Airline "Fat Tax"...thoughts?

Comments

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    his would be a nightmare for the airport janitor... with all the riders trying to shit out their last few pounds and all before they board... :think: Plus, I'd just design some helium filled underwear. Ooh, thats sounds fun.

Would your farts come out all squeaky?

only if you ate cheese curds
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    81 wrote:
    his would be a nightmare for the airport janitor... with all the riders trying to shit out their last few pounds and all before they board... :think: Plus, I'd just design some helium filled underwear. Ooh, thats sounds fun.

Would your farts come out all squeaky?

only if you ate cheese curds

I'm going to tackle you
    I'm going to tackle you
    :lol::lol::lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • kw18kw18 Posts: 3,909
    I'd be a fan of this, and I'm sure some type of system could be developed that seems fair. (I think we can all agree we don't want the airline industry contributing to mass amounts of people developing eating -- or lack of eating -- disorders.)

Similar "taxes" or extra fees have been implemented by some companies' insurance policies for workers who smoke or are overweight ... and healthy workers pay less. That seems fair, too.
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    So the person who works out and has like 5% body fat, and can fit just fine in the seat should pay more?

People who lift weights/workout tend to have lower body fat percentages-muscle weighs more than fat-so essentially, it is possible that some people who are fit, would end up paying a 'fat tax' since they would weigh more than a person of the same height...their BMI would say they are overweight' but in truth, they are not overweight.

I think if you can't fit your ass into the 17" wide seat, then pay up. I'm sure there are lots of people on here that would be glad to measure bums.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    RKCNDY wrote:
    So the person who works out and has like 5% body fat, and can fit just fine in the seat should pay more?

People who lift weights/workout tend to have lower body fat percentages-muscle weighs more than fat-so essentially, it is possible that some people who are fit, would end up paying a 'fat tax' since they would weigh more than a person of the same height...their BMI would say they are overweight' but in truth, they are not overweight.

I think if you can't fit your ass into the 17" wide seat, then pay up. I'm sure there are lots of people on here that would be glad to measure bums.

And a company can account for that or lose business
    RKCNDY wrote:
    . I'm sure there are lots of people on here that would be glad to measure bums.

:think:

only if i get frist crack at selecting which ones i'm going to measure...i don't wanna be the last person in the measuring line.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    My assistant manager likes to stare at my ass

I'm not sure if that's a good thing. :lol:
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632

is he hot?
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    81 wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:

only if i get frist crack at selecting which ones i'm going to measure...i don't wanna be the last person in the measuring line.

hahaha...you want a crack at bums.
    rick1zoo2 wrote:

is he hot?

It's a she ;)
    81 wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:

and at first I read 'fist crack'...
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    RKCNDY wrote:
    81 wrote:

and at first I read 'fist crack'...

Hey, whatever you are into is your own business...

Hey, whatever you are into is your own business...

I was talking about 81...

- Christopher McCandless
    rick1zoo2 wrote:

is he hot?

It's a she ;)

Sounds like you may due for a raise. :corn:
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."
    kw18 wrote:

Do I pull the HR card?

Do I?

:corn:

:lol:
    kw18 wrote:

I think it's already happened...

- Christopher McCandless
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    RKCNDY wrote:
    kw18 wrote:

:lol:
    RKCNDY wrote:
    kw18 wrote:

:shock:
  • CAVSTARR313CAVSTARR313 Posts: 8,756
    RKCNDY wrote:

What I am saying is it could be treated like shipping a package. they weigh the package, they give you a price to send it to its destination baised on the wieght. Treat humans and there baggage just like that. some will pay more, some will pay less. It would be fair.
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    Abrn Hlls '98 - Clarkston 2 '03 - Grd Rpds '06 - Abrn Hlls '06 - Clvd '10 - PJ20 - Berlin 1+2 '12 - Wrigley '13 - Pitt '13- buff '13- Philly 1+2 '13 - Seattle '13
    Caveeze wrote:

What I am saying is it could be treated like shipping a package. they weigh the package, they give you a price to send it to its destination baised on the wieght. Treat humans and there baggage just like that. some will pay more, some will pay less. It would be fair.

i realize that's the idea, but I think they are trying to encourage people to be more fit, since people seem to be ezpanding.

All I'm saying is that a person who is 5'8" and 200 lbs would pay the same amount as a body builder who is 5'5" and weighs the same amount, except one is spilling over into the other seats and crowding out their seatmates. I don't think that is all that fair. It's called 'fat tax' not 'weight tax'.

But if airlines treated humans like packages...then would they offer 'free shipping' deals?

- Christopher McCandless
    RKCNDY wrote:
    would they offer 'free shipping' deals?

airlines...free :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    RKCNDY wrote:
    But if airlines treated humans like packages...then would they offer 'free shipping' deals?

I think you just stumbled onto a brilliant idea, there ... :think:
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,889
    Get_Right wrote:
    Negative.
    What about a 6'3" guy that weighs 240 and is physically fit?
    Do you really want airline staff making subjective decisions about your plane fare?
    Good point. I know a guy who is 6'10" and weight 350 pounds, and probably has 7% body fat. I think it's fair to make very large people pay for an extra seat if they really are big enough to disturb the person beside them and so need 2 seats - that just makes sense - but a weight tax is stupid and discriminatory. I myself am 5'10" with a large frame (and have some extra weight), but I'm not disturbing people in the seat next to me in an airplane. So why should I pay more than someone else who is skinny and 5'2"?? As long as you don't need 2 seats, the price should be the same for all.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    RKCNDY wrote:
    Caveeze wrote:

i realize that's the idea, but I think they are trying to encourage people to be more fit, since people seem to be ezpanding.

All I'm saying is that a person who is 5'8" and 200 lbs would pay the same amount as a body builder who is 5'5" and weighs the same amount, except one is spilling over into the other seats and crowding out their seatmates. I don't think that is all that fair. It's called 'fat tax' not 'weight tax'.

FINE!
    Can we at least all agree that fatasses should have to buy two seats? :lol:
    mca47 wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:
    Caveeze wrote:

FINE!

don't you have enough miles to upgrade to 1st class?
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,889
    mca47 wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:
    Caveeze wrote:

FINE!
    People who don't fit into one should definitely have to buy two.... isn't that already what's done?? They don't just give an extra seat to those who need it do they?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    81 wrote:

don't you have enough miles to upgrade to 1st class?
    Depends who I'm flying. I generally fly Southwest and US Air...both have hubs in Phoenix. Southwest doesn't have first class, but they have flights on the hour to the cities I work and I love Southwest for other reasons so they are my "go to" if I can.
    US Air does have first class but flying out of a hub doesn't help when it comes to upgrades. On any flight out of Phoenix, there are going to be at least 20 people on that flight with higher status than me. It happens every once in a while...mostly on connectors in other cities.
    I have little "cred" on the other airlines.
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    People who don't fit into one should definitely have to buy two.... isn't that already what's done?? They don't just give an extra seat to those who need it do they?
    It's extremely rare. I've only witnessed it once.
    When Kevin Smith vs Southwest happened, I think most people assumed it happened often...it doesn't. Fatties are constantly squeezing in and the airlines/flight attendants/gate staff don't seem to care or want to make an issue out of it.
  • donnaruhldonnaruhl Posts: 2,157
    It Won't Fly!!