Options

Official Neil Young Thread

Comments

• Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,950
    There are 4 tiers

Subscriber (basic. Pretty much only a newsletter/email blast level)
    Classic ($25/yr - Gets you access to all the music on the site)
    Rust ($45/yr - Gets you Classic level + exclusive video streams)
    Patron ($99/ry - Everything mentioned + an occasional group Zoom call with Neil)
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,950
    Do people rip the concerts? 
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,632
    Do people rip the concerts? 
    Yes.  The Bridge shows with PJ are around.  The whole shows though, not just PJ.  
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,021
    CAPITALIST to have tiers. 

But not to pricey for a year. Does it autorenew or can I pay for a year and skip it next without being charged for another?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    OfThePearlOfThePearl Posts: 632
    I'm at the Ford Theater now. Anyone with an extra ticket, PM  me!!
  • Options
    pjpitt89pjpitt89 Posts: 1,821
    Anyone have a code for a trial or something, wasn’t that a thing?
    9/1/00, 4/28/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/12/03, 10/1/04, 9/28/05, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 6/1/06, 6/27/08, 6/30/08, 8/7/08 (EV), 6/12/09 (EV), 10/27/09, 10/28/09,10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 6/15/11 (EV), 9/2/12, 7/19/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 10/27/13, 4/28/16, 4/29/16, 8/7/16, 11/4/16 (TOTD), 8/18/18, 8/20/18, 9/24/21 (EV&Earthlings), 9/26/21, 9/11/2022, 9/14/2022
  • Options
    jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,402
    pjpitt89 said:
    Anyone have a code for a trial or something, wasn’t that a thing?
    Yes, yes there was, supposedly…

I think it was around Christmas two years ago (maybe???). A gift subscription for NYA members to gift. 

I believe I said I’d pass it along to you. I never got it….

did any other NYA members receive this?   
  • Options
    onemorshowonemorshow Posts: 383
    edited July 2023

Went to Neil tonight in Paso Robles. Here’s what Neil had for sale at merchandise stand

Show was great!! 👍😎👍
    Post edited by onemorshow on
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,732

Went to Neil tonight in Paso Robles. Here’s what Neil had for sale at merchandise stand

Show was great!! 👍😎👍

$50 for a t-shirt... ouch!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,288

“Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,117
    brianlux said:

Show was great!! 👍😎👍

Bri, 50 is the new 20…ouch! But great to see Neil playing a bunch of shows again!
  • Options
    Neil atleast is going all in on fairtrade and stuff like that. With his shirts. 

Bruces shirts were $55 here. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    brianlux said:

Show was great!! 👍😎👍

Bri, 50 is the new 20…ouch! But great to see Neil playing a bunch of shows again!

LOL, inflation is definitely a thing, L, but I look at all the cool Dinosaur Jr. t-shirts you can get  for $30!

$50 for a t-shirt to me seems like extortion.  I love Neil, but the man is not hurting for money.  But oh well, maybe he doesn't have much say on the matter.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,436
    brianlux said:

Show was great!! 👍😎👍

The Cure shirts were only $25!
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,288
    Maybe I do need to start saving after all…

“Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    brianlux said:

Show was great!! 👍😎👍

The Cure shirts were only $25!

Nice!  :smiley:

• Options
    BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,939
    goldrush said:
    Maybe I do need to start saving after all…

Oh wow! 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options
    Hopefully Europe next summer then... 

Outdoors I'm guessing mean Crazy Horse or a band at least? 
  • Options
    Chrome Dreams II is too expensive.

And I really want that Ducks live album (it was the only one out of the latest three that were soundboard - right?) but it's expensive too :(
  • Options
    Just finished this fun read, Neil Young Nation, by Kevin Chong.
    Basic synopsis:
    Canadian writer decides to retrace the travels of a young Neil Young from Winnipeg to Toronto to Albuquerque to Las Vegas to L.A. (where Young met Stills and the others and started Buffalo Springfield).
    Takes two stoner friends, misc. camping gear etc., and a hatbox full of "space cakes along for the ride.
    Meets various people who have known or met Young and interviews them.
    Reflects of various musical periods in Young's career.
    Finishes trip up north in Auburn Washington to attend Farm Aid 2004.

A fun road trip of a book.  Not my top Neil related book, but up there and well worth the time to rad.  Also several cool photos (and keeping the copy I read on the shelf with my other Neil books).
    Neil Young Nation A Quest an Obsession and a True Story Chong Kevin  9781553651161 Amazoncom Books

• Options
    brianlux said:
    Basic synopsis:
    Canadian writer decides to retrace the travels of a young Neil Young from Winnipeg to Toronto to Albuquerque to Las Vegas to L.A. (where Young met Stills and the others and started Buffalo Springfield).
    Takes two stoner friends, misc. camping gear etc., and a hatbox full of "space cakes along for the ride.

A fun road trip of a book.  Not my top Neil related book, but up there and well worth the time to rad.  Also several cool photos (and keeping the copy I read on the shelf with my other Neil books).
    Neil Young Nation A Quest an Obsession and a True Story Chong Kevin  9781553651161 Amazoncom Books

Could this be a good gift for ones dad who turns 69?
  • Options
    Silver & Gold is so weird. The fact that it is still readily available on vinyl for cheap. 23 years later. 

What happened there
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    Silver & Gold is so weird. The fact that it is still readily available on vinyl for cheap. 23 years later. 

What happened there
    It's a damn masterpiece. It baffles me that I was able to pick up a sealed copy recently for $25.  If the songs from the CSNY Looking Forward album had been on there, it would have been up there with Harvest and Harvest Moon as his top commercial successes for sure.  I love silver and gold.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    static111 said:

What happened there
    It's a damn masterpiece. It baffles me that I was able to pick up a sealed copy recently for $25.  If the songs from the CSNY Looking Forward album had been on there, it would have been up there with Harvest and Harvest Moon as his top commercial successes for sure.  I love silver and gold.
    The holy trinity of trilogies: HARVEST, HARVEST MOON, SILVER & GOLD

But still. So weird with the vinyl. Warner Brothers must have pressed 10 times the amount by mistake back in the day.
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    Basic synopsis:

Could this be a good gift for ones dad who turns 69?

Possibly.  I'm almost 72 and I liked it, but then, like Neil himself said, "People my age/ they don't do the things I do."  If dad is open to a wider age spectrum than "boomer" culture and is a Neil fan, he would probably like it.  If he is a die hard boomer-culture-only kind of guy, he may not.  Chong (born in 1975) and his traveling companions are Gen X and I think this book would appeal a lot to a typical gen X Pearl Jam fan.  On the other hand, Chong does interview some boomer aged people and he seems like an very open mined kind guy.

I hope that helps.

The other books to consider as a gift for dad (if he doesn't already have them) would be one of Neil's memoirs- Waging Heavy Peace and Special Deluxe (the latter especially if dad is into cars).  
    Scott Young's Neil and Me is great pick for Young fans.  I thoroughly enjoyed it.
    Another good one is John Einarson's Neil Young: The Canadian Years, which traces Young's early years developing as a musician and up through his journey to L.A. and the advent of Buffalo Springfield.  Einarson is Canadian and has a lot of experience and knowledge of the places pertinent to the story.  
    Oddly enough, even though Neil later basically said he hated the book, Jimmy McDonough's Neil Young biography Shakey is an engaging read.  Despite being reputed to have some factual errors, McDonough's book has a strong sense of the Neil Young vibe and is an excellent read because of that
    Oh, and one more.  If dad is kind of a music trivia buff, another one to consider is Glen Boyd's Neil Young FAQ.  It is packed with tons of Neil Young trivia , data, and info, and covers all periods up through Le Noise (unless there is an updated version I don't know about).

• Options
    static111 said:

What happened there
    Silver and gold is possibly my favorite NY album. If not, it’s certainly the one I go back to the most. 
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    Looking forward to checking out the Atmos mixes from Neil’s catalog on Apple Music! 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    After The Gold Rush in Atmos. Holy fuck.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,436
    Looks like Neil is playing a show at the Roxy in Hollywood as part of the venue's 50th anniversary.