Tips for surviving in office environment

Comments

• rollingsrollings Posts: 7,124
    chadwick wrote:
    starting reading page 10 now & i am pretty much amazed as well as lost. some of the abbreviations & what have you i don't understand as i have never even stepped foot into a office. things like hr, it, & not farting loud or picking your butt or nose in front of others. these things i don't understand as i don't know about offices. although i like desks & pens & pencils

I thought you were a desk
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,889
    chadwick wrote:
    starting reading page 10 now & i am pretty much amazed as well as lost. some of the abbreviations & what have you i don't understand as i have never even stepped foot into a office. things like hr, it, & not farting loud or picking your butt or nose in front of others. these things i don't understand as i don't know about offices. although i like desks & pens & pencils
    It would be nice to meet you someday Chadwick, but if we do, is it okay if I ask you to refrain from picking your butt in front of me? Thank you. :)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    also it is a good idea to never truly trust anyone you work with. this applies with other jobs besides office jobs. same with having sex with a co-worker. not a very smart idea at all. what you do is get fired or quit then you can have sex with that person who is still working there. :mrgreen:
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    chadwick wrote:
    It would be nice to meet you someday Chadwick, but if we do, is it okay if I ask you to refrain from picking your butt in front of me? Thank you. :)
    finger up the nostrils, yes/no? digging @ one's groin area, yes/no?

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    chadwick wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    chadwick wrote:
    finger up the nostrils, yes/no? digging @ one's groin area, yes/no?
    That's a big NO on both points. Thanks for checking. :thumbup:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    Someone in my office just kicked their door and threw a tantrum because the AA batteries in their mouse died. then they stormed out to the store...
    I hope the chord is just loose! :lol:
    You know what you have to do :twisted:
    :lol:

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    chadwick wrote:
    also it is a good idea to never truly trust anyone you work with. this applies with other jobs besides office jobs. same with having sex with a co-worker. not a very smart idea at all. what you do is get fired or quit then you can have sex with that person who is still working there. :mrgreen:
    I truly trust 3 out of 30+ people in my office. I figure that's actually pretty good in the scheme of things!
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    chadwick wrote:
    I truly trust 3 out of 30+ people in my office. I figure that's actually pretty good in the scheme of things!

this....and never ever get chummy with HR. :nono:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    PJ_Soul wrote:

actually...when you think about it...pretty sure that rule applies here as well. :fp:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    chadwick wrote:

this....and never ever get chummy with HR. :nono:
    Definitely not! :nono: I don't know what it is, but being in HR does something bad to people - it's like a cult or something! :fp:
    HR?

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    chadwick wrote:
    HR?

Human Resources, the ass hats who go through resumes and try to hire people they think will work best in your company.
  • rollingsrollings Posts: 7,124
    and IT - information technology.

or the computer geek types like 81,

or norm.
    81 wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:

actually...when you think about it...pretty sure that rule applies here as well. :fp:
    As far as I've been able to tell in my life so far, only a relatively small percentage of people aren't selfish dickheads when it comes right down to the nitty gritty. Although I think it's probably better here than most offices, because here people aren't competing with you for money or advancement/power, the two things that bring out the worst in people.
    rollings wrote:
    or the computer geek types like 81,

negative.....i'm finance
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    leave for the day on time and use all of your vacation and holiday time
  • kw18kw18 Posts: 3,909
    rick1zoo2 wrote:

Great advice. I "bank" days I stay late or when I work through lunch, and then leave early on other days. All under the table, of course.
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."
    rick1zoo2 wrote:

can somebody tell me how to log in so i can put in my PTO time. :fp:

it should not be this hard
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:

That's what she said
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    81 wrote:

That's what she said

:think:
  • morellomorello Posts: 6,212
    Yo you office worker people have been busy posting. I am NOT in my office today, HALLELUJAH, due to Easter long weekend! HALLELUJAH again!! & I am now feeling a bit sane after the last 3 weeks of craziness.

Oh & I work in one of those half wall cubicle things kind of like the pic above although about double the size of that. &&& I trust about 2 people in my office out of 50 or so that I know.

Anyway, back to NOT being in an office environment for 4 days!! :D
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle & Sydney 1&2 2011
    when working in cubicles, keep in mind that there is another person on the other side of that thin fabric wall, in fact that person is only about a foot away from you and every sound you make is heard, every move you make is felt by that other person as if you were talking in their ear. Oh and smells too.
    and don't be the jackass that's burns popcorn in the microwave
  • dougfloyddougfloyd Posts: 2,580
    rick1zoo2 wrote:

I've never understood this. In my entire life I've never burned a bag of popcorn before, how much of an idiot do you have to be to do this? :?
    1998 - Noblesville
    2000 - Noblesville
    2010 - Noblesville
    2011 - EV solo St Louis, PJ20 Alpine Valley
    2012 - San Fran (Oracle)
    2013 - Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincy, St Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Lexington, Wrigley
    2018 - Wrigley
    2022 - Nashville, St Louis
    2024 - Noblesville, Wrigley
    don't annoy me
  • peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    dougfloyd wrote:
    rick1zoo2 wrote:

I've never understood this. In my entire life I've never burned a bag of popcorn before, how much of an idiot do you have to be to do this? :?

Isn't there a popcorn button on most microwaves now, anyway?
    dougfloyd wrote:
    rick1zoo2 wrote:

Isn't there a popcorn button on most microwaves now, anyway?

sometimes...

part of the problem is different microwaves have different power out puts. if you have a lower power microwave at home and it takes 3.5 minutes to do a bag, and then you make the same bag in the office machine that is a higher wattage...and your habit is 3.5, you may set it for 3.5 even if it only needs 2.5 resulting in burnage
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:

sometimes...

part of the problem is different microwaves have different power out puts. if you have a lower power microwave at home and it takes 3.5 minutes to do a bag, and then you make the same bag in the office machine that is a higher wattage...and your habit is 3.5, you may set it for 3.5 even if it only needs 2.5 resulting in burnage

People need to use their heads...

...or the popcorn button.
    Ultimately, sit and listen to your popcorn popping... :lol:
    Ultimately, sit and listen to your popcorn popping... :lol:

that's the key. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg