A Song Of Ice & Fire GRRM's Book Thread **Spoilers**

Comments

• pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Posts: 9,895
    I don't see her resurrection until the end of season 4 or so. My guess is they let the RW stand alone as the big event from season 3. Let everyone think she is gone for a while. The wedding will be shocking enough, and there is still so much more that is going to happen next year.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    At TOR they have a reader giving reactions after each chapter. they read the Red Wedding Chapter in time for this week. Fantastic Reaction.
    Note if you don't like cursing this will offend you

Commentary
    Fucking hell.

Fucking HELL.

FUCKING HELL, WHAT THE FUCKING FUCK WAS THAT FUCKING SHIT??

Fuck.

Fuck!

I’m sorry, we are experiencing rage blackout difficulties. Please come back later when my urge to find George R.R. Martin and slap him with a wet fish has died to a dull roar.

Fuck. I need a drink.

*walks away*

Okay, I have a drink now. I’m all better.

No, fuck that shit, I am NOT all better. Jesus H. Christ. Y’all, my heart is actually hurting me right now and my fingers are kind of shaking, and I’m maybe a little too much invested in this and that is really bad because this is obviously the LAST story one should get invested with the characters in it because they ALL FUCKING DIE and WHAT THE FUCKING HELL.

Because, okay, I knew Walder was going to pull something and I kind of worried that it was going to be an assassination attempt but even though I really REALLY ought to know better by now I still convinced myself it was just going to be something humiliating re: Roslin and not a fucking massacre, because JESUS, WALDER, HOW THE FUCK IS THAT A PROPORTIONAL RESPONSE TO A JILTING, YOU FUCKING WEEPING PUSTULE.

And even if there was an assassination attempt, I convinced myself, surely Robb would survive it. Or even if Robb didn’t survive it, surely Catelyn would survive it, because that is what she does, she survives, right? Martin can’t kill off Catelyn, right?

AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH

I would *headdesk*, but that doesn’t seem like a proportional response either.

Of course, this wasn’t actually about the jilting per se, I don’t think. This was about that gangrenous ass-licking dicknozzle Walder using the jilting as an excuse to throw in with the Lannisters. Not that that makes it any better; it makes it worse, in fact. Although I’m a little puzzled that Pink Cloak Dude (who I feel like I’m supposed to know who that is but I am drawing a total blank) mentioned Jaime Lannister specifically, because isn’t Jaime still blundering around the countryside with Brienne? When would he have made a let’s all be traitors together agreement with Walder Fuckface Frey?

Well, whatever. Ugh, this is all just so sad and ugly and terrible.

Holy shit, Catelyn and Robb are dead. I can’t even fucking believe it. Jesus, when I decided to root for the Starks that was like the worst decision ever.

…Oh my God, and Arya is about to walk in on this shit. There is not enough vodka in the world.

Shit.

*goes to get another drink*
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    :D that's funny, now I'm curious to see what the reaction will be if he really does kill Jon off at the end of aDWD.
    He is hopefully at the point were the next time there is a major death it will be at the climax or leading to the climax. I dont see how jon's death would help so i'm assuming he is coming back somehow some way.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    :D that's funny, now I'm curious to see what the reaction will be if he really does kill Jon off at the end of aDWD.

there is no way jon is dead ...
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    jon snow will not die. I have a few scenarios running though my head and all of them have jon alive at the end. whether or not he stays at the wall I don't know but I suspect not. I feel bran will need him... I just don't know in what capacity.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    jon snow will not die. I have a few scenarios running though my head and all of them have jon alive at the end. whether or not he stays at the wall I don't know but I suspect not. I feel bran will need him... I just don't know in what capacity.

the fucking starks are gonna reunite ... that's what ... jon, bran and arya ... along with their wolves (whoever's still alive) and they are gonna fuck some people up ... although right now i'm not too sure who that is ... :lol::lol: ... fuck sansa and catelyn ... it's gonna take at least 2 books to make me remotely like sansa ... :lol:
    polaris_x wrote:

the fucking starks are gonna reunite ... that's what ... jon, bran and arya ... along with their wolves (whoever's still alive) and they are gonna fuck some people up ... although right now i'm not too sure who that is ... :lol::lol: ... fuck sansa and catelyn ... it's gonna take at least 2 books to make me remotely like sansa ... :lol:

sansa is a bit boring, tho maybe shell end up surprising us. rickon is too young. robb is dead(and im a little relieved at that cause he was an uncharismatic son of a bitch). as far as im concerned its always come down to jon, arya and bran. and catelyn is not a stark so who cares about her?
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    polaris_x wrote:

there is no way jon is dead ...

I don't think so either, just a great cliffhanger for GRRM to use towards the end of the book
    sansa is a bit boring, tho maybe shell end up surprising us. rickon is too young. robb is dead(and im a little relieved at that cause he was an uncharismatic son of a bitch). as far as im concerned its always come down to jon, arya and bran. and catelyn is not a stark so who cares about her?

exactly ... i have lost interest in catelyn ... still can't forgive her for treating jon snow crappy ...
    I actually like Sansa and her story arc.

I don't look at her like i do the other starks but she has survived a very dangerous journey in Kings Landing to land in the Eyrie with maybe the most dangerous person in westeros Littlefigner. If she can navagate this she will truely have learned the game of thrones.

Don't get me wrong she is far from my fav but i like her story.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    That is true, Sansa may be in the most dangerous situation of all currently.
    ya ... but she can die and no one would really care ...
    polaris_x wrote:

:lol: that is true too. I have a feeling GRRM will have her do something to try and redeem herself.Maybe stab Littlefinger in the back- literally or figuratively.
    :lol: that is true too. I have a feeling GRRM will have her do something to try and redeem herself.Maybe stab Littlefinger in the back- literally or figuratively.

like i said - it'll take at least 2 books to redeem her in my mind ... :lol::lol: ... but knowing GRRM - she's gonna be friggin' queen of the north ... :lol:
  • vant0037vant0037 Posts: 6,109
    So given how the HBO series portrayed the Red Wedding, I think it's all but assured that any allusion to Jeyne Greypoole potentially carrying Robb Stark's unborn heir (as she's not at the Red Wedding) is going to be a dead end in the books.

I'd love for Martin to maintain some independence from the TV series, but I'm concerned that the show will drive the books and not the other way around. :?
    1998-06-30 Minneapolis
    2003-06-16 St. Paul
    2006-06-26 St. Paul
    2007-08-05 Chicago
    2009-08-23 Chicago
    2009-08-28 San Francisco
    2010-05-01 NOLA (Jazz Fest)
    2011-07-02 EV Minneapolis
    2011-09-03 PJ20
    2011-09-04 PJ20
    2011-09-17 Winnipeg
    2012-06-26 Amsterdam
    2012-06-27 Amsterdam
    2013-07-19 Wrigley
    2013-11-21 San Diego
    2013-11-23 Los Angeles
    2013-11-24 Los Angeles
    2014-07-08 Leeds, UK
    2014-07-11 Milton Keynes, UK
    2014-10-09 Lincoln
    2014-10-19 St. Paul
    2014-10-20 Milwaukee
    2016-08-20 Wrigley 1
    2016-08-22 Wrigley 2
    2018-06-18 London 1
    2018-08-18 Wrigley 1
    2018-08-20 Wrigley 2
    2022-09-16 Nashville
    2023-08-31 St. Paul
    2023-09-02 St. Paul
    2023-09-05 Chicago 1
    2023-08-31 Wrigley 2
    2023-09-15 Fenway 1
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    vant0037 wrote:
    So given how the HBO series portrayed the Red Wedding, I think it's all but assured that any allusion to Jeyne Greypoole potentially carrying Robb Stark's unborn heir (as she's not at the Red Wedding) is going to be a dead end in the books.

I'd love for Martin to maintain some independence from the TV series, but I'm concerned that the show will drive the books and not the other way around. :?
    Oh! Yes you're right....I missed that when you said it before. Totally forgot she wasn't at the red wedding in the book. That could cause quite the paradox. I hope they consulted GRRM before doing that.
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
    edited June 2013
    polaris_x wrote:

oh I think its totally plausible to think that she could end up on the throne at the eyrie. littlefinger is too smarmy for his own good, but at least he knows how to play the game. robb stark couldve learnt a thing or two from him... maybe then hed still be alive.
    Post edited by catefrances on
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    vant0037 wrote:

That is what i got out of it last night too. I thoguht at first maybe her and Blackfish might escape together. Obviously when the blackfish went out to find a tree to water he somehow escaped. It is interesting though because i think if he had any inkling to waht was going on inside he would fight his way there even if he died trying.

I was kind of hoping to see a little more of a fight. I remember in the book they menioned how the Great Jon threw a table over Rob to protect him and it took 10 Frey's to bring him down and he was weaponless. I miss the Great Jon in the show he was one of my favs.

I wonder if we will get the wolf's head on rob's body image?
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • PearlJamaholicPearlJamaholic Posts: 2,018
    intodeep wrote:

me too, and i wonder how they will do the mockery of Tully funerals with Catelyn.

I find the theories in the other thread about Blackfish or Edmure being involved interesting. Not surprising if you hadnt read the book and just saw what happened how can you trust anyone. The scene really renewed my hatred for the Freys, they kinda go to the side stage later in the books.

In book 6 i want to see Walder die, maybe have Blackfish do it. Maybe Blackfish can muster support from Stannis and just bring the whole house down. Davos would be a supporter for Stannis doing something like that. Get the support of the people of the realm. Davos is very honorable and tries real hard to make sure Stannis doesnt stray from being a just king. As a self proclaimed king Stannis cant allow someone like the Freys that have no respect for the realm culture to linger, they are worse than Wildings with a banner.
  • smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    smarchee wrote:
    intodeep wrote:
    smarchee wrote:
    Oh My God

I just finished reading the part in book 3 where Robb and his men go to Lord Walter Frey's Twins for the wedding of Edmure to one of Frey's daughters and what.............the...................fuck

I am speechless and blown away, I can't believe that the story arc went there

how could Martin do this, and where does the story go from here for the Starks, this is unbelievable, I should of saw it coming with the scene's of Robb's heir but wow

man, unbelievable, there is no character safe, and I'm kinda saddened

Beyond a doubt the Red Wedding is one of the most jarring things i've read in a book. I was like WTF are you for real. I had to put the book down and vent to my roomate who had no idea what i was talking about.

Jamie Lannister sends his regards........

yeah jarring is a great way to put it, wow, I was really bothered there, lol, fucking great how books do that to you. These characters become so apart of your daily existence that you become attached to them. Nonetheless, I was seriously considering putting the book down for the rest of the day, but after a couple of hours a break I resumed, Lord Tywin what a brilliant strategic move

that's funny how you had to vent to your roomate who was oblivious to this story cause I certainly can understand being floored by that part, I had to run right here and post right away cause I had no one to speak to.

onward towards the end of Storm of Sords, I presume Jon Snow becomes even more important

haha, ok I guess I didn't put the book down for a couple of days lol
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
    intodeep wrote:

me too, and i wonder how they will do the mockery of Tully funerals with Catelyn.

I find the theories in the other thread about Blackfish or Edmure being involved interesting. Not surprising if you hadnt read the book and just saw what happened how can you trust anyone. The scene really renewed my hatred for the Freys, they kinda go to the side stage later in the books.

In book 6 i want to see Walder die, maybe have Blackfish do it. Maybe Blackfish can muster support from Stannis and just bring the whole house down. Davos would be a supporter for Stannis doing something like that. Get the support of the people of the realm. Davos is very honorable and tries real hard to make sure Stannis doesnt stray from being a just king. As a self proclaimed king Stannis cant allow someone like the Freys that have no respect for the realm culture to linger, they are worse than Wildings with a banner.
    Oh i thought the same thing and it seems many are curious about blackfish and edmure. It makes sense i mean blackfish wasn't supposed to be there at all so they needed towrite him out of it and they will see edmure as a prisoner soon enough.

I don't know where blackfish is going but i have a feeling he'll go back to the Eyrie and his story line will cross with Sansa's

I do hope old man frey gets his and not of natural causes.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    smarchee wrote:
    [
    It is addicting. You stop for a bit and like all those saying they will never watch hbo again :fp: .... they will be back just like we were.

I hated that the next Arya chapter ended with her getting hit in the back of the head. I admit i looked ahead. I was like no way this MFer just killed arya too so i jumped forward to see if there were anymore arya chapters
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    intodeep wrote:
    smarchee wrote:
    [
    It is addicting. You stop for a bit and like all those saying they will never watch hbo again :fp: .... they will be back just like we were.

I hated that the next Arya chapter ended with her getting hit in the back of the head. I admit i looked ahead. I was like no way this MFer just killed arya too so i jumped forward to see if there were anymore arya chapters

I cheat like that too! In AFFC, when i bought it, i flipped through to see if the Cersei chapters ended early hoping she would die...
    Read a review of GRRM's readings last month- he said that casting is currently underway for season 4. New characters they are casting so far, Magnar of Thenn, Mace Tyrell, and the Red Viper.
    Read a review of GRRM's readings last month- he said that casting is currently underway for season 4. New characters they are casting so far, Magnar of Thenn, Mace Tyrell, and the Red Viper.
    The red viper is a huge one i hope they get right.

i wonder where the Yara/Asha story line is going with her going to get theon. that should be interesting.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    intodeep wrote:
    The red viper is a huge one i hope they get right.

i wonder where the Yara/Asha story line is going with her going to get theon. that should be interesting.

I think once Balon dies she will go back hoping to win the iron islands... i forget how it happens in the book but i remember she tried to win Balon's place.
    Oh i did love in the show how bran told the story about the Rat King right after mentioning how important it was to observe the guest rights. No one but book readers probably get it or will remember it, but In season 5 or 6 when old Manderly serves up some frey pie and asks for the Rat King song to be played that will be fantastic! :lol:
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    intodeep wrote:
    Oh i did love in the show how bran told the story about the Rat King right after mentioning how important it was to observe the guest rights. No one but book readers probably get it or will remember it, but In season 5 or 6 when old Manderly serves up some frey pie and asks for the Rat King song to be played that will be fantastic! :lol:

co-worker who's watching the shows but hasn't read the books mentioned that to me ... he already can foresee payback ...