Options

Wrigley Field - The Hype - Bigger than PJ20?

Comments

• Options
    If PJ20 were one day, it would have sold out too.

Maybe, but we'll never know.

And if judging by the posts made here since the public onsale, the majority of the fans are completely shocked as to how quickly the tickets went and even more perplexed as to how many were completely shut out.

That didn't happen at any point, with either day for PJ20, nowhere even close.
    I think we are all a bit shocked as to the popularity of this show.

40,000 tickets totally gone, 5 months prior to the show?
    We nor the band expected such a frenzy.

It's great isn't it?

:P

I'm missing how a show in the middle of a major city selling out quicker than tickets for a lawn in the middle of nowhere that was intended for the hard core fan equates to what the evening will be like.

All the quick sell out means is they under priced their tickets. It has no bearing (and certainly not positive) on the events of the night.

Don't get me wrong. It's going to be a GREAT show. Epic!!! But, how fast you sell out has nothing to do with that.

(Hint: If I wanted I could fly in and out the DAY of this show. I could not do that for PJ20. A lot more planning involved. So, don't go by how fast something sells. Cabbage Patch Dolls sold out quickly too.)
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,214
    seriously..anyone has second thoughtsif this will be huge???

no way..

different shit than Alpine...

but will be fuckin huge...

even bigger than the last cubs championship....oh wait... :fp:
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
    Hype maybe not..show will be better for sure. For the reasons speedy said..lets just hope that the buzz is not killed with arms aloft in the 2 spot like alpine 1..Im just hoping the cubs banter is limited..I am almost certain that peeps will walk away saying it was better..the show..the people..the atmosphere in chicago in the summer..
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • Options
    Wma31394 wrote:
    Hype maybe not..show will be better for sure. For the reasons speedy said..lets just hope that the buzz is not killed with arms aloft in the 2 spot like alpine 1..Im just hoping the cubs banter is limited..I am almost certain that peeps will walk away saying it was better..the show..the people..the atmosphere in chicago in the summer..
    lets have a fuckin beer dude!!!july Chicago...woot!!!
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options

And if judging by the posts made here since the public onsale, the majority of the fans are completely shocked as to how quickly the tickets went and even more perplexed as to how many were completely shut out.

It's great isn't it?

How many Pearl Jam shows have you been to with 40,000 screaming fans?

Exactly

Wrigley will be FUCKING INSANE!!!!!

Im sure you were at soldier...that was insane in my opinion...at least on the floor where i was at...this should be similar.
  • Options
    Wma31394 wrote:
    lets have a fuckin beer dude!!!july Chicago...woot!!!

For sure..im looking forward to it!!!
  • Options
    QuarterToTenQuarterToTen Cincinnati, Ohio Posts: 3,626

Exactly

Exactly...Zero.

Wrigley is already INSANE.

Nice shirt.
  • Options
    kid canadakid canada Toronto Posts: 443
    Primarily hardcore fans were going to trek out to Alpine Valley. At least the vast majority of people I met over the two days were huge PJ fans. Plus there was the added benefit of getting to see QOTSA, the Strokes, Mudhoney, etc.

Wrigley will have WAY more casual fans than PJ20.
    '96: Toronto / '00: Toronto, Montreal / '03: Buffalo, State College, Toronto, Montreal, NYC I & II, Hershey / '04: Toledo, Grand Rapids / '05: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto / '06: Toronto I & II / '07: Chicago (The Vic), Lolla / '09: Toronto / '11: PJ20 I & II, Montreal, Toronto I & II / '13: London ON, Wrigley, Buffalo, Brooklyn I & II / '16: Toronto I & II, Fenway I & II / '18: London UK I, Wrigley I & II, Fenway I
  • Options

Exactly

Exactly...Zero.

true..as Mile said...Party like Rockstars!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    btw....every show has GA.....is EPIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options

Exactly

Exactly...Zero.

40,000 fans inside..thousands packing hundreds of bars outside..INSANITY!!
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,942
    Wasn't Toronto a week later bigger than Alpine?

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    PillowPantsPillowPants Posts: 4,873
    In the eyes of the band, from their perspective alone, playing the legendary Wrigley FIeld has to be one of, if not their biggest, most significant show to date. Alpine will pale in comparison when it is all said and done.

From their perspective, and ours.

This show is ALREADY bigger than PJ20 judging from the demand for tickets and the speed at which
    each and every last one of those tickets was snatched up.

Wrigley Field will be one for the ages, with potential to be truly the greatest moment
    in Pearl Jam's history, and I would imagine they are just as excited as we are.

Not 40,000 seats in 10 minutes.

between the 10c and the presales for cubs season ticket holders and wrigley neighbors and sammy sosa's steriods dealers... i bet only 20,000 were sold on saturday
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    100 Pacer wrote:
    I easily passed up on PJ20 @ Alpine Valley and have no regrets.

I won't be passing up on PJ @ Wrigley Field.

Exactly
  • Options
    my2hands wrote:
    100 Pacer wrote:

Exactly
    i didnt pass PJ20,im not passing Wrigley as well....

we gonna have so much fun..
  • Options
    I feel this is a horrible venue choice and the the show may suffer due to poor sound. Wrigley Field was made for baseball not concerts......there are better venue choices in the city of Chicago than the worlds largest urinal.
    WHITE SOX WHITE SOX GO GO WHITE SOX
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    My only hope is Chris Cornell comes out again so people can start whinning.... :lol:

fuck and no.
  • Options
    SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,818
    edited February 2013
    Well, one thing we can all agree on?

Fuck Missoula!
    BITCHES!!!

:lol::lol::lol::lol:
    Post edited by SPEEDY MCCREADY on
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    QuarterToTenQuarterToTen Cincinnati, Ohio Posts: 3,626

It's great isn't it?

WHO GIVES A FUCK...ILL JUMP DURING ANIMAL LIKE FUCKIN CRAZY POINTING AT YOU

FUCK YEAH... :D:D:D

:wave:
    Nice shirt.
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    100 Pacer wrote:

pretty much this. zero regrets for missing PJ20, but i would kick myself for a long, long, long time if i sat wrigley out.
  • Options
    chicagoJam wrote:
    I feel this is a horrible venue choice and the the show may suffer due to poor sound. Wrigley Field was made for baseball not concerts......there are better venue choices in the city of Chicago than the worlds largest urinal.

I have concerns about the sound as well. The field is amazing and beautiful, the underbelly of the stadium is actually not that far off from your description. At least it was when I was there about 8 years ago.
    Forced to endure, what I cannot forgive.
  • Options
    Tboz51Tboz51 Posts: 2,808
    Nothing will EVER be better the the Alpine weekend! Period! If you go into it with any type of expeditions you'll be sorely disappointed. Just like Missoula.
    Wrigley
    A NIGHT WITH PEARL JAM
    Ed's hometown
    Ed's love for Wrigley and the Cubs
    I am sure this is a DREAM COME TRUE for Mr. Vedder.
    Summer night in Chicago
    Packed house of 40,000 fans.

This show could very well be "The Best of the Best"

Since you have said PJ20 (especially night 1) wasn't great I'd gather a bit of a jaded position by you?

I know as a fan staying at the resort was very fun and the memories of meeting new friends. I think of it often, and I'm glad for the shows too. Not sure I'll ever see PJ and walk a par 4 home to my bed.
    "Honesty will always be construed as negative to a dumbass"
    :-)
  • Options
    Tboz51 wrote:
    Nothing will EVER be better the the Alpine weekend! Period! If you go into it with any type of expeditions you'll be sorely disappointed. Just like Missoula.
    Wrigley
    A NIGHT WITH PEARL JAM
    Ed's hometown
    Ed's love for Wrigley and the Cubs
    I am sure this is a DREAM COME TRUE for Mr. Vedder.
    Summer night in Chicago
    Packed house of 40,000 fans.

This show could very well be "The Best of the Best"

Since you have said PJ20 (especially night 1) wasn't great I'd gather a bit of a jaded position by you?

I know as a fan staying at the resort was very fun and the memories of meeting new friends. I think of it often, and I'm glad for the shows too. Not sure I'll ever see PJ and walk a par 4 home to my bed.
    Jaded position? Nope
    I just feel that Wrigley has a chance to be THE Show of Shows.
  • Options
    [
    WHO GIVES A FUCK...ILL JUMP DURING ANIMAL LIKE FUCKIN CRAZY POINTING AT YOU

FUCK YEAH... :D:D:D

:wave:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqEeSjlmh24

can u imagine this from GA????

INSANE
  • Options
    I think in terms of hype, each "big" show is going to be more hyped than the next. You have more and more fans joining Ten Club and fewer major rock acts for people to see. The limited touring only exacerbates the issue. Many fans in the states haven't seen the band since PJ20. PJ20 was like nothing else you'd ever go to. The collaborations made it completely special. PJ at Wrigley will be nothing like PJ20, but it could indeed be just as or even more special. You'll have one of the larger, non-festival crowds they've played in front of in awhile. You've got a historic ballpark that they'll likely not play in again, that the lead singer just happens to love. The show is also just an evening with Pearl Jam and not even during a tour.

I think the fact that this show sold out faster than any other Wrigley show is incredible. You're talking about Paul McCartney, Bruce Springsteen, Elton John & Billy Joel, Dave Matthews, etc. That will certainly keep the hype machine in full force.

I've lived in Chicagoland my entire life, so once it was announced it was big for me personally. It has been very exciting though to see how big it is for everyone else. I hate all the scalpers as much as the next person, but hopefully PJ fans have saved up over the past few years and they can be the ones that end up with those tickets. Let's keep as many d'bags who just want to go to say they went as a status symbol out of Wrigley. Good luck to all those looking for tickets, and safe travels to those that have them. I know it's going to be a long 5 months helping most of my friends try and find somewhat affordable tickets.
    Oct 00 - East Troy aka The Ice Bowl
    Apr 03 - Champaign
    Jun 03 - East Troy
    May 06 - Chicago
    Jun 06 - Summerfest 1 & 2
    Aug 09 - Chicago 1 & 2
    May 10 - Noblesville
    Sept 11 - PJ20 1 & 2
    July 13 - Wrigley
    Oct 13 - Pittsburgh
    Oct 14 - Moline & Milwaukee
    Aug 16 - Wrigley 1 & 2
  • Options
    Well, one thing we can all agree on?

Fuck Missoula!
    BITCHES!!!

:lol::lol::lol::lol:
    They played fuckin GHOST..

Respect from me to Missoula
  • Options
    PillowPantsPillowPants Posts: 4,873
    a show in the middle of nowhere with 2 nights to choose from - with an enormous lawn/ga area- thats why PJ20 didn't sell out

how can we compare something that happened to something that hasnt happened? and why bother?

every show has the potential to be great... and after the show lots of people will call it epic... some will bitch about the lack of pizza and some won't care

i think the wrigley/hometown thing is getting overhyped - who cares? you think mike or stone care that it's at wrigley field? and the way Ed switches allegiances - it just doesn't matter.... oh and just wait till you see all the geniuses complaining how ballparks aren't made for rock shows and how the sound sucked

every show in a populated area also has high demand... especially when situated on a weekend day... even more so in the summer.... even more so after a long break from actual touring... this show is no different than the last 40 in NYC, Boston, Philly, LA, or Chicago
  • Options
    a show in the middle of nowhere with 2 nights to choose from - with an enormous lawn/ga area- thats why PJ20 didn't sell out

how can we compare something that happened to something that hasnt happened? and why bother?

every show has the potential to be great... and after the show lots of people will call it epic... some will bitch about the lack of pizza and some won't care

i think the wrigley/hometown thing is getting overhyped - who cares? you think mike or stone care that it's at wrigley field? and the way Ed switches allegiances - it just doesn't matter.... oh and just wait till you see all the geniuses complaining how ballparks aren't made for rock shows and how the sound sucked

every show in a populated area also has high demand... especially when situated on a weekend day... even more so in the summer.... even more so after a long break from actual touring... this show is no different than the last 40 in NYC, Boston, Philly, LA, or Chicago
    now find me GA tickets so we party Amsterdam style!!!!

DAM 2....best show ever..
  • Options

Good morning.
    Good points.
    And I cant argue with any of this.
    Now get your damned ticket!
    See You in Chi-Town!
  • Options
    I wasn't at PJ20... But i continue to read it didn't sell out..

For those who went... compared to this show (I have a ticket for Wrigley), does it seem bigger?

Chicago in July, first time ever at Wrigley, Eddie's home town, no opening band, overwhelming demand...

Are we in for one of the biggest shows ever? I think very possibly... I think the energy at this show will be second to none. Everybody seems to be coming from everywhere for this one.

Thoughts?

It will be a unique show, but Alpine...best show ever and not just because of the band, the fans made it too.

I'll know for sure July 20th