Options

***Reading Festival Fanviews Here 27/8 ***

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    I was supporting PJ from the back, great view, good sound and the space to jump around as much as I liked.

I paid $$$$$$ on ebay to get to the Astoria gig in April, which was amazing because of the incredible amount of pure fans that knew all the words to all the songs.

But this Reading gig was unbelievable purely because of the scale of the event. Saaing them twice at Wembley and at the Astoria was cool because of the intimate atmosphere that they manage to create, but this, well, WOW!!!

I cannot believe they played Crown of Thorns, man did that bring back memories of my youth! They have only ever played it 15 times live too!

The first tracks were rocking as hell.

Also, it was nice to hear the TEN tracks played almost as they were on the album, very slick. That tells me that they have reconciled with their past and found a new appetite for these great songs.

It was also great to hear Baba O'Riley. I was listening to the Who in the car on the way up and telling my mate what a great song it was, and hey presto! they played it.

I loved it when they came back on with Why Go. Why Go? indeed! stay in england with us!

Someone earlier in this thread mentioned that he was surprised at the amount of Pearl Jam fans as he always perceived them to be a 'cult' band. Well me too! (though I didn't witness that many dedicated fans from where I was standing at the back). Whenever I mention PJ to anyone they always mention Ten arghhhh!

Personally I would have liked to hear Off He Goes, Wash and Come Back.

Awesome, awesome, awesome. Thankyou PJ, Come Back!

ps I see that there is a load of stuff available on You Tube. Does anyone know if I can download a video of the whole gig anywhere?
    And now I rub my eyes... for he has returned
    Seems my preconceptions are what should have been burned...
  • Options
    I have to say that it says alot for the reading crowd - I was worried about the day with all the heavy bands plus taking back sunday - luckily enough the 5,000 or so heavy metallers left and up to 70,000 people enjoyed what I would say was the best gig I have ever been to

and I am still buzzing from it

excellent

PJ to come and tour the UK in 2007!!! please

JC
  • Options
    this was my first pearl jam experience. i've been in love with them since 1999, but was abroad when they played in 2000, and couldnt afford the astoria... looked on ebay but at £250 a pop, i would have maxed out my overdraft...

they were AMAZING. just how i imagined they would be, and just how they are in the countless videos and dvds ive watched of them over the years.

the massive audience was pretty overwhelming too, though the people i was standing next to could have been more enthusiastic, i must have looked like a right nutter compared to them. still, some people don't understand how privileged they should feel...

set list was good too, to be honest i would have loved anything they played, crown of thorns was special though! a little more off no code couldnt have hurt, still, who cares eh??
  • Options
    Reading was my first pearl jam gig too and was extra special cos i got to experience it with my sis who is just as big a fan. Words cant express how unbelievable the whole thing was! I was worried that they may dissapoint as I had been building it up for so long (how could I have doubted them!) but it was just FUCKING AMAZING!!! I regressed to my teens, jumping around, crying & screaming! And, I have to agree with everyone else - RVM was a treat I really wasnt expecting as was Jeremy (heard they hadnt played it at Leeds).

When Eddie started getting tears in his eyes I think my heart broke, the whole night made me fall in love with them all over again!
  • Options
    you can watch the guys in action, 3 lives tracks available to watch on the website below.......

http://www.tiscali.co.uk/events/2006/reading/index.html?channel=&id=47&reading=1

Enjoy.........
  • Options
    My favourite performance at Reading was probably Save You, just because it was better than the record - just perfect!

Sad was also amazing.

It was a great setlist but can't help feeling Leeds had the best one, I would have killed to see Not For You, Daughter and State Of Love and Trust. Also would have loved to see No Code tracks making an appearance.

How the hell Eddie keeps his voice is just a mystery - I mean Save You, Blood, Rearviewmirror - in a row! I was amazed

One of my top gigs ever and WAAAAY better than the 2000 tour (which had Binaural tracks to weigh it down).
  • Options
    As you can see from my nick, Im from Peru, ive been here in the UK for 3 years. THIS was the first time Ive ever seen PJ , and WOW, I really enjoyed this gig, I was 10 rows from the front on the right. The crowd went crazy when PJ started off with corduroy :) , I was lucky to get such a FIRST TIME gig. My favourite ones were Why go?, blood, RVM, actually all of them, but those are like the highlights :). Quite an expensive day but it was worth it.
    THANKS PJ for such an awesome gig

Fidel :)
  • Options
    CageyCagey Posts: 220
    Byrdman wrote:

How the hell Eddie keeps his voice is just a mystery - I mean Save You, Blood, Rearviewmirror - in a row! I was amazed

yeah, that was nice section of the set, at the end of Blood I already had RVM in my head, listening to Vs alot, in sequence, does that. Then they sort of played around with the intro, and I didn't think they were gonna do it, delighted they did.
    All my favourite singers have stolen all of my best lines.
  • Options
    Absolutely brilliant concert. After hearing " Crown of Thorns", the following day I ordered Apple, the Mother Love Bone CD, from Amazon so I could hear the original. ( It arrived today and the album is brilliant)
    Eddie was superb on the night and was clearly emotional.
    What a great band.
  • Options
    CageyCagey Posts: 220
    Absolutely brilliant concert. After hearing " Crown of Thorns", the following day I ordered Apple, the Mother Love Bone CD, from Amazon so I could hear the original. ( It arrived today and the album is brilliant)
    What a great band.

MLB were a bit too 'glam' for me mostly, but Chloe dancer/crown o thorns and Man of Golden words (where the 'Temple of the Dog' name originated) are class ballads. I do prefer the Chloe dancer intro version of Crown of thorns, which was on their GH's and also the Singles OST.
    All my favourite singers have stolen all of my best lines.
  • Options
    BuruBuru Posts: 8,473
    What a great band.

love plenty of Mother Love Bones songs!
    Crown of thorns is absolutely beautiful
    so happy I had a chance to listen to that!
    y la banda de Guille... cuando toca?
  • Options
    For those of you who want to re-live the moment you can watch 3 live tracks - (World wide suicide, alive, why go) on the following website -

http://www.tiscali.co.uk/events/2006/reading/index.html?channel=&id=47&reading=1

Enojy...........
  • Options
    I just have to say, seeing Pearl jam after 13 years of trying was the most amazing experience ever! I am a massive fan and my main ambition has been to see Pearl jam perfomr live and I have to say it was even better than I ever could have imagined! Eddie Vedder was simply beautiful - the voice was as good, if not better, than the records, he was charming and caring and not to mention completely sexy! I fell in love all over again and hev never enjoyed a night so much. The best ban in the world by far! Thank you for such an amazing experience Pearl jam - I am now fulfilled. But...I hope Eddie addresses his concern about not coming to Uk enough as now i've had some, i want more!! DO A UK TOUR!
  • Options
    KeithosKeithos Posts: 853
    Ok... so her are my little photos from Dublin and Reading! I hope you enjoy, folks ;)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jonny_rio/sets/72157594271704453/
  • Options
    OlivavuOlivavu England Posts: 1,683
    I loved it and have to say that it's the best live experience of my whole life...even better than when I've seen them before.

Can't wait for Paris!
  • Options
    pears23 wrote:
    For those of you who want to re-live the moment you can watch 3 live tracks - (World wide suicide, alive, why go) on the following website -

Enojy...........
    thank you... I am so envious... can not wait for Honolulu.....
    Up the West Coast in 2006 and Hawaii++Santa Barbara, San Fran x 3, Portland, Gorge x2
    Chicago and Down the Coast in 2003
    Seattle 2005
    SF 2000, 2001, 2003--- oh or you can come to terms and realize you're the only one who cannot forgive yourself
  • Options
    from the most amazing live show that I've had the pleasure of watching, and I still can't get the set list out of my head. I did have the BBC3 coverage on Sky+ to keep me sane but my girlfriend acidentally deleted it last night! Which is what prompted me to join the message pit.
    Does anyone have BBC3 coverage including the pre show interview with Mike?
    I was totally blown away by PJ at Reading and it was definitely worth the 15 year wait.
    As this is my first post on here, may I take the time to say hi to Pearl Jam fans around the world.
    Reading 27/08/2006 'This is your time, this is your place'
  • Options
    OlivavuOlivavu England Posts: 1,683
    from the most amazing live show that I've had the pleasure of watching, and I still can't get the set list out of my head. I did have the BBC3 coverage on Sky+ to keep me sane but my girlfriend acidentally deleted it last night! Which is what prompted me to join the message pit.
    Does anyone have BBC3 coverage including the pre show interview with Mike?
    I was totally blown away by PJ at Reading and it was definitely worth the 15 year wait.
    As this is my first post on here, may I take the time to say hi to Pearl Jam fans around the world.

It's available for download somewhere...the link is about.

I shall see if I can find it...or if someone else knows it.
  • Options
    Cheers, but I found a guy doing the whole show (including the interview) on a B&P deal in the porch http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=214561&highlight=reading
    Thanks for your time though.
    Reading 27/08/2006 'This is your time, this is your place'
  • Options
    I have been waiting 11 days to post here... too many technical hitches..... now i finally can. But you guys have already said it all.... it WAS the most amazing gig I have ever been to... after being so unlucky and not being able to see PJ in all my 15 years of loving everything they have done (almost) - I reckon it can't come much better than Reading... so much passion, emotion, energy.....

Thanks to MCR and Placebo for getting me more in the mood after a crappy afternoon of traipsing round very average performances....

I managed to be right down the front, and what a great bunch of PJ fans... the mosh-pit is the only place to be...

I have thought of little else since... I couldn't even remove the green tape around my wrist for a week... and I'm a grown woman!! My kids kept asking what it was for... great memories... and now for Prague in two weeks time!! A beautiful city that I have never been to, seeing the greatest live band in the world.... roll on!!
  • Options
    What a gig! I am so glad i managed to get a day ticket for the sunday. The price was worth it as i was there only for Pearl Jam, and just enjoyed the rest of the music on offer as a kinda bonus really! Am lucky to have got the main set recorded on video - but hopefully an official release of the whole gig could be made if there is enough of us asking for it...... here's hoping anyway. There are a load of individual sondgs on you tube that i saw, especially Baba O Riley which was awesome!

The last time I saw them was in 2003 in Melbourne (i was on holiday in Australia and managed to fit the gig into my plans!)

The set at Reading was near perfect - always wanted to hear Crazy Mary live - but I guess I'll have to keep seeing them and hopefully it'll turn up on one of their set lists when I'm there.
  • Options
    2003 - Sydney x3,
    2006 - Reading Festival,
    2007 - Katowice, London, Nijmegen, Rock Werchter,
    2008 - MSG x2, Hartford, Mansfield x2, Beacon Theater,
    2009 - Melbourne, Sydney,
    2010 - I watched it go to fire!
    2011 - EV Brisbane x3, Newcastle, Sydney x3,
    2012 - Manchester x 2, Amsterdam x2, Prague, Berlin x2, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen,
    2014 - Sydney, EV Sydney x3

I wave to all my Friends... Yeah!
  • Options
    Bit late to this, and I'm going to brief, but Reading was awesome! It was a proper hair standing up on the back of the neck moment, particularly when the beginning riff of Alive kicked in!! But it was just amazing, and Eddies emotion only added to making it such an important set. The best set Reading saw that weekend, and possibly will ever see. :)
    Reading Festival - 27th August 2006
    Paris Bercy - 11th September 2006
    Wembley Arena - 18th June 2007
  • Options
    I agree will be hard to match!!!!!!!!!

Seen them a few times now, and feel really lucky to have been able to see them in Reading...just blew me away
  • Options
    PEARL JAM frontman EDDIE VEDDER wept onstage during the band's headlining performance at the Reading Festival in England last night (27AUG06). The ALIVE band last played the event backing NEIL YOUNG in 1995, and an emotional Vedder was moved by the size of the audience at the 65,000 capacity festival. Shedding a tear, Vedder told the crowd, "A band doesn't come to England enough for a turnout like this. "This is the first time we've played Reading in 15 years (sic). You guys have been camping here for three days and we've been staying in a f**king hotel." Pearl Jam finished their two hour set with a cover of THE WHO classic BABA O'REILLY, which Vedder dedicated to the legendary British band.
  • Options
    myth4343 wrote:
    PEARL JAM frontman EDDIE VEDDER wept onstage during the band's headlining performance at the Reading Festival in England last night (27AUG06). The ALIVE band last played the event backing NEIL YOUNG in 1995, and an emotional Vedder was moved by the size of the audience at the 65,000 capacity festival. Shedding a tear, Vedder told the crowd, "A band doesn't come to England enough for a turnout like this. "This is the first time we've played Reading in 15 years (sic). You guys have been camping here for three days and we've been staying in a f**king hotel." Pearl Jam finished their two hour set with a cover of THE WHO classic BABA O'REILLY, which Vedder dedicated to the legendary British band.

Where's that from? It's wrong, they finished (the second encore) with Yellow Ledbetter. Still can't forget it, btw. It defined my 2006, really.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • Options

Hey Vedder Soup :D

Awesome pics thanks a lot...

Did you make it to Barcelona? Vienna was fantastic... mindblowing... see my post on the Vienna reviews ;)
    Euro 2007: Madrid 09/06 Wembley 18/06, Düsseldorf 21/06, Copenhagen 26/06, Nijmegen 28/06, Werchter 29/06

Astoria 20/04/06
    Reading - 27/08/06
    Vienna - 25/09/06 - the BEST day of my life
  • Options
    shmikeshmike Posts: 216
    Great pictures Veddersoup.....cheers!!!
    Living the dream in 2006 - Astoria, Reading & Prague
    And 2007 - Wembley

With alchohol in leaf and tree it must be natures plan, for there to be to some degree...alchohol in man
  • Options
    A big hello to all Pearl Jam fans out there across the World! This is my first ever message so thought I'd better start with the obvious….Pearl Jam rule all!!!

As a festival virgin I saw them for the first time at Reading and they blew me away!!! My blonde friend who was with me….see Touring Band 2000 dvd-europe montages, she is the blonde lady bouncing around right after a guy with a massive peaked red cap, cool aye….anyway she took a whole disposable camera's worth of pictures, just gutted I can't share them with you as she got some good'uns considering we were 4 rows from the front but squashed in like sardines!?! Got it downloaded onto cd which has been played constantly for the last 2 months (sorry to my neighbours!)……favourites are Crown of Thorns - I feel privileged to have heard this performed so superbly (RIP Andy), Betterman and of course the icing on the cake Yellow Ledbetter! After they left the stage for good (boo hoo) and the crowd dispersed me n blondie stood hugging and crying for about 10 minutes. This truly was one of the greatest moments of my life well worth waiting 15 years for!!!

The only 2 things I ask of pearl jam now is that they come back to England soon as I feel us english fans get a raw deal being so far away. And secondly please please please release unplugged on dvd, my friend has got it on her i-pod but not a soul has got it taped :O(

Can't find a better woman!