Options

Wrigley Field - The Hype - Bigger than PJ20?

Comments

• Options
    a show in the middle of nowhere with 2 nights to choose from - with an enormous lawn/ga area- thats why PJ20 didn't sell out

how can we compare something that happened to something that hasnt happened? and why bother?

every show has the potential to be great... and after the show lots of people will call it epic... some will bitch about the lack of pizza and some won't care

i think the wrigley/hometown thing is getting overhyped - who cares? you think mike or stone care that it's at wrigley field? and the way Ed switches allegiances - it just doesn't matter.... oh and just wait till you see all the geniuses complaining how ballparks aren't made for rock shows and how the sound sucked

every show in a populated area also has high demand... especially when situated on a weekend day... even more so in the summer.... even more so after a long break from actual touring... this show is no different than the last 40 in NYC, Boston, Philly, LA, or Chicago
    now find me GA tickets so we party Amsterdam style!!!!

DAM 2....best show ever..

Only difference........No Bulldog :think:
    Although there always seems to be a cloud of smoke around me :mrgreen:
    So, What you Giving ?........ (Thanks Speedy, Alesek, & Arq+friends)
    What You Giving

I suggest you step out on your Porch.
    Run away my son. See it all. Oh, See the World!
  • Options
    tater926tater926 Posts: 263
    I don't think anything could come close to the pj20 weekend. The weekend as a whole was simply unbelievable.
    United Center-Jun 29 1998 Alpine Valley-Oct 8 2000
    Assembly Hall-Apr 23 2003 Alpine Valley-Jun 21 2003
    Grant Park-Aug 5 2007 United Center-Aug 23 2009
    United Center-Aug 24 2009 Alpine Valley-Sep 3 2011
    Alpine Valley-Sep 4 2011 Wrigley Field-Jul 19 2013
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,214
    a show in the middle of nowhere with 2 nights to choose from - with an enormous lawn/ga area- thats why PJ20 didn't sell out

how can we compare something that happened to something that hasnt happened? and why bother?

every show has the potential to be great... and after the show lots of people will call it epic... some will bitch about the lack of pizza and some won't care

i think the wrigley/hometown thing is getting overhyped - who cares? you think mike or stone care that it's at wrigley field? and the way Ed switches allegiances - it just doesn't matter.... oh and just wait till you see all the geniuses complaining how ballparks aren't made for rock shows and how the sound sucked

every show in a populated area also has high demand... especially when situated on a weekend day... even more so in the summer.... even more so after a long break from actual touring... this show is no different than the last 40 in NYC, Boston, Philly, LA, or Chicago

im not saying Anything :mrgreen:
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    tater926 wrote:
    I don't think anything could come close to the pj20 weekend. The weekend as a whole was simply unbelievable.
    yeah..its really 2 different things...

but.,.we gonna have fun!!!!!!!!
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    PillowPantsPillowPants Posts: 4,873
    Wrigley
    A NIGHT WITH PEARL JAM
    Ed's hometown
    Ed's love for Wrigley and the Cubs
    I am sure this is a DREAM COME TRUE for Mr. Vedder.
    Summer night in Chicago
    Packed house of 40,000 fans.

This show could very well be "The Best of the Best"

My gut tells me you're joking in your attempt to hype this

Pearl Jam, Summer Friday Night and 40,000 people are the factors that will decide if this is a show or not -- yes it will be cool to walk into Wrigley but once pearl jam starts playing it's just going to be a backdrop ... when the belt out Porch I'm not going to tweak my nipples extra hard just because I can see Boom smoking a joint hidden in the ivy?

I'm sure it's special for you cubs fans... and that will help the energy... but how many whitesox fans will be there? or others from the midwest who think wrigleys a toilet trough?
    maybe I'd be more excited if I hadn't been to wrigley already ... i don't know...

i'm excited for the show... very excited... i just find the hype annoying... sort of like rainbows ;)
  • Options
    tater926 wrote:

True, and HELL YEAH!!!! :D:D

The OP question was actually if the HYPE is bigger than for PJ20. Not weather the shows will be better. That is a tough one to call. There was ticket controversy with both. That much is for sure.
    Forced to endure, what I cannot forgive.
  • Options
    Good morning.
    Good points.
    And I cant argue with any of this.
    Now get your damned ticket!
    See You in Chi-Town!

damn you!! i wanted a pissing match ;)

i probably have a ticket... just need to book a flight

any opinion on Hyatt on Wacker?
  • Options

we can make it happen ;)
  • Options
    Good morning.
    Good points.
    See You in Chi-Town!

I know damned well you wanted a pissing match!
    But I cant argue with you here.
    All in all, its just another show. We all feel are hometown shows will be special.

Hyatt on Wacker?
    Its a long way for me to drive to pick you up, bring ya back to my place Saturday, and drink booze and grill steaks!
    Buts its a REAL FUCKING NICE Hotel!
    Go For It!!!
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    tater926tater926 Posts: 263
    tater926 wrote:

Damn straight!
    United Center-Jun 29 1998 Alpine Valley-Oct 8 2000
    Assembly Hall-Apr 23 2003 Alpine Valley-Jun 21 2003
    Grant Park-Aug 5 2007 United Center-Aug 23 2009
    United Center-Aug 24 2009 Alpine Valley-Sep 3 2011
    Alpine Valley-Sep 4 2011 Wrigley Field-Jul 19 2013
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,466
    As an event: PJ20 > Wrigley
    As a concert: Wrigley > PJ20
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    on2legs wrote:

I can get on board with that, maybe. We will see.
  • Options
    RC153010RC153010 Posts: 864
    Pj 20 had the lawn. That's why I I'd not sell out. Who the hell wants to travel 100o of miles to sit on lawn. All those seats were filled so technically a sell out
  • Options
    JimmyV wrote:
    I have never had a single regret about skipping Alpine. Conversely, I never even considered skipping Wrigley. I don't know how the two events will compare but for me this is just much more exciting and in my wheelhouse.

what makes them different for you?
  • Options

we can make it happen ;)
    :mrgreen:
  • Options
    on2legs wrote:

I can get on board with that, maybe. We will see.

My thinking is that Wrigley couldn't approach the uniqueness of PJ20 and all that came with it (museum, other bands, special guests, charging stations). PJ20 is the bigger event.

But Wrigley should blow the doors off in terms of energy. Its all PJ. Special Guests are great but they tend to kill the momentum and muddy the focus of the band. Anything approaching 3 hours of pure PJ at Wrigley will eclipse PJ20 as a concert.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    please get back to me in June
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,137
    Interesting.

Personally I thing Wrigley will be in the Top 5 performances in the history of the Band. I believe Wrigley is going to be 3 hours of just pure insanity. This show will compare to all of the Philly shows of 09 as far as setlists, this show will compare to State College in length, this show has a chance to be Pearl Jam at their very BEST!

I think Wrigley is going to replace Cincy for Speedy hatred.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Interesting.

Personally I thing Wrigley will be in the Top 5 performances in the history of the Band. I believe Wrigley is going to be 3 hours of just pure insanity. This show will compare to all of the Philly shows of 09 as far as setlists, this show will compare to State College in length, this show has a chance to be Pearl Jam at their very BEST!

:lol::lol::lol:
  • Options
    Interesting.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
  • Options
    Interesting.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
    :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • Options
    Fuck Cincy!
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,137
    Fuck Cincy!

Send pictures first!!! And ladies only please! But thanks for the help Speedy! ;)
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Fuck Cincy!

Send pictures first!!! And ladies only please! But thanks for the help Speedy! ;)

:lol::lol:
  • Options
    CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Portland, Maine Posts: 2,925
    Well if it's one thing that we as PJ fans know how to do, it's to overhype shows. People were upset after all the MSG shows, people were upset after the 4 Philly shows, people were upset after PJ20. And I guarantee people will be upset/letdown after Wrigley. Either the band won't play for 3hrs, there will be no/too many special guests, not rare enough/too many rare songs, ect.

People's expectations get way too high for these shows. Honest question. What if Wrigley is just a standard, 2.5hr show with a normal setlist? Maybe 2-3 songs that don't always show up. I know that some will be happy, because the venue alone should make it fun, but I promise you that some people will lose their shit.
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,941
    JimmyV wrote:
    I have never had a single regret about skipping Alpine. Conversely, I never even considered skipping Wrigley. I don't know how the two events will compare but for me this is just much more exciting and in my wheelhouse.

what makes them different for you?

Alpine took so long to be announced that I got frustrated by the whole thing. I love the way Wrigley just came out of nowhere. Plus this is right in the city while East Troy might as well have been East Timbuktu as far as I knew. This is happening in mid-summer while Alpine happened over Labor Day which was no good for my travelling companion.

This is is just better all around for me.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    You never know...

The stage is set for a good show. Friday night, in Chicago, a one-off show, family ties to the city...

You see this kind of debate crop up all the time in DMB community (let's not start comparing and contrasting bands, not the point), a band the tours frequently and will insert these one-off shows that get hyped to a ridiculous level that frequently does not pay off. Actually, the DMB shows at Wrigley were probably over-hyped for what they ended up being.

Just hope for a really good show and maybe if we are lucky we see something special.
  • Options
    Well if it's one thing that we as PJ fans know how to do, it's to overhype shows. People were upset after all the MSG shows, people were upset after the 4 Philly shows, people were upset after PJ20. And I guarantee people will be upset/letdown after Wrigley. Either the band won't play for 3hrs, there will be no/too many special guests, not rare enough/too many rare songs, ect.

People's expectations get way too high for these shows. Honest question. What if Wrigley is just a standard, 2.5hr show with a normal setlist? Maybe 2-3 songs that don't always show up. I know that some will be happy, because the venue alone should make it fun, but I promise you that some people will lose their shit.

Good points. As long as they bring the energy I'll be very happy. Can't wait to get to Wrigley.

• Options
    Good morning.
    Good points.
    See You in Chi-Town!

I know damned well you wanted a pissing match!
    But I cant argue with you here.
    All in all, its just another show. We all feel are hometown shows will be special.

Hyatt on Wacker?
    Its a long way for me to drive to pick you up, bring ya back to my place Saturday, and drink booze and grill steaks!
    Buts its a REAL FUCKING NICE Hotel!
    Go For It!!!

hahaha... booze and steaks huh... will there be a creed cover band? ;)

i hope to be surprised by the chicago crowd... i went into philly thinking that their crowd wouldn't stand up to bostons crowd and each time i find myself thinking that philly is just as good if not better some nights... maybe it's the extra crime in camden that makes those shows special ;)
  • Options
    i think i said the word Wrigley more than the word Fuck lately...
    what the fuck...Wrigley