P90x

Comments

• The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,492
    haha....that video is funny. my order wont be coming till probably tuesday..

what time of day do you guys normally do your workout?

a couple days i will have to do it real early in the morning. never worked out that early before (not a morning person). wondering if/what i should eat prior to. i was thinking just a banana or something... :?
    www.myspace.com
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013

a couple days I will have to do it real early in the morning. never worked out that early before (not a morning person). wondering if/what i should eat prior to. i was thinking just a banana or something... :?

I usually work out first thing in the morning. just because it gets the adrenaline going and it keeps me awake for a while (like a shot of espresso), especially if the day is Plyo, Kenpo or something else that is a little more 'active', yoga I can hold off 'till later in the day. Personally, if I wait 'till later I get lazy and keep putting it off and then I don't get around to it. :oops:

A little protein before you workout is good, but if I eat anything before I workout, I feel like I'm going to puke even if I wait an hour. See what works for you.

Best thing after a workout is a protein drink, it can be as simple as protein powder mixed with water, I mix mine with OJ or organic soymilk).
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    RKCNDY wrote:

a couple days I will have to do it real early in the morning. never worked out that early before (not a morning person). wondering if/what i should eat prior to. i was thinking just a banana or something... :?

I usually work out first thing in the morning. just because it gets the adrenaline going and it keeps me awake for a while (like a shot of espresso), especially if the day is Plyo, Kenpo or something else that is a little more 'active', yoga I can hold off 'till later in the day. Personally, if I wait 'till later I get lazy and keep putting it off and then I don't get around to it. :oops:

A little protein before you workout is good, but if I eat anything before I workout, I feel like I'm going to puke even if I wait an hour. See what works for you.

Best thing after a workout is a protein drink, it can be as simple as protein powder mixed with water, I mix mine with OJ or organic soymilk).

yeah i normaly have a whey protein shake after a workout. plan on doing that with this too....i was just concerned about pre workout and how much earlier i woudl have to get up if i do eat something... :x :lol:

good point about the extra energy after an early morning workout...
    www.myspace.com
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    I'm an afternoon workout person.
    My body doesn't function properly in the morning. :lol:
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,668
    I just plan ahead and get them in when I can get them in. I prefer when I get home from work... But if I have anything going, I workout in the AM. I do feel great afterward, but the 5AM wakeup is rough.

I find Yoga tough in the early AM. My body is too rigid and stiff.

Plyo is the best in the AM.

I have 10 days left.
  • comebackgirlcomebackgirl Posts: 9,885
    I work out first thing in the morning...4:30am on weekdays. That way I make sure I get it in and nothing else gets in the way. I used to have to force myself to get up and do it, but I've been doing it for years now and I know I will have so much more energy if I get up and workout than if I sleep an extra hour. I don't usually eat anything beforehand (my dinner probably hasn't even fully digested at that time!) aside from some hot water with lemon. I do better on an empty stomach.
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
  • Green CircleGreen Circle Posts: 5,192
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    Is there anywhere I can find this for cheaper than $150? Insanity had a similar price but I split it with a girlfriend, so the price was more workable, thanks!

maybe someone is selling the dvds on ebay?

I had someone copy P90X for me. He did say it was encrypted so he had to Decryption to copy it but I do have all 12 dvds.

I did also buy insanity from someone on Craigslist so check that out too. ;)
    "...And I fight back in my mind. Never lets me be right.
    I got memories. I got shit so much it don't show."
    I work out first thing in the morning...4:30am on weekdays. That way I make sure I get it in and nothing else gets in the way. I used to have to force myself to get up and do it, but I've been doing it for years now and I know I will have so much more energy if I get up and workout than if I sleep an extra hour. I don't usually eat anything beforehand (my dinner probably hasn't even fully digested at that time!) aside from some hot water with lemon. I do better on an empty stomach.

good lord. what time do you go to bed??
    www.myspace.com
  • comebackgirlcomebackgirl Posts: 9,885

good lord. what time do you go to bed??
    depends...I aim for 10:30 because I made a new year's resolution to get at least 6 hours sleep, but a few nights a week I have to work till 10 so that doesn't always work out :?
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
  • StoveStove Posts: 320
    This is a really cool program. I got it from a friend awhile back. I finished a year ago and still do the workouts and different order. Mostly cardio stuff, kenpo, plyo (i'm a drummer , I like doing fast things) and after your done with the program, it makes you aware of just how important it is to get your body active. I never did the nutrition stuff, probably would've have seen different results if I had.
    Really wanna get the new one but not have to cough up the bones for it. Love making playlist for the different workout as well. Today is a kenpo day!
  • juan lesterjuan lester Posts: 321
    so glad i found folks in the PJ universe driftin down the tony horton torture road.

i blew out my knee in october, so with no fun things in the schedule, skiing, hockey, b-ball all on the shelf, i practiced the shit out of my uke, learned a bit of guitar, drank a million beers, and got fat. being overweight and having a gimpy knee wasn't really working out, so i decided to drop some weight. testimonials of folks who had done p90x were what sold me. figured i could do anything for 3 months, and if it didn't work or wasn't for me then, oh well.

i'm in the first week of phase 2 of the lean program, with similar results to others. went from 8 pushups to 25. zero pullups to 1. can hold crane for almost 30 secs. dropped over a belt loop, clothes fitting better, i can do almost all the exercises along with tony, as opposed to the first week - exhausted, gasping for breath, staring at these uber-fit freaks saying, "you gotta be kidding me"

kudos to anyone who has done or is doing this program. it's kicking my ass, but feels really good at the end of the day.

tony skis out here quite a bit and offers free yoga classes when he's in town. he's a really good dude.
    uke can save the world
  • Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,286
    Despite the apartment factor I bought the program from QVC online today. It comes with a band and they broke the payments into equal ones, so it's a little less than 40 a month.
    Going to do the workouts either in the basement of my apartment building (an 8 apartment unit, and I hardly ever see anyone downstairs when I do my laundry or go to my storage unit), or bring my laptop and do them outside. I have a really cool spot at the beach thats a nice grassy area where it's quiet and flat. I was using my place as an excuse and the fact is I have gotten lazy and fat. I don't like it.

So not expecting it to arrive until 4/5. Plenty of time to amp myself up, take my pic and do my measurements.
    Hell Week starts Good Friday, how fitting!
    Scared but excited.
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
    Sprunkn7 wrote:
    Despite the apartment factor I bought the program from QVC online today. It comes with a band and they broke the payments into equal ones, so it's a little less than 40 a month.
    Going to do the workouts either in the basement of my apartment building (an 8 apartment unit, and I hardly ever see anyone downstairs when I do my laundry or go to my storage unit), or bring my laptop and do them outside. I have a really cool spot at the beach thats a nice grassy area where it's quiet and flat. I was using my place as an excuse and the fact is I have gotten lazy and fat. I don't like it.

So not expecting it to arrive until 4/5. Plenty of time to amp myself up, take my pic and do my measurements.
    Hell Week starts Good Friday, how fitting!
    Scared but excited.
    Good luck to you! I was beyond skeptical at first, but this program is legit!!!
    It really took about two months to notice...or be noticed the changes. :D
    I'm down two belt loops, my shoulders, arms and abs look great now! It's also really helped my running. I usually run 3-5 miles a day...that's up to 5 minimum and my body feels sooooo much better now. :D
    yea, I'm hoping I don't have to buy the supplements. Can I drink whey shakes with peanut butter or bananas instead for recovery?
    Sprunkn7 wrote:
    yea, I'm hoping I don't have to buy the supplements. Can I drink whey shakes with peanut butter or bananas instead for recovery?

Yes!
    I was drinking the recovery drink. Lots of carbs. I moved to a protein-based Nitro Tech Hardcore drink with water for post workout. I still use a half serving of the recovery drink, but only after a grueling run or sometimes after plyometrics in the early AM. People say a glass of chocolate milk would have a similar benefit as the recovery drink.

Tried shakeology too. Wasnt overly impressed. Again, I think I am going to bring it out during my distance running days. For the price, it isnt worth it.

When you are cutting fat on a program like this, you need to concentrate on calories, getting enough protein, and keeping cabs very low.

I have that Nitro Tech Protein powder, whey powder, and casein powder. In addition, I take a 1-a-day, b complex, omega 3 fish oil, and green tea extract.

In short, the beachbody supplements are not necessary, overpriced, and there is much better stuff on the market for cheaper.

With that said, you done Need supplements, but probably will need protein supplements to hit the appropriate protein consumption. Casein Protein is great as it is very slow working and filling.
    ok, thanks. I was just reading that Whey is not filling. Thought the peanut butter would help?

oohh, I need to do some nutrition homework. I can't take an Omega 3 because I'm allergic to shellfish and fish. Maybe can take flax seed oil, I forget what I can substitute. Have to look that up, I'm pretty sure I can get what I need from nuts and eggs. One a day and b is a given.

Does Casien powder taste the same as whey? crap :?
    Casein is a lot thicker and 'stronger' tasting. I like chocolate peanut butter flavor... and just got creamy blueberry which is good. Creamy Banana and Creamy Vanilla were a little rough.

It doesnt go well in water. I use unsweetened Almond Milk. I also use casein when I make shakes.
    Broke a band today. Glad it wasn't above my head at the time! :lol:

I was doubled up so when it snapped the other one lessened the pop. Haha!
    So, I missed three days (or delayed them) this week. I was in the mountains in Colorado and went for grueling 5 mile runs, so I'm going to put that in the place of Plyo and maybe yoga....
    whats up with this coach business? Are they there to make money by helping you? I'm just looking at the site and staying away from signing up for anything (like winning $500 haha) Do they want you to pick a coach if you just want to go on the message boards? :roll:
    Sprunkn7 wrote:
    whats up with this coach business? Are they there to make money by helping you? I'm just looking at the site and staying away from signing up for anything (like winning $500 haha) Do they want you to pick a coach if you just want to go on the message boards? :roll:

Yeah, I kept getting contacted by coaches and they wanted me to sign up for their 'challenge' and all of them said "sign up quick, I only have a few spots left!" So I looked into one, I had to buy the shakeology, so said I couldn't afford the stuff, they said "no prob, you don't have to buy it!" :? I also think the coaches like 'collecting' buddies, only one person actually messaged me back to answer questions. :|

So I asked about it on a different fitness board, and was told, they have some sort of pyramid scheme, you get 3 people to buy shakeology, and you (as their leader) get it for free, but you have to sign up as a coach to get the credit for the sales of the stuff. I recall reading that becoming a coach basically means paying some sort of monthly membership fee.

I do fine with my whey protein isolate. Finally gonna get back on track this week, and I bought a bike so I can get more cardio in.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    I'm missin' (or delaying) yet another day. Had to be up early for a flight to Vegas...for work.
    Slept like ass and won't be getting back until 9 or so. The last thing I want to do after a 12 hour day is back and biceps...or whatever the hell is listed for today! :lol:
    Maybe I'll double up tomorrow... :?
    Just did a Chest and Back.
    I'm doing about 3x as many reps as I did when I started...which is cool! That said, it hurt pretty bad today! hahahaha! I got Plyo a little later today. Doubling up! :o I'm gonna sleep good tonight! :D
    the coaching thing there is odd. I dont fully understand it, but have a good idea.

Its like $40 to start and $15 a month. You get 25% off everything there. You have to get people to choose you as their coach. Then when they buy stuff, you get some sort of commission paid monthly. I also think you need to buy that Shakeology stuff to remain active, which you can use to send your underlings samples.

This is why you get flooded there. There are a ton of coaches jockeying for the new fish to sign with them.

The ultimate key is to get your underlings to sign up as coaches as well and stay 'active' by buying shakeology (other products may work too). I think once you get 2, you get promoted, and you automatically get fed new people to the site. You also get kickbacks from your network of underling coaches.

A lot of people do very well. The problem is, as you can see, there are way too many coaches. Most of them have no idea what they are talking about, and a lot of them, if they are 'fit', have only been fit for a few months.

Previously, I thought of giving it a try. I have a degree in Exercise Physiology and have a lot more knowledge than most of them. That would be an advantage. I also believe in their workout programs 100%. And not to sound hokey, but I would like to assist people to get through. The problem is, in order to succeed, you need to push the coaching aspect... and also push the products, which I have tried and Im not sold on. They are very overpriced, and there is much better stuff out there.
    MayDay10 wrote:
    Most of them have no idea what they are talking about, and a lot of them, if they are 'fit', have only been fit for a few months.
    :lol:
    My most recent 'buddy' request is from a 'coach' who looks like Milton from Office Space and sports a beer belly that is bigger than my muffin top...just read his blog...he's on week 3. :?

Did Chest, Shoulders, Triceps and Ab ripper yesterday. Just finished Plyo this morning. My arms hurt from yesterday's push-ups. Didn't think I'd be so sore, I for one, did NOT miss doing all those push-ups.

- Christopher McCandless
    would love to try the Shakeology without signing up with a coach or plopping $110 on something I may throw away. Seems crazy to me.
    Still awaiting my estimated delivery date. Was hoping it would be here by Thursday so I can get a move on. UPS tracking hasn't been updated since Saturday..... :evil:

Getting plumper by the day, so my before pic is getting some extra padding!
    Sprunkn7 wrote:
    would love to try the Shakeology without signing up with a coach or plopping $110 on something I may throw away. Seems crazy to me.
    Still awaiting my estimated delivery date. Was hoping it would be here by Thursday so I can get a move on. UPS tracking hasn't been updated since Saturday..... :evil:

I did a search and found this for ya:

http://www.choose2befit.com/slider/shak ... pack-trail

I also saw on the BB website that if you sign up, you can ask the coach that is assigned to you if they have samples they could send you. If they don't (my 'coach' has never said a peep to me), just post a message on the forum asking for a coach that will send you one, they will want to be your coach, but it's easy to switch coaches...I think I'm gonna dump mine.

- Christopher McCandless
    Thanks, so helpful here! I'll go for it, see what happens.
    you can also find smaller packs on ebay
    RKCNDY wrote:
    Sprunkn7 wrote:

I did a search and found this for ya:

http://www.choose2befit.com/slider/shak ... pack-trail

I also saw on the BB website that if you sign up, you can ask the coach that is assigned to you if they have samples they could send you. If they don't (my 'coach' has never said a peep to me), just post a message on the forum asking for a coach that will send you one, they will want to be your coach, but it's easy to switch coaches...I think I'm gonna dump mine.

My coach is pretty decent. I switched to him from my original, who only sent me mass emails pushing products.
    My dude isnt the most technically sound guy, doesnt know in depth nutritional and supplement info, but knows the programs well. He has a helpful site with hybrid programs, shake recipes, etc... He also has a good group of people and holds optional contests/pools for finishers, etc. His name is Coach Greg I think