Boston Marathon - explosion

Comments

• JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,123
    unsung wrote:
    unsung wrote:
    military_zps4207e6d3.jpg

The police keeping us safe, just don't take any pictures.

Seriously, no opinions on this make me believe that this behavior is accepted here.

An armed terrorist, who only days before had attempted to commit mass murder, was on the loose. In the street was a humvee with an armed National Guardsman providing security. Suddenly, someone appears in a window and points something in the troopers direction. He turns towards this person...

...and then...

nothing happens. No shots are fired. The camera is not taken away. The person taking the picture is free to do with it whatever they like. Hard to imagine that happening if the police were acting in the manner you seem hellbent on pretending they were.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,331
    well..the way i see the photo..is just another photo like the ones at Avganistan and iraq..
    arent there usa for help the poor?to help to find their liberty and freedom?to help them from the bad guys??
    make people feel safe??put the dictators down??

they did exactly the same in boston..help the people of Boston to feel safe again..to put the bad guy down..

I think you are 100% right. But maybe you should really think about that, is that how it should be?
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    well..the way i see the photo..is just another photo like the ones at Avganistan and iraq..
    arent there usa for help the poor?to help to find their liberty and freedom?to help them from the bad guys??

they did exactly the same in boston..help the people of Boston to feel safe again..to put the bad guy down..
    and they did it with lives on the line big time. at any time anyone of them could have been shot and or blown to pieces
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • unsungunsung Posts: 9,487
    edited April 2013
    unsung wrote:
    I know this picture depicts your paranoid notion of a police state, but instead of asking others to be critical thinkers... how about you do the same?

From my perspective... this was an extreme act of violence and the risk for idle pursuit could not be measured. In other words... was there to be an encore? The police managed to ascertain the identities of the two bombers, track them down, and detain both (one is detained dead) with only one more casualty in the line of duty. An extremely efficient display of police work.

Some people were 'inconvenianced'... but don't get scared here, Unsung. Things are getting back to normal now that the 'dirty work' is done.

And, most interstingly... why do you keep avoiding the obvious question that people keep asking of you? How do you suggest police should have alternatively handled this situation?

Lol, that guy would have never made it in my house.

I have answered it. Maybe I haven't answered it how you want me to. I'm not avoiding anything, people were not inconvenienced, people were not shown their RIGHTS. Barging into someone's house is not an inconvenience, it is a violation of the Fourth Amendment.

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

That is not an inconvenience.

You have not answered to any degree of satisfaction. The only thing you have responded with is how they shouldn't have proceeded. You have offered no alternative methodology.

From what you have said... one can ascertain that you would have preferred that the police stumble upon the two bombers through 'typical' police work where they might be sitting at their desk waiting for leads to trickle in. If a couple of months go by (best case scenario) or another bomb goes off (worst case scenario)... you seem to be okay with that to preserve the right to not get off your couch and have police satisfy themselves that the killers aren't camped out in your house- possibly keeping a family member at gunpoint.

On edit. Sorry on my phone, this site doesn't format well. Why isn't the iPhone app supported anymore?

I said he would have never made it in my house.
    Post edited by unsung on
  • Unsung...

Your neverending stream of flag waving is very disrespectful to the authorites that many are calling heroes. The police you are so critical of put their heads in the crosshairs and performed admirably. I understand that there was an atypical approach to apprehending the fugitives and that this might be unsettling, but the magnitude of the crime demanded it. I also understand free speech, but in this instance I would suggest you put aside your agenda to warn the public of the impending government takeover.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
    chadwick wrote:
    fact... 14,079 younger & older boston citizens are lying up today & have the past week to become police officers, sheriffs, state patrol, fbi, atf, and all in between

No shit, look at all the power they will give you.
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,548
    unsung wrote:

Thank you! You just proved my point.
    you dont have a clue about military tactics..
    and when someone do a terrorist attack you take what needs to secure safety of people..

do u have any idea the scenarios??

do you think the one in charge has to do with a window photographer ?

do you realise what will happen if there was 50 of them with bombs??\

Boston will be hell..

well done to the authorities that secure Boston to get back to normal
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    dignin wrote:
    chadwick wrote:
    fact... 14,079 younger & older boston citizens are lying up today & have the past week to become police officers, sheriffs, state patrol, fbi, atf, and all in between

No shit, look at all the power they will give you.
    it made people proud of them. they did a fantastic job. they had the exact power to overtake this evil maniac so they did just that.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • unsung wrote:
    unsung wrote:
    I already have explained it. My problems is with how the innocent were treated. I am not going to say it for the fifteenth time. We are not supposed to trade liberty for a preceived security.

A man had a gun pointed at him because he was taking a photo, are you condoning that?

I'm not. That photo is disturbing, but we will have to excuse the cop for being on guard after one of his colleagues was gunned down and many more were shot at and had bombs thrown at them. He never pulled the trigger afer assessing the potential threat though.

I'll tell you something... when the city is on alert and the shit is hitting the fan... I'm not standing at my window pointing anything at police while they are doing their work. This is asking for trouble.

I'll agree with you there...

I Win! :lol:
    "My brain's a good brain!"
    dignin wrote:

I think you are 100% right. But maybe you should really think about that, is that how it should be?
    no it shouldnt..we should all live in peace and with no guns..

but what the authorities can do when terrorist put bombs in a sport event with thousand of people??
    to say,well,not shut down the town,no block the area,cos we will hurt liberty..
    come on.,.was an attack..need to protect the people..
    can you quarantee there wasnt 50 more of terrorist with bombs and had plan to destroy the city?
    can you take the risk??
    anyone has a better idea how to handle terrorist that put bombs and wanna hurt the society??
    lets hear it
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
    unsung wrote:

Thank you! You just proved my point.
    you dont have a clue about military tactics..
    and when someone do a terrorist attack you take what needs to secure safety of people..

do u have any idea the scenarios??

do you think the one in charge has to do with a window photographer ?

do you realise what will happen if there was 50 of them with bombs??\

Boston will be hell..

well done to the authorities that secure Boston to get back to normal

Lol, and you guys call me paranoid.
    1Wlba.jpg

I Win! :lol:

Ok, sure. Ha. Have a good one, gotta get back to work.
    dignin wrote:

no it shouldnt..we should all live in peace and with no guns..

but what the authorities can do when terrorist put bombs in a sport event with thousand of people??
    to say,well,not shut down the town,no block the area,cos we will hurt liberty..
    come on.,.was an attack..need to protect the people..
    can you quarantee there wasnt 50 more of terrorist with bombs and had plan to destroy the city?
    can you take the risk??
    anyone has a better idea how to handle terrorist that put bombs and wanna hurt the society??
    lets hear it

Living in a free and open society will always have risks. Risks I personally am willing to take. Thousands if not millions of people before me have died for those freedoms.

To your last point, again, I will say within the boundaries of our laws.

I feel people are looking at this very emotionally. Caught up in the drama exaggerated by the media. Maybe we need more time to look at this more objectively.
    and something else..
    with out breaking eggs you cant make omelet..

you want the city secure??..someone is responsible for that..
    i dont think the fbi chief at the area when he woke up at monday morning wanted that nightmare and responsibility at his hands..
    someone needs to do the job..
    bad guys are down.
    they did their job...

sorry if someone dont like that picture,and think its crazy to see this inside a city..i dont like too this kind of images..but..
    but those guys at the picture was ready to shot and get shot for protect everyone asses there..
  • there is a guy in a tank with a machine gun - i should go to my window and take a picture.
    :roll:
    Waiting for someone to argue that a moment of silence is a violation of their 1st amendment right to free speech. At this point it would not surprise me.

• SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 25,417
    there is a guy in a tank with a machine gun - i should go to my window and take a picture.
    And now the guy in the tank, with a machine gun, is pointing that gun at me.

HEY! He is violating my rights!
    How dare he!

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
    dignin wrote:
    Living in a free and open society will always have risks. Risks I personally am willing to take. Thousands if not millions of people before me have died for those freedoms.

To your last point, again, I will say within the boundaries of our laws.

I feel people are looking at this very emotionally. Caught up in the drama exaggerated by the media. Maybe we need more time to look at this more objectively.
    man,i live in Greece..we dont have this images there..no one attack us like that and we put the army on streets and lock down areas....we dont have as many enemies as usa..
    but this is a nice conversation,when all is cool..and safe..
    but when the guy is out there,with bombs,with guns,willing to hurt people,willing to die and get with him as many as he can,without knowning his connections,without knowing the plan,without knowing what suprise he may hiding..you cant take the risk..

and what emotionally??i saw a picture of a 8 years old kid..after a few minutes he became pieces cos of the bomb..
    someone need to protect the next kid..of the next family .at the next door..
    how??i would love to see people posting how..who has a better plan??

The question has been asked repeatedly. No one has an answer. That says it all.

JimmyV wrote:

cos no one is responsible for the safety of the town..
    when you seating in your pc its all easy..but when you are a leader for the safety of people and solve a situation that has to do with public safety,..with terorist attacks that dont know if they strike again,
    when you have dead kids, people without legs,a city feel fear
    well,you must have the balls to make the difficult calls..
    Yeah, it's ok to drag people out of their homes by gunpoint, that they were ordered to stay in. All in the name of keeping them safe. I know what Ben Franklin would say, he would say "fuck that".
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    Do you people realize that it was a guy who left his house after the lock down ended and noticed his boat cover disturbed and investigated and discovered the guy in his boat? not the authorities ... just saying... you do realize it was the authorities who allow backpacks into places like this? the authorities who are responsible for people safety never considered that someone with a backpack could cause problems?

So as so often happens in these type of events it's civilians who provide the tip that leads to an arrest. So maybe its in societies best interest to avoid lock downs, avoid treating the innocent like criminals and just ask them "to vigilante and report anything suspicious".

After the initial chaos it was also the civilians who are very real hero's here as well ... in most cases it was civilians who were helping/comforting the injured first ... they are the first responders, they choose to stay and help, not because it's their job but because it was the human thing to do.

so I'll reserve my :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap: for the civilians ... the one's who selflessly helped injured people and the civilian that noticed that something was not right with his boat and notified the authorities after the lock down ended.

I'll also give :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap: to the the police, ems, fire, doctors, nurses who conducted themselves professionally.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Hugh Freaking DillonHugh Freaking Dillon Posts: 14,010
    edited April 2013
    Once again, Hugh, while I'm happy we agree strongly with some other things... I'm sorry we cannot see eye-to-eye on this one. It makes no difference to me though. As much as you spoke down to me with this post I have quoted, I still value your thoughts and contributions even though they might be in contrast with mine. I hope we can find each other on more agreeable terms soon.

I don't feel I ever spoke down to you or anyone.

I think marijuana shoud be legalized, yes. Not all drugs. Check again. I never said, nor would I ever say that. And what exactly did I say in the Black Sabbath thread that was "irresponsible"?

edit: oh my god I said "bring loads of weed" to the gorge! oh my god! lock me up! I'm so irresponsible!! :lol:
    Post edited by Hugh Freaking Dillon on
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    DPrival78 wrote:
    didnt he shoot himself in the throat? here he is, climbing out of the boat without help. i thought he was dying from his wounds.

SMALL_exitingboat.jpg

that is a still shot from a home surveillance camera of him getting in, not out.
  • there is a guy in a tank with a machine gun - i should go to my window and take a picture.
    And now the guy in the tank, with a machine gun, is pointing that gun at me.

HEY! He is violating my rights!
    How dare he!

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Its like the old saying - "Don't bring an iphone to a gun fight"
  • unsung wrote:
    Yeah, it's ok to drag people out of their homes by gunpoint, that they were ordered to stay in. All in the name of keeping them safe. I know what Ben Franklin would say, he would say "fuck that".
    I think Ben would say fuck that to most things going on today

....and i think we would say fuck that about most shit going on back then.

2 completely different worlds
  • unsung wrote:

but if he was critical of what was done, he would have actually followed it up with a logical explanation of how he thought it should have gone down, instead of just quoting your bible/constitution.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    Wait.

What exactly is being argued here?
    JimmyV wrote:

cos no one is responsible for the safety of the town..
    when you seating in your pc its all easy..but when you are a leader for the safety of people and solve a situation that has to do with public safety,..with terorist attacks that dont know if they strike again,
    when you have dead kids, people without legs,a city feel fear
    well,you must have the balls to make the difficult calls..

I'm sorry but I feel you are being over dramatic. It takes more courage to face the "enemy" under the rules of the law.

Your question about how it could have been done better has been answered many times. If you don't like the answer that's fine.

I personally feel that bending and breaking the law to catch perps is wrong. We have laws and rights for a reason. As scary as things got (much hyped by the media and the police imo) I don't think there was the justification to suspend those rights to catch this 19 year old wounded suspected terrorist.

Out of fear you may be willing to give up your rights, I am not.

I don't agree with unsung about very much, but I'm with him/her on this one.