Penn State Scandal

Comments

• polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    JK_Livin wrote:
    I'm not sure where I read it but there is speculation that the original A.G., the guy that dissappeared, delayed the investigation and dismissed it until after Joe Pa passed the all time win record.

this is like a house of cards ... there is no way we are talking about a few people covering this thing up ... there has got to be way more ... i hope everyone goes down ...
  • f0ed65df.jpg
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,536
    1998 -- Penn State police and the Pennsylvania Department of Public Welfare investigate an incident in which the mother of an 11-year-old boy reported that Sandusky had showered with her son and may have had inappropriate conduct with him. In a June 1, 1998, interview with investigators from both agencies, Sandusky admits showering naked with the boy, admitting that it was wrong and promising not to do it again, according to the grand jury report. The district attorney advises investigators that no charges will be filed and the university police chief instructs that the case be closed, according to the testimony included in the grand jury report of the police detective who investigated the incident.

Anyone involved after this point should be held accountable........

Admits it was wrong and promises not to do it again?.......are you serious.

this is what bothers me. he then retired the next year. always thought there was something weird about his abrupt retirement. then they gave him an office and shower key a year or two later?
    www.myspace.com
  • Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
    CALL IT A DAY JOE PA..STEP DOWN NOW!! How do you not go to the police? How does the guy who witness it not try and stop it? How do you give the guy benefits after the fact? How does anyone not follow up? Some shady shit was going on and I hold all those sick fuckers responsible.
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,536
    Jason P wrote:
    Oh, sweet irony!

It's like if Tressel wrote a book about tattoos in the past, only 1000x more evil. Also, if Joe Pa gets a pass, Tressel should be pissed.

this is the absolute definition of irony. my god.
    www.myspace.com
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    I think this editorial does a decent job:

http://news.yahoo.com/column-sadly-time ... 55140.html
    From what I hear Jo Pa is like Tony Soprano in that area..I find it very hard to believe he did not know all the facts.
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    1998 -- Penn State police and the Pennsylvania Department of Public Welfare investigate an incident in which the mother of an 11-year-old boy reported that Sandusky had showered with her son and may have had inappropriate conduct with him. In a June 1, 1998, interview with investigators from both agencies, Sandusky admits showering naked with the boy, admitting that it was wrong and promising not to do it again, according to the grand jury report. The district attorney advises investigators that no charges will be filed and the university police chief instructs that the case be closed, according to the testimony included in the grand jury report of the police detective who investigated the incident.

Anyone involved after this point should be held accountable........

Admits it was wrong and promises not to do it again?.......are you serious.

this is what bothers me. he then retired the next year. always thought there was something weird about his abrupt retirement. then they gave him an office and shower key a year or two later?

think I read that Sandusky was the primary candidate to replace Paterno, but Paterno told him it would never happen because he was spending too much time with his foundation, so he retired. I wonder if the real reason was that Paterno knew what was really happpening.

Just seems to me that people knew in 1998 - how can Paterno now say everyone was fooled?
  • Jerry Sandusky Reportedly Operated Overnight Childrens Camp At Penn State Through 2009

Jerry Sandusky was charged with dozens of counts of child molestation on Friday, following a two-year grand jury investigation. Since the initial report was released, the attention has turned to who knew what, and how these alleged incidents could've been stopped sooner. According to the grand jury report, head coach Joe Paterno was told of an incident in a Penn State locker room shower involving Sandusky and a juvenile in 2002, but the allegations were cast aside when passed up the line to administrators at the school.

Despite concerns being raised in 2002, it appears Sandusky continued to operate an overnight camp for children at Penn State through 2009.

It's unclear if Sandusky was being paid by Penn State for overseeing the camp, which he operated via his Sandusky Associates company located in State College. But multiple schools in the Penn State system hosted and provided facilities for the program, touted Sandusky's Penn State affiliation, and featured other instructors from the Penn State family in an implicit endorsement of the camp.

A copy of a pamphlet advertising from the camp in 2009 can be found over at Deadspin.

For more on the Nittany Lions, visit Penn St. blog Black Shoe Diaries.
  • Centre County prosecutor Ray Gricar decided not to prosecute then-Penn St. Nittany Lions DC Jerry Sandusky in 1998 after charges of child molestation were made. He never fully explained his decision.

Seven years later, then-district attorney Gricar went missing. His car was found abandoned in a parking lot and his laptop was found in the Susquehanna River, damaged beyond repair. He was declared dead this past July after a fruitless search never turned up his body.

Now, it is very early in the prosecution of Sandusky and it might be a bit of a leap to assume all of this is connected. The one thing that is true, however, is that Gricar's reasons for choosing not to prosecute will almost never be known.

That's not to say Gricer didn't try to find out everything he could about Sandusky. Gricer was said to have led the investigation into the coach himself and even had a police officer hide in the house of an alleged victim while the mother confronted Sandusky. That confrontation allegedly led to Sandusky's admission that he showered with a child.

There is no proof as to whether or not Gricer ever heard about the 2002 shower incident years later.

Whether Gricer decided to disappear and likely kill himself over the Sandusky allegations or something completely unrelated, we'll probably know. That said, police revealed that Gricar's home computer had saved searches for "how to wreck a hard drive" and "water damage to a notebook computer," meaning that he clearly wanted to make sure something never saw the light of day.

http://www.sbnation.com/ncaa-football/2 ... te-missing

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ray_Gricar

According to the grand jury report there were 2 officers in the house on both occasions when the mother confronted Sandusky who at the end of the conversation stated "I wish I was dead". You can read about the details in the grand jury report pages 18/19.

http://www.attorneygeneral.gov/uploaded ... ntment.pdf

Holy crap, Gricar was the DA on the original case? I remember reading all about him disappearing and stuff.

Either his disappearance was related to this case, or probably something else shady that he was involved in.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,832
    this is one of the few times I support the use of extreme torture as punishment
  • I read the 23 page Grand Jury Report last night.

this guy is a pretty sick individual. There is no treatment for his kind. He will continue to prey on children if let go.

The other two are guilty for perjury and not reporting and should suffer the same fate as Sandusky.
    "...And I fight back in my mind. Never lets me be right.
    I got memories. I got shit so much it don't show."
    I read the 23 page Grand Jury Report last night.

this guy is a pretty sick individual. There is no treatment for his kind. He will continue to prey on children if let go.

The other two are guilty for perjury and not reporting and should suffer the same fate as Sandusky.

Jo Pa as well.
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,182
    Wma31394 wrote:
    CALL IT A DAY JOE PA..STEP DOWN NOW!! How do you not go to the police? How does the guy who witness it not try and stop it? How do you give the guy benefits after the fact? How does anyone not follow up? Some shady shit was going on and I hold all those sick fuckers responsible.

Not defending Joe but he didn't witness the scene himself he heard or was told from someone else. At that point you go to your superiors and let them handle it.....in the mean time I would go to Sandusky and find exactly what the hell happened. I mean whomever came to him with what they saw couldve made it up and by going to the police with a let's say false accusations Joe could have been in some trouble if that was the case.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• g under p wrote:
    Wma31394 wrote:

Not defending Joe but he didn't witness the scene himself he heard or was told from someone else. At that point you go to your superiors and let them handle it.....in the mean time I would go to Sandusky and find exactly what the hell happened. I mean whomever came to him with what they saw couldve made it up and by going to the police with a let's say false accusations Joe could have been in some trouble if that was the case.

Peace

Agreed the one guy who witnessed and got freaked and then left, yeah he should have said uhh...sandusky what the hell!! Instead of leaving, running home to tell his dad and then.. told Paterno, Curley and Schultz about what he had seen...he and the father should have gone directly to the police...not sure why that didn't happen.

The whole thing stinks to high heavem
  • Green CircleGreen Circle Posts: 5,192
    edited November 2011
    g under p wrote:
    Wma31394 wrote:

Peace

Agreed the "graduate assistant" who witnessed and got freaked and then left, yeah he should have said uhh...sandusky what the hell!! Instead of leaving, running home to tell his dad and then.. told Paterno, Curley and Schultz about what he had seen...he and the father should have gone directly to the police...not sure why that didn't happen.

Post edited by Green Circle on
  • The same mother also unloaded on McQueary, who testified that as a 28-year-old graduate assistant in 2002 he witnessed Sandusky sexually abusing a young boy but did not make an effort to stop him, instead calling his father for advice before reporting the incident to Joe Paterno: 

"I don't even have words to talk about the betrayal that I feel," said the mom of Victim Six. "[McQueary] was a grown man, and he saw a boy being sodomized ... He ran and called his daddy?"

Former NFL linebacker LaVarr Arrington, who played with McQueary at Penn State, is equally confused. From his radio show on 106.7 FM in Washington D.C., as transcribed by The Patriot-News:
    "I know Mike [McQueary]. Mike was my quarterback,'' Arrington said.

"I know him. So I'm trying to understand, how do you, and again, maybe he felt as though it would be better suited if it came from Coach Paterno. ... I'm going to tell you right now, I gotta stop that [assault].

"Even if it's, 'Coach [Sandusky], I gotta stop you. ... I gotta take this to Coach Paterno right now'. This is not good, oh my gosh, this is not good.'' 

http://mobile.sbnation.com/ncaa-footbal ... e-mcqueary

I don't know how Mike McQueary sleeps at night. 
    edited November 2011
    g under p wrote:
    Wma31394 wrote:

Peace

Agreed the one guy who witnessed and got freaked and then left, yeah he should have said uhh...sandusky what the hell!! Instead of leaving, running home to tell his dad and then.. told Paterno, Curley and Schultz about what he had seen...he and the father should have gone directly to the police...not sure why that didn't happen.

I think you mean the guy who witnessed it should have grabbed a bat and beat sandusky to a bloody pulp for doing what he did to a 10 yr old..Lets be real folks..paterno runs that town..he built it that town..he knew excactly what sandusky was being accused of. In the case of these accusations..the only thing to do is to go to the police..If he did not know..he chose not to know which is just as bad..Then to still provide this scum access to the facilities after these accusations came about?? Paternos life is that program thats why he kept quiet hopeing it would never get out. he put the reputation of the program ahead of the lives of these boys = sick fucker..You are right it stinks.
    Post edited by Wma31394 on
  • g under p wrote:
    Wma31394 wrote:

Peace

I don't get that about McQueary either... if you walk in on a grown man assaulting a boy (in any manner), wouldn't you try to stop it?!?! How can a 28 year old former division I athlete, not step into pull a 60 year old man off a child??? And even if you are afraid to do anything, how do you put that aside after reporting it? I get it, before calling police, you go to your supervisor (JoePa) and the school officials, which did happen. But if you see nothing coming out of it, how do you let it go... how do you sleep at night? I'd be telling everyone who would listen to me.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
    The same mother also unloaded on McQueary, who testified that as a 28-year-old graduate assistant in 2002 he witnessed Sandusky sexually abusing a young boy but did not make an effort to stop him, instead calling his father for advice before reporting the incident to Joe Paterno: 

"I don't even have words to talk about the betrayal that I feel," said the mom of Victim Six. "[McQueary] was a grown man, and he saw a boy being sodomized ... He ran and called his daddy?"

Former NFL linebacker LaVarr Arrington, who played with McQueary at Penn State, is equally confused. From his radio show on 106.7 FM in Washington D.C., as transcribed by The Patriot-News:

"I know him. So I'm trying to understand, how do you, and again, maybe he felt as though it would be better suited if it came from Coach Paterno. ... I'm going to tell you right now, I gotta stop that [assault].

"Even if it's, 'Coach [Sandusky], I gotta stop you. ... I gotta take this to Coach Paterno right now'. This is not good, oh my gosh, this is not good.'' 

Witnessing a man having sex with a boy I'm going to intercede in one way or another EVEN if that boy was a willing participant. Also EVEN if that man was that boss was Joe.

I will say these pedophiles are skilled at what they in hiding it from those who suspect them. I once taught pre-school and at our field we had kids youth soccer games played there. There was a coach who molelested children right there on the field while parents, coaches, players and other teachers including myself and we never suspected a thing. I gather in that case it the child doesn't notify anyone we just never know. He revealed this later after he was arrested, convicted and sentenced to 25-life.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,729
    I have more mixed feelings than I had the other day and posted in the college football thread but I thought this was pretty good.

http://www.blackshoediaries.com/2011/11 ... estigation
  • g under p wrote:
    The same mother also unloaded on McQueary, who testified that as a 28-year-old graduate assistant in 2002 he witnessed Sandusky sexually abusing a young boy but did not make an effort to stop him, instead calling his father for advice before reporting the incident to Joe Paterno: 

Witnessing a man having sex with a boy I'm going to intercede in one way or another EVEN if that boy was a willing participant. Also EVEN if that man was that boss was Joe.

I will say these pedophiles are skilled at what they in hiding it from those who suspect them. I once taught pre-school and at our field we had kids youth soccer games played there. There was a coach who molelested children right there on the field while parents, coaches, players and other teachers including myself and we never suspected a thing. I gather in that case it the child doesn't notify anyone we just never know. He revealed this later after he was arrested, convicted and sentenced to 25-life.

Peace

I was just listen to ESPN Radio, and the no nonsense Herm Edwards was on Cowherd's show.

"When you see a child in danger, you have to do something about it. Right now... There is no protocol, there is no, 'I'm gonna tell this person'. You have to go do what you need to do to protect that child.

You say, I don't care, I'm getting in a fist fight, I might get beat up, but I'm going to protect that child.

That's your obligation as an adult. That is your responsibility... Doesn't have to be your child, any child. That's how it works."
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    g under p wrote:

Peace
    From the child's perspective, you are afraid to tell anyone because you believe that you will be punished for being bad....then there is the embarrassment factor which renders you silent for years despite the damage that causes to your entire well-being. Being a victim of this crime truly sucks....I can not imagine what the actual cost of the damage over a life-time is....JoePa and the university need to step-up and cover any costs needed to help these boys.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,729
    JK_Livin wrote:

This is probably the best take I have seen so far.
    I bet you anything McQueary becomes a fall guy in all of this and this link of events started with what he witnessed. It shouldn't be that way you watch he will probably leave PS and if he does so should Joe Paterno. This is truly a mess.

Peace

All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
    g under p wrote:
    I bet you anything McQueary becomes a fall guy in all of this and this link of events started with what he witnessed. It shouldn't be that way you watch he will probably leave PS and if he does so should Joe Paterno. This is truly a mess.

Peace
    That's why he went to his father for advice....he knew he was the low man on the totem pole and would probably get tossed under the bus before anyone else.
  • He should definitely take a fall he's nothing but a gutless coward as is paterno. Fuck the both of them.
    g under p wrote:

Peace
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    wow ... in reading all this stuff ... makes one consider those moments in time ... those moments when your moral fortitude is put to a very real test ... in my opinion ... many people fail these tests ... we like to think we would do the right thing every time ... but you never know until that moment comes ...

i'm not absolving mcquery here ... but we don't really know the culture back then ... people on this board get bent out of shape if you rat a scalper out or someone who's making a profit on PJ merch ... obviously, these guys will say this is completely different, either way - my point is simply that there may have been a culture that made mcquery not act in a way that i am sure he surely wishes he had ... again - i'm just throwing it out there ...

people get tested all the time and people often fail
This discussion has been closed.