P90x

RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
edited December 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
ok...I'm gonna do it...I wanna look great by summer.

Those of you who are wondering about the program can follow me on my adventure. :D

I have worked out before...even with a personal trainer. I hated the beginning, but I know it does get easier.

Started working out at the beginning of the year, so I have a start. Today is my rest day, I'll start tomorrow.

Thoughts for today:
*I used to hate the running portion on my workouts, I don't mind that so much now.
*What I really hate right now are the jump lunges...I'm so freaking clumsy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zLTDUFjbXA)
*I really love the shoulder press...probably because I think that helps with getting rid of certain 'jiggly bits'.
The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mikalinamikalina Posts: 7,206
    I hear alot of good things about this exercise program.... :thumbup:
    ********************************************************************************************* image
  • photogirllizphotogirlliz Posts: 2,491
    Just don't get rid of the wrong jiggly bits :)
    "I am myself...like you, somehow."
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    Just don't get rid of the wrong jiggly bits :)

I'm talking about the jiggly bits that seem to appear in my armpits... :? :lol:
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    I did it once but would never do it again.
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    Good luck!!! I was going to do this but I didn't want to buy the pull-up bar so I've been doing Insanity instead - which also has the jumping lunge exercise so I feel your pain!!!
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    i've got a pdx5

:?
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Pamela0222Pamela0222 Posts: 1,544
    Yay!! Good Thread!! Keep me posted on the pros/cons, I'd really like to start this program if it's worth it!!
    The thing I like most about time is that it's not real. It's all in the head. Sure, it's a useful trick to use if you want to meet someone at a specific place in the universe and have tea or coffee- but that's all it is- a trick. There is no such thing as the past. It exists only in the memory. There is no such thing as the future. It exists only in our imagination. If our watches were truly accurate, the only thing they would ever say is "Now". That's what time it is. It's "Now". - Damien Echols
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    Good luck!!! I was going to do this but I didn't want to buy the pull-up bar so I've been doing Insanity instead - which also has the jumping lunge exercise so I feel your pain!!!

there is a pull up bar on a certain site...$25 shipped. and the main bar is one piece...the P90x one comes in 3 pieces.

I have free weights, and bands.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Pamela0222Pamela0222 Posts: 1,544
    Those jump lunges DO NOT look friendly AT ALL!!!!
    The thing I like most about time is that it's not real. It's all in the head. Sure, it's a useful trick to use if you want to meet someone at a specific place in the universe and have tea or coffee- but that's all it is- a trick. There is no such thing as the past. It exists only in the memory. There is no such thing as the future. It exists only in our imagination. If our watches were truly accurate, the only thing they would ever say is "Now". That's what time it is. It's "Now". - Damien Echols
  • quimby20quimby20 Posts: 823
    Start with P90, it make for a nice start.
  • BM42909BM42909 Posts: 143
    I started the P90Sex workout.

You masturbate with one hand/arm for 90 seconds. Then you switch to the opposite hand/arm. Repeat until failure.
  • SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736
    Best diet/exercise program ever is.......... burn more calories than you take in. Period. Whatever way you go about it.

dont look at it like a choir, rather than a lifestyle. When you put parameters on something as in I'm starting to work out now to get to a certain goal by (insert date) its a setup for failure

Results are all based on your attitude
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
  • zarocatzarocat Posts: 1,901
    I've used P90X and it is fantastic if you (like anything) follow other essentials parts of any program i.e. eat right, recovery drink. I recommend doing it on an empty stomach when you wake up.

But I warn you, the guy in the video is a creep! It's just weird the shit he says. You'll want him to shut the F%%K up eventually :lol:
    1996: Toronto
    1998: Barrie
    2000: Montreal, Toronto, Auburn Hills
    2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal
    2004: Boston X2, Grand Rapids
    2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto
    2006: Toronto X2
    2009: Toronto
    2011: PJ20, Montreal, Toronto X2, Hamilton
    2012: Manchester X2, Amsterdam X2, Prague, Berlin X2, Philadelphia, Missoula
    2013: Pittsburg, Buffalo
    2014: Milan, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin, Stockholm, Oslo, Detroit
    2016: Ottawa, Toronto X2
    2018: Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona
    2022: Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto
    2023: Chicago X2
    2024: New York X2
    zarocat wrote:
    I've used P90X and it is fantastic if you (like anything) follow other essentials parts of any program i.e. eat right, recovery drink. I recommend doing it on an empty stomach when you wake up.

But I warn you, the guy in the video is a creep! It's just weird the shit he says. You'll want him to shut the F%%K up eventually :lol:

did you do the recovery drink? When I had a trainer he kept selling me supplements, drinks, protein powders...i didn't lose weight, just started bulking up and it wasn't pretty. :|

I do workout before I eat breakfast which right now is a soymilk smoothie. 6 large strawberries and 1½ cups soymilk, cinnamon, lemon juice.

- Christopher McCandless
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    BM42909 wrote:

You masturbate with one hand/arm for 90 seconds. Then you switch to the opposite hand/arm. Repeat until failure.

Only problem there is, it never fails.
    DewieCox wrote:
    BM42909 wrote:

Must.Resist.Itonlytakesyou90seconds.Joke.

- Christopher McCandless
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    RKCNDY wrote:
    DewieCox wrote:
    BM42909 wrote:

Must.Resist.Itonlytakesyou90seconds.Joke.

The faster the better. You don't have to romance yourself.
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    Good for you Lisa. I've heard some good things about it, but given my lazy ass nature, have never embarked on the journey myself. Best of luck, I hope you get the results you're looking for. :)
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
    RKCNDY wrote:
    zarocat wrote:

did you do the recovery drink? When I had a trainer he kept selling me supplements, drinks, protein powders...i didn't lose weight, just started bulking up and it wasn't pretty. :|

I do workout before I eat breakfast which right now is a soymilk smoothie. 6 large strawberries and 1½ cups soymilk, cinnamon, lemon juice.

I do use a recovery drink but I don't drink it after my exercises. I drink it (1.5 scoops in 3 quarters of a bottle of water) during the workout in small bursts in between my water and that's it. i.e water-recovery drink-water etc. Right after my workouts I eat oatmeal with almonds & either blue berries or a banana. An apple is good too with the oatmeal because it contains the amount of carbs one would want post workout. The almonds, the fat one would want post work. Try to find a recovery drink with only 1 or 2 grams of carbs. Some have 10 to 20+ grams of carbs. That's why you were most likely bulking up. Also, no gmo's, artificial ingredients, fillers etc. in the recovery drink.

I stay clear of dairy and find my calcium in other foods. Dairy is absolutely horrible for you. And no pork.
    I also don't measure my meals. I just eat a plate/bowl of food with fat, carbs, protein...it's that simple. Plus, eating 5 times a day is beneficial for your metabolism...blah blah blah
  • Given to...Given to... Posts: 4,986
    The only yoga workout I have ever done where sweat was literally running off the end of my nose to the point my glasses would not stay on!

I did the routine for about 2 months. It works, if you can walk the next day. Also be aware of aching shoulders. There are a ton of isolated and compound movements that can really take a toll on a body coming out of hibernation. Ease into it, and try not to act like the knucklehead... not too many folks can get that excited about an ass whooping!
    "...would you like some forks?" EV 12-02-06
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,668
    edited January 2012
    I did it 2x. This program is the best out there IMO. However, I spent about 9 months moving, travelling, drinking, etc so I am need of doing this again. I started on the 9th.

It is important to follow their diet closely. At least the first "Phase" which will burn the most fat if you can maintain the workouts without many carbohydrates. The diet is 95% of burning fat. Workouts maintain the lean mass below the fat, which shows when the fat is gone (and accelerate fat loss).

Also, you are going to be miserable from about days 2-7. Sore doesnt even describe it. Keep it up. If you feel completely passed by and overwhelmed, there is a Pre-program they offer. Mind you, you arent going to be able to keep up with the people on the DVDs through a lot of stuff. That is fine. You just do your best and try to build on that.

Track your diet on Livestrong, or one of the free calorie tracker sites.

I also take the recovery drink. It has a lot of good stuff in there. I also take Whey and Casein protein... More protein = good if you are trying to lose fat. Just as long as you stay in your calorie range.
    Post edited by MayDay10 on
  • Green CircleGreen Circle Posts: 5,192
    I LOVE this program...It really does work. Beware the Plyometrics holy crap that alone will kick your ass!!
    but you do see results. I need to get back on track and start this program again as well.
    "...And I fight back in my mind. Never lets me be right.
    I got memories. I got shit so much it don't show."
    DAY ONE-Chest and Back

FUCK! I never knew there were so many different kinds of push-ups!

15 girl push-ups I can do fine, the rest...diamond, military, wide arm, decline, dive bomber...I can only get 3-5 of each. My muscles are all twitchy right now. (ok, so decline push-ups I cannot do right now...)

The workouts go fast, so I'm watching what routines they are doing/how they do it, then rewinding to catch up and do my reps.

zarocat: I found some 100% pure whey protein isolate and will add that to my soy smoothies. I stopped eating greek yougurt for now. I just cannot give up cheese, not that I eat it ALL the time...I just have a bit here and there.

MayDay10: I am following a 90-10 diet. 90% healthy, 10% indulge. Living with Mr. RK, will NOT allow me to follow the diet they recommend. I will have to see how much I can follow it. Right now my brain is remembering my first day with the trainer-I hated that day :lol: . I just try to remember the point where I couldn't wait to get of work and go to the gym.

- Christopher McCandless
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    I know a couple people who did it and think it's great.
    My question...

Where did you guys get your program from? Did you order it from the beachbodies website? Also, did you get the extra crap (pullup bar, bands, etc.) and would it be cheaper to by that stuff separately?
    I originally torrented the program... but I thought it was so good I decided to buy it. Got it off of amazon slightly less than Beachbody.

I bought the components separate. Iron Gym chin up bar that fits in any doorway and can be removed, bands, push-up bars, yoga mat, and weighted gloves. The stuff can all be had cheaper. I did splurge on an adjustable dumbbell set, which has served me well for like 3 years.
    mca47 wrote:
    I know a couple people who did it and think it's great.
    My question...

Where did you guys get your program from? Did you order it from the beachbodies website? Also, did you get the extra crap (pullup bar, bands, etc.) and would it be cheaper to by that stuff separately?

I got it from BeachBody...though I have a suspicion that it was a returned product because some of the discs have scratches and fuzzies on them.

Pullup bar can be had from an auction website for $25, and that bar is one single piece, not 3 pieces like the one the site sells you. Right now, I am doing the modified exercises instead of the bar...
    I have adjustable weights that I'm using for now, when I get past the 12lb stage, I will have to buy bands/more weights.
    All the stuff can be bought form the net for much cheaper than the BeachBody site, just read product reviews, and research for good prices.

When you buy the DVDs the website tries to sell you more stuff...supplements, equipment, shakes/drinks etc. I just declined everything. Right now, Amazon and BeachBody are the same price, BB let me break up the payments.

- Christopher McCandless
    Their message board/site is also a great place for support. The one problem is there is some kind of pyramid deal with the coaches, but that is easily ignored. They have contests, and shit for completing the program. When I complete this, I will get a wristband (yipee), a t-shirt, an entry into a contest to get a $25 gift cert, and a raffle to get $250.
    RKCNDY wrote:

zarocat: I just cannot give up cheese

:lol:

RKCNDY wrote:

zarocat: I found some 100% pure whey protein isolate and will add that to my soy smoothies. I stopped eating greek yougurt for now. I just cannot give up cheese, not that I eat it ALL the time...I just have a bit here and there.

Right on RK. I recommend you use just water instead of adding it to anything else. The whey isolate is powerful just on it's own. A scoop per one 8oz glass of water (half a water bottle) and drink it during the program and when finished, drink your smoothie. Try both ways, each for a week and see if you notice any differences. I do that :D Try something for a week and switch it up for a week. I found out what worked for me, my body type, with this strategy :)

Push-ups in my opinion are the essential part of any routine. They're the most amazing exercise! Work your your entire core, shoulders, tri's, chest, bi-ceps...Even your legs! Amazing.
    Here is a push-up routine I follow. I have gone through it and I must say I was unable to complete the numbers during the last week of this program but I incorporate other exercises, like P90X, consecutively, so my body was most likely too tired. This makes you really, really strong. It also develops muscles you never knew were there. I rest anywhere between 1 and 2 minutes between sets. I find it good to keep my blood flowing by lightly jogging on the spot between sets so throughout the routine, I never stop moving. And if I'm unable to complete the amount of push-ups in any given round, I drop and finish it off in the 'girl' push up position. Always try your best to finish off the suggested number.

p.s. ? = do as many as you can

NOTE: Try to use push-up bars so your wrists keep straight

CLIMB TO 100 PUSH UPS

SET 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

WEEK ONE

- MON 4 6 4 4 5+ ? ? ?
    - WED 6 8 6 6 7+ ? ? ?
    - FRI 7 10 7 7 9+ ? ? ?

WEEK TWO 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

- MON 7 9 7 7 10+ ? ? ?
    - WED 8 10 8 8 11+ ? ? ?
    - FRI 9 11 9 9 12+ ? ? ?

WEEK THREE 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

- MON 9 12 9 9 14+ ? ? ?
    - WED 10 13 10 10 16+ ? ? ?
    - FRI 11 14 12 12 18+ ? ? ?

WEEK FOUR 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

- MON 12 15 12 12 18+ ? ? ?
    - WED 14 16 14 14 19+ ? ? ?
    - FRI 15 17 15 15 22+ ? ? ?

WEEK FIVE SET 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

- MON 16 20 16 15 26+ ? ? ?
    - WED 10 10 16 16 10 10 31+ ?
    - FRI 11 11 16 16 11 11 31+ ?

WEEK SIX SET 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

- MON 12 12 22 22 40+ ? ? ?
    - WED 14 14 18 18 14 14 44+ ?
    - FRI 16 16 22 22 16 16 48+ ?

WEEK SEVEN SET 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

- MON 14 20 19 20 55+ ? ? ?
    - WED 18 18 20 20 16 16 16 55+
    - FRI 20 20 22 22 18 18 18 60+
    Try this out. It's great! And it doesn't take very long. It is an actual circuit used by the marines.
    You don't need the jump rope. You can just do the movement :D
    Eventually, in a short time, a few days, you won't need to rest between exercises but I recommend you do to start depending on your level of fitness. But try it ... lol

MARINE CORE CIRCUIT
    (5 minute cardio warm up followed by 6 exercises to complete warm up)

→ 5 minute jump rope
    → Dynamic Stretching - heels to bum while running on the spot - 10 reps
    → Lunges 10 reps
    → Arm rotations 10 reps forward
    → Cross body hugs 10 reps
    → Neck rotations 5 reps each side
    → Full body rotations 5 reps each side

ROUND ONE: (complete 8 sets of round one before moving on to round 2)
    SET: • push-ups (20 seconds) • 10 second rest • jumpin’ jacks (20 seconds) • 10 seconds rest
    • mountain climbers (20 seconds) • 10 second rest • scissor kicks (20 seconds)
    → one minute rest & repeat 7 times for a total of 8 sets • rest one minute and go to round two

ROUND TWO: (this is only 1 set - move on to round three without rest)
    • 20 Squats • 20 squat jumps • 20 lunges - 10 each side •

ROUND THREE: (1 set of static holds)
    • Push-up position - upright - until failure • lay flat back with heel 6 inches off floor - hold until failure

ROUND FOUR: Five minute jump rope.
    edited January 2012
    One more.

You interested in kicking your own ass? Try this :lol: (find a section of stairs 10 to 15 steps - make sure to warm-up and stretch afterwards)

STAIRS
    (Do exercises 1 through 20 with no rest – repeat if possible)

Walk stairs single step at a time • Up & down - 3 x’s
    Walk stairs two steps at a time • Up & down - 3 x’s
    Run up stairs two steps at a time • Walk down - 3 x’s
    Walk up stairs one step at a time • Run down - 3 x’s
    Run up stairs one step at a time • Run down stairs - 3x’s
    Walk stairs single step at a time • Up & down - 1 x
    Walk up stairs on hands & feet • Walk down on hands & feet - 3 x’s
    Walk up stairs on hands & feet • Walk down - 3 x’s
    Run up stairs two steps at a time • Walk down - 2x’s
    Walk up stairs two steps at a time • Run down - 2 x’s
    Frog up stairs • Hop down single step at a time (feet together) - 3 x’s
    Run up stairs sideways • Down side ways - 1 x for each side
    Hop up two steps (till you reach top) & hop back down one step at a time - 1 x
    Hop up & down single step at a time (feet together) - 1, 2 or 3 x’s
    Hop up stairs on one leg • Walk down - 1 x (for each leg for a total of 2 x’s )
    Run stairs one step at a time • Up & down - 3 x’s
    Walk stairs two steps at a time • Up & down - 3 x’s
    Walk stairs single step at a time • Up & down - 3 x’s (This is the cool down/recovery period even if you decide not to repeat)
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on