Options

Wrigley Field - The Hype - Bigger than PJ20?

Comments

• Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,944
    ZL266075 wrote:
    agreed. Book your flights now then wait till 2 weeks before the show to see the scalpers on stubhub and panic and sell them at face/below.
    Now that Wrigley has sold out PJ should announce the fall tour itinerary right?
    z

Wrigley selling out has no impact on the announcement of the fall tour. We found out about the fall 2011 tour in May and the the May 2010 tour in March. I am sure not everything has been finalized for the fall tour yet. I would not expect any news until May at the earliest and most likely until June or even July.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    Who I AmWho I Am Posts: 647
    This will be an awesome show but I don't think it will be remembered as one of the greats. The band needs this to be a great show and that means playing a show that 80% of the crowd wants to hear and playing songs to keep the energy in the crowd. The band is past the point of taking risks live.

I'm struggling with this paragraph. Do you honestly think that the thought of having to play a show that 80% will enjoy even crosses their minds? They've been there, done that and now it's all just a joy ride.

Perfect lefts come rollin' in...
    02MAY2003 - State College, PA
    08JUL2003 - New York, NY (L@TG)
    14JUL2003 - Holmdel, NJ
    01OCT2004 - Reading, PA
    01OCT2005 - Atlantic City, NJ
    03OCT2005 - Philadelphia, PA
    27MAY2006 - Camden, NJ
    01JUN2006 - East Rutherford, NJ
    03JUN2006 - East Rutherford, NJ
    30SEP2009 - Universal City, CA
    09OCT2009 - San Diego, CA
    06JUL2011 - Long Beach, CA (EV)
    19JUL2013 - Wrigley Field, IL
    21OCT2013 - Philadelphia, PA
    22OCT2013 - Philadelphia, PA
    27OCT2013 - Baltimore, MD
    29APR2016 - Philadelphia, PA (TEN)
    05AUG2016 - Fenway Park, MA
    07AUG2016 - Fenway Park, MA
    27AUG2016 - Dana Point, CA (Ohana)
    18AUG2018 - Wrigley Field, IL
    20AUG2018 - Wrigley Field, IL
    18SEP2021 - Asbury Park, NJ
    14SEP2022 - Camden, NJ

• Options
    bk159954 wrote:
    I am so pissed it sold out. My friend tried getting 4 tickets right when they went on sale. We only live an hour from Chicago. We are so bummed we cannot go. :cry:

Who says you can't go? If you are only an hour away I'd show up in Wrigleyville around noon and start looking for tickets in the bars/streets. If you don't score, so what, you will have a great time meeting people and still only have an hour ride home.

As a last resort, you can usually find scalpers trying to unload inventory at the last second outside the venue as well. If you wait long enough, they can usually be had for cheap. Just keep an eye on the stubhub inventory to get an idea of how well the tickets are selling.

Maybe.

I will definitely keep an eye on stubhub.
    ~Carter~

You can spend your time alone, redigesting past regrets, oh
    or you can come to terms and realize
    you're the only one who can't forgive yourself, oh
    makes much more sense to live in the present tense
    - Present Tense
  • Options
    JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    isnt each show (the hype, the expectations, the experience, the memories) up to the individual attendee? my greatest shows were my first and a show in newark, both for different reasons. does it matter how the show is hyped, judged by "the faithfull"? (or how many attended or how quickly it sold out?)
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,903
    Nothing will ever compare to PJ20 8-)
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,214
    SVRDhand13 wrote:
    8-)
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    JC29856 wrote:
    isnt each show (the hype, the expectations, the experience, the memories) up to the individual attendee? my greatest shows were my first and a show in newark, both for different reasons. does it matter how the show is hyped, judged by "the faithfull"? (or how many attended or how quickly it sold out?)

In theory, yes. But how do shows like Atlanta 94, Soldier Field 95 and Randall's Island 96 all remain as high on the Pearl Jam Epic Shows Scale as they do?
    -Chris
    Male, 34

I'm on Facebook - facebook.com/christopher.leesye1

1998 Brisbane 2
    2003 Brisbane 1
    2006 LA 1 & 2
    2008 LA 2, San Diego 1 (EV)
    2009 LA 1, 2, 3 & 4, San Diego
    2011 St. Louis (EV)
    2012 Tulsa 1 & 2 (EV)
    2013 Chicago, Dallas & OKC
  • Options
    JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    JC29856 wrote:

In theory, yes. But how do shows like Atlanta 94, Soldier Field 95 and Randall's Island 96 all remain as high on the Pearl Jam Epic Shows Scale as they do?

not sure, maybe it has to do with "legend" or "fish stories"... I was at 2 of the 3 you mention and no doubt they were awesome shows, atl was my first so its special, randalls island was a clusterfu(k IMO, but who knows I was younger, was too stupid to realize at the time, who knows.

i take the entire experience into consideration when rating a show, not just first chord to last chord. for me its the top 3 or top 5 then the rest are equal.
    is there a thread, "your favorite show and why?" maybe that would give insight
  • Options

this will be epic show!!!!!!!!!!!!!!you know why!!!!!!! :mrgreen:
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    SVRDhand13 wrote:
    8-)
    :!:
  • Options

this will be epic show!!!!!!!!!!!!!!you know why!!!!!!! :mrgreen:

Hmm... i can't think of ANY reasons!
    8-):lol:
    -Chris
    Male, 34

1998 Brisbane 2
    2003 Brisbane 1
    2006 LA 1 & 2
    2011 St. Louis (EV)
    2012 Tulsa 1 & 2 (EV)
  • Options
    PillowPantsPillowPants Posts: 4,873
    SVRDhand13 wrote:
    8-)
    :!:
    :arrow:
  • Options
    CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Portland, Maine Posts: 2,925
    JC29856 wrote:

I wonder if its because (for ATL and Soldier Field) people have had these bootlegs for so long. Both were on the radio and widely available when a lot of PJ boots were not available. The band was at it's peak and these shows have stood the test of time over the years. I think they remain high on everyone's list due to the nostalgia people feel when listening to these shows and thinking about them.
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,149
    Every show is epic. If you've walked out of a Pearl Jam show thinking it sucked, then well, ok. Seriously though. Other than PJ20, the other 20 shows I've been to have been amazing in their own way. The band, the music just makes it that way. Unique settings only add to the hype I think. It will no doubt by a special evening, but in my opinion, no more EPIC than the 20 + EPIC shows I've seen.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    DiRtYyELLoWoCeAnDiRtYyELLoWoCeAn Medford, Ma Posts: 1,605
    [/quote]

I wonder if its because (for ATL and Soldier Field) people have had these bootlegs for so long. Both were on the radio and widely available when a lot of PJ boots were not available. The band was at it's peak and these shows have stood the test of time over the years. I think they remain high on everyone's list due to the nostalgia people feel when listening to these shows and thinking about them.[/quote]

I agree with this!!!
    BOS 9/28/04, 9/29/04
    MTL 9/15/05
    HRTFD 5/13/06
    BOS 5/24/06, 5/25/06
    VEGAS 7/6/06
    CHI 8/5/07
    NJ 6/19/08
    NYC 6/25/08
    HRTFD 6/27/08
    MANSFLD 6/28/08, 6/30/08
    E.V. BOS 8/1/08
    CHI 8/23/09, 8/24/09
    PHILLY 10/30/09, 10/31/09
    BOS 5/17/10
    CHI 7/19/13
    WOOSTA 10/15/13, 10/16/13
    HRTFD 10/25/13
    BOS 8/5/16, 8/7/16
    BOS 9/2/18, 9/4/18

• Options
    JC29856 wrote:

I wonder if its because (for ATL and Soldier Field) people have had these bootlegs for so long. Both were on the radio and widely available when a lot of PJ boots were not available. The band was at it's peak and these shows have stood the test of time over the years. I think they remain high on everyone's list due to the nostalgia people feel when listening to these shows and thinking about them.

I'll be honest, I saw them on the Yield tour and thought they were very good. I've seen them lately and thought they were 1000 times better. I don't know. I think it's the fish story and only we were there mentality and we were there when that leaves those shows up there (And the limited bootleg thing where we all had those shows, so it was a shared experience even if it wasn't truly shared). Clearly, Ed was crazier then. But, I'm not sure the shows were better. I'm sure I'm in the minority, but even from the boots, I think they are better now than they ever were. Mike's a better guitarist, Jeff's a better bassist. I'm partial to Matt. Ed may not be as crazy as he was which definitely would have added to the older shows, but he's definitely a better VOCALIST now (if you know what I mean). Stone's Stone and Boom adds to the live show b/c they can do more with a properly used keyboard.

As with most professionals, they get better at their craft which includes "putting on a show."

So, yeah if you want to see Eddie scare Mike half to death, then go with the '90s. But, personally, I think they are a better overall entertainment value now because they are better at what they do. (Though no doubt the '91-'92 period would be awesome just because of the size of venues they were in. But, I'm not sure they were a better BAND back then. Oh, how I'd love to see any version of them in a bar. That must have been awesome for the "on the cusp" feeling).

I mean does anyone think Mike did better solos in 1992 than he does now?
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,552
    Who I Am wrote:
    This will be an awesome show but I don't think it will be remembered as one of the greats. The band needs this to be a great show and that means playing a show that 80% of the crowd wants to hear and playing songs to keep the energy in the crowd. The band is past the point of taking risks live.

I'm struggling with this paragraph. Do you honestly think that the thought of having to play a show that 80% will enjoy even crosses their minds? They've been there, done that and now it's all just a joy ride.

Perfect lefts come rollin' in...

I don't think it is an easy task to keep 30,000 people entertained for 3 hours. Atlanta's 2012 festival didn't get the Missoula 2012 setlist because Ed has to factor in the crowd. Most of the Atlana crowd would have been letdown by the Missoula setlist while most of the Missoula crowd would have been let down by the Atlanta setlist.

Wrigley is a big venue, and the crowd will be closer to a festival type crowd than a fan club crowd. I think a crowd that large will need the hits to keep it engaged for the whole show. They'll mix in a few rarities. It will be similar to the Stockholm setlist with some special highlights for Wrigley.

I still don't think there will be an extended acoustic portion of the show (longer than 4 sitdown acoustic songs).
  • Options
    I understand why people think there'll be a lot more casual fans at Wrigley. I think there'll be MORE, but not a LOT more. I have a feeling most people are underestimating exactly just how many 10C members or hard core fans will be present.
    -Chris
    Male, 34

1998 Brisbane 2
    2003 Brisbane 1
    2006 LA 1 & 2
    2011 St. Louis (EV)
    2012 Tulsa 1 & 2 (EV)
  • Options
    YLed2YLed2 Des Moines, IA Posts: 5,534
    I understand why people think there'll be a lot more casual fans at Wrigley. I think there'll be MORE, but not a LOT more. I have a feeling most people are underestimating exactly just how many 10C members or hard core fans will be present.

I agree with this. Most of those casual fans are tagging along with the likes of us, and this show and the atmosphere is going to generate so much energy and buzz that it's going to have the feeling of a fan club show. Not to mention we have people all across the globe traveling for this show. It is going to be a very, very special show of epic proportions.
    Bristow, VA - 5.13.10
    East Troy, WI - 9.3.11
    East Troy, WI - 9.4.11
    Atlanta, GA - 9.22.12
    Las Vegas, NV - 10.31.12 (EV)
    Las Vegas, NV - 11.1.12 (EV)
    Chicago, IL - 7.19.13
    Dallas, TX - 11.15.13
    Oklahoma City, OK - 11.16.13
    Seattle, WA - 12.6.13
    Lincoln, NE - 10.9.14
    Moline, IL - 10.17.14
    St. Paul, MN - 10.19.14
    Milwaukee, WI - 10.20.14
    New York, NY - 5.1.16
    New York, NY - 5.2.16
    Boston, MA - 8.5.16
    Boston, MA - 8.7.16
    Chicago, IL - 8.20.16

• Options
    WWSWWS Ontario Posts: 458
    SVRDhand13 wrote:

I really hope that the best is still ahead of them.
    '93 Toronto, '98 Barrie, '00 Toronto, '03 Buffalo, '05 Hamilton, '06 Toronto 1&2 '09 Toronto, '09 Philly #4, '11 Hamilton, '13 London, '13 Wrigley,    '13 Buffalo, '14 Detroit Rock City,'16 Ottawa, '16 Toronto 1&2, '16 Fenway '18 Wrigley 1&2, '20 Baltimore. '22 Hamilton, '24 Wrigley 1&2
  • Options
    CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Portland, Maine Posts: 2,925
    Every show is epic. If you've walked out of a Pearl Jam show thinking it sucked, then well, ok. Seriously though. Other than PJ20, the other 20 shows I've been to have been amazing in their own way. The band, the music just makes it that way. Unique settings only add to the hype I think. It will no doubt by a special evening, but in my opinion, no more EPIC than the 20 + EPIC shows I've seen.

This is spot on. Ive seen 35 shows and never once left unsatisfied.

Cincy 2000 is one of my favorite shows. Nothing really stands out in the setlist. But it was the first of an 8 show run I did for that tour. I was crazy excited. The weather was beautiful. We met some great people tailgating. The atmosphere was just fantastic. That's why that show ranks so high.
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,334
    yes.

because your juggler will be in attendance.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,944
    I do not see anyway that this show will not be epic. Clearly a special occasion show and the band always delivers in these situations.

First we heard that Pearl Jam would never play a ballpark show.

Then we heard that Pearl Jam could never sell out a ballpark show.

Now we are hearing that a ballpark show cannot be epic.

You do have to shake your head at some of this talk.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    JimmyV wrote:

:lol:
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    JC29856 wrote:

Well said. Might I add I think it is hard for any current show to reach the same hype/epic status to the masses, as any of the older shows mainly because we have so much information given to us so quickly these days. We have relayed set-list in real time, or on the website the next day and have everyone critique the show. Those who didn't like the show start to sway opinions that the show wasn't that great, or it would have been better if they tagged It's OK instead of Hey Ho. The older shows also gained epic status because of songs being played but not released yet. Remember everyone talking about Atlantic City with the new song that was later on the self titled album. The grand unveiling of Of The Earth but now it is more about will they play Of The Earth at my show. It was huge that radio stations would broadcast a show and the older shows benefit from the telephone game as well. I thought I heard that by the end of the Soldier Field show Pearl Jam just finished building the tallest skyscraper in the world. Just kidding or am I.

That being said I think that every show is a great and unique experience and the Wrigley show will be as well. I just know that the day after the show there will be someone who is disappointed because they didn't play some song they never played live before or ten songs that the have played only a handful of times. For me the sum of the experience is greater then it's parts. Are there songs I would like to here, you bet. I just don't let that detract from just being able to see my favorite band do their thing. I will take whatever they want to give and enjoy every minute of it. :)
  • Options
    I feel like Atlanta 94 is somewhat mythical. Sure, we have the boot. But that's really it.

And it feels like only a handful of people were there in relation to shows today. While the boot is incredible, i think most of it is word of mouth. Performance wise, i don't think it's the best show of the 1994 tour.
    -Chris
    Male, 34

1998 Brisbane 2
    2003 Brisbane 1
    2006 LA 1 & 2
    2011 St. Louis (EV)
    2012 Tulsa 1 & 2 (EV)
  • Options

I'll be honest, I saw them on the Yield tour and thought they were very good. I've seen them lately and thought they were 1000 times better. I don't know. I think it's the fish story and only we were there mentality and we were there when that leaves those shows up there (And the limited bootleg thing where we all had those shows, so it was a shared experience even if it wasn't truly shared). Clearly, Ed was crazier then. But, I'm not sure the shows were better. I'm sure I'm in the minority, but even from the boots, I think they are better now than they ever were. Mike's a better guitarist, Jeff's a better bassist. I'm partial to Matt. Ed may not be as crazy as he was which definitely would have added to the older shows, but he's definitely a better VOCALIST now (if you know what I mean). Stone's Stone and Boom adds to the live show b/c they can do more with a properly used keyboard.

As with most professionals, they get better at their craft which includes "putting on a show."

So, yeah if you want to see Eddie scare Mike half to death, then go with the '90s. But, personally, I think they are a better overall entertainment value now because they are better at what they do. (Though no doubt the '91-'92 period would be awesome just because of the size of venues they were in. But, I'm not sure they were a better BAND back then. Oh, how I'd love to see any version of them in a bar. That must have been awesome for the "on the cusp" feeling).

I mean does anyone think Mike did better solos in 1992 than he does now?

how is ed a better vocalist?

his voice, now, is a shell of it's former self.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    JimmyV wrote:
    I do not see anyway that this show will not be epic. Clearly a special occasion show and the band always delivers in these situations.

2 Dimitris at the show???its fuckin epic already 5 months before boys go on stage
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,552
    Just curious what people think "epic" is. Is it show length, rarities, acoustic set, the energy of the crowd and band, etc..?

My expectation is a 3.25 hour show beginning at 8:15 (pull a Springsteen and come out 45 minutes after the scheduled start) and ending at 11:30. It will be epic because of the environment and the energy of the crowd and the band. I think it will be one of the "good time" shows where everyone is smiling. I'm not expecting a Vic style setlist or even a Philly IV 2009 setlist. I think this occassion is a party and you play the hits and upbeat songs at parties. I don't think Wrigley is the place to break out Fatal or Around the Bend.

Well, I've got my prediction on record.
  • Options
    Just curious what people think "epic" is. Is it show length, rarities, acoustic set, the energy of the crowd and band, etc..?

My expectation is a 3.25 hour show beginning at 8:15 (pull a Springsteen and come out 45 minutes after the scheduled start) and ending at 11:30. It will be epic because of the environment and the energy of the crowd and the band. I think it will be one of the "good time" shows where everyone is smiling. I'm not expecting a Vic style setlist or even a Philly IV 2009 setlist. I think this occassion is a party and you play the hits and upbeat songs at parties. I don't think Wrigley is the place to break out Fatal or Around the Bend.

Well, I've got my prediction on record.
    energy of the crowd and band at an unique ,historical venue,or a historical moment at bands career

oh and when Eddie speaks Greek...he did it once in 22 years..

EPIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!