Airline "Fat Tax"...thoughts?

Comments

• Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    81 wrote:
    Well, it is a Samoan airline. Based on what i know of Samoans (via the gift of football) ... well, let's just say they aint playing the wideout position.
  • madtowndavemadtowndave Posts: 4,012
    I personally don't like this idea.
    Nashville-00
    Nashville-03
    Chicago-07
    E.V. Milwaukee-08
    Chicago 1 & 2-09
    Alpine Valley 1 & 2-11
    Wrigley-13
    St. Paul-14
    Milwaukee-14
    Denver-22
    St. Paul 1 & 2 - 23
  • cubBEE_girlcubBEE_girl Posts: 3,365
    RKCNDY wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:
    maybe I should have not told you, and left it as a surprise...kinda like the toy at the bottom of the cereal box.

Rude

a surprise is rude? :roll:

CUBBEE! add to the list! "grasshopper does not like surprises"

I missed this. Will add it to the list!
    I lost a bet...
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    Dude that looked exactly like Milton sat in the middle seat next to me this morning. Think Milton but 70 lbs fatter.
    milton-office-space.jpg
    Guy sits down and his fat ass squeezed in between the armrests. I sit down, disgusted by what I have to sit next to. Guy asks "Hey, you mind if I put the armrest up?" "I sure do, armrest stays down". Fat man gives me a glare. So not only are his fat thighs invading the space of the people next to him, but his arms were so fat that they couldn't be contained within the confines of his seat. I'm leaning into the aisle the entire flight.
    Best part...
    Guy orders a coffee. Guy gets his coffee, puts the tray table down but it couldn't go down all the way. Not that it didn't work, his giant stomach wouldn't allow it go down. So he just rests it on his stomach. Guy puts like 5 creams in his coffee, goes to put in another and he drops it. It hits the slanted tray table supported by his stomach and spills down his fat thighs. Didn't faze him. Just kept on reading his paper with cream all down his pants. :fp:
    Oh, and he was also a mouth breather who chomped on gum the whole flight.

Good times!
    I wanted to stand up and say "I've had it with these motherfuckin' fatties on this motherfuckin' plane!"
    :D
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    mca47 wrote:
    Just kept on reading his paper with cream all down his pants. :fp:

this part made me :lol::lol::lol: the hardest...where's rick?
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    Riiiighhht ...

Soooooo .....
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    Have we noticed that thin people are more inclined to pass from cancer
    and fatties from heart failure? And people who fly excessively are at a
    much higher risk of blood clots.
    I guess something's gonna get'cha. Maybe even karma.

I have also heard negativity effects one's health detrimentally and a positive attitude
    towards life and others can bring a long life. Makes pounds of sense ;)
    pandora wrote:

I have also heard negativity effects one's health detrimentally and a positive attitude

Why do you believe a thin person is more likely to die from cancer? I work in cancer research, and would like to hear this one! :? :lol:

Oh, and the next time I'm wedged between two 300 lb dudes on a plane, I'll think "stay positive"!
    :lol:
  • peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    RKCNDY wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:
    maybe I should have not told you, and left it as a surprise...kinda like the toy at the bottom of the cereal box.

Rude

a surprise is rude? :roll:

CUBBEE! add to the list! "grasshopper does not like surprises"

That's simply not true
    mca47 wrote:
    pandora wrote:

Why do you believe a thin person is more likely to die from cancer? I work in cancer research, and would like to hear this one! :? :lol:

Oh, and the next time I'm wedged between two 300 lb dudes on a plane, I'll think "stay positive"!
    :lol:
    Yes stay positive ... good idea!
    that would do you a world of good cause you certainly can't do a damn thing
    about it but bitch :lol:
    and yes laughing is very good for our souls but not so much at the expense of others ...
    actually I believe that is a character flaw or is it immaturity or maybe both.

Maybe I can find some data to support my theory about the passing of body types
    and personalities. That would be based on family histories, people I have known etc.

Watch out for those blood clots though a real threat any size ... I think aspirin is good for that.
    You do know the best way to avoid bad karma though right? Most people do,
    at least those who believe. I do :D I also practice witchcraft though ;):lol:
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    doesn't cancer typically cause weight loss....thus resulting in most cancer victims being thin.....

just a theory.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    doesn't cancer typically cause weight loss....thus resulting in most cancer victims being thin.....

just a theory.
    Correct, depending on the cancer and the tx.

That said, being thin doesn't make you more prone to developing cancer nor does being thin make you more likely to die from it. Malnutrition as a result of nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea (side effects of many chemotherapy agents and radiation) is what makes so many cancer patients thin.
    Malnutrition at a time where your body needs energy and a healthy immune system certainly increases the complexity of the treatment regimen and the ability to stay on treatment.
    mca47 wrote:
    81 wrote:

just a theory.

That said, being thin doesn't make you more prone to developing cancer nor does being thin make you more likely to die from it. Malnutrition as a result of nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea (side effects of many chemotherapy agents and radiation) is what makes so many cancer patients thin.
    Malnutrition at a time where your body needs energy and a healthy immune system certainly increases the complexity of the treatment regimen and the ability to stay on treatment.

So, have cancer patients smoke some pot, they get the munchies, they eat, they gain weight...win!
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    RKCNDY wrote:
    So, have cancer patients smoke some pot, they get the munchies, they eat, they gain weight...win!

i think that's a myth.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    RKCNDY wrote:
    mca47 wrote:
    81 wrote:

just a theory.

Yup. It's a very effective therapy for ca patients.
    From my experience, the majority of late stage ca patients who have treated their symptoms with pot actually lived happier, healthier, and sometimes longer.
    Bizarre that such an effective therapy is illegal.
    Bizarre that the pharmaceutical "synthetic" prescription version (Marinol) of pot is ok to prescribe but it doesn't work as well as the real thing. :fp:
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,889
    81 wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:

i think that's a myth.
    No, it's true!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    mca47 wrote:

From my experience, the majority of late stage ca patients who have treated their symptoms with pot actually lived happier, healthier, and sometimes longer.
    Bizarre that the pharmaceutical "synthetic" prescription version (Marinol) of pot is ok to prescribe but it doesn't work as well as the real thing. :fp:

Big Pharma only cares about creating customers and making money, they don't care about 'curing' diseases. <----I can say that because I used to work in pharmaceuticals.

I've seen more amazing things happen from homeopathy than I did with pharmaceuticals.

- Christopher McCandless
    RKCNDY wrote:
    mca47 wrote:

Big Pharma only cares about creating customers and making money, they don't care about 'curing' diseases. <----I can say that because I used to work in pharmaceuticals.

I've seen more amazing things happen from homeopathy than I did with pharmaceuticals.
    I actually disagree with that completely.
    I work for a pharmaceutical company (privately owned) in oncology research. The notion we're dragging out heals to find a cure as a means to make more money.... :fp: :fp: :fp:
    I'm working on a non-small cell lung cancer study/drug for the last 5 years. We've spent hundreds of millions of dollars getting it to the point where we are submitting it to the FDA for that indication. The science is there, it's an effective drug. Don't you think if my company or another had the cure for say...breast cancer, they would hold it back? Any company that has a "cure" instantly becomes the richest company in the world. The disease is complex beyond anyone's wildest thoughts. We're making progress, but it takes a lot of time, a lot of money and alot of shit to deal with.
    Science is a beautiful thing and once you really dive head first into this research, you respect it on an entirely different level.

While I'm not a big homeopathic kinda guy, I do believe that pharmaceutical options should be a last resort. Live a healthy life, eat right, exercise and hopefully you won't HAVE to take a prescription for something down the line.
    mca47 wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:
    mca47 wrote:

I work for a pharmaceutical company (privately owned) in oncology research. The notion we're dragging out heals to find a cure as a means to make more money.... :fp: :fp: :fp:
    I'm working on a non-small cell lung cancer study/drug for the last 5 years. We've spent hundreds of millions of dollars getting it to the point where we are submitting it to the FDA for that indication. The science is there, it's an effective drug. Don't you think if my company or another had the cure for say...breast cancer, they would hold it back? Any company that has a "cure" instantly becomes the richest company in the world. The disease is complex beyond anyone's wildest thoughts. We're making progress, but it takes a lot of time, a lot of money and alot of shit to deal with.
    Science is a beautiful thing and once you really dive head first into this research, you respect it on an entirely different level.

While I'm not a big homeopathic kinda guy, I do believe that pharmaceutical options should be a last resort. Live a healthy life, eat right, exercise and hopefully you won't HAVE to take a prescription for something down the line.
    I do think what RKCNDY says is totally true when it comes to things like herpes and other generally non-deadly diseases that keep people coming back for more medicine (and that is reprehensible). But yes, from what I know from those who work closely with the industry (i.e. doctors and other medical researchers), they are not trying to prevent a cure for cancer, or AIDS, or any other terrible deadly diseases and conditions (they can't wait to make the cures incredibly expensive when they come along if at all possible, of course). Pharmaceutical companies are evil... but not quite that evil.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    mca47 wrote:

Homeopathy is also science, I'm a big science fan. Not saying that companies are 'holding back' just that, I don't have much faith on the trials/testing. Why does it take so long for them to re-call things? Vioxx anybody?

I don't want to take away from your threads intent, from my experience working with some of the big name comapnies... :thumbdown:

- Christopher McCandless
    Ok, let's put the tinfoil hats away and get to the topic at hand...
    Obese people making flying miserable for the rest of us!
    mca47 wrote:
    Ok, let's put the tinfoil hats away and get to the topic at hand...
    Obese people making flying miserable for the rest of us!
    I think you're making too much of it.
  • guacamolejoeguacamolejoe Posts: 2,396
    81 wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:

i think that's a myth.

Munchies myth :wtf: .......WTF are you smoking :fp:

Cancer patients need to eat, marijuana makes you hungry & relieves nausea
    marijuana good for cancer patients :ugeek:
    So, What you Giving ?........ (Thanks Speedy, Alesek, & Arq+friends)
    What You Giving

I suggest you step out on your Porch.
    Run away my son. See it all. Oh, See the World!
    81 wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:

i think that's a myth.

Munchies myth :wtf: .......WTF are you smoking :fp:

Cancer patients need to eat, marijuana makes you hungry & relieves nausea
    marijuana good for cancer patients :ugeek:
    Flying in and out of LA or Orange Co. def saves Southwest some bucks. Can't say the same out of Milwaukee. :lol:

Hadn't been to LA in a couple months....chicks are :thumbup:
    Number....obtained! :D
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    I just flew home from LA in premium economy with virgin Australia. ive now decided I will always fly premium economy(bigger, more comfortable seats). it costs more but itll be worth it to not have to listen to the whiny bitches in economy. :P
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • LoulouLoulou Posts: 6,247
    If they made their seats more bloody comfortable and didn't pack everyone in like freaking sardines it would help too. Plus if they are going to charge people more if they weigh more the least they can do is charge the guy with the cheesy feet and the bloke that smells like pickles more too!
    I swear I get that pickle man on every flight! :x
    “ "Thank you Palestrina. It’s a wonderful evening, it’s great to be here and I wanna dedicate you a super sexy song." " (last words of Mark Sandman of Morphine)

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    Eddie Vedder, Adelaide 2011
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
    Adelaide BIG DAY OUT 2014
    The worse thing on a flight though is the poor person who is sick.
    Flying home from Milwaukee I was feverish, so weak, crying up a storm,
    holding an awful cough in ...
    it was torturous. My ears so plugged hurt really bad. JB was next to me though to comfort
    and we had a free seat in our threesome, thank goodness.

I don't remember in a lifetime of flying being so uncomfortable. Never again will I
    curse someone who is not well on one of my flights. It's the icing on the cake to be
    that one on a plane. I pray I got no one sick, this has been a terrible infection.
    Loulou wrote:
    If they made their seats more bloody comfortable and didn't pack everyone in like freaking sardines it would help too. Plus if they are going to charge people more if they weigh more the least they can do is charge the guy with the cheesy feet and the bloke that smells like pickles more too!
    Yeah, shoes should be mandatory on flights. So sick of people thinking the airplane is their living room. It's f'n disgusting!
    pandora wrote:
    The worse thing on a flight though is the poor person who is sick.
    Flying home from Milwaukee I was feverish, so weak, crying up a storm,
    holding an awful cough in ...
    it was torturous. My ears so plugged hurt really bad. JB was next to me though to comfort
    and we had a free seat in our threesome, thank goodness.

I don't remember in a lifetime of flying being so uncomfortable. Never again will I
    curse someone who is not well on one of my flights. It's the icing on the cake to be
    that one on a plane. I pray I got no one sick, this has been a terrible infection.

Yeah, being sick on a plane is no fun at all! About a year ago I got food poisoning and it literally hit as I was standing in line to board my flight to San Antonio (from Phoenix). The longest 2-2.5 hours of my life! My body was literally shutting down. Cold sweats, stomach felt like it had razors in it, thought I was going to throw up. Was AWFUL! Couldn't get off that plane faster!
    I do feel bad for people who have to fly while sick...that said, I despise people who fly with nasty colds, the flu or anything else that is highly infectious. It always seems like they are right next to me...coughing and sneezing all over the place. :x :lol:
    mca47 wrote:
    Loulou wrote:
    Yeah, shoes should be mandatory on flights. So sick of people thinking the airplane is their living room. It's f'n disgusting!

i always take my shoes off on long flights...or is that drives? yeah, drives...but my feet are clean
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg