A Song Of Ice & Fire GRRM's Book Thread **Spoilers**

Comments

• intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Alfie Allen won't be told any more secrets moving foward after George hears about this interview.

You know, I asked him about who Jon Snow's real parents were, and he told me. I can't say who, but I can tell you that it involves a bit of a Luke Skywalker situation. It will all come to fruition eventually. The whole thing with all the fight over proper succession is partly inspired by the War of the Roses in the late 1400s, and back then, to ensure pedigree, the monarchies were kind of inbred. It's definitely fucked up, but it definitely happened back then, so that's why there's incest with the Targaryen line. It's toned down, though.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • shepshep Posts: 5,759
    intodeep wrote:
    Alfie Allen won't be told any more secrets moving foward after George hears about this interview.

You know, I asked him about who Jon Snow's real parents were, and he told me. I can't say who, but I can tell you that it involves a bit of a Luke Skywalker situation. It will all come to fruition eventually. The whole thing with all the fight over proper succession is partly inspired by the War of the Roses in the late 1400s, and back then, to ensure pedigree, the monarchies were kind of inbred. It's definitely fucked up, but it definitely happened back then, so that's why there's incest with the Targaryen line. It's toned down, though.

All this does is confirm the Rhegar/Lysanna theory doesn't it?

Would be a good end to the series to see John Snow marrying Danearys to end the story.... no?
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
    shep wrote:
    intodeep wrote:

Would be a good end to the series to see John Snow marrying Danearys to end the story.... no?
    I think you are right about the R+L=J
    It would be a cool ending, but i don't know if either of them are going to live.

I wouldn't be surprised if they save teh realm but die doing it and then in the epilogue you find out that even with the world saved the Game of Thrones still goes on just with new players.
    Or the Others are not really the bad guys and we end up sympathizing with them and they take over teh world again
    Who knows. I just wish he would get cracking on that next book.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    shep wrote:
    intodeep wrote:

jon would break his vows to the nights watch???

im just past halfway in book 2 and i know theres a whole lot of stuff im unaware of. but right now i find jon, bran stark and tyrion the most interesting characters.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • MotoDCMotoDC Posts: 947
    intodeep wrote:
    I think the odds of them wrapping up a big movie star like Sean Beam for 5-6 years would not work. It was the perfect role for them to get a big name for just one season to get more interest in the show and hopefully help get ratings up to get Season 2.

I have a feeling if they came to him with a more long term role he would have turned it down. It would limit too much of what he may want to do with movies moving forward. He may have to turn down movies that are filming at the same time as GOT so that would not be advantageous to him.
    Interesting. Hadn't thought of that. Is he really that busy? No disrespect to Sean Beam -- love him as an actor -- but his filmography isn't that overwhelming since LOTR and Troy. Per IMDB, he also did a voiceover for Elder Scrolls: Oblivion.

And how much time per year do they spend filming each season? I admit I'm kinda ignorant about the production side of TV and movies.
    intodeep wrote:
    I have a feeling if they came to him with a more long term role he would have turned it down. It would limit too much of what he may want to do with movies moving forward. He may have to turn down movies that are filming at the same time as GOT so that would not be advantageous to him.

i think neds honour wouldve appealed to sean bean. the man died because of it. and i think thats why neds death was felt so keenly. i know there was no way he wasnt gonna die. sean beans presence in that role gave it gravitas.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say

jon would break his vows to the nights watch???

im just past halfway in book 2 and i know theres a whole lot of stuff im unaware of. but right now i find jon, bran stark and tyrion the most interesting characters.

My lips are sealed about Jon until you catch up. :|
    Also, I would be careful reading this thread. There are some things you don't want to spoil yourself on that happen in Book 3 particularly.

I think you are right about Sean being drawn to the role because of the honor. It is a nice role.

Beam has done some other films as well recently and I can't speak for the actor, but I have to think if in the next 5 years he lands one or two good films it could easily make up for the TV money they woudl pay him. I'm pretty sure you can make some nice bank in a good film role so I would expect he would want to keep his options open.

Filming is usually july through Oct of each year (maybe september). I know they are just now getting started on Season 3 filming.
    One of the reason's they had to get a new Mountain is he got a nice role in an upcoming movie that was filming at the same time. (of course rumor is the prodcuers were glad to see him go because he was a dick so i'm not sure if they kind of pushed him out or not)

It sure would have been cool to have Beam as Stannis though the entire time that would have been cool. I do think it helped him being a "bigger" actor and dying. I think it helped with the shock. A lot of folks were like they are not going to kill off Beam he is the star! (of course he dies in pretty much everything :lol: )

I just wish Season 3 was on TV in the Winter and then Season 4 in the Spring. I need more GOT on Sunday night
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    intodeep wrote:
    My lips are sealed about Jon until you catch up. :|
    Also, I would be careful reading this thread. There are some things you don't want to spoil yourself on that happen in Book 3 particularly.

I think you are right about Sean being drawn to the role because of the honor. It is a nice role.

Beam has done some other films as well recently and I can't speak for the actor, but I have to think if in the next 5 years he lands one or two good films it could easily make up for the TV money they woudl pay him. I'm pretty sure you can make some nice bank in a good film role so I would expect he would want to keep his options open.

Filming is usually july through Oct of each year (maybe september). I know they are just now getting started on Season 3 filming.
    One of the reason's they had to get a new Mountain is he got a nice role in an upcoming movie that was filming at the same time. (of course rumor is the prodcuers were glad to see him go because he was a dick so i'm not sure if they kind of pushed him out or not)

It sure would have been cool to have Beam as Stannis though the entire time that would have been cool. I do think it helped him being a "bigger" actor and dying. I think it helped with the shock. A lot of folks were like they are not going to kill off Beam he is the star! (of course he dies in pretty much everything :lol: )

I just wish Season 3 was on TV in the Winter and then Season 4 in the Spring. I need more GOT on Sunday night

well i for one thought WTF!! they cut off sean beans head???? that is bullshit. but that was before i became absorbed by the game of thrones.but now as a reader i understand the rules. and it doesnt matter what is discussed in this thread... nothing can spoil anything ive not read yet. but you know simply by what youve said.... or not said... in regards to jon.. youve already told me. ;)

oh and as for 'making up the money'... it isnt always about that for the serious actors. a brilliant role is what theyre looking for... on they can sink their teeth into.... one they can bring to life and give resonance to. this is the kind of actor i think sean bean is.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    Oh My God

I just finished reading the part in book 3 where Robb and his men go to Lord Walter Frey's Twins for the wedding of Edmure to one of Frey's daughters and what.............the...................fuck

I am speechless and blown away, I can't believe that the story arc went there

how could Martin do this, and where does the story go from here for the Starks, this is unbelievable, I should of saw it coming with the scene's of Robb's heir but wow

man, unbelievable, there is no character safe, and I'm kinda saddened
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
    edited June 2012
    smarchee wrote:
    Oh My God

I just finished reading the part in book 3 where Robb and his men go to Lord Walter Frey's Twins for the wedding of Edmure to one of Frey's daughters and what.............the...................fuck

how could Martin do this, and where does the story go from here for the Starks, this is unbelievable, I should of saw it coming with the scene's of Robb's heir but wow

Beyond a doubt the Red Wedding is one of the most jarring things i've read in a book. I was like WTF are you for real. I had to put the book down and vent to my roomate who had no idea what i was talking about.

Jamie Lannister sends his regards........
    Post edited by intodeep on
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    not looking not looking...just a quick pop-in....got about 300 pages of ADWD left...I'm determined to finish it soon so I can follow this thread!!

Dany finally flew!!! WOOOOOOOO!
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
    intodeep wrote:
    smarchee wrote:
    Oh My God

Beyond a doubt the Red Wedding is one of the most jarring things i've read in a book. I was like WTF are you for real. I had to put the book down and vent to my roomate who had no idea what i was talking about.

Jamie Lannister sends his regards........

yeah jarring is a great way to put it, wow, I was really bothered there, lol, fucking great how books do that to you. These characters become so apart of your daily existence that you become attached to them. Nonetheless, I was seriously considering putting the book down for the rest of the day, but after a couple of hours a break I resumed, Lord Tywin what a brilliant strategic move

that's funny how you had to vent to your roomate who was oblivious to this story cause I certainly can understand being floored by that part, I had to run right here and post right away cause I had no one to speak to.

onward towards the end of Storm of Sords, I presume Jon Snow becomes even more important
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
    finished the 3rd book, wow, took me 3 weeks to read though but I could not read anything else for the last week

that book smashed alot of character plots of where I thought they were going and where the story overall was going, so much impressed there

Lady Catelyn at the end? WTF

Had to read that twice to understand what was taking place

I have 2 non-fiction books to read and then on to book # 4 in about 3 weeks
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
    smarchee wrote:
    Oh My God

i just read this part. i am speechless also and i cried. i couldnt believe it. holy fuck! and with arya so close and now in so much danger should it be revealed who she is. i have my own theories about how this story will pan out and this doesnt change that, but still.... im going back to the book now to read on... holy fuck!
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    smarchee wrote:
    finished the 3rd book, wow, took me 3 weeks to read though but I could not read anything else for the last week

that book smashed alot of character plots of where I thought they were going and where the story overall was going, so much impressed there

Lady Catelyn at the end? WTF

Had to read that twice to understand what was taking place

I have 2 non-fiction books to read and then on to book # 4 in about 3 weeks
    A Feast for Crows is good but just prepare yourself as you'll be reading about a lot of stuff in Dorne, Brienne, and other plots. No Jon, No Tyrion, No Dany, No Bran and very little Arya. So many of the fan favs are absent but it is still a good read.

The stuff with Littlefinger at the end of Storm of Swords is interesting. He really is a puppet master
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    intodeep wrote:
    Feast for Crows is good but just prepare yourself as you'll be reading about a lot of stuff in Dorne, Brienne, and other plots. No Jon, No Tyrion, No Dany, No Bran and very little Arya. So many of the fan favs are absent but it is still a good read.

The stuff with Littlefinger at the end of Storm of Swords is interesting. He really is a puppet master

yeah i wonder what hes up to? :think:

no tyrion?????? :(

no bran???? :(

no jon???? :(

no dany??? :clap: her story isnt holding my interest... tho the dragons intrigue me.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    I would be okay if Dany died. I mean it would be stupid for the author to bring us this far with her only for her to die now, but jesus i'm tired of her.

Winds with Winter better bring the Thunder. I want shit to start going down.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    intodeep wrote:
    I would be okay if Dany died. I mean it would be stupid for the author to bring us this far with her only for her to die now, but jesus i'm tired of her.

it would be great if she gains the throne without the dragons somehow.. there is something about her that annoys me tho. and i dont want stannis to be crowned king of everything if melisandre is behind it. as far as im concernd the throne should be gained by the sword ... not magic.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • shepshep Posts: 5,759
    intodeep wrote:

Agreed with you there... She needs to do something worthwhile instead of pi$$ing around in mehreen... it's a waste of everyone's time. Your dragons aren't going to grow unless you let them out of the pits (my thanks goes out to the dornish prince), and they aren't going to do you much good in war unless you train them... if you're going to sit in one place for so long you should atleast have been working on those 2 points.
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
    shep wrote:
    intodeep wrote:

Agreed with you there... She needs to do something worthwhile instead of pi$$ing around in mehreen... it's a waste of everyone's time. Your dragons aren't going to grow unless you let them out of the pits (my thanks goes out to the dornish prince), and they aren't going to do you much good in war unless you train them... if you're going to sit in one place for so long you should atleast have been working on those 2 points.

well she may be a queen but shes still only a teenager, so theres some maturity and wisdom missing that she needs to gain before she can truly be QUEEN of everything. im hoping she allows jorah to return and help her find that maturity and wisdom she needs.... if not then i dont really care what happens to her.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    oh cersei.. my lovely lovely cersei...

.... suck it.

the degree to which i hate her balances perfectly the degree to which im increasingly liking jaime.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say

.... suck it.

the degree to which i hate her balances perfectly the degree to which im increasingly liking jaime.

I hate her almost as much as i hated joffrey
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • MotoDCMotoDC Posts: 947
    intodeep wrote:

.... suck it.

It's a toss up! Afterall, we have to credit some of joffrey's awfulness to his queen regent mother.
    MotoDC wrote:
    intodeep wrote:

.... suck it.

It's a toss up! Afterall, we have to credit some of joffrey's awfulness to his queen regent mother.

joffreys a child. hes like draco malfoy... a product of his upbringing.

you know its funny.. i was watching series 1 last night and cersei comes in to brans bedroom and talks with catelyn about how her own first born son died and how dark of hair he was, blah blah blah and i thought she really should keep her mouth shut. but i know from reading the books that she cant and she just continues digging a bigger hole for herself... and i LOVE IT!!!
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    Still not finished - have about 50 pages left....but I had to check in...

JON SNOW???? ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME GRRM??? Book was thrown against the wall TWICE and I won't be picking it up again until my anger subsides.

:evil: :evil: :evil:
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    Mamasan23 wrote:

JON SNOW???? ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME GRRM??? Book was thrown against the wall TWICE and I won't be picking it up again until my anger subsides.

:lol::lol::lol: you were warned ... :lol::lol:

don't worry ... we're all pretty sure he'll be back ... ;)
    polaris_x wrote:
    Mamasan23 wrote:

I was seriously devastated and had to read the page like 10 times. Fuck you Bowen Marsh! I'm hoping that he's not completely gone yet...when people 'go unconscious' like that they tend to come back, so I'm gonna hold on to that. This series is nothing without Jon Snow!!!!
    intodeep wrote:

ya ... i have no interest in her on a throne of any kind ...

i wouldn't hold your breath for shit to start going down ... for all we know ... dude is gonna write another 850 describing tapestry adorning some wine cellar ... :evil: plus, dude is too busy touring the world ... wenching it up likely ... i don't think we'll see anything till 2015
    edited August 2012
    polaris_x wrote:
    Mamasan23 wrote:

Agreed.
    I would like him to become ghost to warg into him and at least for a while and to go to Winterfell on his own and start ripping people to shreds as ghost.

Then somehow he has to come back as Azohr Ahi (sp? been too long since i read it) that dream he had of him standing on the wall with a red sword..... gotta be him. I assume Melisandre will breath life back in him.

IF jon is dead as in not coming back that is dumb.
    Post edited by intodeep on
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    I was seriously devastated and had to read the page like 10 times. Fuck you Bowen Marsh! I'm hoping that he's not completely gone yet...when people 'go unconscious' like that they tend to come back, so I'm gonna hold on to that. This series is nothing without Jon Snow!!!!

he's for sure coming back ... you pretty much need your head cut off to die in this series ... and even then ... there has to be a witness that it was actually that person ... :lol: