IN MY TRUCK!!!!!! HOME.

Comments

• mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,764
    mickeyrat wrote:
    not to defend, but this 10% limit os for the second quarter. I expect it to raise a bit for the third.

I also dont sleep in the truck that often , so feasibly I could still meet the standard and get the bonus.

As a driver with just 1 year and a few months under me, I will make about 45K this year. 12k of which is in extra pay on this account

Been looking , as always, for soemthing else but I want to at least make the same if not more.
    Plus I'm still getting the tuition reimbursement($150 a month taxfree) until Dec of this year.So I do have some incentive to stay.
    Well, if you are not spending your nights sweating like a pig, then yeah stick it out.
    So that new account is paying you an extra $12K? NICE! VERY NICE!

Fucking Schneider and JB Hunt. Moving freight for nickels, and paying their drivers pennies. That goes for Swift too.
    without the accessoral pay I would average about 33K @.32cpm(lowend of the account scale) , 2k miles a week. Most typical is to earn an extra 300-350 a week on the easy ass unloading. working between 45 and 60 hours a week. home 95% of the during the week and have on average 60 hours off during the weekend
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 25,418
    mickeyrat wrote:
    without the accessoral pay I would average about 33K @.32cpm(lowend of the account scale) , 2k miles a week. Most typical is to earn an extra 300-350 a week on the easy ass unloading. working between 45 and 60 hours a week. home 95% of the during the week and have on average 60 hours off during the weekend
    Whats the high-end mileage on this account? What does the mileage pay go up to from .32?

That sounds like a nice account you got yourself into. There are many drivers who would be thrilled to have type of account.
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
    mickeyrat wrote:
    Whats the high-end mileage on this account? What does the mileage pay go up to from .32?

That sounds like a nice account you got yourself into. There are many drivers who would be thrilled to have type of account.
    not much more on the mileage. they say 1500-2000 a week. sometimes a little more depending but not much more. .I usually hit right around 1800-2000. Think the pay caps at .37? While not much more its harder to make raise as they switched to a performance based system.
    Its for JCP. Watching whats going on very closely. IF(or when) it tanks , I hope its at a strong freight period. Better chance of getting on with an LTL then.

Going to ride it as long as I can stand it.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat wrote:
    mickeyrat wrote:

not much more on the mileage. they say 1500-2000 a week. sometimes a little more depending but not much more. .I usually hit right around 1800-2000. Think the pay caps at .37? While not much more its harder to make raise as they switched to a performance based system.
    Its for JCP. Watching whats going on very closely. IF(or when) it tanks , I hope its at a strong freight period. Better chance of getting on with an LTL then.

Going to ride it as long as I can stand it.
    I had it nice for the last 3 months, they put me on a dedicated account, drop and hook, make 3-5 trips a night, drive about 220-280 miles a night, 10-12 hours a day.
    It was like being on vacation.
    But that came to an end, and now its back to the basic LTL.

We are doing great though. Company is VERY BUSY, they gave out some nice raises, they addressed our overtime pay(which we gave up 3 years ago). The union drivers around here are bitching because most of their overtime has been cut, they are getting 40-42 hours a week, and THATS IT!

Shit, a 40 hour work week for me is considered half a week. :lol::lol::lol:
    who do you drive for?

mickeyrat wrote:
    who do you drive for?
    Im not tellin.

:lol::lol:
    Ill send you a pm.

Its a local, non union company located in the Chicago area. Easily the best company I have worked for. In the last 3-5 years we have picked up 10-12 'partner carriers." In other words we are picking up freight for different trucking companies located in the midwest, and we warehouse their freight. Then those companies will send 1-2 drivers a night, and pick up full trailers, which they take back to the Midwest states. We started doing this about 5 years ago, when business was slow. Now it is a GOLDMINE for us. Plus the partner carriers LOVE IT, since they dont have to send their own drivers into the city of Chicago. Plus they do the same, they pick up freight in Indiana, Iowa, Ohio, Michigan, drop off full trailers, and we then deliver the freight to the Chicago area. These 'partner carriers", along with our "regular accounts", has increased our business 5x, in the last 3-5 years. Its incredible.
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    Beware Flying Deer Crossing

seen some really horrific afterwards stuff which I wont get into. Today though was a real Wtf?!?!?! moment. Travelling wb on I 94. 2 lanes each direction, about a mile or so from my exit for final stop on this route. Tractor/trailer headed opposite direction. All the sudden I see what turns out to be a deer on an upwards arc coming from the eb lanes. By the time it was in front of my truck it was at least 14 feet in the air. Kinda like it was spinning on its side. Landed at the edge of the berm where it meets the grass. Musta traveled airborne for at least 40 feet. Hadn't moved an inch when I came back through, headed home.

Awesome day today driving. I was blessed to see a Great Blue Heron(always on the lookout), A Swan, 5 Turkey Vultures in a farm field like they were gathered around the water cooler discussing last nights game or the news from the middle east.

The most awesome part though, was the TWO BALD EAGLES in another farmers field about 50 yards apart from each other. This makes 4 areas in the state that I have seen them. Just an awesome sight to behold.

• chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    yes sir you are living a bit of a journey
    it is really a great time & the most terrible thing all rolled in one and a drug you crave
    congratulations
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    2nd quarter ends Sunday the 30th but for me it ended today.

I have maxed out on the companies scoring to achieve bonus this quarter. 1st time for me. quite a few factors go into it. Need to speak with the boss to get the numbers to crunch so I can get an idea what I will receive.

BEST part is its scheduled to come out to the drivers on the 26th of July. 1 day before my BDAY!!!!

fucked up week for tires on trailers.

Monday picked up one with a flat. Thursday early morning picked up one the the feds consider flat but I rolled to a truck stop to air it up( held air all day 500 miles) and last night picked up another one with a flat. a fucking 3/8 inch bolt in the center of the tread. How the fuck do you miss that on post trip inspection!!!!?!??!?!?!?!

edited January 2014
    In a new 2014 Daycab with 1881 miles on the clock. Loving it!!!
    Post edited by mickeyrat on

mickeyrat said:

In a new 2014 Daycab with 1881 miles on the clock. Loving it!!!

Drive well too. VERY comfortable seat. Felt soem slight adjusting movement in my spine. Real subtle. felt good.

• Hey mickeyrat?
    You ever post in the trucking forum anymore?
    Just curious
    TTR? all the time.

by the end of tomorrows run, I will have put 80 thousand miles on the truck myself.

and so my time with schneider may be coming to an end. been a solid 3 years. Was informed to that goodyear has put the contract out for bid and as such we were undercut. 3 locations gone for us.

Have a weekend in Canada on the 20th and after I will start applying. First place is Old Dominion. fingers crossed.

• badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    Good luck Mickey. Hope u get that job u want. And fuck u speedy haha
  • 3 years with Schneider should pretty much be enough experience for you to get a job anywhere. Hopefully you find a nice local company that gets you home every night.
    edited February 2015
    and halt. So in an effort to retain all of us they are throwing money at us. Retention bonus of 5K AND the sign on bonus (normally reserved for new hires) for which ever account we choose to go to. Downside is that money is paid out over a years time.

I am already into a retention bonus of 4K with 3200 still to be paid out. So from the date of transfer I am looking at around 12.5 K being paid out PLUS the balance of the current one.

I believe I have to stay for the year. Cant walk from that money.

Wheres the WTF smilie. dammit.
    Post edited by mickeyrat on

well FUCK. The sounds of Willy Nelson singing "On The Road Again" keep ringing in my ears. Apparently I have an attitude and JCP account bosses are willing to let me pursue other opportunities which is a bullshit way of saying WE DONT WANT YOU.

So I am taking a regional position , home weekly.

mickeyrat said:

well FUCK. The sounds of Willy Nelson singing "On The Road Again" keep ringing in my ears. Apparently I have an attitude and JCP account bosses are willing to let me pursue other opportunities which is a bullshit way of saying WE DONT WANT YOU.

So I am taking a regional position , home weekly.

How long were you on that JCP account? If ya don't mind, what was their problem with you?

Whats the deal with the new regional account? Where ya going? What ya hauling?
    year and a half previously. was told ( I asked) I could return if I wanted "anytime" . when extra runs were available and we were slow I was requested by them to run. As recently as two or three days before this decision. I made known AGAIN my displeasure at being stolen from on paid miles. from that I had an attitude they were no longer willing to put up with. I basically said they were thieves and that was that.

new gig will be from a home office base(still parking near my home) of Elyria Oh( west of Cleveland) to Wi (sometimes into Minn) down to a few customers in Texas over to Ga and the Carolinas up into Mass.

Plastics. raw plastics. Usually heavy in the 40's. Daytime running expected. slight decrease in pay from what I have been enjoying BUT paid out over a year is a sign on bonus of 7500(usually reserved for new to the company hires) and a retention bonus of 5k. 2500 at 45 90 and 180 days with the final 5k payment at a year.(only if I stay with the dedicated division)

were it not for a smallish loan I took against my 401K I'd move on now or try to anyway. tax and 10% penalty say bend over driver and take it for a while longer.

Fiance is on board given it is temporary.

mickeyrat said:

year and a half previously. was told ( I asked) I could return if I wanted "anytime" . when extra runs were available and we were slow I was requested by them to run. As recently as two or three days before this decision. I made known AGAIN my displeasure at being stolen from on paid miles. from that I had an attitude they were no longer willing to put up with. I basically said they were thieves and that was that.

new gig will be from a home office base(still parking near my home) of Elyria Oh( west of Cleveland) to Wi (sometimes into Minn) down to a few customers in Texas over to Ga and the Carolinas up into Mass.

Plastics. raw plastics. Usually heavy in the 40's. Daytime running expected. slight decrease in pay from what I have been enjoying BUT paid out over a year is a sign on bonus of 7500(usually reserved for new to the company hires) and a retention bonus of 5k. 2500 at 45 90 and 180 days with the final 5k payment at a year.(only if I stay with the dedicated division)

were it not for a smallish loan I took against my 401K I'd move on now or try to anyway. tax and 10% penalty say bend over driver and take it for a while longer.

Fiance is on board given it is temporary.

Damn. Please explain the stolen from, on paid miles? Were they just shorting your check? Or were they not paying you for all miles driven?

The trucking industry.
    95% of them are thieves.
    theres paid miles and theres routed miles vs hub miles.
    they have a trip planning exercise that says add the paid miles plus 10% of the paid miles to base your plan from.
    JCP is multistop runs, shorted miles at each stage roughly 10 miles per stop average 40 miles a day shorted(somedays longer). 200 week at 10K+miles a year UNPAID. at the old rate when I left them it was $3300. Going in now at new rate would have been shorted by $3600 on the year.

So even IF I was hired back my weekly net would have dropped a bit PLUS the stolen miles. Now ALL drivers sign on the dotted line saying we know they pay HHG(household movers guide miles) miles so it wasnt like I didnt know firt getting hired, but the multistop shit is outrageous.

mickeyrat said:

theres paid miles and theres routed miles vs hub miles.
    they have a trip planning exercise that says add the paid miles plus 10% of the paid miles to base your plan from.
    JCP is multistop runs, shorted miles at each stage roughly 10 miles per stop average 40 miles a day shorted(somedays longer). 200 week at 10K+miles a year UNPAID. at the old rate when I left them it was $3300. Going in now at new rate would have been shorted by $3600 on the year.

So even IF I was hired back my weekly net would have dropped a bit PLUS the stolen miles. Now ALL drivers sign on the dotted line saying we know they pay HHG(household movers guide miles) miles so it wasnt like I didnt know firt getting hired, but the multistop shit is outrageous.

Its a damn shame you haven't been able to find some decent local work. I feel bad for you. With the 3 years you have, driving cross country, through all the different weather, you should be able to find some local P&D. But if ya ever move to Chicago, I can get you in at are place. Hell, I can even get you a real nice Line Haul job, about 300 or so miles a night, and you are paid hourly not mileage.
    well I AM still looking at getting on at old dominion. top rate outfit. holds me back RIGHT NOW from trying is the 401K loan I just took out in Jan. dont have the ready cash to pay it back in 30-60 days without penalty should I leave SNI. taxed on outstanding balance plus 10% penalty.

Fuck the Gov in this instance. figure I wait til payment for 6 months kicks in while saving from 45 and 90 day ones too in order to pay it back no issue. Might even be possible after the 45 and 90 day payments.

ALSO currently under a different retention bonus plan. 1k payment at the end of may with the final payment on that one at 1300 come Nov.. Suck it up and deal while getting the cash or suck it up and deal with IRS and shoot for the goal. Sticking continues to show job stability after fucking off my life for so long prior to getting sober. so for now thats the plan.

mickeyrat said:

well I AM still looking at getting on at old dominion. top rate outfit. holds me back RIGHT NOW from trying is the 401K loan I just took out in Jan. dont have the ready cash to pay it back in 30-60 days without penalty should I leave SNI. taxed on outstanding balance plus 10% penalty.

Fuck the Gov in this instance. figure I wait til payment for 6 months kicks in while saving from 45 and 90 day ones too in order to pay it back no issue. Might even be possible after the 45 and 90 day payments.

ALSO currently under a different retention bonus plan. 1k payment at the end of may with the final payment on that one at 1300 come Nov.. Suck it up and deal while getting the cash or suck it up and deal with IRS and shoot for the goal. Sticking continues to show job stability after fucking off my life for so long prior to getting sober. so for now thats the plan.

Oh, I completely understand. But as you know, job stability in our industry, truly doesn't mean crap. As long as you can show 1-3 years driving history, with no DUI's, basically any company will hire you, here in Chicago. Whats the turnover rate for drivers? 99%? Its just the industry.
    But I completely understand your not wanting to be penalized and lose that 10%. I take a 401K loan every January, I pay off the credit cards and pay for my vacation. I have done it the last 3 years. But I then turn around and pay it all off in one year. It works for me, its not a "Major Amount", but it helps to start me free and clear at the beginning of the year.

Hell, here in the city if you can keep a job at the same company for 5 years, they consider you an "old timer." And that's truly a shame, but the trucking industry surely isn't for everyone.
    no it isnt for everyone . god help me I love it. :)
    Most days.
    the days I dont are when driving is work. Weather days. I test my limitations but stay safe doing so. Couple weeks ago coming back empty from lexington ky to columbus. right at 195 miles. normally 3 3 1/2 hours max. 5 1/2 hrs that day 4 of which were at 35-40 mph.

As for my situation , I see it as a bit of Karma saying hello. One of these days I'll learn who to , when and how to say when shooting my mouth off,

Meantime, my daycab is on the cusp of hitting 100k on the clock. 98k of that driven by me. little bit to be proud of.

on the plus side too is 5 days a week I'll get to sleep in a "bed" by myself. No dogs laying up on me and Fiance too. Covers all to myself. it will be glorious!!!!