IN MY TRUCK!!!!!! HOME.

1171819202123»

Comments

• mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,764
    and its official. starting monday I'll be in my "new" truck. A 2013 full sleeper "condo" needs clened but I can work with it. hope to get into it over the weekend to clean and load in.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 25,418
    mickeyrat said:

and its official. starting monday I'll be in my "new" truck. A 2013 full sleeper "condo" needs clened but I can work with it. hope to get into it over the weekend to clean and load in.

Volvo? Freightshaker?

I just moved in to a 2013 Volvo. Love it.
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
    Shaker. They tried a few volvos once upon a time and have some spec KW's currently in the fleet. Mixed reviews on those.

Used to the Cascadia though. Ride well enough pull decent and this 2014 is quieter than a century class so I hope the 2013 is as well. Interior of sleeper looks more friendly than the centuries too.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat said:

Shaker. They tried a few volvos once upon a time and have some spec KW's currently in the fleet. Mixed reviews on those.

Used to the Cascadia though. Ride well enough pull decent and this 2014 is quieter than a century class so I hope the 2013 is as well. Interior of sleeper looks more friendly than the centuries too.

How many miles on the Shaker?
    It was still in the shop when I looked at it real quick. Didnt turn the key for the digital readout. Expect or guess at 200 to 300k? Will find out today. Getting unloaded now about 1/3 mile from pu point.

mickeyrat said:

It was still in the shop when I looked at it real quick. Didnt turn the key for the digital readout. Expect or guess at 200 to 300k? Will find out today. Getting unloaded now about 1/3 mile from pu point.

120K on my Volvo. It runs like a Lexus. I am so damned happy. Only problem with the Volvos is too many false readings, due to bad sensors. Every Volvo in the fleet does the same damned thing. The truck could be 2 days old, and the dashboard is telling you there is something wrong with the truck. Just a pain in the ass. I fill my oil, the dash tells me low oil. I fill my antifreeze, the dash tells me low antifreeze. Its just ridiculous.
    But I tell you, the Volvos are nice trucks to drive.

Beat up ones we drove at roadmaster were comfortable enough.

FL seems to have the bugs worked on on the DEF and other epa spec motors. I haven't had any issues at all with this truck except for the stitching coming apart on the drivers side seatbelt and coming seperated from the floor anchor.

mickeyrat said:

Beat up ones we drove at roadmaster were comfortable enough.

FL seems to have the bugs worked on on the DEF and other epa spec motors. I haven't had any issues at all with this truck except for the stitching coming apart on the drivers side seatbelt and coming seperated from the floor anchor.

The other big issue with the Vovos, is drivers not doing a Regen on the Trucks. Or just ignoring when it is time for a Regen. Next thing you know, the truck needs a $5000.00 exhaust job.

No auto regen while rolling?

Fuck man. When its manual regen time something is up with the FL.

mickeyrat said:

No auto regen while rolling?

We are local, we are in and out of the trucks all day. We need to do parked regens. And a lot of the blithering idiot drivers just ignore it.
    Fucking dumb. You off now?

Gonna be a new thread when I switch. Read through this one last night. Man I was a complainer those first 6 months. Some cool reminders of stuff though.

mickeyrat said:

Gonna be a new thread when I switch. Read through this one last night. Man I was a complainer those first 6 months. Some cool reminders of stuff though.

I work nights. I start in 3 hours.

I tell you mickey, in the last 2 months my whole work life has changed for the better. Instead of running around all night doing 15-20 stops, I now do 3-4 stops a day, and still get 10-12 hours in. We picked up a couple of new accounts at night, and my life is AWESOME!
    Sweet. I will be running days again. Usual hours for receiving means daytime ops . More traffic in town etc but looking forward to that.

edited March 2015
    mickeyrat said:

I cant think of a more stressful time...Than the 1st 6 months of being a truck driver.

3 years later take a look back at yourself. They run you through that Truck School like a herd of cattle, and throw you on the road. Were you truly qualified to drive through all weather conditions and obstacles? Did you truly know how to back up that truck in all situations? HELL NO!

But ya got through it. You learned on the job. And most of your truck knowledge has been SELF TAUGHT.

Post edited by SPEEDY MCCREADY on
    Hope to never forget that first day on my own. Huge self-doubt. But its coming to be second nature some of the decisions we make daily.

Always wanted to drive. I belong in this seat. God help me!!!!

mickeyrat said:

Hope to never forget that first day on my own. Huge self-doubt. But its coming to be second nature some of the decisions we make daily.

Always wanted to drive. I belong in this seat. God help me!!!!

Once you get local, or a nice 300 mile roundtrip linehaul job, you are going to be happy. If you can find a linehaul that pays hourly? That's where its at.
    After 8 years at this place, I am at top scale, I get my 4 weeks vacation, I have my kick ass Volvo, and I have a sweet run. I haven't been this happy in a long time.
    Soooo hopefully that happens sooner than 15 yrs or so for me!!!! Hehehe.

mickeyrat said:

Soooo hopefully that happens sooner than 15 yrs or so for me!!!! Hehehe.

I turn 50 this year. I have had my CDL since I was 21. I had companies close on me, I had companies move out of the city. I have worked for some dirtbags, where after a few years I was ready to commit murder. It took a long time to find a home. But I found a home. I will work here for 20 years, take my 401K(Which I have been POUNDING money in to). And walk away at 62 or 67.

I am 47 this year. Will be 3 1/2 years in driving. I fucked away the first half of my working life.

hopeful I've made the right decision at this point. And that going forward the 1 company I set my sights on will have me. Need to get it done right. National company. Nonunion but union scale and bennies. I'm down.

mickeyrat said:

I am 47 this year. Will be 3 1/2 years in driving. I fucked away the first half of my working life.

hopeful I've made the right decision at this point. And that going forward the 1 company I set my sights on will have me. Need to get it done right. National company. Nonunion but union scale and bennies. I'm down.

Maybe look at some of the smaller non-union outfits? A place that has been in business a long time, but isn't Schneider, JB, or Swift. Ya know what I mean? I am making more hourly than the union drivers here in Chicago. We have 70 drivers here, and after 8 years I think I am #10 or so in seniority. If you take away the straight truck drivers, I think I am #4.

Don't be afraid to look at some of the respectable smaller companies. The mom and pop companies have always seemed to treat their drivers better. They are more like family. You are not just driver #145 on a computer screen.
    She wants to move west eventually. My plan seems to help that. OD has terminals all over.

mickeyrat said:

She wants to move west eventually. My plan seems to help that. OD has terminals all over.

Where West? You want to spend the next 20 years driving through those damn mountains? Hahahaha

Tell her you will move to Colorado, then get a nice easy line haul from Denver to Chicago. One trip a week get you 2000 miles. DONE!

I need to look up this OD you are always talking about. I need to do some research. You seem to be very impressed with them.
    Arizona maybe San Diego.

mickeyrat said:

Arizona maybe San Diego.

Damn.
    I guess you DO want to go play in those mountains!
    Whats the local work like out in Arizona and San Diego? Any idea?

Dude. Their drivers are always courteous. Equipt isnt ratty even the oldest stuff. Worst I have seen is faded paint. Yard is always well organized. Publicly traded company. With high driver retention.

mickeyrat said:

Dude. Their drivers are always courteous. Equipt isnt ratty even the oldest stuff. Worst I have seen is faded paint. Yard is always well organized. Publicly traded company. With high driver retention.

I am reading reviews as we speak. Driver retention is always something you have to look at. And nice equipment says a lot .

mickeyrat said:

Arizona maybe San Diego.

Damn.
    I guess you DO want to go play in those mountains!
    Whats the local work like out in Arizona and San Diego? Any idea?

nope. Havent even looked with any degree of seriousness. For Cali it would be SD or up north. FUCK L.A. She just doesnt want to deal with winter anymore. I could do the desert.

Truck is done. Need to get it cleaned and inspected to get a few things changed. Seen a couple incidents. Has 224K on the clock. I kind of like how the truck is laid out in the sleeper compared to other Freightliners I have been in. Have a short run to finish out my time at Goodyear, so I will have the afternoon to clean and move day to day items over. like my Sat radio and CB.
    I give the drive tires 6 months before they need changed. Gonna make for a harder ride. Oh well. it is what it is.