Boston Marathon - explosion

Comments

• chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    JimmyV wrote:
    Death toll may still rise...

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massac ... story.html

CAMBRIDGE, Mass. (AP) — Doctors say the Boston transit police officer wounded in a shootout with the marathon bombing suspects had lost nearly all his blood and his heart had stopped from a single gunshot wound that severed three major blood vessels in his right thigh.

Surgeons at Mount Auburn Hospital in Cambridge say 33-year-old Richard Donohue is in stable but critical condition. He is sedated and on a breathing machine but opened his eyes, moved his hands and feet and squeezed his wife’s hand Sunday.

Emergency workers started CPR on the scene to restart his heart. Doctors say he is expected to make a full recovery and that nerves and muscles in his leg are intact.

Transit officials say Donohue had gotten out of his cruiser and was shooting at the suspects when he was hit late Thursday night in a gunbattle in Cambridge.

‘‘He went in there and engaged people who were shooting at his fellow officers,’’ Donohue’s brother, Edward, said at a news conference Sunday at the hospital. ‘‘I cannot describe the pride I have,’’ said the younger Donohue, who is a patrolman for the Winchester Police Department.

The fellow officers included a friend, MIT police officer Sean Collier, who died in the shootout.

Richard Donohue has been a transit officer for three years, said Paul MacMillan, chief of the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority.

The bullet wound did not injure bone but severed the femoral vein and both branches of the femoral artery in Richard Donohue’s right thigh, doctors said.

‘‘The officer’s blood volume was almost entirely lost to the point of the heart stopping,’’ said Dr. Russell Nauta, chairman of surgery at Mount Auburn. It was a 45-minute effort to get it beating again, he said.

Doctors say Donohue’s prognosis is good, and family members expect his sense of humor to return.

‘‘His wife said: ‘We'll never live this down. He'll never have to make himself another sandwich,'’’ the brother said.

Richard Donohue’s wife, Kim; 6-month-old son, Reggie; father; sister; grandmother and others were with him at the hospital.
    fuckin-a, Richard Donohue
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • PJ_Soul wrote:
    A bunch of limp wrists??? :?

Weaklings.

It was a 'stone' I threw back at you when you made me feel defensive after calling down my value system and suggesting people like me were sinister and a disappointment.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • dignin wrote:
    unsung wrote:
    Nothing was done unconstitutional. Unless the police forced themselves into the homes. There have been no reports of that. Everything was done legally

Doesn't exactly look voluntary, does it?

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=2be_1366536241

I'm 100% with you on this. How anyone can excuse having their rights thrown out the window because others are scared is complete bullshit.

I'm trying to make sense of this video. The police must have had some reason for approaching the house the way they did. I'm sure this wasn't the common methodology practiced throughout the manhunt.

One thing I can say for certain is, thank gawd nobody in the house had weaponry and feared a tyrannical government. This could have gone badly. As it stands now... all is good.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,888
    edited April 2013
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    I don't consider the bombers victims at all. Not for a second. That has nothing to do with what I'm talking about.
    Yes, apparently it is "normal" to celebrate violence and bloodshed. How sinister. How disappointing.

You are out in left field. Nobody is celebrating anything here. People are pissed off- and rightfully so- that a couple of maniacs bombed a city street full of innocents. Their eagerness for vengeance speaks to the level of their disgust and horror from the act.

You say differently... but your comments tend to lend empathy towards those two freaks. As mentioned in my post to Hugh... due process is occurring (medical and legal). So... this argument isn't about that... it's about how we should feel towards those two ghouls. You think people are 'sinister' for wishing suffering for that prick; therefore, one is left to assume you think we should be compassionate towards him. How disappointing.
    I have ZERO compassion for them and I do not know why you keep going back to that, because I've said nothing at all to suggest it. I also never said a word about compassion. So I am directly telling that what I'm trying to say has nothing to do with either of things. At all. Does that clear things up for you? However, I do feel compassion for any of the good people who cared about these terrorists and are totally shocked about what they did. What a nightmare for them.
    I completely disagree with you that people were not celebrating here. Some were, and calling for further violence too. But I'm not just talking about people n this thread. I was talking about a lot of people I saw on the news, what I've read elsewhere online, etc. And it's a matter of TASTE. I find it just uncouth, tacky, and gruesome to party about this (especially given that he has stunned and hurt friends and family and also given that there are sfu ming people missing limbs in the hospital, who I am sure have no sense of humor about how bloody the guy was when pulled out of that boat). For me, nasty wishes for torture like i read here and on twitter, is viscious, and it bothers me. And partying while victims suffer and while cops wash the accused's blood off their hands and mourn the death of one of their own is sinister and in ultimate bad taste and it's sinking to a lower level. Feeling compassion for the terrorists does not factor in at all. I don't believe that actions in good taste and staying solemn in solemn times is wimpy. That's stupid that you're saying that.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    also no one of us are celebrity. if I can speak for others I shall. the maniac is being treated like a regular patient at a hospital. what crawled up some of you people's rear ends? these pricks blew up two bombs, planted seven other bombs around the city, threw bombs at the cops, shot & murdered a cop, blew ppl up, had several shootouts with the police, eluded the lawmen chasing them, terrorized a city & a nation's people, cost Massachusetts probably half a billion dollars by the time it's over. $330 million per day as the city shuts down.

what do you want? what is wrong with people bullshitting about this sick frickin jerkoff? if he was all of a sudden tortured & thrown off a bridge I wouldn't give a shit. I actually would like it if he dies after snitching

the quicker he goes the more time & money Massachusetts can spend elsewhere. Ben Franklin he don't like no terrorists. fuck no. Ben wants money for better street lights, swimming pools & modern ass libraries & the latest advanced fuel economy buses for the city & better parking at museums

fuck no... some bombers wanna fuck around causing suffering & chaos. holy shit !!!! theydidn't read him his Miranda rights!!!! frig me

they had people leave their own houses hands on heads walking corralled down the sidewalk searching houses..... so what !!!! they are looking for a crazy little bastrd w/ bombs & guns who just enjoys blowing ppl up & shooting cops & terrorizing a city

do not search any homes...never tell a dude "hands on your fucking head, get the fuck outside to the next officer" "we're searchin this frickin place lookin for mr. little bomber" "don't like it, tough shit"

maybe the bomber hung out at that house every once in awhile? not every home was searched in that fashion

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Thirty Bills UnpaidThirty Bills Unpaid Posts: 16,881
    edited April 2013
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    I have ZERO compassion for them and I do not know why you keep going back to that, because I've said nothing at all to suggest it. I also never said a word about compassion. So I am directly telling that what I'm trying to say has nothing to do with either of things. At all. Does that clear things up for you? However, I do feel compassion for any of the good people who cared about these terrorists and are totally shocked about what they did. What a nightmare for them.
    I com plenty disagree with you that people were not celebrating here. Some were, and calling for further violence too. But I'm not just talking about people n this thread. I was talking about a lot of people I saw on the news, what I've read elsewhere online, etc. And it's a matter of TASTE. I find it just uncouth, tacky, and gruesome to party about this (especially given that he has stunned and hurt friends and family and also given that there are sfu ming people missing limbs in the hospital, who I am sure have no sense of humor about how bloody the guy was when pulled out of that boat). For me, nasty wishes for torture like i read here and on twitter, is viscious, and it bothers me. And partying while victims suffer and while cops wash the accused's blood off their hands and mourn the death of one of their own is sinister and in ultimate bad taste and it's sinking to a lower level. Feeling compassion for the terrorists does not factor in at all. I don't believe that actions in good taste and staying solemn in solemn times is wimpy. That's stupid that you're saying that.

1. I feel badly for the family members as well. They will live the rest of their lives in shame (for lack of a better way to put it).
    2. You are a good person for feeling this way.
    3. I don't think staying solemn in solemn times is a bad thing at all. I don't think wanting death as an appropriate form of justice is a bad thing either. Nobody asked for this to happen and seeing as it has happened... we'll all have to digest it as we are hardwired to do.

* It is fair to suggest that there are some (if not... all) survivors of the bomb blast wish the worse for this young man. Are only these people eligible to hold such hatred for the man? Can others share the same level of anger and hatred?
    Post edited by Thirty Bills Unpaid on
    chadwick wrote:
    also no one of us are celebrity. if I can speak for others I shall. the maniac is being treated like a regular patient at a hospital. what crawled up some of you people's rear ends? these pricks blew up two bombs, planted seven other bombs are the city, threw bombs at the cops, shot & murdered a cop, blew ppl up, had several shootouts with the police, eluded the lawmen chasing them, terrorized a city & a nation's people, cost Massachusetts probably half a billion dollars by the time it's over. $330 million per day as the city shuts down.

what do you want? what is wrong with people bullshitting about this sick frickin jerkoff? if he was all of a sudden tortured & thrown off a bridge I wouldn't give a shit. I actually would like it if he dies after snitching

the quicker he goes the more time & money Massachusetts can spend elsewhere. Ben Franklin he don't like no terrorists. fuck no. Ben wants money for better street lights, swimming pools & modern ass libraries & the latest advanced fuel economy buses for the city & better parking at museums

fuck no... some bombers wanna fuck around causing suffering & chaos. holy shit !!!! theydidn't read him his Miranda rights!!!! frig me

they had people leave their own houses hands on heads walking corralled down the sidewalk searching houses..... so what !!!! they are looking for a crazy little bastrd w/ bombs & guns who just enjoys blowing ppl up & shooting cops & terrorizing a city

do not search any homes...never tell a dude "hands on your fucking head, get the fuck outside to the next officer" "we're searchin this frickin place lookin for mr. little bomber" "don't like it, tough shit"

maybe the bomber hung out at that house every once in awhile? not every home was searched in that fashion
    I do agree that this shit about the lock down being unconstitutional is fucming outrageous and ridiculous (unsung seems to think that if anyone decided to leave their house they'd be dragged behind a shed and shot in the head by authorities), and this whole debate about him being read his rights is boring crap and totally irrelevant.

The way the FBI let the older brother carry on given the warnings they clearly had is fucking brutal though. Disturbing that a guy who they've been warned about by the Russian government was even allowed to stay in the US or fly in and out of it like that. The FBI fucked up big time.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,123
    Whichever local station I was watching Friday morning had a close, clear, live shot of the searches as they happened. They were peaceful and orderly. Were there isolated examples that were not? I am sure there were, but every one of those people in the video are still alive tonight. With an armed terrorist on the loose in their neighborhood that story could very easily have ended differently.

I love Ben Franklin. My dog is named after Ben Franklin. But if a loyalist faction had attacked the continental congress he would not have blinked twice if some minutemen started knocking doors down looking for the attackers.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • PJ_Soul wrote:
    I do agree that this shit about the lock down being unconstitutional is fucming outrageous and ridiculous (unsung seems to think that if anyone decided to leave their house they'd be dragged behind a shed and shot in the head by authorities), and this whole debate about him being read his rights is boring crap and totally irrelevant.

The way the FBI let the older brother carry on given the warnings they clearly had is fucking brutal though. Disturbing that a guy who they've been warned about by the Russian government was even allowed to stay in the US or fly in and out of it like that. The FBI fucked up big time.

But think of how many people the FBI has with 'some' degree of suspicion. They are damned if they do and damned if they don't: they try to be proactive and people are angered and critical- citing the constitution and people's rights... they wait until something happens and people are angered and critical- complaining because they allowed it to happen.
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    I com plenty disagree with you that people were not celebrating here. Some were, and calling for further violence too. But I'm not just talking about people in this thread. I was talking about a lot of people I saw on the news, what I've read elsewhere online, etc. And it's a matter of TASTE. I find it just uncouth, tacky, and gruesome to party about this (especially given that he has stunned and hurt friends and family and also given that there are sfu ming people missing limbs in the hospital, who I am sure have no sense of humor about how bloody the guy was when pulled out of that boat). For me, nasty wishes for torture like i read here and on twitter, is viscious, and it bothers me. And partying while victims suffer and while cops wash the accused's blood off their hands and mourn the death of one of their own is sinister and in ultimate bad taste and it's sinking to a lower level. Feeling compassion for the terrorists does not factor in at all. I don't believe that actions in good taste and staying solemn in solemn times is wimpy. That's stupid that you're saying that.

1. I feel badly for the family members as well. They will live the rest of their lives in shame (for lack of a better way to put it).
    2. You are a good person for feeling this way.
    3. I don't think staying solemn in solemn times is a bad thing at all. I don't think wanting death as an appropriate form of justice is a bad thing either. Nobody asked for this to happen and seeing as it has happened... we'll all have to digest it as we are hardwired to do.

* Is it fair to suggest that there are some (if not... all) survivors of the bomb blast wish the worse for this young man. Are only these people eligible to hold such hatred for the man? Can others share the same level of anger and hatred?
    That post was generous of you Thirty Bills. Thanks.
    In can't speak for any of the victims of course (who knows, some of them might be those Christians who decide to forgive everyone, which boggles my mind a bit but it seem to be a common thing). But absolutely everyone has a right to be angry and to hate these guys. Not feeling that way would seem strange to me, actually. It's really just a matter of now those feelings are expressed. I was off-put by how they were (kind of in the same way I'm always off-put by the U-S-A chant - I always get a vivid picture is my mind of cartoon gorillas jumping around together and pounding their chests when I see/hear that damn chant. It's not the base sentiment that bugs me so much, since I know how very very nationalistic Americans are. It's the way it's expressed and how that makes it come across. A gutteral, animalistic impression during times when the idea is that Americans are rising above something. It seems like a contradiction to me).
  • JimmyV wrote:
    Whichever local station I was watching Friday morning had a close, clear, live shot of the searches as they happened. They were peaceful and orderly. Were there isolated examples that were not? I am sure there were, but every one of those people in the video are still alive tonight. With an armed terrorist on the loose in their neighborhood that story could very easily have ended differently.

I love Ben Franklin. My dog is named after Ben Franklin. But if a loyalist faction had attacked the continental congress he would not have blinked twice if some minutemen started knocking doors down looking for the attackers.

JimmyV...

In all the words exchanged on this forum... I have never said directly to you how badly I feel for all those harmed, your city and people such as yourself. I spent a small amount of time in Boston and plan on coming back. A great city with a great 'feel' to it. My family and I loved it there.

I appreciate your perspective from the inside that validates the difficult job the police had to do combined with the cooperation of the people there that allowed them to do it. This could have gone a lot worse.
    JimmyV wrote:

boston is extremely historical. you ppl are amazing for living in this city. boston kicks a lot of ass. the city is or was a nightmare to navigate a combination vehicale through.... wtf?

ben franklin would love the law enforcement of today's boston

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • PJ_Soul wrote:
    That post was generous of you Thirty Bills. Thanks.
    In can't speak for any of the victims of course (who knows, some of them might be those Christians who decide to forgive everyone, which boggles my mind a bit but it seem to be a common thing). But absolutely everyone has a right to be angry and to hate these guys. Not feeling that way would seem strange to me, actually. It's really just a matter of now those feelings are expressed. I was off-put by how they were (kind of in the same way I'm always off-put by the U-S-A chant - I always get a vivid picture is my mind of cartoon gorillas jumping around together and pounding their chests when I see/hear that damn chant. It's not the base sentiment that bugs me so much, since I know how very very nationalistic Americans are. It's the way it's expressed and how that makes it come across. A gutteral, animalistic impression during times when the idea is that Americans are rising above something. It seems like a contradiction to me).

I'll concede that- as in all aspects of life- there are some who make others like them appear foolish by their actions. I never saw the video of the scene you describe, but not having seen it... I guess I would suggest that we'll have to forgive them given what transpired. Let's not be too quick to judge those for how they have responded to what has been thrust upon them. There verly likely is an asshole or two among them... but there are good people as well likely overcome with emotions that might be very difficult to imagine from afar.

Of course... as always... I may be wrong with my line of thinking as well. I've been on this board for a fair bit now and I have to get off. Please excuse no responses for anything you might direct towards me from here on! Have a good one.
    goodnight, man

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • There are several of course. I made my point using two- and being sure to include one that was suggested in the post I responded to if you cared to look.

I noticed you haven't spoken to the notion I have put forth that this argument has morphed into one of ideologies. Rearviewross has caught this mentioning in an earlier post, "One thing I have learned over the years of political arguing is you will never convince anyone that they are wrong. Save your energy."

This is maybe the third time I have offered you an olive branch. We are not going to agree on this subject. I have not waivered one bit that this asshole needs death (I wouldn`t even have a problem with a painful one). You are never going to be where I am. We can either accept this fundamental difference in our value sets and appreciate what we do have in common or we can go in circles.

I don't come here trying to convince anyone of anything. I try to understand where they are coming from, and as usual, it turns into me defending myself against someone who slings shit at me for the way I think. And when I see people inciting violence with their hate speech, I tend to call them on it. This isn't private water cooler talk among co workers or friends. This is out for the world to see. In my eyes, it's irresponsible to talk the way you and others have talked in a public forum. You really could end up putting some fucked up ideas in the head of an impressionable mind that might take it seriously and think that these are options in the real world as opposed to fantasies of angry people.

You call it "venting on the internet", but you also have defended your ideas that this guy should be treated no better than a rabid dog. You can't backtrack after the shit that's been said and just call it "normal emotion". Do you really honestly believe this guy doesn't make me as angry as it does you, I just tend to react differently to these situations?
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Posts: 8,661
    dignin wrote:
    unsung wrote:
    Nothing was done unconstitutional. Unless the police forced themselves into the homes. There have been no reports of that. Everything was done legally

Doesn't exactly look voluntary, does it?

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=2be_1366536241

I'm 100% with you on this. How anyone can excuse having their rights thrown out the window because others are scared is complete bullshit.

I didn't see or hear of those reports until now. I don't agree with the police doing that. That is definitely a vilolation of the homeowners constitutional rights.
  • As mentioned in my post to Hugh... due process is occurring (medical and legal). So... this argument isn't about that...

wrong. that's where all this started. we know due process is happening for this guy. what bothers me is the folks that would wish it NOT happen and just drag him out into the street and shoot him.

you say this is all just big talk? ask chadwick. he (and I doubt he's the only one) actually MEANS the shit that he's saying. Believe me.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
    chadwick wrote:
    also no one of us are celebrity. if I can speak for others I shall. the maniac is being treated like a regular patient at a hospital. what crawled up some of you people's rear ends? these pricks blew up two bombs, planted seven other bombs around the city, threw bombs at the cops, shot & murdered a cop, blew ppl up, had several shootouts with the police, eluded the lawmen chasing them, terrorized a city & a nation's people, cost Massachusetts probably half a billion dollars by the time it's over. $330 million per day as the city shuts down.

I agree with everything you said. But the police must have a search warrant to search homes. To do it a gun point isn't right. I know they wanted to be cautious, but damn, if someone didn't want their home searched there would have been some real problems.
    As mentioned in my post to Hugh... due process is occurring (medical and legal). So... this argument isn't about that...

wrong. that's where all this started. we know due process is happening for this guy. what bothers me is the folks that would wish it NOT happen and just drag him out into the street and shoot him.

you say this is all just big talk? ask chadwick. he (and I doubt he's the only one) actually MEANS the shit that he's saying. Believe me.
    I won't speak for Chadwick, but me wanting the police to put the butt of his rifle in the guys nose while they were arresting him doesn't mean I don't want or respect due process.
  • I won't speak for Chadwick, but me wanting the police to put the butt of his rifle in the guys nose while they were arresting him doesn't mean I don't want or respect due process.

um, yeah, it kinda does, actually.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
    it is true, i mean exactly what i have said

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    why is it wrong to smack a bomber terrorist when capturing them?

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • unsungunsung Posts: 9,487
    PJ_Soul wrote:

They didn't screw up at all. I don't believe for one second these guys were acting alone, and neither should anyone else.
    chadwick wrote:
    why is it wrong to smack a bomber terrorist when capturing them?

Has he even been charged with a crime?

YOU are missing my point, I really don't care about this guy, however he is a US citizen and we have a CONSTITUTION that must be followed. Our courts usually get it right, no?
    military_zps4207e6d3.jpg

The police keeping us safe, just don't take any pictures.
    JimmyV wrote:

JimmyV...

In all the words exchanged on this forum... I have never said directly to you how badly I feel for all those harmed, your city and people such as yourself. I spent a small amount of time in Boston and plan on coming back. A great city with a great 'feel' to it. My family and I loved it there.

I appreciate your perspective from the inside that validates the difficult job the police had to do combined with the cooperation of the people there that allowed them to do it. This could have gone a lot worse.

Thank you. Support from fellow club members has helped me quite a bit this past week.

Just watched the Boston PD Chief get interviewed, wow is this guy full of contradictions and lies. Seriously I can't believe people fall for this.
    chadwick wrote:
    JimmyV wrote:

boston is extremely historical. you ppl are amazing for living in this city. boston kicks a lot of ass. the city is or was a nightmare to navigate a combination vehicale through.... wtf?

:lol: I do often feel compassion for the truck drivers I see trying to navigate their way through the city. It was not designed with them in mind.

chadwick wrote:

I think I just threw up.
    unsung wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:

They didn't screw up at all. I don't believe for one second these guys were acting alone, and neither should anyone else.
    Not sure what them not acting alone has to do with the FBI letting someone like that, with the warning signs they had, go unmonitored (I'm actually surprised he was even allowed to stay in the US... not sure who to blame for that). I don't know how you can say that the FBI didn't mess this one up.