Options

Wrigley Field - The Hype - Bigger than PJ20?

LeatherMosquitoManLeatherMosquitoMan Posts: 4,034
edited April 2013 in The Porch
I wasn't at PJ20... But i continue to read it didn't sell out..

For those who went... compared to this show (I have a ticket for Wrigley), does it seem bigger?

Chicago in July, first time ever at Wrigley, Eddie's home town, no opening band, overwhelming demand...

Are we in for one of the biggest shows ever? I think very possibly... I think the energy at this show will be second to none. Everybody seems to be coming from everywhere for this one.

Thoughts?
-Chris
Male, 34

I'm on Facebook - facebook.com/christopher.leesye1

1998 Brisbane 2
2003 Brisbane 1
2006 LA 1 & 2
2008 LA 2, San Diego 1 (EV)
2009 LA 1, 2, 3 & 4, San Diego
2011 St. Louis (EV)
2012 Tulsa 1 & 2 (EV)
2013 Chicago, Dallas & OKC
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    Are we in for one of the biggest shows ever?
    Fingers Crossed :thumbup: :D
  • Options
    I wasn't at PJ20... But i continue to read it didn't sell out..

For those who went... compared to this show (I have a ticket for Wrigley), does it seem bigger?

Chicago in July, first time ever at Wrigley, Eddie's home town, no opening band, overwhelming demand...

Are we in for one of the biggest shows ever? I think very possibly... I think the energy at this show will be second to none. Everybody seems to be coming from everywhere for this one.

Thoughts?

You are mistaken. Many more casual fans will be at Wrigley.

Will still be a great night, but no way it matches almost 6 hours of PJ plus the atmosphere of the weekend.
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883
    I'm not hyping this up to something it won't or can't be. I'd just be happy if it came close to cracking my top 10 shows I've been to. But I don't think it will, I just think it will just be a fun show.

Also, it would not surprise me if London turns out to be the better of the two in the long run.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    nop..not even close
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    I'm not hyping this up to something it won't or can't be. I'd just be happy if it came close to cracking my top 10 shows I've been to. But I don't think it will, I just think it will just be a fun show.

Also, it would not surprise me if London turns out to be the better of the two in the long run.
    Interesting.

Personally I thing Wrigley will be in the Top 5 performances in the history of the Band. I believe Wrigley is going to be 3 hours of just pure insanity. This show will compare to all of the Philly shows of 09 as far as setlists, this show will compare to State College in length, this show has a chance to be Pearl Jam at their very BEST!
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    I'm a TruckI'm a Truck Milwaukee Posts: 3,508
    Nothing will EVER be better the the Alpine weekend! Period! If you go into it with any type of expeditions you'll be sorely disappointed. Just like Missoula.
  • Options

Interesting.

Personally I thing Wrigley will be in the Top 5 performances in the history of the Band. I believe Wrigley is going to be 3 hours of just pure insanity. This show will compare to all of the Philly shows of 09 as far as setlists, this show will compare to State College in length, this show has a chance to be Pearl Jam at their very BEST!
    i agree with that as intresting setlist..
    from what i saw at 2012,really the band playing are at their best..
    but thatys it..3 hours..

pj20 weekend was away different ,unique thing
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    nop..not even close

Yep, what he said. Wrigley will be great and a memorable show, possibly historic in PJ terms but I doubt it will compare to PJ20. Even if you disregard the opening acts, which were incredible, and the museum and the side stages and everything else. PJ20 had a Temple of the Dog reunion! the special guests that came out(some dont like that. I think its awesome).

I think the hype for Wrigley is well deserved but it wont be better than PJ20, not even close.
    Forced to endure, what I cannot forgive.
  • Options
    nop..not even close

Yep, what he said. Wrigley will be great and a memorable show, possibly historic in PJ terms but I doubt it will compare to PJ20. Even if you disregard the opening acts, which were incredible, and the museum and the side stages and everything else. PJ20 had a Temple of the Dog reunion! the special guests that came out(some dont like that. I think its awesome).

I think the hype for Wrigley is well deserved but it wont be better than PJ20, not even close.
    it was everyones faces...THAT was the unique of pj20....that feeling you are at a party celebrating 20 years of your life
  • Options
    Nothing will EVER be better the the Alpine weekend! Period! If you go into it with any type of expeditions you'll be sorely disappointed. Just like Missoula.
    Wrigley
    A NIGHT WITH PEARL JAM
    Ed's hometown
    Ed's love for Wrigley and the Cubs
    I am sure this is a DREAM COME TRUE for Mr. Vedder.
    Summer night in Chicago
    Packed house of 40,000 fans.

This show could very well be "The Best of the Best"
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,922
    I have never had a single regret about skipping Alpine. Conversely, I never even considered skipping Wrigley. I don't know how the two events will compare but for me this is just much more exciting and in my wheelhouse.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    Wrigley
    A NIGHT WITH PEARL JAM
    Ed's hometown
    Summer night in Chicago

i agree with that ...

i hope they will not play theo setlist..lol
  • Options
    QuarterToTenQuarterToTen Cincinnati, Ohio Posts: 3,626
    edited February 2013
    In the eyes of the band, from their perspective alone, playing the legendary Wrigley FIeld has to be one of, if not their biggest, most significant show to date. Alpine will pale in comparison when it is all said and done.

From their perspective, and ours.

This show is ALREADY bigger than PJ20 judging from the demand for tickets and the speed at which
    each and every last one of those tickets was snatched up.

Wrigley Field will be one for the ages, with potential to be truly the greatest moment
    in Pearl Jam's history, and I would imagine they are just as excited as we are.

:P
    Post edited by QuarterToTen on
    Nice shirt.
  • Options
    and again,Alpine wasnt just a show...that the huge different..

if Wrigley will be a better show as show??as 3 hours??

sure, why not..
  • Options
    , and I would imagine they are just as excited as we are.

lets hope!!!lol

we are damn excited.. :mrgreen:
  • Options
    Wrigley will no doubt be legendary, but you can't compare it to Alpine Valley at all in my opinion. Alpine Valley was a 2-day music festival with numerous bands and 3 stages. The PJ boys were hopping on stage with all the acts to perform with them, and the acts would then hop on stage with PJ during their sets. Julian Casablancas for 'Red Mosquito', Josh Homme for 'In the Moonlight', Glen Hansard on stage for 'Smile', Liam Finn on stage for 'Habit' Eddie on stage with Strokes for 'Juicebox', Eddie on stage with Queens of Stone Age for 'Little Sister. Oh yeah, and did I mention that Alpine Valley had the 1st ever real Temple of the Dog reunion, where they played multiple songs from Temple of the Dog on both nights????? That was epic. Also, the Pearl Jam museum was unique and very cool to see, along with all the Poster exhibits.

And look at all these lesser-played songs that PJ played over the course of the days:
    - In the Moonlight (1st time ever played live)
    - Push Me, Pull Me
    - Help, Help
    - Breath
    - Education
    - Pilate
    - No Way

And for the 2nd day, they didn't repeat a single song from the 1st day. So if you went to both shows, you bascially got around 7 hours of a good chunk of the PJ catalogue. Also, 'Release' and 'Wash' were the openers, perfect.

Like I said, Wrigley will be good no doubt, and probably one of their greatest concerts ever. But you can't compare it to PJ20. Comparing apples and oranges. They're just not the same.
  • Options
    the hype is all the youngins on this board. PJ20 beats Wrigley all day every day.

My only hope is Chris Cornell comes out again so people can start whinning.... :lol:
  • Options
    the hype is all the youngins on this board. PJ20 beats Wrigley all day every day.

My only hope is Chris Cornell comes out again so people can start whinning.... :lol:
    :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • Options
    In the eyes of the band, from their perspective alone, playing the legendary Wrigley FIeld has to be one of, if not their biggest, most significant show to date. Alpine will pale in comparison when it is all said and done.

This show is ALREADY bigger than PJ20 judging from the demand for tickets and the speed at which

Wrigley Field will be one for the ages, with potential to be truly the greatest moment

If PJ20 were one day, it would have sold out too.
  • Options

Not 40,000 seats in 10 minutes.
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Wrigley
    A NIGHT WITH PEARL JAM
    Ed's hometown
    Summer night in Chicago

I completely agree...

The opening acoustic set alone will make this EPIC I say :mrgreen:
  • Options

if was NY,would sell in 10 seconds!!!

or Cincy.. :lol:
  • Options

Of course not, it took 3 days for the 10club to get their tickets sold :lol:

I think we can all agree that PJ20 was Epic and Wrigley will be as well. :D:D In the words of Bart Scott - Cant wait!
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117

The four show run at the spectrum was better then pj20 IMO

No guests... No museums... No gimmicks... Just pure fucking pearl jam straight to the veins for four shows in five days
  • Options

I think we can all agree that PJ20 was Epic and Wrigley will be as well. :D:D In the words of Bart Scott - Cant wait!
    EPIC!!!
    EPIC I SAY!!!!!
  • Options
    QuarterToTenQuarterToTen Cincinnati, Ohio Posts: 3,626

Maybe, but we'll never know.

And if judging by the posts made here since the public onsale, the majority of the fans are completely shocked as to how quickly the tickets went and even more perplexed as to how many were completely shut out.

That didn't happen at any point, with either day for PJ20, nowhere even close.
    I think we are all a bit shocked as to the popularity of this show.

40,000 tickets totally gone, 5 months prior to the show?
    We nor the band expected such a frenzy.

It's great isn't it?

Nice shirt.
  • Options
    SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,804
    edited February 2013

And if judging by the posts made here since the public onsale, the majority of the fans are completely shocked as to how quickly the tickets went and even more perplexed as to how many were completely shut out.

It's great isn't it?

How many Pearl Jam shows have you been to with 40,000 screaming fans?

Exactly

Wrigley will be FUCKING INSANE!!!!!
  • Options

EPIC!!!
    EPIC I SAY!!!!!
    :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:
  • Options

It's great isn't it?

WHO GIVES A FUCK...ILL JUMP DURING ANIMAL LIKE FUCKIN CRAZY POINTING AT YOU

FUCK YEAH... :D:D:D
  • Options
    100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,525
    I easily passed up on PJ20 @ Alpine Valley and have no regrets.

I won't be passing up on PJ @ Wrigley Field.
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore