Options

Wrigley Field - The Hype - Bigger than PJ20?

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,552
    PJ-Cubs wrote:
    Don't get me wrong, the TOTD reunion was cool, but I did not need like 8 TOTD songs across the 2 nights. I would have been fine with about 1/2 as many TOTD songs and more Pearl Jam.

I'm not going to tell you what you should or shouldn't like.

I don't know how many shows you've been to, but I could understand if someone hasn't seen Pearl Jam a lot that they would want more Pearl Jam. For me, I have been to a ton of shows and have heard most of the PJ songs at least 15-60 times each so not hearing what they would have replaced TOTD with doesn't bum me out at all.

I know how rare hearing TOTD live is and how hyped it would have been on the board if announced ahead of time that I just found it strange. We are 20 years into the band's career and they have released 100's of bootlegs. I would have just thought that the fan base is so saturated with PJ music from PJ radio to bootlegs to live shows to Ipods to computers that hearing something different like TOTD would have been viewed as awesome. After three songs it got old for people. I guess they just didn't like Cornell.
  • Options
    PJ-CubsPJ-Cubs Posts: 3,293
    PJ-Cubs wrote:
    Don't get me wrong, the TOTD reunion was cool, but I did not need like 8 TOTD songs across the 2 nights. I would have been fine with about 1/2 as many TOTD songs and more Pearl Jam.

I don't know how many shows you've been to, but I could understand if someone hasn't seen Pearl Jam a lot that they would want more Pearl Jam. For me, I have been to a ton of shows and have heard most of the PJ songs at least 15-60 times each so not hearing what they would have replaced TOTD with doesn't bum me out at all.

I know how rare hearing TOTD live is and how hyped it would have been on the board if announced ahead of time that I just found it strange. We are 20 years into the band's career and they have released 100's of bootlegs. I would have just thought that the fan base is so saturated with PJ music from PJ radio to bootlegs to live shows to Ipods to computers that hearing something different like TOTD would have been viewed as awesome. After three songs it got old for people. I guess they just didn't like Cornell.

Its not that I don't like Cornell, I would just rather heard Eddie sing a Pearl Jam song than hear some of the drawn-out TOTD songs that Cornell sang at PJ20.
  • Options
    PJ-Cubs wrote:
    PJ-Cubs wrote:

Its not that I don't like Cornell, I would just rather heard Eddie sing a Pearl Jam song than hear some of the drawn-out TOTD songs that Cornell sang at PJ20.

Reach Down per chance? Ha. I get it.
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479

Well, there are some folks who didn't like the Temple of the Dog reunion. Makes no sense to me why you would be mad that they play 4 Temple of the Dog songs two nights in a row.
    Count me as one of those.
    After seeing the vids and the setlists, I was very glad I did not trek out to wisconsin.

Although seeing gabby in the white pants karaoke light years might have been worth it. :mrgreen::lol:
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,214
    Get_Right wrote:

Well, there are some folks who didn't like the Temple of the Dog reunion. Makes no sense to me why you would be mad that they play 4 Temple of the Dog songs two nights in a row.
    After seeing the vids and the setlists, I was very glad I did not trek out to wisconsin.

Although seeing gabby in the white pants karaoke light years might have been worth it. :mrgreen::lol:
    you missed the hula hoop bikini girl.. 8-)
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    SVRDhand13 wrote:
    JimmyV wrote:
    SVRDhand13 wrote:
    Maybe one night of PJ20. One show can never top 2 shows.

But did night 1 completely live up to expectations? Many reports I have heard was that it was short, Cornell heavy, and slightly disappointing. Not sure on its own it would beat many shows each tour, let alone Wrigley.

Look at this run of 10 songs during Night 1 (Not For You is the only common song):

Faithfull
    Who You Are (not really played since 08 tour)
    Push Me, Pull Me (played less than 20 times ever)
    Setting Forth (first time played by Pearl Jam)
    Not For You
    In the Moonlight (first time played)
    Deep
    Help Help (not played in years)
    Breath
    Education (not played in years)

Plus open with Release. Plus play Mother Love Bones Stardog Champion!!! This show was insanely good and had very rare stuff. The people complaining about that show set their expectations too high.

Exactly. And short? Night 1 was like 2:45 and night 2 was like 3:00. You'll be lucky to get either of those at Wrigley. If there was one complaint about Night 1 - it was the abruptness it seemed to end. But, once one realizes it was really 1 (almost) 6 hour show with a break in between (I mean - they repeated 1 song!!!!!), you got the concept of the Night 1 "ending" (and the fact that while they broke the 11:30 curfew, 12:30 was clearly the negotiated stop time).

As you showed with that line, Wrigley won't even meet Night 1 (if you want to separate).

I also :lol: that folks complain about a TOTD reunion that included Stardog Champion and Call Me a Dog. You simply cannot make this shit up. 8 of 62 songs. :lol: That's the DOWN side.

Plus the one thing I find will be nearly impossible to EVER replicate is that, and I paraphrase/quote, "We could play pretty much anything and you f!*$ers would know the words."

Wrigley crowd will not be the same. Sorry. Stop the pissing contest already and simply enjoy what will be a tremendous show in a special venue.
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,334
    the better question is if the hype is bigger than the spectrum 4 night run in 2009.

tough for this band to ever top that.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    SVRDhand13 wrote:
    JimmyV wrote:

But did night 1 completely live up to expectations? Many reports I have heard was that it was short, Cornell heavy, and slightly disappointing. Not sure on its own it would beat many shows each tour, let alone Wrigley.

Look at this run of 10 songs during Night 1 (Not For You is the only common song):

Faithfull
    Who You Are (not really played since 08 tour)
    Push Me, Pull Me (played less than 20 times ever)
    Setting Forth (first time played by Pearl Jam)
    Not For You
    In the Moonlight (first time played)
    Deep
    Help Help (not played in years)
    Breath
    Education (not played in years)

Plus open with Release. Plus play Mother Love Bones Stardog Champion!!! This show was insanely good and had very rare stuff. The people complaining about that show set their expectations too high.

Exactly. And short? Night 1 was like 2:45 and night 2 was like 3:00. You'll be lucky to get either of those at Wrigley. If there was one complaint about Night 1 - it was the abruptness it seemed to end. But, once one realizes it was really 1 (almost) 6 hour show with a break in between (I mean - they repeated 1 song!!!!!), you got the concept of the Night 1 "ending" (and the fact that while they broke the 11:30 curfew, 12:30 was clearly the negotiated stop time).

As you showed with that line, Wrigley won't even meet Night 1 (if you want to separate).

I also :lol: that folks complain about a TOTD reunion that included Stardog Champion and Call Me a Dog. You simply cannot make this shit up. 8 of 62 songs. :lol: That's the DOWN side.

Plus the one thing I find will be nearly impossible to EVER replicate is that, and I paraphrase/quote, "We could play pretty much anything and you f!*$ers would know the words."

Wrigley crowd will not be the same. Sorry. Stop the pissing contest already and simply enjoy what will be a tremendous show in a special venue.

I agree with this. I loved PJ20 because it was weekend long event. I loved the opening bands and all of the special guests that came out with PJ and Eddie singing with The Strokes and Queens. That being said I love both of those bands. If you are not a fan of either, or don't like guests coming out to perform with PJ, then you would not have liked PJ20 as much. For me nothing will ever top it. Except maybe PJ30 and the Mirror Ball reunion!

As far as the hype. I think most of the hype surrounding Wrigley revolves around the ticketing process and not the show itself, at least a good part of it anyway.
    Forced to endure, what I cannot forgive.
  • Options
    Massara133Massara133 Stettler AB Canada Posts: 430
    Get_Right wrote:

You can't judge PJ20 by vids and setlists, it was the people and the atmosphere that made it incredible.
  • Options
    PJ-Cubs wrote:

I LOVED hearing Reach Down 8-) .

In the late 60s & throughout the 70s rock bands "THRIVED" on songs like Reach Down.

Ever hear of Zeppelin :roll:

As far as the "hype" goes, PJ 20 was about the "intimate" history of the band, including us crazy fans :crazy: , out in the middle of nowhere :fp:...... :lol:

Wrigley & it's faithful, is more for Ed & the town of Chicago's "everyday" music listener who just want to be there, have a good time & get Shit Faced :lol:
    So, What you Giving ?........ (Thanks Speedy, Alesek, & Arq+friends)
    What You Giving

I suggest you step out on your Porch.
    Run away my son. See it all. Oh, See the World!
  • Options
    PJ-Cubs wrote:

I LOVED hearing Reach Down 8-) .

In the late 60s & throughout the 70s rock bands "THRIVED" on songs like Reach Down.

Ever hear of Zeppelin :roll:

As far as the "hype" goes, PJ 20 was about the "intimate" history of the band, including us crazy fans :crazy: , out in the middle of nowhere :fp:...... :lol:

Wrigley & it's faithful, is more for Ed & the town of Chicago's "everyday" music listener who just want to be there, have a good time & get Shit Faced :lol:

I agree on all points. I liked hearing Reach Down twice but can understand the crowd that didn't who aren't into the long guitar solos.

For Wrigley, I think it is just going to be a party like you are saying.
  • Options
    I'm not sure about the whole hype thing. But I am 100% sure there will be a lot of casual and even non PJ "fans" at this show. I know at least 10-15 people myself who were never that big into PJ, yet for some reason, THIS SHOW they want to go to! And that's great, now they get to see what I love about them and hopefully they'll enjoy the show and get it. If anything, maybe it'll bring in some new fans. :) My brother wants to go but did not get tix yet. I'm sure he will find them. He made fun of me in HS for listening to PJ. In 2009 he went to his first PJ show though and really liked it. However I do not think he listens to them regularly like I do - maybe he would if I hooked him up w/ some boots. My step sister and her boyfriend are going. One of my best friends whom I have never heard listen to PJ got tix and is going - and never seemed interested in going with me to a show before. I can't tell you how many people who know i'm a huge fan were asking me if I got my tix and how excited they were to get tix. Luckily I got mine from the 10c lotto. I can't wait for this - even though there will be casual (fair-weather if you will) fans there, I'll be rockin it out with my fellow ten clubbers in my ten club seats. :)
    | valerie |

EXPAND YOUR ELEMENT!
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    Massara133 wrote:
    Get_Right wrote:

You can't judge PJ20 by vids and setlists, it was the people and the atmosphere that made it incredible.
    perhaps, but I go to pearl jam concerts for the music, not the atmosphere
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,645
    PJ-Cubs wrote:
    PJ-Cubs wrote:

I would personally kill to see 8 TOTD songs live!!!! I would have been stoked if I'd been there!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    There's probably more ticket demand for this show than any show in Pearl Jam history. Certainly, for any arena or stadium show. The proof is in the prices people are paying on Stubhub.com and eBay. $300 for terrible seats way, way, far away at poor angles.

I don't quite understand it. Yeah, the show will be great as always, and I am extremely grateful to have GA Pit tickets, but baseball stadiums are the absolute worst venues for concerts . . . most seats are terribly bad with poor sound. I guess just being able to say "I saw Pearl Jam at Wrigley" means a lot to even the casual fan. And I think expectations are huge that this will be a 40-song acoustic/electric type extavaganza.

NashvillePJfan Posts: 235Joined: 06 Jul 2005 18:48Location: Nashville, Tennessee
    I gather speed . . . Great Western Forum - Jul 13, 1998; Great Western Forum - Jul 14, 1998; Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre Irvine - Jun 02, 2003; Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre Irvine - Jun 03, 2003; Tweeter Center - Jul 11, 2003; Santa Barbara County Bowl - Oct 28, 2003; Gorge Amphitheatre - Sep 01, 2005; Pepsi Arena - May 12, 2006 Summerfest - Jun 29, 2006; The Forum - Jul 09, 2006; Aloha Stadium - Dec 09, 2006; Bonnaroo - Jun 14, 2008; Tweeter Center - Jun 28, 2008; Tweeter Center - Jun 30, 2008; United Center - Aug 23, 2009
    United Center - Aug 24, 2009; Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre Indiana -May 07, 2010; Madison Square Garden - May 20, 2010; Madison Square Garden - May 21, 2010
    EV Solo 2008: LA1, Boston 1, DC1
    EV Colo 2009: Nashville 1&2
    Dead Man Walking: The Concert: March 29, 1998
  • Options
    RF283878RF283878 Posts: 208
    Get_Right wrote:

HA I remember her, she was the one in the back, dancing around ...
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,214
    RF283878 wrote:

HA I remember her, she was the one in the back, dancing around ...
    8-)
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,944
    Wrigley gets Pearl Jam

Fenway gets Jay Z and Timberlake

Wrigley wins 2013

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    Mujtaba1Mujtaba1 Posts: 11
    Mujtaba1 wrote:
    Please if anyone has extra tickets for Wrigley Field so let me know as i am going to fly just for the concert all the way from New York.

ooooh.... "All the way from New York"

wow... that's like a what.... a whole 150 minute flight huh?? :mrgreen:

hahahaha... sorry... but I can't help it... earlier someone was saying how he's coming all the way from CT

when you've got people coming from greece and australia.... 6 states over isn't a big deal
    i have the tickets now :D
  • Options
    guacamolejoeguacamolejoe Posts: 2,396
    Mujtaba1 wrote:
    i have the tickets now :D

Glad you were able to score tickets :thumbup: . See you there :mrgreen:
    So, What you Giving ?........ (Thanks Speedy, Alesek, & Arq+friends)
    What You Giving

I suggest you step out on your Porch.
    Run away my son. See it all. Oh, See the World!
  • Options
    Haha see you there Mujtaba.

'Pillow Pants'... you're such a loveable asshole ;)
    -Chris
    Male, 34

I'm on Facebook - facebook.com/christopher.leesye1

1998 Brisbane 2
    2003 Brisbane 1
    2006 LA 1 & 2
    2008 LA 2, San Diego 1 (EV)
    2009 LA 1, 2, 3 & 4, San Diego
    2011 St. Louis (EV)
    2012 Tulsa 1 & 2 (EV)
    2013 Chicago, Dallas & OKC
  • Options
    rearviewrossrearviewross Posts: 3,055
    JimmyV wrote:
    Wrigley gets Pearl Jam

Fenway gets Jay Z and Timberlake

Wrigley wins 2013

I agree. My wife would not. Damn that Timberlake!!!!!! :evil: What does he have that I dont, besides everything.
    Forced to endure, what I cannot forgive.