Boston Marathon - explosion

Comments

• rearviewrossrearviewross Posts: 3,055
    I think if he is convicted and given the death penalty we need to get creative. I say put him in a room with a replica of one of his bombs about 5-6 feet away. Same with the dick who threw grenades in the military tent. Put him in a tent and toss a couple grenades in it. Its only fair. Ricin poison letter guy, gets to eat Ricin.

That or bring on The Running Man.
    runningman1.jpg
    Forced to endure, what I cannot forgive.
  • vant0037vant0037 Posts: 6,108
    I hear what you are getting at, but I think the message is misplaced. If everyone was saying that stuff about some of the people in that post that depicted all the images of the guy with the bag, the lonely looking guy with the backpack, and the other two 'suspicious' looking guys... then your message would be more timely.

People weren't saying those barbaric comments for any of those people despite the suspicion naturally raised by the photographs. In my opinion, people actually did a really good job of waiting before throwing their rocks given what seemed a fairly legitimate expose of possible bombers.

Given the intital evidence that has been presented such as: eyewitness testimony from one of the higher profile victims; damning photographs; and his conduct just prior to being arrested... I'm convinced this idiot is guilty and so are you. We're all relieved and we're all angry. The sentiments expressed are all fair given the unfair behaviour exhibited by the ghouls.

The people, such as myself, that wish the worst for this asshole care very much for humanity. They aren't as simple as you 'kind of' suggest. You have a legal background and you have bought into many of the legal philosophies that others, such as myself, haven't. This fact doesn't make yours or my opinion better than the other- it just makes them different. If these assholes had not tried to kill hundreds of innocent people- an absolute betrayal to mankind- I would be hoping for the best for them. Given what they have done... the living brother can eat shit sandwiches and die. The dead one can rot.

My point wasn't about whether the conclusions people are reaching are helpful or healthy or correct. It's the fact that an accused, no matter how guilty he looks, is tried, condemned and convicted without so much as a charge, an arraignment, a lawyer, a trial and a jury.

Yes, he's very likely the guilty piece of shit we want him to be and think he is. His actions, along with the photographs and televised evidence certainly make it seem that way. That doesn't mean we should dispense with the normal processes for dealing with piece of shit murderers, and the concern - when reading the things people wish to do to an accused before he's even been charged is that sooner or later, those same sentiments are aroused in people with the power to deny those processes. Mob mentality is very scary indeed.
    1998-06-30 Minneapolis
    2003-06-16 St. Paul
    2006-06-26 St. Paul
    2007-08-05 Chicago
    2009-08-23 Chicago
    2009-08-28 San Francisco
    2010-05-01 NOLA (Jazz Fest)
    2011-07-02 EV Minneapolis
    2011-09-03 PJ20
    2011-09-04 PJ20
    2011-09-17 Winnipeg
    2012-06-26 Amsterdam
    2012-06-27 Amsterdam
    2013-07-19 Wrigley
    2013-11-21 San Diego
    2013-11-23 Los Angeles
    2013-11-24 Los Angeles
    2014-07-08 Leeds, UK
    2014-07-11 Milton Keynes, UK
    2014-10-09 Lincoln
    2014-10-19 St. Paul
    2014-10-20 Milwaukee
    2016-08-20 Wrigley 1
    2016-08-22 Wrigley 2
    2018-06-18 London 1
    2018-08-18 Wrigley 1
    2018-08-20 Wrigley 2
    2022-09-16 Nashville
    2023-08-31 St. Paul
    2023-09-02 St. Paul
    2023-09-05 Chicago 1
    2023-08-31 Wrigley 2
    2023-09-15 Fenway 1
  • unsung wrote:

yikes. so what should they have done to catch him in your eyes?

I'll ask again.......

It's not what the did to catch him, it's what they did to everyone else in the process.

yes, that's part of my question. they did what they had to do to other people in order to find the guy. please explain, in detail if you can, how this violated anyone else's rights, and if so, what they could have done differently that would have resulted in catching him without further casualties.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,123
    Too large to embed but below is a picture of a police officer bringing gallons of milk to families with small children who had run low during yesterday's search of Watertown.

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos- ... 7757_n.jpg

The police performed as close to perfect as they possibly could yesterday.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • vant0037 wrote:
    Mob mentality is very scary indeed.

agreed. some of what i'm reading in this thread is more than scary. it's disheartening. justice should be administered with compassion, even if those tried have none themselves. I'm not sure i believe in the death penalty any more, and i'm actually rather quite sure that it would be a greater sentence and harder on the guilty if they were spared their lives, and had the rest of their time to ponder how society turned the other cheek, even after their atrocities.

Some of the responses i've seen on this thread remind me of this scene from the John Adams miniseries where the tax collector is tarred and feathered.

What is the difference between the criminal and those that apprehend him if they both act out the same base, animal tendencies? What point is proved?
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • vant0037 wrote:
    Mob mentality is very scary indeed.

agreed. some of what i'm reading in this thread is more than scary. it's disheartening. justice should be administered with compassion, even if those tried have none themselves. I'm not sure i believe in the death penalty any more, and i'm actually rather quite sure that it would be a greater sentence and harder on the guilty if they were spared their lives, and had the rest of their time to ponder how society turned the other cheek, even after their atrocities.

Some of the responses i've seen on this thread remind me of this scene from the John Adams miniseries where the tax collector is tarred and feathered.

What is the difference between the criminal and those that apprehend him if they both act out the same base, animal tendencies? What point is proved?

Run this one by the victims. It's pretty easy to speak as an enlightened, 'big picture thinker' when one is detached from any authentic emotion or physical pain.

The difference is that these pricks initiated the whole chain of events. They knew very well that their act was going to spill blood and there was going to be some severe consequences. So... they spilled blood and now... some severe consequences. Forced to respond... what do you expect from people? A nice cup of tea and a fireside chat to figure out why the boys became so detached from humanity? Nobody asked for these two fukheads to try and kill 100s of people in cold-blooded, ruthless fashion.

And if the death penalty is truly the kinder option then have at it: works for everyone.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • JimmyV wrote:
    Too large to embed but below is a picture of a police officer bringing gallons of milk to families with small children who had run low during yesterday's search of Watertown.

Yes. Impossible to dispute. Absolutely outstanding work. New chapters can be written in law enforcement manuals and textbooks.
  • vant0037 wrote:
    I hear what you are getting at, but I think the message is misplaced. If everyone was saying that stuff about some of the people in that post that depicted all the images of the guy with the bag, the lonely looking guy with the backpack, and the other two 'suspicious' looking guys... then your message would be more timely.

People weren't saying those barbaric comments for any of those people despite the suspicion naturally raised by the photographs. In my opinion, people actually did a really good job of waiting before throwing their rocks given what seemed a fairly legitimate expose of possible bombers.

Given the intital evidence that has been presented such as: eyewitness testimony from one of the higher profile victims; damning photographs; and his conduct just prior to being arrested... I'm convinced this idiot is guilty and so are you. We're all relieved and we're all angry. The sentiments expressed are all fair given the unfair behaviour exhibited by the ghouls.

The people, such as myself, that wish the worst for this asshole care very much for humanity. They aren't as simple as you 'kind of' suggest. You have a legal background and you have bought into many of the legal philosophies that others, such as myself, haven't. This fact doesn't make yours or my opinion better than the other- it just makes them different. If these assholes had not tried to kill hundreds of innocent people- an absolute betrayal to mankind- I would be hoping for the best for them. Given what they have done... the living brother can eat shit sandwiches and die. The dead one can rot.

My point wasn't about whether the conclusions people are reaching are helpful or healthy or correct. It's the fact that an accused, no matter how guilty he looks, is tried, condemned and convicted without so much as a charge, an arraignment, a lawyer, a trial and a jury.

Yes, he's very likely the guilty piece of shit we want him to be and think he is. His actions, along with the photographs and televised evidence certainly make it seem that way. That doesn't mean we should dispense with the normal processes for dealing with piece of shit murderers, and the concern - when reading the things people wish to do to an accused before he's even been charged is that sooner or later, those same sentiments are aroused in people with the power to deny those processes. Mob mentality is very scary indeed.

Van...

We're just a bunch of fools venting on a message board. The bastard will get his day in court and this is a good thing. We are all powerless with regards to this dink's fortunes and maybe this is a good thing; but for the short term... let's not be too judgemental about the mentalities people might possess trying to digest what has just happened.

The act was reprehensible. The orchestrators of the bombing are heartless, cold bastards that deserve no empathy or respect from us as this community pours all we have into the healing of the victims, survivors, and the rest of your nation. The next decade will be marked by serious levels of distrust for all those wearing backpacks. This event was massive and correspondingly, so too is the level of disdain for those shitbaggers that designed and executed it.
  • know1know1 Posts: 6,794
    This thread is diminishing what little faith I had left in the human race. It's sad that so many people seem to take such comfort and even pleasure in imagining and hoping for physical pain on this suspect.

What he did was terrible. I'm not defending him at all. But some of you need to take a good look at yourselves if someone else's pain brings you comfort.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • unsungunsung Posts: 9,487
    there is no information anywhere they didnt respect his constitutional rights
    you just assuming ,cos you are against the goverment..
    and...from all the forum...you are the only one that "worry" about his constitutional rights ??
    you support that every citizen should be like rambo,and own guns, you support a party that brought Big Brother to usa and create Guantanamo and start wars in the name of terrorism
    ,and you care and worry about a terrorist-murderer constitutional rights??
    if this is a joke,isnt a good one,if u are serious,ill take it as a joke..

Jesus. He wasn't read his Miranda rights. They are claiming they don't need to because of the previously mentioned clause of immediate concern to public safety. However the police have declared the threat over. All your other stuff is BS and has nothing to do with the discussion.

Btw, try and catch up, I'm not a Republican.
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,548
    unsung wrote:
    and...from all the forum...you are the only one that "worry" about his constitutional rights ??
    you support that every citizen should be like rambo,and own guns, you support a party that brought Big Brother to usa and create Guantanamo and start wars in the name of terrorism

Jesus. He wasn't read his Miranda rights. They are claiming they don't need to because of the previously mentioned clause of immediate concern to public safety. However the police have declared the threat over. All your other stuff is BS and has nothing to do with the discussion.

they didnt read his Miranda rights???

shame on them..!!!

they must let him free..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 25,417
    No sympathy for the enemy.
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • aerialaerial Posts: 2,319
    unsung wrote:

shame on them..!!!

they must let him free..

From what I understand the FBI took over the capture of the bomber from the local police.....if he is let go because he was not read his Miranda Rights, it was planned that way.
    “We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.” Abraham Lincoln
  • badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    know1 wrote:
    This thread is diminishing what little faith I had left in the human race. It's sad that so many people seem to take such comfort and even pleasure in imagining and hoping for physical pain on this suspect.

What he did was terrible. I'm not defending him at all. But some of you need to take a good look at yourselves if someone else's pain brings you comfort.

This times 1,000,000. Scary indeed. We've become so desensitized that it becomes a witch hunt and we want blood. We get all butt hurt and want revenge for this display of cowardly act. Look at all the anger and fury over this insident. An insident that plays out everyday all over the world. With more death and carnage. Yet it's ok it happens everywhere else in the world as long as it doesn't happen here, right? Killing innocent people is fucken wrong no matter WHO THEY ARE or WHERE THEY ARE. This event was fucken tragic and we all feel for our brothers and sisters. Boston will get over this as will our country.

shame on them..!!!

they must let him free..

You're the guy complaining about Guantanamo? Are you getting your water boarding skills ready?

Lol, you sound exactly like a neo-con George Bush republican!
    unsung wrote:

shame on them..!!!

they must let him free..

You're the guy complaining about Guantanamo? Are you getting your water boarding skills ready?

Lol, you sound exactly like a neo-con George Bush republican!
    its early,stop drinking,,
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    JimmyV wrote:

Yes. Impossible to dispute. Absolutely outstanding work. New chapters can be written in law enforcement manuals and textbooks.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    :lol:
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    chadwick wrote:
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,123

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
    JimmyV wrote:
    +1..watched this at morning...
  • jbarbianjbarbian Posts: 991
    unsung wrote:

They do not need to read ANYONE their Miranda Rights at the point of arrest. Common misconception. They do need to read you your rights before custodial interrogation. Which I am sure that they will do.

Anything he may have said while they were taking him into custody cannot be used in court because they didn't read the rights at that point. Not much worry there, it doesn't look like he was exclaiming any admissions of guilt.
  • Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Posts: 8,661
    badbrains wrote:
    know1 wrote:

This times 1,000,000. Scary indeed. We've become so desensitized that it becomes a witch hunt and we want blood. We get all butt hurt and want revenge for this display of cowardly act. Look at all the anger and fury over this insident. An insident that plays out everyday all over the world. With more death and carnage. Yet it's ok it happens everywhere else in the world as long as it doesn't happen here, right? Killing innocent people is fucken wrong no matter WHO THEY ARE or WHERE THEY ARE. This event was fucken tragic and we all feel for our brothers and sisters. Boston will get over this as will our country.

I dont care where else in the world this happens. It doesn't happen here! And when it does, the parties responsible will pay dearly for it.
    badbrains wrote:
    know1 wrote:

I dont care where else in the world this happens. It doesn't happen here! And when it does, the parties responsible will pay dearly for it.

Of course you dnt care where else in the world this happens. :roll:
  • rearviewrossrearviewross Posts: 3,055
    No sympathy for the enemy.

No Commericials, No Mercy!!!
    tumblr_m1nsknFSw81qf117go1_500.jpg
    Forced to endure, what I cannot forgive.
  • Thirty Bills UnpaidThirty Bills Unpaid Posts: 16,881
    edited April 2013
    badbrains wrote:
    know1 wrote:

So this times 1,000,000 probably amounts to kisses, hugs, and a snuggly.

If this incident isn't enough to spark anger and fury- two natural emotions in the human emotion spectrum- then what is? Regardless of what 'mamby-pampy' types think... anger and fury serve a purpose. Dismiss them all you want, but they are motivators at the very least.

I'm not understanding how you have taken the ill-wishes of the majority of this community and extended it into everywhere else in the world?

Confusing me once again... you seem to make a plea for empathy for this dickhead... and then in your very last staement you boldly declare, "Killing innocent people is fucken wrong no matter WHO THEY ARE or WHERE THEY ARE."

So... in summary... are you a hardliner disgusted with this event and seeking appopriate justice that would correspond with the very nature of the crime... or are you a 'mamby-pamby' that cannot comprehend why someone would want to see the little worm- who blew up an 8 year old and 100 other people by dropping a backpack holding a bomb into a crowd and then ran away with a smug little grin in anticipation of the carnage- suffer a little?
    Post edited by Thirty Bills Unpaid on
  • they didnt read his Miranda rights???

shame on them..!!!

they must let him free.. (Dimi)

• dignindignin Posts: 9,331
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree ... us-gun-law

Why does America lose its head over 'terror' but ignore its daily gun deaths?

The marathon bombs triggered a reaction that is at odds with last week's inertia over arms control

Michael Cohen in the US
    The Observer, Sunday 21 April 2013

The thriving metropolis of Boston was turned into a ghost town on Friday. Nearly a million Bostonians were asked to stay in their homes – and willingly complied. Schools were closed; business shuttered; trains, subways and roads were empty; usually busy streets eerily resembled a post-apocalyptic movie set; even baseball games and cultural events were cancelled – all in response to a 19-year-old fugitive, who was on foot and clearly identified by the news media.

The actions allegedly committed by the Boston marathon bomber, Dzhokhar Tsarnaev and his brother, Tamerlan, were heinous. Four people dead and more than 100 wounded, some with shredded and amputated limbs.

But Londoners, who endured IRA terror for years, might be forgiven for thinking that America over-reacted just a tad to the goings-on in Boston. They're right – and then some. What we saw was a collective freak-out like few that we've seen previously in the United States. It was yet another depressing reminder that more than 11 years after 9/11 Americans still allow themselves to be easily and willingly cowed by the "threat" of terrorism.

After all, it's not as if this is the first time that homicidal killers have been on the loose in a major American city. In 2002, Washington DC was terrorised by two roving snipers, who randomly shot and killed 10 people. In February, a disgruntled police officer, Christopher Dorner, murdered four people over several days in Los Angeles. In neither case was LA or DC put on lockdown mode, perhaps because neither of these sprees was branded with that magically evocative and seemingly terrifying word for Americans, terrorism.

To be sure, public officials in Boston appeared to be acting out of an abundance of caution. And it's appropriate for Boston residents to be asked to take precautions or keep their eyes open. But by letting one fugitive terrorist shut down a major American city, Boston not only bowed to outsize and irrational fears, but sent a dangerous message to every would-be terrorist – if you want to wreak havoc in the United States, intimidate its population and disrupt public order, here's your instruction booklet.

Putting aside the economic and psychological cost, the lockdown also prevented an early capture of the alleged bomber, who was discovered after Bostonians were given the all clear and a Watertown man wandered into his backyard for a cigarette and found a bleeding terrorist on his boat.

In some regards, there is a positive spin on this – it's a reflection of how little Americans have to worry about terrorism. A population such as London during the IRA bombings or Israel during the second intifada or Baghdad, pretty much every day, becomes inured to random political violence. Americans who have such little experience of terrorism, relatively speaking, are more primed to overreact – and assume the absolute worst when it comes to the threat of a terror attack. It is as if somehow in the American imagination, every terrorist is a not just a mortal threat, but is a deadly combination of Jason Bourne and James Bond.

If only Americans reacted the same way to the actual threats that exist in their country. There's something quite fitting and ironic about the fact that the Boston freak-out happened in the same week the Senate blocked consideration of a gun control bill that would have strengthened background checks for potential buyers. Even though this reform is supported by more than 90% of Americans, and even though 56 out of 100 senators voted in favour of it, the Republican minority prevented even a vote from being held on the bill because it would have allegedly violated the second amendment rights of "law-abiding Americans".

So for those of you keeping score at home – locking down an American city: a proper reaction to the threat from one terrorist. A background check to prevent criminals or those with mental illness from purchasing guns: a dastardly attack on civil liberties. All of this would be almost darkly comic if not for the fact that more Americans will die needlessly as a result. Already, more than 30,000 Americans die in gun violence every year (compared to the 17 who died last year in terrorist attacks).

What makes US gun violence so particularly horrifying is how routine and mundane it has become. After the massacre of 20 kindergartners in an elementary school in Newtown, Connecticut, millions of Americans began to take greater notice of the threat from gun violence. Yet since then, the daily carnage that guns produce has continued unabated and often unnoticed.

The same day of the marathon bombing in Boston, 11 Americans were murdered by guns. The pregnant Breshauna Jackson was killed in Dallas, allegedly by her boyfriend. In Richmond, California, James Tucker III was shot and killed while riding his bicycle – assailants unknown. Nigel Hardy, a 13-year-old boy in Palmdale, California, who was being bullied in school, took his own life. He used the gun that his father kept at home. And in Brooklyn, New York, an off-duty police officer used her department-issued Glock 9mm handgun to kill herself, her boyfriend and her one-year old child.

At the same time that investigators were in the midst of a high-profile manhunt for the marathon bombers that ended on Friday evening, 38 more Americans – with little fanfare – died from gun violence. One was a 22-year old resident of Boston. They are a tiny percentage of the 3,531 Americans killed by guns in the past four months – a total that surpasses the number of Americans who died on 9/11 and is one fewer than the number of US soldiers who lost their lives in combat operations in Iraq. Yet, none of this daily violence was considered urgent enough to motivate Congress to impose a mild, commonsense restriction on gun purchasers.

It's not just firearms that produce such legislative inaction. Last week, a fertiliser plant in West, Texas, which hasn't been inspected by federal regulators since 1985, exploded, killing 14 people and injuring countless others. Yet many Republicans want to cut further the funding for the agency (OSHA) that is responsible for such reviews. The vast majority of Americans die from one of four ailments – cardiovascular disease, cancer, diabetes and chronic lung disease – and yet Republicans have held three dozen votes to repeal Obamacare, which expands healthcare coverage to 30 million Americans.

It is a surreal and difficult-to-explain dynamic. Americans seemingly place an inordinate fear on violence that is random and unexplainable and can be blamed on "others" – jihadists, terrorists, evil-doers etc. But the lurking dangers all around us – the guns, our unhealthy diets, the workplaces that kill 14 Americans every single day – these are just accepted as part of life, the price of freedom, if you will. And so the violence goes, with more Americans dying preventable deaths. But hey, look on the bright side – we got those sons of bitches who blew up the marathon.
    How many civilians overseas were killed by drone strikes over the last week?

Congress also snuck through CISPA while everyone was distracted.
    badbrains wrote:
    know1 wrote:

So this times 1,000,000 probably amounts to kisses, hugs, and a snuggly.

If this incident isn't enough to spark anger and fury- two natural emotions in the human emotion spectrum- then what is? Regardless of what 'mamby-pampy' types think... anger and fury serve a purpose. Dismiss them all you want, but they are motivators at the very least.

I'm not understanding how you have taken the ill-wishes of the majority of this community and extended it into everywhere else in the world?

Confusing me once again... you seem to make a plea for empathy for this dickhead... and then in your very last staement you boldly declare, "Killing innocent people is fucken wrong no matter WHO THEY ARE or WHERE THEY ARE."

So... in summary... are you a hardliner disgusted with this event and seeking appopriate justice that would correspond with the very nature of the crime... or are you a 'mamby-pamby' that cannot comprehend why someone would want to see the little worm- who blew up an 8 year old and 100 other people by dropping a backpack holding a bomb into a crowd and then ran away with a smug little grin in anticipation of the carnage- suffer a little?

Ya, you got me all figured out. :roll: a fucken mamby pamby or whatever it is you called me. And ya you're right, only Americans are allowed to feel those feelings you described. Because in reality, only America exists in the world. Give me a fucken break! I never said empathy for this dick. He should be hung by his balls but for you to act like the worlds ending because of what happened in Boston, got news for you, it happens ALL OVER THE WORLD EVERYDAY. Difference is is that you view the world through YOUR American eyes.