Tips for surviving in office environment

Comments

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,889
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    turn down the volume on your phone ringer. It doesn't need to sound like a fire alarm and you are right next to it, why does it need to be that loud? you will not miss hearing it
    Even when it plays "Mighty Quinn", and yells "Yaaaaay! Text message!" when I get a text? :shifty: It has to be loud or else I can't hear it in my purse, so hmph.

Luckily hardly anyone ever calls me when I'm at work. I have a desk phone.

Might quinn?

The Bob Dylan Song? :lol: Awesome :lol:
    Yeah, but Manfred Mann's cover of it. :lol:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    PJ_Soul wrote:

Oh, come on...
    PJ_Soul wrote:

Oh, come on...
    :willshrug: What? :lol:

My alarm IS Dylan though - "The Hurricane" :P
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:

Oh, come on...

I thought you had the Dylan version :fp:
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Oh, come on...

I thought you had the Dylan version :fp:
    Only my phone's alarm is Dylan.
    PJ_Soul wrote:

That's nice

My alarm is the SportsCenter theme song :lol:
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    my ringtone is the theme to Jackass
    PJ_Soul wrote:

That's nice

My alarm is the SportsCenter theme song :lol:
    Solid.
    rick1zoo2 wrote:

Golf_Course_Airhorn_2.jpg

:lol:
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    That guy Knoxville is fucked up. :lol:
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    rick1zoo2 wrote:

Yep, Steve-O was worse :lol:
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    rick1zoo2 wrote:

Yep, Steve-O was worse :lol:
    Was that the one who died?
    Now I'm thinking I need a new ringtone.... I've had mine for two and a half years ... :think: I've got some thinking to do. :P
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Was that the one who died?

No, that was Ryan Dunn
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    get a job building/repairing highways
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    put your phone on mute
  • kw18kw18 Posts: 3,909
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    put your phone on mute

This is absolutely necessary. However, don't forget to un-mute your phone when someone asks you a question. Otherwise, people think you're not paying attention (of course you're not, but you don't want people to think you're not). :D
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."
    kw18 wrote:
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    put your phone on mute

This is absolutely necessary. However, don't forget to un-mute your phone when someone asks you a question. Otherwise, people think you're not paying attention (of course you're not, but you don't want people to think you're not). :D

on a conference call with about 50 people and someone sounds like they are rubbing their phone on their butt.

then, of course, you always have the heavy breather
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    kw18 wrote:
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    put your phone on mute

on a conference call with about 50 people and someone sounds like they are rubbing their phone on their butt.

then, of course, you always have the heavy breather

Ugh. Those people are the worst.

We've had all-staff meetings where someone will forget to mute their phone and they then take another call, resulting in hold music being played over the speakers. :fp:
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."
    I was on a call once, a few of us were in a room, one of the people in our room said "this call would go a whole lot better if that jackass wasn't on". The person working the mute/un-mute button says - "um, I didn't have it muted", that was a good laugh

:lol:
    I have things in my cubicle that have not been moved in 5 years
    I really wish I could just punch this person in the face. :x
  • PJ_Soul wrote:
    I really wish I could just punch this person in the face. :x

Ahh, yes. That would be the ultimate key to surviving the office environment.

Right now, I could use a few vicodin... that would surely help.
    Mansfield, MA - Jul 02, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 03, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 11, 2003; Boston, MA - Sep 29, 2004; Reading, PA - Oct 01, 2004; Hartford, CT - May 13, 2006; Boston, MA - May 24, 2006; Boston, MA - May 25, 2006; Hartford, CT - Jun 27, 2008; Mansfield, MA - Jun 28, 2008; Mansfield, MA - June 30, 2008; Hartford, CT - May 15, 2010; Boston, MA - May 17, 2010; [EV - Providence, RI - June 15, 2011; EV - Hartford, CT - June 18, 2011]; Worcester, MA - Oct. 15, 2013; Worcester, MA - Oct. 16, 2013; Hartford, CT - Oct. 25, 2013; Boston, MA -  August 5, 2016; Boston, MA - August 7, 2016...

It's time for my company's annual push to get employees to donate to the cause. We're a nonprofit, and the brass is big on employee participation as it reflects well on the organization.

I understand that, but I really get irked with pressure they place on us to donate. On top of donating, they run these little bake-sale fundraisers and whatnot, and I just got volunteered for a committee. Since I work remotely half a country away, pretty much the only way I can contribute to the committee is through monetary donations, which I have zero intent on doing.

So, yep, looks to be a fun fall. Woot. :-|
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."
  • afroannnieafroannnie Posts: 12,995
    kw18 wrote:
    It's time for my company's annual push to get employees to donate to the cause. We're a nonprofit, and the brass is big on employee participation as it reflects well on the organization.

I understand that, but I really get irked with pressure they place on us to donate. On top of donating, they run these little bake-sale fundraisers and whatnot, and I just got volunteered for a committee. Since I work remotely half a country away, pretty much the only way I can contribute to the committee is through monetary donations, which I have zero intent on doing.

I think we should make a bunch of these for the cart....

glow_craft_greenbuginhand.jpg?w=293&h=258
    Show #13 was a lucky one for me....
    kw18 wrote:

I hear ya. Every year there is this campaign at our university where they try and get everyone to donate money to this this fund that goes to improving students' learning experiences, and for bursaries and shit. This year they sent out the plea right in the middle of strike action, and while they were being tried by the labour board for bargaining in bad faith for trying to wrongly bring our pension into the bargaining. The labour board found the university guilty. The university appealed. They lost again. The were found to have broken the law by bargaining in bad faith with the union. Yet they had the nerve to ask us to give a part of our salary back to the very university that was trying to fuck us up the ass. :fp: I think it's really ridiculous to ask employees whose job it is to make whatever the organization is function for money. It's in bad taste. They should stick to outside donations IMO.
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    kw18 wrote:

I hear ya. Every year there is this campaign at our university where they try and get everyone to donate money to this this fund that goes to improving students' learning experiences, and for bursaries and shit. This year they sent out the plea right in the middle of strike action, and while they were being tried by the labour board for bargaining in bad faith for trying to wrongly bring our pension into the bargaining. The labour board found the university guilty. The university appealed. They lost again. The were found to have broken the law by bargaining in bad faith with the union. Yet they had the nerve to ask us to give a part of our salary back to the very university that was trying to fuck us up the ass. :fp: I think it's really ridiculous to ask employees whose job it is to make whatever the organization is function for money. It's in bad taste. They should stick to outside donations IMO.

WOW. :shock: That is in super bad taste! I would completely lose my $hit if I was in that situation ...

I get why organizations do it -- they can then go out to bigger groups and richer people and say, "Hey, our cause is so wonderful 100% of our own employees give!" It makes sense, but that's not an argument that makes me want to donate.

I generally like the work I do, and I think the company has done alright by me, by and large (letting me move across the country to work remotely is one big plus). But I give my time to this place in exchange for money -- I'm not then going to turn around and give that money back to them. If they want to ask employees, sure, go for it. But volunteering me, practically force me to donate time or money for campaign efforts, and essentially threaten people to donate for the sake of career advancement is way across the line.
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."
    kw18 wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    kw18 wrote:

WOW. :shock: That is in super bad taste! I would completely lose my $hit if I was in that situation ...

I get why organizations do it -- they can then go out to bigger groups and richer people and say, "Hey, our cause is so wonderful 100% of our own employees give!" It makes sense, but that's not an argument that makes me want to donate.

I generally like the work I do, and I think the company has done alright by me, by and large (letting me move across the country to work remotely is one big plus). But I give my time to this place in exchange for money -- I'm not then going to turn around and give that money back to them. If they want to ask employees, sure, go for it. But volunteering me, practically force me to donate time or money for campaign efforts, and essentially threaten people to donate for the sake of career advancement is way across the line.
    That's exactly it. Don't pay people money and then ask for the money back! :nono: :nono:

Most of us took the letters and stuff sent to us asking for that money and said "return to sender" + notes like "You're kidding, right??"
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    That's exactly it. Don't pay people money and then ask for the money back! :nono: :nono:

Most of us took the letters and stuff sent to us asking for that money and said "return to sender" + notes like "You're kidding, right??"

Is that all they do, just send letters? We get letters -- both internally and externally -- emails, phone calls, in-person badgering, AND it's brought up at most department meetings and at every all-staff meeting.

I can't escape it!
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."
    kw18 wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:

Is that all they do, just send letters? We get letters -- both internally and externally -- emails, phone calls, in-person badgering, AND it's brought up at most department meetings and at every all-staff meeting.

I can't escape it!
    We get one call at HOME in the evening, like telemarketers, and these incredibly expensively produced brochures and sent to our offices, and emails. :fp: I guess I wouldn't call the badgering.... quite. Although the phone call is way over the top. But you're in a WAY worse situation. No one here is keeping track or judging those who don't donate. If they are actually looking at your donation as a consideration in promotion... well, I don't even think that sounds legal. :?