Options

Wrigley Field - The Hype - Bigger than PJ20?

Comments

• Options

I wonder if its because (for ATL and Soldier Field) people have had these bootlegs for so long. Both were on the radio and widely available when a lot of PJ boots were not available. The band was at it's peak and these shows have stood the test of time over the years. I think they remain high on everyone's list due to the nostalgia people feel when listening to these shows and thinking about them.

I'll be honest, I saw them on the Yield tour and thought they were very good. I've seen them lately and thought they were 1000 times better. I don't know. I think it's the fish story and only we were there mentality and we were there when that leaves those shows up there (And the limited bootleg thing where we all had those shows, so it was a shared experience even if it wasn't truly shared). Clearly, Ed was crazier then. But, I'm not sure the shows were better. I'm sure I'm in the minority, but even from the boots, I think they are better now than they ever were. Mike's a better guitarist, Jeff's a better bassist. I'm partial to Matt. Ed may not be as crazy as he was which definitely would have added to the older shows, but he's definitely a better VOCALIST now (if you know what I mean). Stone's Stone and Boom adds to the live show b/c they can do more with a properly used keyboard.

As with most professionals, they get better at their craft which includes "putting on a show."

So, yeah if you want to see Eddie scare Mike half to death, then go with the '90s. But, personally, I think they are a better overall entertainment value now because they are better at what they do. (Though no doubt the '91-'92 period would be awesome just because of the size of venues they were in. But, I'm not sure they were a better BAND back then. Oh, how I'd love to see any version of them in a bar. That must have been awesome for the "on the cusp" feeling).

I mean does anyone think Mike did better solos in 1992 than he does now?

how is ed a better vocalist?

his voice, now, is a shell of it's former self.

I was thinking the same thing.
    Forced to endure, what I cannot forgive.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,552
    Ed is a better singer now (as far as technique) and perhaps could have saved his voice if he knew the techniques he knows now. He still has a good voice overall (it fits his solo tour greatly), but I feel like he is starting to struggle with more songs each tour. For example, Given to Fly on the 2012 Euro tour was pretty rough during the choruses which hasn't always been the case. I don't understand how some people refuse to admit this, but it is true. The dude is in his late 40's so it can be expected. Nothing wrong with that.

The good thing though is who the hell cares when you are at the show? Everything sounds great at the show.
  • Options
    PJ-CubsPJ-Cubs Posts: 3,293
    If the band does an acoustic pre-set, limits the number of special guests and plays a high-energy 3+ hour show, then it will easily top PJ20.
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,137
    Just curious what people think "epic" is. Is it show length, rarities, acoustic set, the energy of the crowd and band, etc..?

My expectation is a 3.25 hour show beginning at 8:15 (pull a Springsteen and come out 45 minutes after the scheduled start) and ending at 11:30. It will be epic because of the environment and the energy of the crowd and the band. I think it will be one of the "good time" shows where everyone is smiling. I'm not expecting a Vic style setlist or even a Philly IV 2009 setlist. I think this occassion is a party and you play the hits and upbeat songs at parties. I don't think Wrigley is the place to break out Fatal or Around the Bend.

Well, I've got my prediction on record.
    energy of the crowd and band at an unique ,historical venue,or a historical moment at bands career

oh and when Eddie speaks Greek...he did it once in 22 years..

EPIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yup, but he only did it to scold a bad Greek crowd. If I remember right the exact quote in perfect Greek...

"Why now you no cheering?"
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,214
    Just curious what people think "epic" is. Is it show length, rarities, acoustic set, the energy of the crowd and band, etc..?

My expectation is a 3.25 hour show beginning at 8:15 (pull a Springsteen and come out 45 minutes after the scheduled start) and ending at 11:30. It will be epic because of the environment and the energy of the crowd and the band. I think it will be one of the "good time" shows where everyone is smiling. I'm not expecting a Vic style setlist or even a Philly IV 2009 setlist. I think this occassion is a party and you play the hits and upbeat songs at parties. I don't think Wrigley is the place to break out Fatal or Around the Bend.

Well, I've got my prediction on record.
    energy of the crowd and band at an unique ,historical venue,or a historical moment at bands career

oh and when Eddie speaks Greek...he did it once in 22 years..

EPIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yup, but he only did it to scold a bad Greek crowd. If I remember right the exact quote in perfect Greek...

"Why now you no cheering?"
    there is no such thing called bad Greek crowd.. ;)
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,943
    PJ-Cubs wrote:
    If the band does an acoustic pre-set, limits the number of special guests and plays a high-energy 3+ hour show, then it will easily top PJ20.

These are the three elements I most hope this show will have.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    Leofish2Leofish2 Posts: 138
    PJ-Cubs wrote:

:thumbup:
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,903
    PJ-Cubs wrote:

Maybe one night of PJ20. One show can never top 2 shows.
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options
    SVRDhand13 wrote:
    PJ-Cubs wrote:

But did night 1 completely live up to expectations? Many reports I have heard was that it was short, Cornell heavy, and slightly disappointing. Not sure on its own it would beat many shows each tour, let alone Wrigley.

• Options
    And this is all just for the sake of discussion and debate. Nothing that happens at Wrigley should take away from anyone's memories of or experiences at Alpine.

• Options
    Blind3Blind3 Posts: 1,149
    PJ 20 was an amazing festival and celebration of PJ culminating with two amazing sets of music. Wrigley Field has the potential to be like the great experiment at Mansfield or the one at Gorge 05 ; an incredible leave fans bouncing off the walls PJ night , but not a festival. I'd love to experience another Gorge '05 , complete with accoustic sun-set .
    "Buy the ticket,take the ride"
    Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"If I wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better"
    Johan Cruijff
  • Options
    JimmyV wrote:
    And this is all just for the sake of discussion and debate. Nothing that happens at Wrigley should take away from anyone's memories of or experiences at Alpine.
    ofcourse..cant do it!!this is new thing now..and we gonna have new fun!!
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,641
    edited February 2013
    I wasn't at PJ20, and haven't yet seen the show at Wrigley, but PJ20 was basically full of dedicated fans, while Wrigley won't be. So the crowd won't be like that. Anyway, doesn't matter since I see non reason to compare. Wrigley will be awesome; lots of partying! Ed will be living what has probably been a lifelong dream, so will likely be on fire. Who knows what the set list will be like, but it's pearl jam, so no matter what it is, it will be awesome. :) I can't imagine it would have any relation to PJ20 though... 2 completely different types of events and places. This is just a show (a very cool one). PJ20 was a big weekend festival about PJ. Everyone there were basically forced to live in close quarters with one another. That was a one of a kind event. Wrigley.... awesome and worth being excited about, but it's just a concert at a ballpark.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,468
    on2legs wrote:
    As an event: PJ20 > Wrigley
    As a concert: Wrigley > PJ20
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    It will be a great show and a fantastic evening.
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,468
    Get_Right wrote:

Not nearly enough hype in that post. Consider using words like "epic" or "top 5 concert".
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    Get_Right wrote:
    are u going? :mrgreen:
  • Options
    Get_Right wrote:
    oh yes
    Cant miss an evening with PJ. No opener is my dream come true.
    Now if they keep the special guests off the stage it will be just perfect.
  • Options
    on2legs wrote:
    Get_Right wrote:

Not nearly enough hype in that post. Consider using words like "epic" or "top 5 concert".
    It is just a rock show after all. :mrgreen:
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,903
    JimmyV wrote:
    SVRDhand13 wrote:
    PJ-Cubs wrote:

But did night 1 completely live up to expectations? Many reports I have heard was that it was short, Cornell heavy, and slightly disappointing. Not sure on its own it would beat many shows each tour, let alone Wrigley.

Look at this run of 10 songs during Night 1 (Not For You is the only common song):

Faithfull
    Who You Are (not really played since 08 tour)
    Push Me, Pull Me (played less than 20 times ever)
    Setting Forth (first time played by Pearl Jam)
    Not For You
    In the Moonlight (first time played)
    Deep
    Help Help (not played in years)
    Breath
    Education (not played in years)

Plus open with Release. Plus play Mother Love Bones Stardog Champion!!! This show was insanely good and had very rare stuff. The people complaining about that show set their expectations too high.
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options
    AggAgg Posts: 462
    I'm mostly excited that I don't have to sit through an opening act. And I agree with the other posters who hope there are no special guests. I want this show 100% Pearl Jam and nothing else. :D
    2013: Wrigley Field, Pittsburgh, Brooklyn 1, Brooklyn 2, Philly 1, Philly 2, Baltimore
    2014: Cincinnati
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Philly 1, Philly 2, MSG 1, MSG 2, Fenway 1, Fenway 2, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2
    2017: Rock N Roll Hall of Fame Induction
    2018: Krakow, Chicago 1, Chicago 2, Boston 1, Boston 2
  • Options
    Get_Right wrote:
    Get_Right wrote:
    oh yes
    couldnt agree more..
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,641
    edited February 2013
    Get_Right wrote:
    Get_Right wrote:
    oh yes
    Agreed! Unless Zeppelin walks out there (with Bonham), I'd prefer no guests. Especially not Neil Young (I know people love him, and I do admire and respect him as a person and as a mentor to PJ and I guess as a songwriter, certainly a guitarist, and love that be is willing to get creative during his shows instead of trying to keep it popular for the crowd (i wish PJ wasn't so scared to do this now), but seriously, am I the only one who thinks he can't really sing??).
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    SVRDhand13 wrote:
    PJ-Cubs wrote:

I am probably going to post something unpopular here but I do not feel like PJ20 was a great set of CONCERTS. The overall event and atmosphere was awesome but the PJ shows themselves were just Ok to me.

Don't get me wrong, there were many great things about PJ20 - seeing 10Cluubers there from all over the world, the PJ museum, Wash opening night 2, seeing members of the band performing on the smaller stages during the day, the first couple songs from the TOTD reunion.

But, in my opinion, there were also a lot of disappointing things about the PJ20 shows - too many guest appearances, the abrupt way that night 1 ended (Kick out the Jams and goodnight), the way the TOTD reunion seemed to drag on (night 1) and the unneeded repeat of the reunion on night 2. Even some of the rare songs were disappointing. There is a reason why they never play "in the Moonlight" - it is not that good of a song.

I am expecting Wrigley to be an awesome night for me. My favorite band playing in one of my favorite places in the world and a lot of 10Club friends from the boards coming to see it.
  • Options
    PJ-Cubs wrote:
    SVRDhand13 wrote:
    PJ-Cubs wrote:

I am expecting Wrigley to be an awesome night for me. My favorite band playing in one of my favorite places in the world and a lot of 10Club friends from the boards coming to see it.

This
    -Chris
    Male, 34

I'm on Facebook - facebook.com/christopher.leesye1

1998 Brisbane 2
    2003 Brisbane 1
    2006 LA 1 & 2
    2008 LA 2, San Diego 1 (EV)
    2009 LA 1, 2, 3 & 4, San Diego
    2011 St. Louis (EV)
    2012 Tulsa 1 & 2 (EV)
    2013 Chicago, Dallas & OKC
  • Options
    No

Simply no - attended PJ20 and will be at Wrigley

I don't see how this one show could possibly top a two day 20 year celebration with all the guests and two nights of TOTD, etc.

That being said, I can't wait!
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,552
    No

I don't see how this one show could possibly top a two day 20 year celebration with all the guests and two nights of TOTD, etc.

Well, there are some folks who didn't like the Temple of the Dog reunion. Makes no sense to me why you would be mad that they play 4 Temple of the Dog songs two nights in a row.
  • Options
    No

Well, there are some folks who didn't like the Temple of the Dog reunion. Makes no sense to me why you would be mad that they play 4 Temple of the Dog songs two nights in a row.

Okay....not sure why a PJ fan wouldn't be all about TOTD sets but to each his/her own. I liked 'em both.
  • Options
    No

Okay....not sure why a PJ fan wouldn't be all about TOTD sets but to each his/her own. I liked 'em both.

Don't get me wrong, the TOTD reunion was cool, but I did not need like 8 TOTD songs across the 2 nights. I would have been fine with about 1/2 as many TOTD songs and more Pearl Jam.
  • Options
    PJ-Cubs wrote:

Don't get me wrong, the TOTD reunion was cool, but I did not need like 8 TOTD songs across the 2 nights. I would have been fine with about 1/2 as many TOTD songs and more Pearl Jam.

all i know is ill wear a cubs hat..

and is all i need to know.. 8-)