said the younger Donohue, who is a patrolman for the Winchester Police Department.

The fellow officers included a friend, MIT police officer Sean Collier, who died in the shootout.

Richard Donohue has been a transit officer for three years, said Paul MacMillan, chief of the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority.

The bullet wound did not injure bone but severed the femoral vein and both branches of the femoral artery in Richard Donohue’s right thigh, doctors said.

‘‘The officer’s blood volume was almost entirely lost to the point of the heart stopping,’’ said Dr. Russell Nauta, chairman of surgery at Mount Auburn. It was a 45-minute effort to get it beating again, he said.

Doctors say Donohue’s prognosis is good, and family members expect his sense of humor to return.

‘‘His wife said: ‘We'll never live this down. He'll never have to make himself another sandwich,'’’ the brother said.

Richard Donohue’s wife, Kim; 6-month-old son, Reggie; father; sister; grandmother and others were with him at the hospital.

• Maybe we should post a picture of the bombers as two 'victims' of violence on the Fenway big screen as well then, huh?

it's not compassion for any one person/murderer/terrorist. it's respect for due process. if you are all for angry mobs turning on someone (guilty or not) and beating the shit out of the guy and tearing him apart in the name of justice, isn't that EXACTLY what happens in countries that we abhor?

This is an exaggeration to say the least. Due process has occured and is occurring as far as we know- except in Unsung's eyes. The wingnut is in a hospital- the same one as all his victims by the way- and is receiving top notch care. When he comes around... he'll have a team of state paid lawyers drum up some form of defence and he'll go through the court system and have his day.

What are you arguing about? The bone of contention on here lately is a bunch of limp wrists suggesting that it is cruel to wish harm upon a guy that placed a fucking bomb, in the middle of a crowded street full of innocent people, and let it blow.

There's a group of people that think we should "take the higher road"... and there's a group of people that think that fucking guy should die. Some have expressed some 'imaginative' ways for him to go. I think he should die and you don't. Fair enough. You don't go on about how barbaric I am and I won't go on about how soft you are. We've done this dance before. We don't need to do it again.
  • if you believe that, then why do you argue against it?

Not following you here. What do you mean?

you were saying that most of what is being said about the bombers with regards to hoping he gets the shit beat out of him et al is all just big internet talk. if you really believe that, then why are you arguing against those who don't go out of their way to wish harm on the guy outside of justice?
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014

This is an exaggeration to say the least. Due process has occured and is occurring as far as we know- except in Unsung's eyes. The wingnut is in a hospital- the same one as all his victims by the way- and is receiving top notch care. When he comes around... he'll have a team of state paid lawyers drum up some form of defence and he'll go through the court system and have his day.

What are you arguing about? The bone of contention on here lately is a bunch of limp wrists suggesting that it is cruel to wish harm upon a guy that placed a fucking bomb, in the middle of a crowded street full of innocent people, and let it blow.

There's a group of people that think we should "take the higher road"... and there's a group of people that think that fucking guy should die. Some have expressed some 'imaginative' ways for him to go. I think he should die and you don't. Fair enough. You don't go on about how barbaric I am and I won't go on about how soft you are. We've done this dance before. We don't need to do it again.

it's funny that you call my assessment exaggeration when I was responding to your post about posting the guy's picture on the big screen as a victim. yeah, I'M the one exaggerating. :roll:

one paragraph before you ask us both to stop calling each other soft and barbaric you call me a limp wrist. fine, I'll let you get your last word in. I hope it makes you feel better.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • PJ_Soul wrote:
    I don't consider the bombers victims at all. Not for a second. That has nothing to do with what I'm talking about.
    Yes, apparently it is "normal" to celebrate violence and bloodshed. How sinister. How disappointing.

You are out in left field. Nobody is celebrating anything here. People are pissed off- and rightfully so- that a couple of maniacs bombed a city street full of innocents. Their eagerness for vengeance speaks to the level of their disgust and horror from the act.

You say differently... but your comments tend to lend empathy towards those two freaks. As mentioned in my post to Hugh... due process is occurring (medical and legal). So... this argument isn't about that... it's about how we should feel towards those two ghouls. You think people are 'sinister' for wishing suffering for that prick; therefore, one is left to assume you think we should be compassionate towards him. How disappointing.
  • rearviewrossrearviewross Posts: 3,055
    One thing I have learned over the years of political arguing is you will never convince anyone that they are wrong. Save your energy.
    Forced to endure, what I cannot forgive.
  • PJ_Soul wrote:

You are out in left field. Nobody is celebrating anything here. People are pissed off- and rightfully so- that a couple of maniacs bombed a city street full of innocents. Their eagerness for vengeance speaks to the level of their disgust and horror from the act.

You say differently... but your comments tend to lend empathy towards those two freaks. As mentioned in my post to Hugh... due process is occurring (medical and legal). So... this argument isn't about that... it's about how we should feel towards those two ghouls. You think people are 'sinister' for wishing suffering for that prick; therefore, one is left to assume you think we should be compassionate towards him. How disappointing.

so the only two emotions that exist are sinister and compassionate? :roll:
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • it's funny that you call my assessment exaggeration when I was responding to your post about posting the guy's picture on the big screen as a victim. yeah, I'M the one exaggerating. :roll:

one paragraph before you ask us both to stop calling each other soft and barbaric you call me a limp wrist. fine, I'll let you get your last word in. I hope it makes you feel better.

I responded to a post that seemed to suggest these two assholes were humans too and needed us to respond to their act with a level of dignity befit for a human being. I wasn't really down for that and I responded in kind.

People have made a string of unflattering posts describing people who seek a different level of justice than their idea of justice as a bunch of blood thirsty, mindless, hooligans with pitchforks ready to tear the asshole apart. I'm sorry to have rebutted with some terms I deem pretty fair given the field of play (name calling).

I tried to suggest you are entitled to your opinion on what justice might look like for you. I don't hold anything against you for it, but I have my idea as well. I get my back up a bit when someone tries to paint me as some gorilla dragging my knuckles with no capacity for divine thought when my idea isn't the same as theirs.
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,331
    unsung wrote:
    Nothing was done unconstitutional. Unless the police forced themselves into the homes. There have been no reports of that. Everything was done legally

Doesn't exactly look voluntary, does it?

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=2be_1366536241

I'm 100% with you on this. How anyone can excuse having their rights thrown out the window because others are scared is complete bullshit.
  • PJ_Soul wrote:

so the only two emotions that exist are sinister and compassionate? :roll:

There are several of course. I made my point using two- and being sure to include one that was suggested in the post I responded to if you cared to look.

I noticed you haven't spoken to the notion I have put forth that this argument has morphed into one of ideologies. Rearviewross has caught this mentioning in an earlier post, "One thing I have learned over the years of political arguing is you will never convince anyone that they are wrong. Save your energy."

This is maybe the third time I have offered you an olive branch. We are not going to agree on this subject. I have not waivered one bit that this asshole needs death (I wouldn`t even have a problem with a painful one). You are never going to be where I am. We can either accept this fundamental difference in our value sets and appreciate what we do have in common or we can go in circles.

A bunch of limp wrists??? :?