Options

Wrigley Field - The Hype - Bigger than PJ20?

Comments

• Options
    PillowPantsPillowPants Posts: 4,873
    JimmyV wrote:
    Alpine took so long to be announced that I got frustrated by the whole thing. I love the way Wrigley just came out of nowhere. Plus this is right in the city while East Troy might as well have been East Timbuktu as far as I knew. This is happening in mid-summer while Alpine happened over Labor Day which was no good for my travelling companion.

This is is just better all around for me.

it's all about you isn't it ;) hahahaha

pj20 was a mess... but it was well worth it ... other than cornell ruining night 2 ;)
  • Options
    Stoneman21Stoneman21 Michigan Posts: 30
    JimmyV wrote:
    Wasn't Toronto a week later bigger than Alpine?

I specifically chose Toronto over Alpine since I knew I couldn't do both...and I thought it was unbelievable. Plus we also got to be the first to see PJ20 in between both shows and Ed shows up to the Ryerson theater for the Q&A!
    2009 - Philly Spectrum3 10/30
    2010 - MSG1 5/20
    2011 - EV Beacon1 6/21, EV Tower 6/25, Toronto 9/11, Toronto 9/12
    2013 - Wrigley 7/19, Philly1 10/21, Philly2 10/22
  • Options
    Stoneman21 wrote:
    JimmyV wrote:
    Wasn't Toronto a week later bigger than Alpine?

I specifically chose Toronto over Alpine since I knew I couldn't do both...and I thought it was unbelievable. Plus we also got to be the first to see PJ20 in between both shows and Ed shows up to the Ryerson theater for the Q&A!

i did both... they were all great shows
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,214
    Boston will be the best show ever!!!!!!!!!!
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,941

:D

Wrigley is a dress rehearsal for Fenway. (ducks and covers)

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    JimmyV wrote:

:D

Wrigley is a dress rehearsal for Fenway. (ducks and covers)
    those warm ups are for that :mrgreen:
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    Please if anyone has extra tickets for Wrigley Field so let me know as i am going to fly just for the concert all the way from New York.
  • Options
    Mujtaba1 wrote:
    Please if anyone has extra tickets for Wrigley Field so let me know as i am going to fly just for the concert all the way from New York.

My buddy Stub has a few.
    Forced to endure, what I cannot forgive.
  • Options
    Tboz51Tboz51 Posts: 2,808
    I guess then it is a wait and see... If the open with Dirty Frank I will have a definite answer.
    "Honesty will always be construed as negative to a dumbass"
    :-)
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,320
    The shows never live up to the hype we as fan make it out to be , it's the shows noone talks about before them that turn out to be those so called classics who here can remember the hype before Penn State i can't you know why there wasn't any it just happened ......By the time this thread reaches 15pgs the show will be a 4hr marathon ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    Mujtaba1 wrote:

ooooh.... "All the way from New York"

wow... that's like a what.... a whole 150 minute flight huh?? :mrgreen:

hahahaha... sorry... but I can't help it... earlier someone was saying how he's coming all the way from CT

when you've got people coming from greece and australia.... 6 states over isn't a big deal
  • Options

when you've got people coming from greece and australia.... 6 states over isn't a big deal
    crazy people!!
  • Options
    The shows never live up to the hype we as fan make it out to be , it's the shows noone talks about before them that turn out to be those so called classics who here can remember the hype before Penn State i can't you know why there wasn't any it just happened ......By the time this thread reaches 15pgs the show will be a 4hr marathon ..

jose jose jose... stop talking sense.... don't you know that eddie is from chicago?? and that there's a baseball team that sucks and they play in this building... that just means that it will be 5 hours with special appearances from jesus christ AND santa claus!!!!

don't pay attention to the fact that this isn't a full tour and just 2 shows... the band doesn't need shows to get into the swing of things... i mean Eddie has never said on stage that the first couple of shows should be free because of the rust... no no no

oh and if they happen to play some shit song like bugs or dirty frank then that just makes it the best show eva eva eva eva!!!!

:fp:

you going buddy?? ;)
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,320

jose jose jose... stop talking sense.... don't you know that eddie is from chicago?? and that there's a baseball team that sucks and they play in this building... that just means that it will be 5 hours with special appearances from jesus christ AND santa claus!!!!

don't pay attention to the fact that this isn't a full tour and just 2 shows... the band doesn't need shows to get into the swing of things... i mean Eddie has never said on stage that the first couple of shows should be free because of the rust... no no no

oh and if they happen to play some shit song like bugs or dirty frank then that just makes it the best show eva eva eva eva!!!!

:fp:

you going buddy?? ;)

:lol::lol::lol: Will see as of now i don't have a ticket ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    the hype isnt bigger than pj20 if that is the question

I would venture to say the show itself will likely be better, as I would rank Hamilton '11 that I went to better than either of the PJ20 Pearl Jam sets (standing alone). I respect the history of it and everything, but ToTD broke the momentum for both shows.

But I dont think its possible to predict "epic" shows. They always come out of left field (no pun intended). Philly 3, Penn State, Hartford 08, etc

I remember before Boston I 04, we all thought that would be a classic and it ended up being largely a greatest hits special.
  • Options
    MayDay10 wrote:
    the hype isnt bigger than pj20 if that is the question

I would venture to say the show itself will likely be better, as I would rank Hamilton '11 that I went to better than either of the PJ20 Pearl Jam sets (standing alone). I respect the history of it and everything, but ToTD broke the momentum for both shows.

But I dont think its possible to predict "epic" shows. They always come out of left field (no pun intended). Philly 3, Penn State, Hartford 08, etc

I remember before Boston I 04, we all thought that would be a classic and it ended up being largely a greatest hits special.

I think the PJ20 shows kind of felt more like a jam with friends, if that makes sense. The friends being the audience as well. Kind of like a basement party with 30K people.
  • Options
    BrandonBrandon Posts: 157
    hype ... its just that.

i got super hyped over the last nyc shows, and i did enjoy them but it was, what it was. hype.
    i've had more fun at other pearl jam shows.

not to say hype is bad, getting hyped on something i think does elevate everything. especially since pj won't disappoint.

i had a great time at alpine valley and really liked the sound for that outdoor venue.

i'm not sure if a ballpark is going to have the same effect. plus wrigley is a really old facility (meaning services and the ability to cater to people is outdated)...

i thought about trying to get tix for a long time, and decided to visit wrigley again this year to watch day baseball... instead of pearl jam... if i had the cash, for sure id go to every show, but i can spread my money out better hitting a couple of west coast dates.

in the end, the biggest show ever might be the best ever, but for me my favorites happen a bit more at random and is not related to hype.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,552
    I wasn't at PJ20... But i continue to read it didn't sell out..

For those who went... compared to this show (I have a ticket for Wrigley), does it seem bigger?

Chicago in July, first time ever at Wrigley, Eddie's home town, no opening band, overwhelming demand...

Are we in for one of the biggest shows ever? I think very possibly... I think the energy at this show will be second to none. Everybody seems to be coming from everywhere for this one.

Thoughts?

You are mistaken. Many more casual fans will be at Wrigley.

Will still be a great night, but no way it matches almost 6 hours of PJ plus the atmosphere of the weekend.

Agreed. I think London will be the show for the hardcore PJ fans and Wrigley will be a better experience due to location but perhaps not as good a setlist (if you aren't as much into the hits at this point).
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,137
    Ok, with all this speculation, let me ask you all this... how many thought State College was going to get that crazy long show?

Ok then, so we all agree, no one here knows shit about what shows are going to be better than others. ;)
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Ok, with all this speculation, let me ask you all this... how many thought State College was going to get that crazy long show?

Ok then, so we all agree, no one here knows shit about what shows are going to be better than others. ;)

And besides, if it's like everything else that's gone on in that stadium for over 100 years, it's a loser. :lol:
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Options
    rockpantsrockpants BC Posts: 838
    rydsande wrote:
    You never know...

The stage is set for a good show. Friday night, in Chicago, a one-off show, family ties to the city...

Sha-la-la-laaaaaaaaa.

alex-p-keaton-large.jpg
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,466
    The question isn't what are they are going to play, but what aren't they going to play!
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    Rossum20Rossum20 Posts: 910
    Yep, enjoy your hype for a baseball stadium show...a venue built for sports without any consideration for sound quality. On paper its far more attractive than the actuality of it....but by no means that it won't be a great time, as most shows are. If I were a Cubs fan I would be unbelievably excited about it, I only have to imagine a show being played at Lambeau Field to understand that. However if someone gave me a choice to have a show at Lambeau or a show at Alpine Valley, it's not even something I'd sit and ponder - it's Alpine Valley all day long. It's a venue designed for music - something I care more about than a lot of you, apparently.

It also reminds me of some friends ive made overseas over the years who will come to the US and will do whatever they can to visit every city they can in 7 or 8 days. Theyll go to 5 cities in 8 days just to "say" they visited all those places....they like to hype their trip and try to convince themselves and their friends how incredible there trip was. Meanwhile, they barely scratched the surface of those places and wasted a boatload of money. But hey, to each their own. If some of you want to play the "I didn't go to Alpine Valley and I don't regret it" card, thats fine. I'd want to convince myself that I didn't miss anything special either. Except you did. While there are thousands of fans who have seen more shows than I have, I've been lucky enough to see the band 26 times over the past decade across Canada, the US, and Europe, and Alpine Valley was a home run. That overall experience of that weekend puts it at the top. It's hilarious that some of you think that Wrigley is poised to be better than that....but again, that doesn't mean it won't be a great show: it will. The criteria for a good show is crowd energy? Try South America.

I honestly couldn't be happier for the hype of the Wrigley show...it allowed me to score a pair of London tickets. A 10,000 seat venue or 40,000 seat stadium....enjoy your cracker jacks! ;)
  • Options
    Rossum20 wrote:
    Yep, enjoy your hype for a baseball stadium show...a venue built for sports without any consideration for sound quality. On paper its far more attractive than the actuality of it....but by no means that it won't be a great time, as most shows are. If I were a Cubs fan I would be unbelievably excited about it, I only have to imagine a show being played at Lambeau Field to understand that. However if someone gave me a choice to have a show at Lambeau or a show at Alpine Valley, it's not even something I'd sit and ponder - it's Alpine Valley all day long. It's a venue designed for music - something I care more about than a lot of you, apparently.

It also reminds me of some friends ive made overseas over the years who will come to the US and will do whatever they can to visit every city they can in 7 or 8 days. Theyll go to 5 cities in 8 days just to "say" they visited all those places....they like to hype their trip and try to convince themselves and their friends how incredible there trip was. Meanwhile, they barely scratched the surface of those places and wasted a boatload of money. But hey, to each their own. If some of you want to play the "I didn't go to Alpine Valley and I don't regret it" card, thats fine. I'd want to convince myself that I didn't miss anything special either. Except you did. While there are thousands of fans who have seen more shows than I have, I've been lucky enough to see the band 26 times over the past decade across Canada, the US, and Europe, and Alpine Valley was a home run. That overall experience of that weekend puts it at the top. It's hilarious that some of you think that Wrigley is poised to be better than that....but again, that doesn't mean it won't be a great show: it will. The criteria for a good show is crowd energy? Try South America.

I honestly couldn't be happier for the hype of the Wrigley show...it allowed me to score a pair of London tickets. A 10,000 seat venue or 40,000 seat stadium....enjoy your cracker jacks! ;)

I totally agree with you... Wrigley is going to ROCK!!!
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    on2legs wrote:
    Rossum20 wrote:

I totally agree with you... Wrigley is going to ROCK!!![/quote

:lol::lol:
  • Options

And it was also in the middle of a 70+ show tour
    -Chris
    Male, 34

I'm on Facebook - facebook.com/christopher.leesye1

1998 Brisbane 2
    2003 Brisbane 1
    2006 LA 1 & 2
    2008 LA 2, San Diego 1 (EV)
    2009 LA 1, 2, 3 & 4, San Diego
    2011 St. Louis (EV)
    2012 Tulsa 1 & 2 (EV)
    2013 Chicago, Dallas & OKC
  • Options
    Well, i started this thread to obviously see both sides of the argument, but to also build my own excitement for this show. It succeeded.

I'm fucking thrilled to be going. And i'm riding the hype wave to the very end.

Only 158 more long ass days...
    -Chris
    Male, 34

I'm on Facebook - facebook.com/christopher.leesye1

1998 Brisbane 2
    2003 Brisbane 1
    2006 LA 1 & 2
    2008 LA 2, San Diego 1 (EV)
    2009 LA 1, 2, 3 & 4, San Diego
    2011 St. Louis (EV)
    2012 Tulsa 1 & 2 (EV)
    2013 Chicago, Dallas & OKC
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,941

I'm fucking thrilled to be going. And i'm riding the hype wave to the very end.

Wiser words have never been said. I am right there with you!

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    iwasatpj20iwasatpj20 Rockford, IL Posts: 3,313
    I don't think so, but I was at PJ20. I never thought Alpine Valley was going to sell out anyway, just because of so much room in the grassy area for people to be in.
    2000 - Chicago, IL
    2003 - Champaign, IL
    2006 - Chicago, IL 1 & 2
    2007 - Chicago, IL Lollapalooza
    2009 - Chicago, IL 1 & 2
    2010 - St. Louis, MO
    2011 - East Troy, WI 1 & 2 (PJ20 Destination Weekend)
    2012 - Atlanta, GA, Missoula, MT
    2013 - Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field), Dallas, TX, Oklahoma City, OK
    2014 - St. Louis, MO, Tulsa, OK, Moline, IL (No Code, IL), Saint Paul, MN, Milwaukee, WI (Yield, WI)
    2016 - Greenville, SC (Vs, SC), Raleigh, NC, Columbia, SC, Boston, MA (Fenway Park 1), Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2)
    2018 - Seattle, WA (Safeco Field 2), Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2), Boston, MA (Fenway Park 2)
    2020 - Nashville, TN, St. Louis, MO, Oklahoma City, OK, Phoenix, AZ, ??
    2022 - Nashville, TN, St. Louis, MO, Oklahoma City, OK, Phoenix, AZ, Las Vegas, NV
    2023 - St. Paul, MN 2, Fort Worth, TX 2, Austin, TX 1, and Austin, TX 2
    2024 - Portland, OR and Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2)

2012 - Temple of the Dog East Troy, WI (PJ20 Destination Weekend)
    2014 - Soundgarden Tinley Park, IL (with Nine Inch Nails)
    2014 - Alice in Chains Davenport, IA
    2016 - Chris Cornell Solo Madison, WI and Peoria, IL (official hometown show)
    2016 - Temple of the Dog San Francisco, CA (both shows)
    2017 - Soundgarden Dallas (cancelled) RIP Chris Cornell
    2018 - Smashing Pumpkins Chicago, IL (first show)
    2019 - Alice in Chains Milwaukee, WI
    2022 - Jerry Cantrell Chicago, IL
    2023 - Jerry Cantrell Milwaukee, WI

RIP Andrew Wood, Kurt Cobain, Layne Staley, and Chris Cornell

RIP Mom (may your star shine the brightest in the sky, our family loves and misses you very much, we'll meet again)

• Options
    iwasatpj20 wrote:
    I don't think so, but I was at PJ20. I never thought Alpine Valley was going to sell out anyway, just because of so much room in the grassy area for people to be in.

Wrigley Field has a pretty big grassy area too. And it sold out :fp: