Options

Why do we need to "believe" in God?

Comments

• Options
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    Cosmo wrote:
    Byrnzie wrote:
    'God' is no different from 'Obi Wan Kenobi'.
    He was created by us to fulfill an illusion of superior wisdom and eternal life in human form.
    Not sure why we created Yoda though :think:

Discuss...
    Yoda was created to remind me that I either do... or I don't. There is no 'trying'.

Or maybe George Lucas once had a special relationship with a chihuahua?

mary-the-chihuahua-puppy-dog-420x379.jpg
  • Options
    BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    Yoda was created because Lucas learned and listen to people's responses from around the world to Star Wars and for the first time got a taste of Asian Philosophy and it registered.
  • Options
    Yoda was created because Lucas learned and listen to people's responses from around the world to Star Wars and for the first time got a taste of Asian Philosophy and it registered.

Come to think of it, Yoda does sound a bit like Lao Tzu:

To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders.
    Lao Tzu

He who knows does not speak. He who speaks does not know.
    Lao Tzu

To know you have enough is to be rich.
    Lao Tzu
  • Options
    pandora wrote:
    but I have found God needs me

yikes.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    God needs 'you' as do we need each other :D
  • Options
    BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158

:lol::lol::lol:
    i was drinking when i wrote this, but it's possible
  • Options
    markin ballmarkin ball Posts: 1,067
    Would god exist without humans?
    "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ."

"With our thoughts we make the world"
  • Options
    JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363

Since we created God, I'd say no.
    You don't see other animals worshipping a higher power..
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,760
    Jeanwah wrote:

Now that you mention it, Jeanwah, a friend told me that dogs see us as Gods :D and cats demand that we see them as God!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    wherever everything came from is god

the universe is god
    what circumferences the universe? in fact, all universes combined
    all darkness and all light
    stars no stars including all planets
    nothing and zero mass as of yet

god is the universe

this makes more sense to me than anything else
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    brianlux wrote:
    Jeanwah wrote:

Now that you mention it, Jeanwah, a friend told me that dogs see us as Gods :D and cats demand that we see them as God!
    Okay. Thank you Brian. I have found one of the absolute truths of the Universe.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    chadwick wrote:
    wherever everything came from is god

the universe is god
    what circumferences the universe? in fact, all universes combined
    all darkness and all light
    stars no stars including all planets
    nothing and zero mass as of yet

god is the universe

this makes more sense to me than anything else
    This makes sense.
    We exist today on a spinning planet, orbiting a spinning star in a swirling galaxy amongst billions of galaxies all whirling about in random chaos... we are barely a speck in the greater scheme of things. And we won't always be here. There will come a day when all of this is gone. Not just Man, wiped out when Nature or God causes our extinction... but the planet will die... whether on its own or when our Sun dies... or the myriad of other possibilities that the Universe has in store for us. And the Universe itself, may one day, cease to exist. For all we know, maybe the Universe is a recurring event of nothinness to big bang to nothingness. We don't know.
    But, even after we are gone... God will still be out there. God does not need us, just as the Universe, the Sun or the Earth does not need us.
    I don't know if Man created God... but, I am certain that Man created God in our image. The need to create a purpose of being is probably why we place ourselves in the focus of God's eye. To explain away those thing we cannot explain. The provide comfort during difficult times and to make us significant in the bigger picture.
    So, out of all this... maybe we should just appreciate what we have... in our time of living. Maybe if we understood that this is all we have... we'd be nicer to each other and share all of what God provides with each other.
    Okay... I'm just rambling on here... but, you raise an interesting point. It got me thinking. Thanx.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    pandora wrote:
    God needs 'you' as do we need each other :D
    ... in bed.
    All apologies... I just had the KA-POW Chicken and Veggie Mix plate at the Panda Express.
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    Cosmo wrote:
    So, out of all this... maybe we should just appreciate what we have... in our time of living. Maybe if we understood that this is all we have... we'd be nicer to each other......

yes.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,886
    Cosmo wrote:
    Jeanwah wrote:
    It sounds like you're looking to believe or looking for a religion that's right for you Cosmo. Can I ask why you're so interested? It sounds like you've gotten your answers several times. Are you not satisfied with them? Are you looking for a different answer?

And as I already mentioned, I think believing and throwing all of one's trust and faith into a higher power almost excuses our own behavior, therefore having faith in ourselves and believing that we're our own high power forces us to put extra effort into being a better person. But hey, that's just how I view it all. I don't usually get involved in religious threads because I believe it's a personal thing and to each their own, really.
    Well... I'm a guy who has a yearning to make sense of why I am here. I like to spend time in quiet contemplation trying to understand. I have tried the Christianity route... a couple of three or four times. It's not Christ I forsake, it's Christians that drove me away. If we are following the teachings of Christ... why do we endorse War, the death penalty and scorn others who don't follow as we do? The same goes for those religion who scorn us. I don't buy into the God that the Bible is selling. Religon attaches petty human character traits to Him... making Him more like us, rather than us trying to understand Him.
    Some of my favorite times are spent alone, on an empty beach, watching the Sun set over the Pacific... gazing over the calm waters of a Sierra Lake... watching colors of a desert sunrise... the night sky lit by the billions of stars. There has to be something bigger than my insignificant existance on this tiny rock, circling a mediocre star in an average galaxy.
    I guess... I'm trying to belong. Part of the bigger picture. I understood, at a pretty young age, that I will eventually die. Just like every other living thing... my parents, siblings, my cat... everything. Is this it? it may well be.... but, i guess I don't want it to be.
    So, by my finding God... on my terms, I believe I will have served a greater purpose in life. I am trying to follow Christ's lead, but admit, I often fail. I try to be a good person... but, as Yoda once said.... you either do or you don't... there is no such thing as trying. I do appreciate the little things this life has to offer. And I try to understand others... which is how I have come to accept everyone else's belief systems... if they find in it, what they seek. I'm not saying they are wrong... i'm simply saying, theirs is not for me.
    So... I keep looking for the truth... the absolute truth about God. And the perceptions and relative truth they have found. I am not them and they are not me.
    For humans , there is no such thing.IMO. We will always skew this "truth" by our own perceptions. I think, as I've read some of your posts regarding this, that you have arrived at what you seek. Maybe just being willing to discover is the answer. Continued striving to be a better person than you think you are at a given time.

For myself, it wasnt until I came to rely on a power greater than myself, that I have been able to remain drink and drug free, AND be ok with that decision :mrgreen: . On my own I never could abstain from all at the same time. I have NO idea what it is or how this power does what it does. I just have experienced its work.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    brianlux wrote:
    Jeanwah wrote:

Good point! :lol: It made me laugh.
  • Options
    mickeyrat wrote:
    Cosmo wrote:
    Jeanwah wrote:
    It sounds like you're looking to believe or looking for a religion that's right for you Cosmo. Can I ask why you're so interested? It sounds like you've gotten your answers several times. Are you not satisfied with them? Are you looking for a different answer?

And as I already mentioned, I think believing and throwing all of one's trust and faith into a higher power almost excuses our own behavior, therefore having faith in ourselves and believing that we're our own high power forces us to put extra effort into being a better person. But hey, that's just how I view it all. I don't usually get involved in religious threads because I believe it's a personal thing and to each their own, really.
    Well... I'm a guy who has a yearning to make sense of why I am here. I like to spend time in quiet contemplation trying to understand. I have tried the Christianity route... a couple of three or four times. It's not Christ I forsake, it's Christians that drove me away. If we are following the teachings of Christ... why do we endorse War, the death penalty and scorn others who don't follow as we do? The same goes for those religion who scorn us. I don't buy into the God that the Bible is selling. Religon attaches petty human character traits to Him... making Him more like us, rather than us trying to understand Him.
    Some of my favorite times are spent alone, on an empty beach, watching the Sun set over the Pacific... gazing over the calm waters of a Sierra Lake... watching colors of a desert sunrise... the night sky lit by the billions of stars. There has to be something bigger than my insignificant existance on this tiny rock, circling a mediocre star in an average galaxy.
    I guess... I'm trying to belong. Part of the bigger picture. I understood, at a pretty young age, that I will eventually die. Just like every other living thing... my parents, siblings, my cat... everything. Is this it? it may well be.... but, i guess I don't want it to be.
    So, by my finding God... on my terms, I believe I will have served a greater purpose in life. I am trying to follow Christ's lead, but admit, I often fail. I try to be a good person... but, as Yoda once said.... you either do or you don't... there is no such thing as trying. I do appreciate the little things this life has to offer. And I try to understand others... which is how I have come to accept everyone else's belief systems... if they find in it, what they seek. I'm not saying they are wrong... i'm simply saying, theirs is not for me.
    So... I keep looking for the truth... the absolute truth about God. And the perceptions and relative truth they have found. I am not them and they are not me.
    For humans , there is no such thing.IMO. We will always skew this "truth" by our own perceptions. I think, as I've read some of your posts regarding this, that you have arrived at what you seek. Maybe just being willing to discover is the answer. Continued striving to be a better person than you think you are at a given time.
    I agree with Micky; there is no absolute truth, and that's why it's called faith. It's up to us to believe it without any concrete evidence.
  • Options
    God is a Pearl Jam fan
  • Options
    God is a Pearl Jam fan

God is a cold beer on a hot day.
  • Options
    God is
  • Options
    Jeanwah wrote:
    I agree with Micky; there is no absolute truth, and that's why it's called faith. It's up to us to believe it without any concrete evidence.
    Yes... faith is faith... belief... relative (subjective) truth.
    By the absolute truth... I mean:
    Question: Does God exist?
    Answer 1: Yes.
    Answer 2: No.
    One or the other is true, making its counterpart false. And the thing is... there is no way to prove either answer. It falls into the realm of faith/belief/relative truth.
    And there is no maybe... just like there is no 'Maybe' answer to the question... 'Are you pregnant?' Either you are or you aren't. Big difference with a pregnancy is... you can find definative proof to answer that question. The first thing someone can do is check to see if they are male or female... that would help the person answer with the absolute truth.
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    Cosmo wrote:
    Jeanwah wrote:
    Yes... faith is faith... belief... relative (subjective) truth.
    By the absolute truth... I mean:
    Question: Does God exist?
    Answer 1: Yes.
    Answer 2: No.
    One or the other is true, making its counterpart false. And the thing is... there is no way to prove either answer. It falls into the realm of faith/belief/relative truth.
    And there is no maybe... just like there is no 'Maybe' answer to the question... 'Are you pregnant?' Either you are or you aren't. Big difference with a pregnancy is... you can find definative proof to answer that question. The first thing someone can do is check to see if they are male or female... that would help the person answer with the absolute truth.

people who believe in god think they have the absolute truth that he exists, so the point is unfortunately moot. same with those who say vehemetly that he doesn't exist.

this is why I'm agnostic. no way to prove either way.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    Sometimes people find proof, this is why some have faith, why they believe,
    when they otherwise would have lived their life without God.

One only has to ask to be shown but to ask is not conceivable for some, it implies belief,
    it implies religion, something they dislike or dismiss. Something they can not or will not do.
    Perhaps it even implies weakness to them.

They are content living without faith in God so why ask?

Someone here mentioned curiosity, that can also drive one to ask.
  • Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    pandora wrote:

I think maybe some people have different definitions of "proof". Did you find proof? What was it, if you don't mind me asking?
    pandora wrote:
    One only has to ask to be shown but to ask is not conceivable for some, it implies belief,
    it implies religion, something they dislike or dismiss. Something they can not or will not do.

Not sure if you mean "YOU only had to ask to be shown", as opposed to "ONE only has to ask to be shown"....?
    If it were only that easy for everyone! I've asked. I was patient for years. But most people just tell me it wasnt the right time, I didnt ask correctly, or I wasnt patient enough. How do people know all this stuff?

Personally, I think there has to be a point to preserve your sanity that you stop "asking" for proof. Why cant it come to us? I mean, they always say to guys, you'll find a girlfriend when you stop looking so hard. So many rules in this life, geesh!
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    pandora wrote:

I think maybe some people have different definitions of "proof". Did you find proof? What was it, if you don't mind me asking?
    pandora wrote:

Not sure if you mean "YOU only had to ask to be shown", as opposed to "ONE only has to ask to be shown"....?
    If it were only that easy for everyone! I've asked. I was patient for years. But most people just tell me it wasnt the right time, I didnt ask correctly, or I wasnt patient enough. How do people know all this stuff?

Personally, I think there has to be a point to preserve your sanity that you stop "asking" for proof. Why cant it come to us? I mean, they always say to guys, you'll find a girlfriend when you stop looking so hard. So many rules in this life, geesh!
    rules to live by ... maybe just a few

yes, I found proof in the form of an unexplainable miracle that was life changing, me changing,
    it took 3 years in my case but I have spoke with others with different experiences.

Sharing others experiences has helped me a lot to understand and embrace what I have
    been living.... this where the 'one' comes in instead of 'you'

Asking is great, means you are open to the idea of God.

I would say the opposite on your soul mate, if you don't search for her you may not find her.
    Fate and God walk hand in hand... its a plan.
    And if you don't search for God you may not find God.
  • Options
    That's where I am. I don't ask for proof. If someone has an experience they cannot explain... then, that is their proof. Good for them.
    It doesn't answer any question... it certainly doesn't answer the question of whether there is or isn't a God. it's a relative truth... based on the subject's perspective. I accept relative truths on face value... if the believer truely believes... it becomes their truth.
    But, as previously stated... in the larger scheme of things... belief is just that... belief. It is not truth.
    Now... regarding girls? Well, it think it's easier to figure out God than it is to figure out girls. The one thing i do know... I gotta get out there and mix it up because I never seem to meet any interesting girls while I'm sitting on my couch in my living room.
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,886
    Cosmo wrote:
    That's where I am. I don't ask for proof. If someone has an experience they cannot explain... then, that is their proof. Good for them.
    It doesn't answer any question... it certainly doesn't answer the question of whether there is or isn't a God. it's a relative truth... based on the subject's perspective. I accept relative truths on face value... if the believer truely believes... it becomes their truth.
    But, as previously stated... in the larger scheme of things... belief is just that... belief. It is not truth.
    Now... regarding girls? Well, it think it's easier to figure out God than it is to figure out girls. The one thing i do know... I gotta get out there and mix it up because I never seem to meet any interesting girls while I'm sitting on my couch in my living room.
    theres a truth most men can get behind!!!!
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    pandora wrote:

yes, I found proof in the form of an unexplainable miracle that was life changing, me changing,
    it took 3 years in my case but I have spoke with others with different experiences.

Sharing others experiences has helped me a lot to understand and embrace what I have

I would say the opposite on your soul mate, if you don't search for her you may not find her.

I guess my point is that we all have different definitions of things that make us able to have a belief or faith. I have always assumed that is why we have a bazillion different religions, and each and every one (of course) clians their is the right one, and the next guy is wrong. Wars are fought for godsake.

And if you took 100 random people from all over the world and they experienced the same thing you did, some might think it was an act of God, some might think it was a miracle, God speaking to them, pure luck, coinicidence, desire to feel faith,....who knows.

I think the main reason why a discussion like this is so difficult though, is that nobody will ever see it exactly the way you did. You, yourself called it a "miracle", and unfortunately, a lot of people can't process that, including me.

And the only reason I responded here at all was that, as much as I respect everyone's beliefs, opinions, faith, or whatever, I dont agree with lines like this: "One only has to ask to be shown but to ask is not conceivable for some, it implies belief, it implies religion, something they dislike or dismiss."

...and that quote is open to interpretation of course, but you imply that if everyone asks, they will be shown. I don't think that's quite the case.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    pandora wrote:

I guess my point is that we all have different definitions of things that make us able to have a belief or faith. I have always assumed that is why we have a bazillion different religions, and each and every one (of course) clians their is the right one, and the next guy is wrong. Wars are fought for godsake.

And if you took 100 random people from all over the world and they experienced the same thing you did, some might think it was an act of God, some might think it was a miracle, God speaking to them, pure luck, coinicidence, desire to feel faith,....who knows.

I think the main reason why a discussion like this is so difficult though, is that nobody will ever see it exactly the way you did. You, yourself called it a "miracle", and unfortunately, a lot of people can't process that, including me.

And the only reason I responded here at all was that, as much as I respect everyone's beliefs, opinions, faith, or whatever, I dont agree with lines like this: "One only has to ask to be shown but to ask is not conceivable for some, it implies belief, it implies religion, something they dislike or dismiss."

...and that quote is open to interpretation of course, but you imply that if everyone asks, they will be shown. I don't think that's quite the case.

We have a very different definition of a miracle... luck coincidence :? :? more like knock your f'n socks off.
    This is what has happened to me and I found many others. Interpretation of the event
    is really not an option, it is known, understood.

If you were God, a loving caring God, would you not show yourself to those that need you?
    Those who ask from the heart. Remember God knows your heart and you better than you.

It matters not to me whether people understand nor believe me that is up to them.
    I am not here, never was here to convert nor change anyone's beliefs.
    I speak of my own . . . period

Others ask for proof from me ... when they need to find their own,
    I will always speak of my faith, it is me, it is a gift.

As far as my statement you quoted, it is the truth, I stand by my words.
    Some people are totally against being open to the idea of God.
    They dismiss or dislike religion and can not separate God from religion.

Some say they are searching for God
    yet to find God all one must do is ask.
    Some feel no need for God in their lives. Some can not believe
    because they can not separate science from God,
    and for some it may be a combination of all.

I respect all beliefs, why would anyone not? Our belief in God is unimportant,
    in relation to each other. Having faith in each other is God's intention.
  • Options
    pandora wrote:
    We have a very different definition of a miracle... luck coincidence :? :? more like knock your f'n socks off.
    This is what has happened to me and I found many others. Interpretation of the event is really not an option, it is known, understood.
    If you were God, a loving caring God, would you not show yourself to those that need you?
    Those who ask from the heart. Remember God knows your heart and you better than you.
    It matters not to me whether people understand nor believe me that is up to them.I am not here, never was here to convert nor change anyone's beliefs.I speak of my own . . . period
    Others ask for proof from me ... when they need to find their own,I will always speak of my faith, it is me, it is a gift.
    As far as my statement you quoted, it is the truth, I stand by my words.Some people are totally against being open to the idea of God.They dismiss or dislike religion and can not separate God from religion.
    Some say they are searching for God yet to find God all one must do is ask.
    Some feel no need for God in their lives. Some can not believe because they can not separate science from God,and for some it may be a combination of all.
    I respect all beliefs, why would anyone not? Our belief in God is unimportant,in relation to each other. Having faith in each other is God's intention.
    I apologise for cutting in... but, again... this is more of a critique of others than an affirmation of your own experience.
    Specifically, how do you know Some People are totally against being open to the idea of God, dismiss or dislike religion, can not separate God from religion, can not separate science from God and feel no need for God in their lives?
    Although, you do sum it all up right here, "b]Some People[/b Can not believe". Which, in your case... you CAN believe. Which is what everyone here is saying... 'You Believe, good for you'.
    Hail, Hail!!!
This discussion has been closed.