Boston Marathon - explosion

Comments

• unsungunsung Posts: 9,487
    I just have a very hard time believing that they failed this badly, again, and knowing about this guy. There's more to this. It's way too fishy, it doesn't add up.
  • I don't come here trying to convince anyone of anything. I try to understand where they are coming from, and as usual, it turns into me defending myself against someone who slings shit at me for the way I think. And when I see people inciting violence with their hate speech, I tend to call them on it. This isn't private water cooler talk among co workers or friends. This is out for the world to see. In my eyes, it's irresponsible to talk the way you and others have talked in a public forum. You really could end up putting some fucked up ideas in the head of an impressionable mind that might take it seriously and think that these are options in the real world as opposed to fantasies of angry people.

You call it "venting on the internet", but you also have defended your ideas that this guy should be treated no better than a rabid dog. You can't backtrack after the shit that's been said and just call it "normal emotion". Do you really honestly believe this guy doesn't make me as angry as it does you, I just tend to react differently to these situations?

And when I see people inciting violence with their hate speech, I tend to call them on it.
    I'm not so sure the comments made showing approval for the treatment of the mass bomber at the time of arrest and expressing the need for the death penalty in this case can be called inciting violence. Don't play with words: inciting violence is a little different than crime and punishment.
    Hate speech? Again... you are playing with words. I tend to think of hate speech as rather strong, intolerant, and offensive language targeting a group of people for differences. I have never heard of hate speech as a label for people disgusted with a homicidal maniac and expressing such.

In my eyes, it's irresponsible to talk the way you and others have talked in a public forum.
    This portion of your post comes out as a lecture and while there might be some truth to what you have said in regards to web chat... you base what is irresponsible talk according to what you value. You should follow the advice you have given me though: for example... if memory serves me correct... your web talk has yielded a rather irresponsible message to any impressionable youth that"drugs are awesome". I refer to what I thought was your suggestion that all drugs should be legalized (in the legalize drugs thread) and most recently to your post for me in the Other Music Forum (in the Black Sabbath thread). Based on my values... I would call this irresponsible, but I would never lecture you on this. I have more respect for you than to do that to you.

Do you really honestly believe this guy doesn't make me as angry as it does you, I just tend to react differently to these situations?
    Pretty consistently, I have said people are responding to this situation in a variety of manners. I have never said who is 'more mad'. I have never said which position is the best one either although I have stated mine with a degree of passion.

I'm not backtracking and I never will. This asshole deserves everything he can get. My positve thoughts and feelings rest with dead children, dead adults, those who's limbs have been blown off, and those traumatized by the ordeal.

Once again, Hugh, while I'm happy we agree strongly with some other things... I'm sorry we cannot see eye-to-eye on this one. It makes no difference to me though. As much as you spoke down to me with this post I have quoted, I still value your thoughts and contributions even though they might be in contrast with mine. I hope we can find each other on more agreeable terms soon.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • DPrival78DPrival78 Posts: 2,263
    didnt he shoot himself in the throat? here he is, climbing out of the boat without help. i thought he was dying from his wounds.

SMALL_exitingboat.jpg
    i'm more a fan of popular bands.. like the bee-gees, pearl jam
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,123
    Moment of silence tomorrow at 2:50pm...

from the Office of Mayor Menino

Mayor Thomas M. Menino, Governor Deval L. Patrick, and One Fund Boston are calling upon Boston and all communities across the Commonwealth to join together in a Moment of Silence Monday afternoon, exactly one week following the Boston Marathon bombings.

The minute of silence will take place at 2:50 p.m. to honor the victims of the attacks and their families. It will be followed by the ringing of bells throughout Boston and the Commonwealth.

Mayor Menino and Governor Patrick are humbled by the support shown by the public and the business community, and they continue to encourage everyone to visit onefundboston.org to make a donation to help the victims of this tragedy.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,548
    unsung wrote:
    unsung wrote:
    Once again, you don't sacrifice liberty for security.
    you can not have liberty if you do not ensure safety first..

Thankfully the Founding Father's of this great country did not think that way.
    you need to keep the country safe from foreign and domestic enemies..so the people to be able to live their lifes with freedom..i learn that shit at 1st week at Airforce..
    and..
    come with me when i travel at any airport at usa..my tan color will show you how your safety fucks over my liberty..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
    Did I ever say that is right?
    unsung wrote:
    i thought we was talking here about facts anf reality and what happens in real world..
    if we talking about dreams and ideal situations,then i want only one thing

Monica Belluci with me in my bed..and ill be the happiest man on earth..
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    unsung wrote:
    i thought we was talking here about facts anf reality and what happens in real world..

I thought you want mourinho in bed with you and you'll be the happiest man on earth! 8-):lol:
    badbrains wrote:

I thought you want mourinho in bed with you and you'll be the happiest man on earth! 8-):lol:
    nah....Monica Bellucci and Charlize Theron..
    and after that ill cut my penis and put it in a fuckin museum.... :lol:
  • SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 25,417
    badbrains wrote:

nah....Monica Bellucci and Charlize Theron..
    and after that ill cut my penis and put it in a fuckin museum.... :lol:
    :shock:
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
    unsung wrote:

Well if we are in fantasy land I'll take the Millas, Jovovich and Kunis.

In reality I've discussed my thoughts on airport security which is not related to this but if it were a private security company I'd have no issues.

As far as this Boston thing I believe it provided a chance for DHS to show off their new toys. They wanted to see how far they could push things before people would protest too much. Unfortunately they decided to cheer in the streets. "So this is how liberty dies, to thunderous applause".

All I'm asking is for everyone to be critical thinkers and not just believers. You are only here once.
  • badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    unsung wrote:
    unsung wrote:

Well if we are in fantasy land I'll take the Millas, Jovovich and Kunis.

In reality I've discussed my thoughts on airport security which is not related to this but if it were a private security company I'd have no issues.

As far as this Boston thing I believe it provided a chance for DHS to show off their new toys. They wanted to see how far they could push things before people would protest too much. Unfortunately they decided to cheer in the streets. "So this is how liberty dies, to thunderous applause".

All I'm asking is for everyone to be critical thinkers and not just believers. You are only here once.

I think 3 is to much for you to handle Unsung, so I'll help you out and take Kunis off your hands. :thumbup: Oh and I agree with your post as well. It's getting scary out there folks.
    unsung wrote:
    military_zps4207e6d3.jpg

The police keeping us safe, just don't take any pictures.

Seriously, no opinions on this make me believe that this behavior is accepted here.
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    please explain to us how law enforcement was to get this dirt-bag? please tell us how what they did was evil & wrong because a few people had to leave their home(s) (I saw one home having people removed hands on heads) and some people had guns pointed at them...

in less than 1 week (was it 4-5 days?) law enforcement officials killed one bomber & his own brother helped him die by running him over in a stolen car was it? it was stolen, yes? threw bombs and bullets, fast ass bullets at cops, and finally arrested the little puke-wad for his terrorizing & murdering & maiming people.

explain to us how this circus act should have been handled, can you please?

you folks screaming the law enforcement did this wrong, the fbi did this wrong, blah blah blah... yes the oldest bomber was in fbi's crosshairs 2 years ago. they had nothing I guess, right? or he'd have been arrested, yes/no?

are some of you fbi agents? are you a police officer? are you a swat team bomb expert? are you a terrorist investigator? how long have you been with the bureau? you study law? you been overseas tracking down terror groups the last decade away from your loved ones?

show us where & what the law enforcement agencies have failed at

you have no idea the magnitude of which this is & how to deal with this dire situation amongst a large city of innocent people. it's fucking on full force.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    DPrival78 wrote:
    didnt he shoot himself in the throat? here he is, climbing out of the boat without help. i thought he was dying from his wounds.

SMALL_exitingboat.jpg
    he doesn't look well

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,331
    unsung wrote:
    unsung wrote:
    military_zps4207e6d3.jpg

Seriously, no opinions on this make me believe that this behavior is accepted here.

This kind of thing shouldn't be accepted. The militarization of our police forces is getting quite scary. And whats even more scary is the public's acceptance of this. We have laws and rights for a reason, giving them away for our "safety" is a bad path to go down in my opinion.
  • unsung wrote:
    unsung wrote:
    military_zps4207e6d3.jpg

Opinion: necessity.

I know this picture depicts your paranoid notion of a police state, but instead of asking others to be critical thinkers... how about you do the same?

From my perspective... this was an extreme act of violence and the risk for idle pursuit could not be measured. In other words... was there to be an encore? The police managed to ascertain the identities of the two bombers, track them down, and detain both (one is detained dead) with only one more casualty in the line of duty. An extremely efficient display of police work.

Some people were 'inconvenianced'... but don't get scared here, Unsung. Things are getting back to normal now that the 'dirty work' is done.

And, most interstingly... why do you keep avoiding the obvious question that people keep asking of you? How do you suggest police should have alternatively handled this situation?
    chadwick wrote:
    please explain to us how law enforcement was to get this dirt-bag? please tell us how what they did was evil & wrong because a few people had to leave their home(s) (I saw one home having people removed hands on heads) and some people had guns pointed at them...

in less than 1 week (was it 4-5 days?) law enforcement officials killed one bomber & his own brother helped him die by running him over in a stolen car was it? it was stolen, yes? threw bombs and bullets, fast ass bullets at cops, and finally arrested the little puke-wad for his terrorizing & murdering & maiming people.

you folks screaming the law enforcement did this wrong, the fbi did this wrong, blah blah blah... yes the oldest bomber was in fbi's crosshairs 2 years ago. they had nothing I guess, right? or he'd have been arrested, yes/no?

are some of you fbi agents? are you a police officer? are you a swat team bomb expert? are you a terrorist investigator? how long have you been with the bureau? you study law? you been overseas tracking down terror groups the last decade away from your loved ones?

you have no idea the magnitude of which this is & how to deal with this dire situation amongst a large city of innocent people. it's fucking on full force.

I already have explained it. My problems is with how the innocent were treated. I am not going to say it for the fifteenth time. We are not supposed to trade liberty for a preceived security.

A man had a gun pointed at him because he was taking a photo, are you condoning that?
    these cops went days on end with zero sleep. after two-three full days with little to zero sleep you begin to hallucinate. i'd like to see those gripping about law enforcement's handle of this event step in their shoes and give it a go. 99% of you would not make it as long as this event played out.

4-5 days zero or little sleep searching for bombers, at least two, maybe an entire clubhouse of the fuckers, you don't know. they put their lives on the line to protect you people. are you knocking on doors looking for a wicked little bomber with an erection towards maiming & exploding innocent people?

walking dark alleyways looking in dumpsters & crawlspaces of all types...good times im sure

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    edited April 2013
    I know this picture depicts your paranoid notion of a police state, but instead of asking others to be critical thinkers... how about you do the same?

From my perspective... this was an extreme act of violence and the risk for idle pursuit could not be measured. In other words... was there to be an encore? The police managed to ascertain the identities of the two bombers, track them down, and detain both (one is detained dead) with only one more casualty in the line of duty. An extremely efficient display of police work.

Some people were 'inconvenianced'... but don't get scared here, Unsung. Things are getting back to normal now that the 'dirty work' is done.

And, most interstingly... why do you keep avoiding the obvious question that people keep asking of you? How do you suggest police should have alternatively handled this situation?

I have answered it. Maybe I haven't answered it how you want me to. I'm not avoiding anything, people were not inconvenienced, people were not shown their RIGHTS. Barging into someone's house is not an inconvenience, it is a violation of the Fourth Amendment.

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

That is not an inconvenience.
    Post edited by unsung on
  • unsung wrote:
    chadwick wrote:

I already have explained it. My problems is with how the innocent were treated. I am not going to say it for the fifteenth time. We are not supposed to trade liberty for a preceived security.

A man had a gun pointed at him because he was taking a photo, are you condoning that?

I'm not. That photo is disturbing, but we will have to excuse the cop for being on guard after one of his colleagues was gunned down and many more were shot at and had bombs thrown at them. He never pulled the trigger afer assessing the potential threat though.

I'll tell you something... when the city is on alert and the shit is hitting the fan... I'm not standing at my window pointing anything at police while they are doing their work. This is asking for trouble.
    chadwick wrote:

yeah..people say things without having a clue how rules of engagement are..
    and seriously,a dangerous man,with guns and explosives is in the area,accused killing people at marathon,accused killed an officer a few hours ago...and are people that complaining with the tactics the police and fbi try to get him??for protect them?for make them feel safe..?to take the bad guy down??
    wtf do they want??
    if not arrest him..why they dont arrest him yet..if arrest him..they didnt do with the right way..didnt read his rights and tell us to stay home..
    wtf do you want???God sent a strike and burn him??
    someone is responsible for the safety of citizen...and if he says to the people stay in your house cos we need to catch him..well,stay at your houses..
    edited April 2013
    unsung wrote:
    chadwick wrote:

sure I am. I don't care if a gun is pointed at him, her or even myself.
    get your dumbass out of the window with your stupid little camera if you don't wanna have a gun pointed in your immediate direction

does that cop 40 feet away know that is a innocent none terrorist snapping pictures? no he does not know that
    Post edited by chadwick on

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,331
    unsung wrote:
    unsung wrote:
    military_zps4207e6d3.jpg

How do you suggest police should have alternatively handled this situation?

I would expect them to act like human beings in a city full of civilians. Like cops dealing with civilians. I expect them to catch criminals like they always should, by the letter of the law. I don't feel like this was what happened.
  • unsung wrote:

I have answered it. Maybe I haven't answered it how you want me to. I'm not avoiding anything, people were not inconvenienced, people were not shown their RIGHTS. Barging into someone's house is not an inconvenience, it is a violation of the Fourth Amendment.

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

That is not an inconvenience.

You have not answered to any degree of satisfaction. The only thing you have responded with is how they shouldn't have proceeded. You have offered no alternative methodology.

From what you have said... one can ascertain that you would have preferred that the police stumble upon the two bombers through 'typical' police work where they might be sitting at their desk waiting for leads to trickle in. If a couple of months go by (best case scenario) or another bomb goes off (worst case scenario)... you seem to be okay with that to preserve the right to not get off your couch and have police satisfy themselves that the killers aren't camped out in your house- possibly keeping a family member at gunpoint.
    well..the way i see the photo..is just another photo like the ones at Avganistan and iraq..
    arent there usa for help the poor?to help to find their liberty and freedom?to help them from the bad guys??
    make people feel safe??put the dictators down??

they did exactly the same in boston..help the people of Boston to feel safe again..to put the bad guy down..
    unsung wrote:
    chadwick wrote:

I'm not. That photo is disturbing, but we will have to excuse the cop for being on guard after one of his colleagues was gunned down and many more were shot at and had bombs thrown at them. He never pulled the trigger afer assessing the potential threat though.

I'll tell you something... when the city is on alert and the shit is hitting the fan... I'm not standing at my window pointing anything at police while they are doing their work. This is asking for trouble.

I'll agree with you there, my ass would be high tailing it out of the city... Oh wait.
    well..the way i see the photo..is just another photo like the ones at Avganistan and iraq..
    arent there usa for help the poor?to help to find their liberty and freedom?to help them from the bad guys??
    make people feel safe??put the dictators down??

they did exactly the same in boston..help the people of Boston to feel safe again..to put the bad guy down..

Thank you! You just proved my point.
  • rollingsrollings Posts: 7,124
    unsung wrote:
    military_zps4207e6d3.jpg

the driver of the tank is lighting a cigarette.

oops.
    fact... 14,079 younger & older boston citizens are lying up today & have the past week to become police officers, sheriffs, state patrol, fbi, atf, and all in between

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce