Tips for surviving in office environment

Comments

• kw18kw18 Posts: 3,909
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    kw18 wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    That's exactly it. Don't pay people money and then ask for the money back! :nono: :nono:

Most of us took the letters and stuff sent to us asking for that money and said "return to sender" + notes like "You're kidding, right??"

Is that all they do, just send letters? We get letters -- both internally and externally -- emails, phone calls, in-person badgering, AND it's brought up at most department meetings and at every all-staff meeting.

I can't escape it!
    We get one call at HOME in the evening, like telemarketers, and these incredibly expensively produced brochures and sent to our offices, and emails. :fp: I guess I wouldn't call the badgering.... quite. Although the phone call is way over the top. But you're in a WAY worse situation. No one here is keeping track or judging those who don't donate. If they are actually looking at your donation as a consideration in promotion... well, I don't even think that sounds legal. :?

TECHNICALLY donating it's not a consideration ... but they do make it known it's "expected" of people in managerial positions or those seeking such positions to donate.

However, and this is the kicker, participating in these committees that help raise money IS a consideration for one of our review categories. Basically, if we want to get rated anything more than average, we have to participate. Sigh. :-|
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,889
    kw18 wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    kw18 wrote:
    Is that all they do, just send letters? We get letters -- both internally and externally -- emails, phone calls, in-person badgering, AND it's brought up at most department meetings and at every all-staff meeting.

I can't escape it!
    We get one call at HOME in the evening, like telemarketers, and these incredibly expensively produced brochures and sent to our offices, and emails. :fp: I guess I wouldn't call the badgering.... quite. Although the phone call is way over the top. But you're in a WAY worse situation. No one here is keeping track or judging those who don't donate. If they are actually looking at your donation as a consideration in promotion... well, I don't even think that sounds legal. :?

TECHNICALLY donating it's not a consideration ... but they do make it known it's "expected" of people in managerial positions or those seeking such positions to donate.

However, and this is the kicker, participating in these committees that help raise money IS a consideration for one of our review categories. Basically, if we want to get rated anything more than average, we have to participate. Sigh. :-|
    I thought non-profits are supposed to be warm and fuzzy, not cut-throat about extorting money from their employees. :P
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    make sure you throw that stapler real hard. make it count
  • morellomorello Posts: 6,212
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    make sure you throw that stapler real hard. make it count
    *like* :clap::clap::clap:
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle & Sydney 1&2 2011
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    I thought non-profits are supposed to be warm and fuzzy, not cut-throat about extorting money from their employees. :P

:lolno:
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    I'm gonna need tips for surviving the office environment where my sister and I are not on speaking terms and we work together :fp: :fp: :fp:
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    I'm gonna need tips for surviving the office environment where my sister and I are not on speaking terms and we work together :fp: :fp: :fp:

:fp:

well, I worked from home today and that helped me survive another day
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    oh jesus. this can't be good :corn: :corn:
    Mamasan23 wrote:

:o

Yikes!

... :think:

Looking forward to updates. :corn:
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."
    kw18 wrote:
    Mamasan23 wrote:

Yikes!

and pictures...... :geek:
  • PJ-CubsPJ-Cubs Posts: 3,316
    LloydXmas wrote:
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    oh jesus. this can't be good :corn: :corn:

I couldn't imagine working with one of my brothers. Don't me wrong, I think that they are great but we would probably kill each other at work.
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    kw18 wrote:
    Mamasan23 wrote:

Yikes!

and pictures...... :geek:

Obviously! :thumbup:
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,889
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    :fp:
    Me and my sister aren't on speaking terms either, but when we have to see each other for our parents' sakes we just suck it up and fake it and appear to get along, and then go right back to not speaking after.... it seems to work. :?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    kw18 wrote:
    Mamasan23 wrote:

Yikes!

Well. Yesterday she called in sick to avoid me. Today we completely ignored each other. Not awkward at all! :fp:
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • morellomorello Posts: 6,212
    I need tips on or gotta work out how to survive in my work office environment coz it's driving me fucking mental atm! I'm even considering forsaking PJ touring after the fall tour & going for something that pays less if it does my head in less!!!! :o:cry::cry:
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle & Sydney 1&2 2011
    don't piss me off

.com
  • supadupasupadupa Posts: 377
    I have had a hell of a morning dealing with office drama, which I actively avoid. I should keep a flask hidden under my desk or something.
  • ldent42ldent42 Posts: 7,859
    I found a pretty fool proof solution.

But it involves leaving the office :lol:
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
    don't become the office burper
    and don't be the guy that uses speakerphone to dial the number only to pick up the handset when the person answers. I suppose we all need to know you are making a phone call? :roll:
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    Telling me that the problem is not with the work you did, assures me that it's actually the work you did that is the problem.
  • dankinddankind Posts: 20,835
    rick1zoo2 wrote:

At my last two jobs, the office burper has been a woman.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    do not deliver bad news to me past 4pm monday-thursday, and no bad news past 3pm on fridays.
    stop hovering around her office door. It's been 20 minutes, she's not going to ask you in
    dankind wrote:
    rick1zoo2 wrote:

At my last two jobs, the office burper has been a woman.

was she hot?
    rival. wrote:
    do not deliver bad news to me past 4pm monday-thursday, and no bad news past 3pm on fridays.

Along those lines, do not give me additional work to do at those same times/days.
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,780
    heres my tip for surviving in office environment, DONT WORK IN AN OFFICE!!!!
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    don't eat anything from the cafeteria again.....

:sick:
  • put a hit on your boss.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • 1. When walking the halls, always have a piece of paper in your hand - It makes it look like you are on a mission. For added effect, have an "angry look" on your face, so you look pissed off at some incompetent fool - but don't look too angry, or you may be labeled the office psycho.
    2. It good to keep your desk a bit messy. Scattered papers, or uneven piles give the impression that you just don't have any time to file them, thus you are working to your full potential - but again don't overdo it, or you may be labeled the office slob, or if you will, psycho slob.
    3. When someone comes to see you, ignore them for the first 3-4 seconds, even if you are playing solitaire, or looking at nekked ladies. Then apologize, and ask them what they need to talk to you about - makes you look deep in concentration. If you ignore them too long, you may be labeled brain-dead psycho slob.
    4. Always show up to meeting late. (jeeze that guy must be busy, if he can never make it to a meeting on time!) And always leave a meeting on a high note - That's it for me, I'm outta here!!
    5. Keep a big bottle of antacids on your desk - If you are developing an ulcer, you must be working your ass off.
    6. Always check your daily planner before agreeing to go to a meeting, or even lunch (hmm lunch Wednesday... let me check my schedule) You can get out of meetings that way, too. ( ooo sorry, I'm already going to a meeting on the Penski file.....)
    7. Wear the same clothes to work - but get there extra early so everyone thinks you were there all night long.
    8. Get a good office nickname (T-bone comes to mind) It give the impression that you are well liked by your peers, even if you are a total ass.
    9. Bring in various electronic gadgets (like cell phones, electronic organizers, laptops) And use them in front of your co-workers. If asked about them, respond that they were given to you by your boss "What this? Joan said I needed it.... Didn't you get one?" You can bring them back to the store the next day.
    10. When someone comes to see you, pretend you are having an important conversation on the phone, and gesture them to hold on for a minute. Then make an important decision, and hang up. " Uh-hmm... yes.... no.... nooo..... Listen, that is just not acceptable... I don't care if you've always done it that way, it's wrong. What would mister Penski think about that? ... I thought so. Bye. Sorry about that - you wanted to see me?" You can talk to the dial tone, or call a pizza place.... it doesn't matter.
    11. Get a few good inside jokes with the boss, don't share them with ANYBODY else, and always bring them back up during meetings. " Hey, maybe Pete needs a "pickle slicer" hahaha..... never mind."

If you follow these tips, you will likely never have to do any work.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014