A Song Of Ice & Fire GRRM's Book Thread **Spoilers**

Comments

• catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    STOP TALKING STOP TALKING!!!!
    ive been sick and havent been able to read. lalalalalalala*finbgers in ears* lalalallaala
    :lol::lol:

anyways....

why do they gotta make tyrion seem so fucking ugly in the books.. hes practically a monster.... in my mind hes peter dinklage..i cant ugly him up. stop it george martin, stop it.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    FINALLY finished ADWD the other night! Gonna try to make time to go through this thread today.

Wow. So much to discuss!!!!!!!!!!
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    STOP TALKING STOP TALKING!!!!
    ive been sick and havent been able to read. lalalalalalala*finbgers in ears* lalalallaala
    :lol::lol:

anyways....

why do they gotta make tyrion seem so fucking ugly in the books.. hes practically a monster.... in my mind hes peter dinklage..i cant ugly him up. stop it george martin, stop it.
    Isn't that part of his charm though? Its why he is so universally hated by the small folk. He is the underest of under dogs.No one likes him but he keeps trying to do whats right when he could easily so fuck off you people never gave me anything why should i care.

That said Peter's potrayal of the imp is so good i always picture him like that now too.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    FINALLY finished ADWD the other night! Gonna try to make time to go through this thread today.

Your Read is done , and now your wait begins :D
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    intodeep wrote:
    Mamasan23 wrote:

Your Read is done , and now your wait begins :D

Oh boy. I've been putting off finishing it because I knew this feeling of emptiness would fill me during this wait period. :( Someone please lock GRRM in a room until he finishes book 6, k? :lol:

Okay. So. Read through this thread and I have to say that the R + L = J theory is the best I've heard. I can fully back it, especially with Ned's promise to Lyanna. I won't believe that Jon is dead. Maybe he'll warg into Ghost or Melisandre will save him, not sure how but his story is definitely not done.

I believe that Tyrion is infected just like Jon Connington. Hope not but there it is.

I hope beyond hope that No One will be reunited with Nymeria and they will be excellent warriors.

WTF is going on with Catelyn?

Where the hell was Davos sent to to find Rickon?

I'm on the fence with Bran's story. Yes it is pure fantasy, which is great, but the thought of him spending eternity underground rubs me the wrong way. I also agree that Coldhands is Benjen Stark.

I'm also irritated that Dany stayed in Meereen all this time. Interesting to see how her relationship with Drogon will evolve. Is Daario really dead? :(

Stannis. I don't believe he's dead either.

Theon. That asshole deserves everything he's getting. I have no sympathy.

Did they really have to kill Quentyn Martell? I was really hoping for something to happen there.

Margaery - I think GRRM made it so that we have no idea if she's innocent or not. And to think of Cersei stewing on Casterly Rock is interesting. You know if they don't execute her she won't go there without a fight.

Can't wait to see Jaime & Brienne again!

Who am I missing? :lol:
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    99% sure he is going to Skagos. It is an island far north. Osha would nkow about it to take rickon there. Cannibals and Unicorns are mentioned and Skagos is said to be inahbited by Cannibals and rumored to have unicorns living on it.

Have you read the Dunk and Egg tales? He has three short stories in three complilation volumes that are pretty good. They tell the story of Dunk and Egg which is about a generation before the Ice and Fire series picks up. There are tie ins with people that we hear about in Ice and Fire. It helps understand the Targaryen families more.
    I've read the first two and both were fun. The last is on my shelf i'm saving it for when i'm in big time GRRM withdrawl.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    intodeep wrote:
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    99% sure he is going to Skagos. It is an island far north. Osha would nkow about it to take rickon there. Cannibals and Unicorns are mentioned and Skagos is said to be inahbited by Cannibals and rumored to have unicorns living on it.

Have you read the Dunk and Egg tales? He has three short stories in three complilation volumes that are pretty good. They tell the story of Dunk and Egg which is about a generation before the Ice and Fire series picks up. There are tie ins with people that we hear about in Ice and Fire. It helps understand the Targaryen families more.
    I've read the first two and both were fun. The last is on my shelf i'm saving it for when i'm in big time GRRM withdrawl.

Oh!!!! Interesting! Yes I remember hearing about Skagos, but everything is so jumbled in my mind right now. I'm definitely going to do a complete re-read before Book 6 comes out. I have not heard of the Dunk & Egg stories, I will definitely check them out, thanks! :thumbup:
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    finally ive finished a dance with dragons. i refuse to believe that despite him being stabbed at least 4 times jon snow will die. perhaps he can go all wolfy and gain strength to recover. or mayhaps melisandre will heal him. oh and those boltons need to die. theyre too horrible to be allowed to live... especially at winterfell.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    Waiting very impatiently for book 6 bump.
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    Mamasan23 wrote:

you were warned!! ... :lol:

i think the thing that bugs me the most is that his fucking books don't need to be 1,200 pages long ... guy goes on and on unnecessarily a lot of times ... just fucking get on with it ... it's like how he is now ... :lol:

for sure jon snow is not dead ... will definitely need to reread the books before book 6 comes out (2015?) ...
    polaris_x wrote:
    Mamasan23 wrote:

you were warned!! ... :lol:

i think the thing that bugs me the most is that his fucking books don't need to be 1,200 pages long ... guy goes on and on unnecessarily a lot of times ... just fucking get on with it ... it's like how he is now ... :lol:

for sure jon snow is not dead ... will definitely need to reread the books before book 6 comes out (2015?) ...

:lol: I know!!!! That's why it took me so long to finish ADWD...I didn't want it to end :( But yeah, you're right. He's got a case of the good old Stephen King rambling at times.

Jon can't be dead. There's no way. Even if he comes back as Ghost...he'll be there. He has to. Definitely. Probably. Right?
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    Jon can't be dead. There's no way. Even if he comes back as Ghost...he'll be there. He has to. Definitely. Probably. Right?

like i said earlier ... near impossible to die in this series ... :lol: ... he's for sure coming back ... and now he's got no allegiance to the watch ...
    At first i thought he was just having trouble writing and the next few books will come quicker.
    Now....
    no way is the next book out before 2016

I also have my doubts he ever finishes it. :(
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    intodeep wrote:
    At first i thought he was just having trouble writing and the next few books will come quicker.
    Now....

Don't ever say that again. That kind of talk is not welcome here! :nono:
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    intodeep wrote:
    Now....

Don't ever say that again. That kind of talk is not welcome here! :nono:

i'm with the dark side on this one ... :lol:
    So he just signed some kind of two year deal with HBO to help produce another show or some crap like that?

Dude has no interst in finishing the books. That means his cash cow is done. I also assume he does not know how to finish them

:(
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • intodeep wrote:
    So he just signed some kind of two year deal with HBO to help produce another show or some crap like that?

Dude has no interst in finishing the books. That means his cash cow is done. I also assume he does not know how to finish them

I'm not too worried yet, he always seems to be juggling a lot of things at once, whether it is writing, editing, traveling, working on the show, etc. I'm also pretty sure that with the series going strong, HBO is pushing him to finish these books as well. They know the show is going to catch up to him. My guess is WOW is out early 2015.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
    intodeep wrote:

I'm not too worried yet, he always seems to be juggling a lot of things at once, whether it is writing, editing, traveling, working on the show, etc. I'm also pretty sure that with the series going strong, HBO is pushing him to finish these books as well. They know the show is going to catch up to him. My guess is WOW is out early 2015.

isn't it absurd that it takes this guy that long to write these books? ... i mean - when you write an essay for school ... it's always the beginning that's the hardest ... the ending should have been figured out years ago ... his fucking problem is that he is on some kind of mission to write the most words possible to get across what's going on ... if i wasn't so heavily vested in Arya - i wouldn't give a shit ...
  • polaris_x wrote:
    intodeep wrote:

isn't it absurd that it takes this guy that long to write these books? ... i mean - when you write an essay for school ... it's always the beginning that's the hardest ... the ending should have been figured out years ago ... his fucking problem is that he is on some kind of mission to write the most words possible to get across what's going on ... if i wasn't so heavily vested in Arya - i wouldn't give a shit ...

I agree, I wish he would just sit down and say "I'm taking all of 2013 to work on these last two books" or the show and the books, put everything else on the back burner. I think he knows the end, but he created so many different story arcs that he is having trouble bringing them all together now.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
    I agree, I wish he would just sit down and say "I'm taking all of 2013 to work on these last two books" or the show and the books, put everything else on the back burner. I think he knows the end, but he created so many different story arcs that he is having trouble bringing them all together now.

based on the way he writes these books - i suspect his "book tours" are really him touring the world for high end courtesans ... :lol:
  • Stephen King can put out about 1000 page book like every month, and then we have Martin here... I think he needs to be introduced to King!
    Stephen King can put out about 1000 page book like every month, and then we have Martin here... I think he needs to be introduced to King!
    You know what tho..I want the books finished too like all of you. That being said...for any of you that read the Dark Tower you know King was rushed for the last 3 books...and to me that really had an impact on the story. I would hate to see Ice and Fire have a Song of Susannah.
  • Mamasan23 wrote:
    Stephen King can put out about 1000 page book like every month, and then we have Martin here... I think he needs to be introduced to King!
    You know what tho..I want the books finished too like all of you. That being said...for any of you that read the Dark Tower you know King was rushed for the last 3 books...and to me that really had an impact on the story. I would hate to see Ice and Fire have a Song of Susannah.

they were also long winded, half a book about a character from a book he wrote 30 years ago, a whole chapter or 5 about the guy grocery shopping and his dogs before he runs King over when he's going for a walk. So if King can pour out long books in short time, maybe Martin should take some lessons. Both guys can probably cut back on so much story filler though....
    they were also long winded, half a book about a character from a book he wrote 30 years ago, a whole chapter or 5 about the guy grocery shopping and his dogs before he runs King over when he's going for a walk. So if King can pour out long books in short time, maybe Martin should take some lessons. Both guys can probably cut back on so much story filler though....

ya ... i would also argue the quality of the books is already suffering ... he's just adding more words than is necessary ... the last 2 books are testaments to that ...
  • shepshep Posts: 5,759
    meh... whatever to GRRM!

I've got the wheel of time to keep me occupied for this year and probably the next at the pace I read! :lol:
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
    shep wrote:
    meh... whatever to GRRM!

I've got the wheel of time to keep me occupied for this year and probably the next at the pace I read! :lol:

i'm looking for some new books to read ... how is this series? ... it's what 14 books long?
    polaris_x wrote:
    shep wrote:
    meh... whatever to GRRM!

i'm looking for some new books to read ... how is this series? ... it's what 14 books long?

I'm almost finished the first book (~800 pages)... and it's a very enjoyable read thus far. It started a little awkwardly, but now I'm into it and enjoying it.

My brother gave them to me to read (after I got ahead of him in A song of Ice and Fire - he told me to read it, but I caught up to him just as we reached the end of AFFC and he refused to pay $ for the hardcover ADWD... I splurged on the HC when amazon dropped the price to $23, then gave it to him afterwards - lol)....

He's read everything to date and is looking forward to the ending which is due to be released very soon I think. He said 1 or 2 of the middle books (I think around 9-10) get a little "meh", but when the new author picked it up it ramped back up again...
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
    shep wrote:
    I'm almost finished the first book (~800 pages)... and it's a very enjoyable read thus far. It started a little awkwardly, but now I'm into it and enjoying it.

My brother gave them to me to read (after I got ahead of him in A song of Ice and Fire - he told me to read it, but I caught up to him just as we reached the end of AFFC and he refused to pay $ for the hardcover ADWD... I splurged on the HC when amazon dropped the price to $23, then gave it to him afterwards - lol)....

He's read everything to date and is looking forward to the ending which is due to be released very soon I think. He said 1 or 2 of the middle books (I think around 9-10) get a little "meh", but when the new author picked it up it ramped back up again...

thanks!

edit: they have it at the library! ... gonna go get new spring now
    polaris_x wrote:
    shep wrote:

thanks!

edit: they have it at the library! ... gonna go get new spring now

I actually started with Eye of the World.... new spring was a prequel that was written after the point... I will probably go back and read that one next before continuing on... :lol:
    So i know the thread has spoilers in the topic title but just in case ..... don't read below if you have not read storm of swords:

So will the tv viewers see teh Red Wedding coming a mile away? I always thought it would be hard to hide. I hope they build Rob up even more this season and help you fall for him and want to like and root for him.

I hope they keep it as evil as it was in the book with his wolve's head sown on him after wards.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22