Boston Marathon - explosion

Comments

• peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    stickfig13 wrote:
    Reports saying no suspect in custody.

Solid reporting once again....

Yeah. NBC says no arrests have been made :roll:

I'm going to tune out of this until the media gets their shit together.
  • stickfig13stickfig13 Posts: 1,532
    polaris_x wrote:
    uhhh ... just watched the video on cnn ... why the cuss is wolf asking if they have information on whether or not it's a foreigner or if it's someone who speaks with an accent or looks like a foreigner? ... fuck, as if racial tensions aren't already hyper-inflated now ... he's just stoking the fires ...

it's fucking the USA ... everyone talks with an accent depending on where you live ... brutal ...

I don't think those questions are out of line. Isn't that what we all want to know? White guy or brown guy. I'd like to know.

Stop playing PC police
    Sacramento 10-30-00, Bridge School 10-20 and 10-21-01, Bridge School 10-25 and 10-26-01, Irvine 06-02-03, Irvine 06-03-03, San Diego 06-05-03, San Diego 07-07-06, Los Angeles 07-09-06, Santa Barbara 07-13-06, London UK 06-18-07, San Diego 10-9-09, San Diego 2013, LA 1 2013
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    stickfig13 wrote:
    I don't think those questions are out of line. Isn't that what we all want to know? White guy or brown guy. I'd like to know.

Stop playing PC police

oh dear ... nevermind ...
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,123
    "The US Attorney's office has issued a statement that there has been no arrest in the Marathon bombings case and no one is in custody, according to the Globe."

Are they serious with this? Is anyone fact checking before they report the "news"? How many times can they all be so blatantly wrong?

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889
    So, no arrest made now?

Go home CNN... you're drunk.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    So, no arrest made now?

Go home CNN... you're drunk.
    Latest addition to the CNN payroll ....

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRcvh04hmWRotcp7ZdUmRDmMadR7a48xDhnxH9gtzSpu5lrxoczNw
    polaris_x wrote:
    stickfig13 wrote:

Stop playing PC police

oh dear ... nevermind ...

My point is. It's not a race thing until someone makes it one. The fact that Wolf Blitzer asks where the guy is from isn't stoking the flames of anything. It's a major part of the story. Fact.
    Sacramento 10-30-00, Bridge School 10-20 and 10-21-01, Bridge School 10-25 and 10-26-01, Irvine 06-02-03, Irvine 06-03-03, San Diego 06-05-03, San Diego 07-07-06, Los Angeles 07-09-06, Santa Barbara 07-13-06, London UK 06-18-07, San Diego 10-9-09, San Diego 2013, LA 1 2013
    stickfig13 wrote:
    My point is. It's not a race thing until someone makes it one. The fact that Wolf Blitzer asks where the guy is from isn't stoking the flames of anything. It's a major part of the story. Fact.

tell me what the fuck an accent has to do with the story?
    polaris_x wrote:
    stickfig13 wrote:

tell me what the fuck an accent has to do with the story?

#1 Settle down

#2 I didn't see the clip

#3 Any accent could make a difference in the story. You are assuming he asking if the accent is "Middle Eastern". What if the accent was German or a Hawaiian accent? I think all of that is important to the story.
    stickfig13 wrote:
    #1 Settle down

#2 I didn't see the clip

#3 Any accent could make a difference in the story. You are assuming he asking if the accent is "Middle Eastern". What if the accent was German or a Hawaiian accent? I think all of that is important to the story.

sorry ... the 'fuck' probably makes it sound angrier than it really is ... i'm actually not that jacked up ... :)

all i know is this ... everyone is angry ... and just as we heard a plethora of stories of middle-eastern people getting harassed after 9/11 ... we simply don't need to give the people who are prone to do that any ammo ...

if the guy reports that the suspect sounded like he had an arabic accent ... what does that truly do for anyone? ... first of all, it's pure speculation whether or not the source even knows the difference between arabs and other people from that part of the world ... second, it doesn't change the case ... the suspect could talk like a guy from texas but still be part of a foreign terrorist group ... all it does is stokes the flames for the blood thirsty right now ...

and there are plenty of people who are just looking for an excuse to take some "foreigner" out ...
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,888
    polaris_x wrote:

sorry ... the 'fuck' probably makes it sound angrier than it really is ... i'm actually not that jacked up ... :)
    :lol: I hate it when I do that. :lol:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    also factor this in ... as wolf is asking these questions ... the guy actually says that the supposed suspect who was arrested was "dark skinned" ...

based on what we've seen ... many reports are simply not credible ... all these media outlets want to be the first to break news ... and to hell with facts ... so, now we have a bunch of people who equate "dark skinned" with whoever and then what? ... all based on erroneous reports ...
  • stickfig13 wrote:
    Reports saying no suspect in custody.

Solid reporting once again....

Yeah. NBC says no arrests have been made :roll:

I'm going to tune out of this until the media gets their shit together.

Agreed
    ~Carter~

You can spend your time alone, redigesting past regrets, oh
    or you can come to terms and realize
    you're the only one who can't forgive yourself, oh
    makes much more sense to live in the present tense
    - Present Tense
    PJ_Soul wrote:

i have a potty mouth in person ... i believe "fuck" to be a very versatile word and use it quite often ... sort of the swiss army knives of words ... :lol::lol:
  • IndifferenceIndifference Posts: 2,679
    Brigham and Women's Hospital and Courthouse being evacuated - WTF?

SHOW COUNT: (157) 1990's=3, 2000's=53, 2010/20's=97, US=116, CAN=15, Europe=20 ,New Zealand=2, Australia=2
    Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

Upcoming:   Ohana x2  Aucklandx2, Gold Coast, Melbournex2

• chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    polaris_x wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:

i have a potty mouth in person ... i believe "fuck" to be a very versatile word and use it quite often ... sort of the swiss army knives of words ... :lol::lol:
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    polaris_x wrote:
    stickfig13 wrote:
    #1 Settle down

#2 I didn't see the clip

all i know is this ... everyone is angry ... and just as we heard a plethora of stories of middle-eastern people getting harassed after 9/11 ... we simply don't need to give the people who are prone to do that any ammo ...

if the guy reports that the suspect sounded like he had an arabic accent ... what does that truly do for anyone? ... first of all, it's pure speculation whether or not the source even knows the difference between arabs and other people from that part of the world ... second, it doesn't change the case ... the suspect could talk like a guy from texas but still be part of a foreign terrorist group ... all it does is stokes the flames for the blood thirsty right now ...

and there are plenty of people who are just looking for an excuse to take some "foreigner" out ...
    Have to agree that any accent is important info when considering suspects, just for identifying them, and it also can give hints to where the person is from, which is, clearly, something people are wondering.

Everyone, remember that the media is all about trying to provide up to the minute information as it comes in. All of the networks I've watched have made a huge point of saying that they are just passing on info as they get it, but that sometimes that info isn't necessarily accurate. They keep reminding the viewers of this over and over again. I don't see the big deal... in the end we'll all have the same answers. In the meantime, the media will be the media, and the gobblers of media will demand some kind of news. I mean, when there is no info coming out, people start complaining about there being no news. And then when unconfirmed info (labelled as such) comes out, people complain that they're not getting it right the first time. I actually think the news media is handling it the best they can, given the desires of the audience. I'm pretty sure all of us here are smart enough to understand how it works, and that confirmation by authorities is what tells us what's true or not, not matter what rumours might be flying.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,177
    I just hope they catch the perpetrator no matter what color skin or what accent or even an alien , just hope they get who did this ....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    edited April 2013
    polaris_x wrote:
    stickfig13 wrote:
    #1 Settle down

#2 I didn't see the clip

I see what you're saying.

I think the people looking to "Take a foreigner out" are the same people who would do that regardless of what is going on.

You could be right. My only point was that details about the suspect are actually part of the story at this point. Whether the person has an accent is too. I live in California. If I have a "California" accent but I live in Germany.... I'm most likely from California. I'm most likely American
    Post edited by stickfig13 on
    From the FBI:

"Contrary to widespread reporting, there have been no arrests made in connection with the Boston Marathon attack. Over the past day and a half, there have been a number of press reports based on information from unofficial sources that has been inaccurate. Since these stories often have unintended consequences, we ask the media, particularly at this early stage of the investigation, to exercise caution and attempt to verify information through appropriate official channels before reporting."

JimmyV wrote:
    From the FBI:

"Contrary to widespread reporting, there have been no arrests made in connection with the Boston Marathon attack. Over the past day and a half, there have been a number of press reports based on information from unofficial sources that has been inaccurate. Since these stories often have unintended consequences, we ask the media, particularly at this early stage of the investigation, to exercise caution and attempt to verify information through appropriate official channels before reporting."

It's like asking a dog not to bark
    polaris_x wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:

:lol: Ditto
    The scene at the courthouse:

liv-480x270.png

20130417_1421321-480x360.jpg

JimmyV wrote:
    The scene at the courthouse:

liv-480x270.png

20130417_1421321-480x360.jpg
    :shock: All media? Or looky-loos too?
    Also, is that a giant Crown Royal billboard on the courthouse? :lol:
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Also, is that a giant Crown Royal billboard on the courthouse? :lol:

It's across the parking lot but yes. :D I love my city...

• Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    JimmyV wrote:
    CNN saying a federal law enforcement source is saying that they have video of the guy actually placing one of the bombs.

That should put an end to a lot of the questions/conspiracies.

My bet is the conspiracy theories are just getting started.

with the media reporting one thing and FBI reporting another you can bet that the conspiracy game will kick into high gear :lol:

Godfather.
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Have to agree that any accent is important info when considering suspects, just for identifying them, and it also can give hints to where the person is from, which is, clearly, something people are wondering.

Everyone, remember that the media is all about trying to provide up to the minute information as it comes in. All of the networks I've watched have made a huge point of saying that they are just passing on info as they get it, but that sometimes that info isn't necessarily accurate. They keep reminding the viewers of this over and over again. I don't see the big deal... in the end we'll all have the same answers. In the meantime, the media will be the media, and the gobblers of media will demand some kind of news. I mean, when there is no info coming out, people start complaining about there being no news. And then when unconfirmed info (labelled as such) comes out, people complain that they're not getting it right the first time. I actually think the news media is handling it the best they can, given the desires of the audience. I'm pretty sure all of us here are smart enough to understand how it works, and that confirmation by authorities is what tells us what's true or not, not matter what rumours might be flying.

but people can't even identify accents ... really - if blitzer says the guy has a finnish accent ... it does absolutely zero ... the people that need to know that info (i.e. law enforcement) already has that info ... if they've identified a suspect and need help locating ... sure, give every detail you got ... but until then its pure speculation and nothing positive can come out of it ...
    JimmyV wrote:
    Since these stories often have unintended consequences, we ask the media, particularly at this early stage of the investigation, to exercise caution and attempt to verify information through appropriate official channels before reporting."

exactly ... unintended consequences ...

trying to deliver on information that can have significant consequence without knowing if it is factual or relevant is irresponsible ... it's not about being PC ...
    polaris_x wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:

but people can't even identify accents ... really - if blitzer says the guy has a finnish accent ... it does absolutely zero ... the people that need to know that info (i.e. law enforcement) already has that info ... if they've identified a suspect and need help locating ... sure, give every detail you got ... but until then its pure speculation and nothing positive can come out of it ...
    Well, for one, a lot of people can actually identify a lot of accents. But also, it's not like people are going to go out and start curb stomping people with accents. I see no harm.