pandora wrote:
    one of the definitions is ...
    "to be convinced or certain of"
    not to just believe...
    I am certain of, convinced...
    as much so
    as I know anything else I know, as much as I know I am here
    semantics perhaps
    What would make you think I am interested in those questions though? That I would ask?
    Those have not been my questions because when one knows God, none of those questions matter.
    I did not imply my knowledge applies to anyone else ... although I am not alone.
    My point is... to each, his own.
    You are basically a religion of one. You are convinced that you know God due to some past experience. Great. That works for you and set you on your path... happy trails to you.
    But, again... in the real world where the singular absolute truth does exists... you don't know. You may know in the world you live in... but, your relative known/truth only works within your frame of reference.
    That is the point I am making. I am looking for the truth... the absolute truth because relative truths do not apply to me. The truth is... I know I will never find it.
    The only thing I know for sure... is that I don't know. I don't have any answers.
    You clearly did not read the article I posted on the last page - I recommend you do
  • Options
    pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    Cosmo wrote:
    pandora wrote:
    one of the definitions is ...
    "to be convinced or certain of"
    not to just believe...
    I am certain of, convinced...
    as much so
    as I know anything else I know, as much as I know I am here
    semantics perhaps
    What would make you think I am interested in those questions though? That I would ask?
    Those have not been my questions because when one knows God, none of those questions matter.
    I did not imply my knowledge applies to anyone else ... although I am not alone.
    My point is... to each, his own.
    You are basically a religion of one. You are convinced that you know God due to some past experience. Great. That works for you and set you on your path... happy trails to you.
    But, again... in the real world where the singular absolute truth does exists... you don't know. You may know in the world you live in... but, your relative known/truth only works within your frame of reference.
    That is the point I am making. I am looking for the truth... the absolute truth because relative truths do not apply to me. The truth is... I know I will never find it.
    The only thing I know for sure... is that I don't know. I don't have any answers.
    I am no religion, not of one or many that's for sure :lol:
    but I have met others like me recently, it is comforting.

We all live in the same world ...

Never is a long time Cosmo. You are brighter than most stars,
    a lovely soul, wise and fair... generous ... let your heart reach.
    The truth is going to find you if you want to listen.

Looking for clues, I love that song.

Always 'to each their own' it can't be any other way ...
    how can we walk our path if we are not our own?

It is nice though on the path to have a hand to hold
    and a tune to sing :D
  • Options
    markin ballmarkin ball Posts: 1,067
    fuck wrote:
    Just for the record, as far as I'm concerened, you, or anyone else, can feel whatever you want to, but I think there is a logic flaw in the statement I bolded. I would say your "faith" in oxygen is based on the processes of science whereas your faith in god and Christ is not. Any thoughts?
    This is a bad assumption you are basing your entire argument off of. I can't speak for the previous poster, but you act as if science and God are mutually exclusive. here's an interesting article:

"What Hawking Based His Theory On

Einstein died in 1955, having left behind an unresolved mystery: quantum reality. What Stephen Hawking and the entire scientific community refer to as the Laws of Physics (like gravity and inertia), it turns out, do not apply in the quantum world (i.e. sub-atomic world). But how can the universe’s building bricks, the stuff that makes the entire universe, have different physical laws than the universe they make? Moreover, scientists discovered that in the quantum world, the same exact electron or proton can exist in more than one place at the same time. Such a phenomenon is not allowed to occur in a world governed by the laws of physics.

It’s crucial to note here that scientists are not happy about their quantum findings (unlike philosophers, scientists want things to make sense and to be based on the observed the world). Ever since quantum theory became a fact, scientists (including Einstein who unintentionally set the basis for it) have relentlessly been trying to at least tweak it to match common sense. In one of the greatest scientific debates in history (Copenhagen, 1940), Einstein and Danish scientist, Niels Bohr, reached a dead end: will there ever come a scientist to trump the impeccable findings of quantum theory? Einstein, till his death, believed it was inevitable, while Bohr said it will never happen because the problem is in the act of measuring itself (it alters quantum reality). Every scientist who attempted to disprove quantum theory, with empirical evidence nevertheless, only ended up providing even more empirical evidence to quantum theory. Contrary to scientists’ desires, quantum theory remains a fact until today.

Hawking did not utilize quantum theory to justify his most recent conclusion, rather he bypassed it. He said that “because there is a law such as gravity, the universe can and will create itself from nothing.” What quantum theory proved is not that matter can appear and disappear (i.e. created from nothing), but that our measuring devices were unable to explain whether matter exists at all. If quantum theory is correct (and so far it is), it means that the universe we live in does not really exist.

“The world isn’t made of things. It’s not made of objects… The notion that big things are made of little things, quantum theory doesn’t describe the world that way. Big things aren’t made of little things. They are made of entities whose attributes aren’t there when you don’t look, but become there when you do look. The world exists when we don’t look at it in some strange state that is indescribable, and then when we look at it, it becomes absolutely ordinary, as though someone were trying to pull something over our eyes. The world is an illusion.” ~ Nick Herbert, Ph.D.

One of several popular explanations (among scientists) as to why quantum theory shows us what Einstein referred to as “voodoo” is that the universe we experience is but a hologram of the actual universe. Another suggests, through string theory, that there is not one universe, but a multi-verse where reality could be mirrors that appear and disappear randomly, which would explain why an electron can exist in two different places at the same time.

It must be understood that the difference between physics (science in general) and philosophy is that the former is based on empirical evidence. In other words, when a physicist like Nick Herbert says the universe is an illusion, this must be proven in a lab! What Bohr was trying to say was that the reason we end up with such an obnoxious lab result has to do with the act of measuring itself, that human beings are simply incapable of proving that the world is real. Einstein, on the other hand, rejected the notion and believed that one day, the appropriate lab device would be invented to show that quantum theory results are nonsense. So far, all attempts and all measuring devices invented, have only further confirmed Bohr’s position.

“Science makes God unnecessary” ~ Stephen Hawking.

When Hawking says that the existence of God is no longer necessary to explain how the universe was created, he is not saying that God does not exist, nor is he saying that we finally figured out how the universe was created. All what he said was that now we have a new reasonable theory of how the universe was created which does not require a First Mover (First Cause). He mixed the findings of the probabilistic quantum theory (world is fuzzy and laws of physics don’t apply) with the big bang theory (the universe began as a singularity, an existence with no dimensions, governed by the laws of physics), to say that the singularity belongs to the quantum world, where cause and effect no longer holds, which means that singularity could very well come from nothing, and that time (the fourth dimension) does not exist when there is no existence, so there was no such thing as “time” before the creation of that singularity, which means there was nothing before existence in order to create anything.

However, the problem is not only about the “time” dimension, but the other three dimensions that represent the void (nothingness). Does nothingness have dimensions? If we say yes, then we can no longer say it is nothing. If you can visualize nothingness, then it is no longer nothingness. And I’m not talking about the void in outer space. Physicists have already accounted for the vast nothingness in between celestial bodies, referring to it as dark matter and dark energy, together comprising 96% of the universe (leaving only 4% of the universe we can perceive). I’m talking about what comprises 99.99999999% of every atom! What “stuff” is between an electron and a proton? And if the universe is made of atoms and dark (negative) atoms, then what we are actually perceiving is only the fan blades (0.00000001%), while the remaining is unaccounted for as anything. This is what reinforces the hologram theory of the universe aforementioned: perhaps the singularity that spun this universe did not really bang, but instead emitted itself into the void, like a laser show, and painted the void with energy (i.e. matter), including the minds of human beings who are contemplating all of this.

Conclusion

Unfortunately, science has been in an existential lock-down ever since Einstein opened the gates of quantum theory decades ago, when all laws of physics fell apart in the quantum lab. But since “to a man with a hammer, everything looks like a nail,” a scientist can only resolve the paradoxes he encounters with, well, more science!

But Bohr was right in ways that unimaginative scientists (men with hammers who think everything is a nail) cannot understand: the problem with science is the measuring device. In other words, the scientific method is not equipped to enable us to understand what the universe is made of, let alone how it was created.

Hawking did say one thing that is absolutely true: the human mind is conditioned to think in terms of cause and effect (it is what truly separates mankind from all other living beings). And all human knowledge is based on this universal principle.

“There is only one constant,” said the Merovingian in The Matrix Reloaded, “one universality that is the only real truth: causality — action [and] reaction; cause and effect…. Our only hope, our only peace, is to understand it, to understand the “why.” “Why” is what separates us from them. “Why” is the only real source of power. Without it, you’re powerless.“

Hawking, however, showed how there is a way (a logic) to consider a universe without cause and effect. In fact, human beings (and only human beings) seem to be wired to see the world through causality. A cat, for instance, does not wonder where the ball that rolled down the living room came from. All human infants do.

Philosophers and metaphysicists have figured out centuries ago what physicists are now discovering with mathematics and labs. But the mysteries of the universe were never meant to be understood in labs. Physics (and math) are but tools, like a hammer, and they’re extremely effective in building cars, airplanes, and other wonderful gadgets and machines. But some things are not nails."

http://www.kabobfest.com/2011/08/stephe ... verse.html

I'm not sure you understood my point (perhaps I was not clear) however your criticism is based on the ultimate assumption...that god exists.
    "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ."

"With our thoughts we make the world"
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,760
    For some reason this thread keeps seeping into my thoughts- don't know why. It's not like I'm uncertain about my beliefs (I'm not the least bit uncertain- uncertainty is a given.)

Anyway, as I was driving to work this morning I remembered being told several times "When you die you will stand before God and everyone and your entire life will be laid bare" (or something along those lines). As I thought about this my logical left brain chimed in with, "Yeah, ok, but when you die your body will cease to function. You- that is, all that is the visible you, will turn back to bones, dust, and daisies and the only you that will be left to stand before God will be either the electrical impulses that have eminated from your brain while it was alive or your spirit. But since one's spirit is tangible and no one yet (to my knowledge) has proven what that spirit actually is and no one (I believe) has stood before God and come back to tell the rest of us about it, how do we know that will happen... or anything will happen?"

Suddenly, something just seemed so clear to me: You always stand before yourself and anytime you are not alone, you stand before your fellow humans. Now is the time to redeem yourself. Everytime you face yourself or your fellow human, you have the chance to redeem yourself.

I became much friendlier today.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    pandora wrote:
    I am no religion, not of one or many that's for sure :lol: but I have met others like me recently, it is comforting.
    Never is a long time Cosmo. You are brighter than most stars, a lovely soul, wise and fair... generous ... let your heart reach. The truth is going to find you if you want to listen.
    Always 'to each their own' it can't be any other way ... how can we walk our path if we are not our own?
    It is nice though on the path to have a hand to hold and a tune to sing :D
    Well... based upon the things you've said here... your statement of knowing God... that's a religion. You may be the only member, but that is a doctrine... "I Know God"... yup, that's a religion.
    Also, I will never find any truth by simply listening. There is so much bullshit, dogma, static, lies and relative truths... and so many people telling me they know the truth... yet, cannot tell me what it is... tells me it isn't the truth. I know... I know... 'Listen with your heart... peace, love and rainbows...' and all of that stuff I've heard a million times before... I didn't buy it then, and I ain't buying it now.
    But, yeah... I keep looking for something because I know I am not te enlightened one that knows. Like I said... I only know that i really don't know squat.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    brianlux wrote:
    For some reason this thread keeps seeping into my thoughts- don't know why. It's not like I'm uncertain about my beliefs (I'm not the least bit uncertain- uncertainty is a given.)

Anyway, as I was driving to work this morning I remembered being told several times "When you die you will stand before God and everyone and your entire life will be laid bare" (or something along those lines). As I thought about this my logical left brain chimed in with, "Yeah, ok, but when you die your body will cease to function. You- that is, all that is the visible you, will turn back to bones, dust, and daisies and the only you that will be left to stand before God will be either the electrical impulses that have eminated from your brain while it was alive or your spirit. But since one's spirit is tangible and no one yet (to my knowledge) has proven what that spirit actually is and no one (I believe) has stood before God and come back to tell the rest of us about it, how do we know that will happen... or anything will happen?"

Suddenly, something just seemed so clear to me: You always stand before yourself and anytime you are not alone, you stand before your fellow humans. Now is the time to redeem yourself. Everytime you face yourself or your fellow human, you have the chance to redeem yourself.

Nice one, Brian. My take:
    You do good deeds... not to show other people... not even because Jesus and God are watching. You do good deeds because it its the right thing to do. Not looking for acknowledgement, admirations or a reserved seat in Heaven... that would mean you are expecting something in return. How sincere is that, right? You do it because it is the right thing to do.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    edited October 2011
    Cosmo wrote:
    brianlux wrote:

You do good deeds... not to show other people... not even because Jesus and God are watching. You do good deeds because it its the right thing to do. Not looking for acknowledgement, admirations or a reserved seat in Heaven... that would mean you are expecting something in return. How sincere is that, right? You do it because it is the right thing to do.

And that feels good, doesn't it? Because it's enough.
    Post edited by Jeanwah on
  • Options
    ShimmyMommyShimmyMommy Posts: 7,505
    Cosmo wrote:
    brianlux wrote:

+ a million on both of your comments, brianlux and Cosmo
    Lots of love, light and hugs to you all!
  • Options
    Jeanwah wrote:
    And that feels good, doesn't it?
    Yeah... typically, I guess.
    But, hypothetically, i can see how sometimes, doing the right thing would make you feel shitty.
    Like, if you knew your brother murdered someone... and the cops don't know who did it and snag some innocent dude. No matter what you say, you are not convincing your brother to turn himself in.
    What do you do?
    I'd have to say... I'd like to believe that I would turn him in. It's the right thing to do... but, very painful.
    Well, i guess I'm not going to get invited to Thanxgiving... right?
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    Cosmo wrote:
    Jeanwah wrote:
    And that feels good, doesn't it?
    Yeah... typically, I guess.
    But, hypothetically, i can see how sometimes, doing the right thing would make you feel shitty.
    Like, if you knew your brother murdered someone... and the cops don't know who did it and snag some innocent dude. No matter what you say, you are not convincing your brother to turn himself in.
    What do you do?
    I'd have to say... I'd like to believe that I would turn him in. It's the right thing to do... but, very painful.
    Well, i guess I'm not going to get invited to Thanxgiving... right?

How often does that happen though? :shock: That's quite the extreme example. Generally, doing the right thing, whatever it is and if it aligns with your values, will ultimately feel good. Because you're being true to yourself. And being true to yourself, in my opinion, is much more substantial than being true to whatever God or religion you may believe in.
  • Options
    Jeanwah wrote:
    How often does that happen though? :shock: That's quite the extreme example. Generally, doing the right thing, whatever it is and if it aligns with your values, will ultimately feel good. Because you're being true to yourself. And being true to yourself, in my opinion, is much better than being true to whatever God or religion you may believe in.
    Hopefully... never.
    I was just thinking of some situation where the result would make me feel absolutely horrible. And i thought of the UnaBomber's brother that did the right thing... and was chastised by many people as a snitch and a rat.
    But, yes... doing the right thing, generally, feels good. and you said it best, "... being true to yourself, in my opinion, is much better than being true to whatever God or religion you may believe in.".
    Which reminds me of something that always happens here at work...
    Every year, we take a collection and 'Adopt A Family' for Christmas. We all get good feelings of charity and kindness...
    BUT... during the year... I hear venomous complaints about stupid whores who can't keep their legs closed, spitting out evil little spawn that become a burden to our state and the obligatory, "Why sould I have to pay for HER?" complaint. (By the way, the correct answer is, "Because you are a human being and fortunate enough to be working and eating and she is a young mother who is trying to raise kids by herself".)
    Anyway... come Christmas time... that little Mexican whore with the 3 kids from 2 different fathers becomes the symbol of our Christian Fellowship and we shower this needy single mother of 3 with all the love we can... because Jesus is watching us.
    After January... she's transformed back to that stupid little whore and her cockroach spawn. Doesn't Jesus hear us bitching about how our good money is wasted on these social vermin? Doesn't kind of piss Him off?
    My guess... He weeps.
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    satansbedsatansbed Posts: 2,138
    Cosmo wrote:
    brianlux wrote:

but what is the right thingm what if there is no right thing

for example murder is bad

but if you murdered one person to save many would that still be bad
  • Options
    satansbed wrote:
    but what is the right thing? what if there is no right thing
    It is relative to the person. You follow your own moral compass and pass judgement upon yourself.
    As for your example...
    A U.S. soldier shoots an Afghani Taliban fighter.
    An Afghani fighter shoots a U.S. soldier.
    Heroes? Villians? Who is right? Neither? Both?
    It all comes down to perspective... depending if you an American or an Afghani. One kills a 'terrorist', the other kills a 'foriegn invader'.
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    satansbedsatansbed Posts: 2,138
    Cosmo wrote:
    satansbed wrote:
    but what is the right thing? what if there is no right thing
    It is relative to the person. You follow your own moral compass and pass judgement upon yourself.
    As for your example...
    A U.S. soldier shoots an Afghani Taliban fighter.
    An Afghani fighter shoots a U.S. soldier.
    Heroes? Villians? Who is right? Neither? Both?
    It all comes down to perspective... depending if you an American or an Afghani. One kills a 'terrorist', the other kills a 'foriegn invader'.

yeah thats what i was trying to say

but can you really criticize human rights abuses in a war, for example, if they ultimately result in a better state of affairs

and also if you try to do something "good" you can have unintended consequences for example it is good that there be some sort of minimum wage but that can also mean that there is less work
  • Options
    Cosmo wrote:
    Every year, we take a collection and 'Adopt A Family' for Christmas. We all get good feelings of charity and kindness...
    BUT... during the year... I hear venomous complaints about stupid whores who can't keep their legs closed, spitting out evil little spawn that become a burden to our state and the obligatory, "Why sould I have to pay for HER?" complaint. (By the way, the correct answer is, "Because you are a human being and fortunate enough to be working and eating and she is a young mother who is trying to raise kids by herself".)
    Anyway... come Christmas time... that little Mexican whore with the 3 kids from 2 different fathers becomes the symbol of our Christian Fellowship and we shower this needy single mother of 3 with all the love we can... because Jesus is watching us.
    After January... she's transformed back to that stupid little whore and her cockroach spawn. Doesn't Jesus hear us bitching about how our good money is wasted on these social vermin? Doesn't kind of piss Him off?
    My guess... He weeps.

this is something that has always bothered me. people seem to think that needy people are only needy at Christmas. My family once decided to spend christmas volunteering at a soup kitchen for the day. guess what? so did the rest of the city. the place was so overrun with volunteers they had to send people home and they BITCHED. The agency pleaded with them to come back on a REGULAR DAY. But how many do? they just have this selfish need to feel good about themselves serving the homeless before they go back to their giant turkey dinner and trimmings.

I didn't volunteer that day. The rest of my family did. I knew what would happen. They didn't. And they bitched. I was so disappointed.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    you have to BELIEVE because to attract a moth, you must first promise the flame. the existence of the flame is irrelevant.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    Cosmo wrote:
    pandora wrote:
    I am no religion, not of one or many that's for sure :lol: but I have met others like me recently, it is comforting.
    Never is a long time Cosmo. You are brighter than most stars, a lovely soul, wise and fair... generous ... let your heart reach. The truth is going to find you if you want to listen.
    Always 'to each their own' it can't be any other way ... how can we walk our path if we are not our own?
    It is nice though on the path to have a hand to hold and a tune to sing :D
    Well... based upon the things you've said here... your statement of knowing God... that's a religion. You may be the only member, but that is a doctrine... "I Know God"... yup, that's a religion.
    Also, I will never find any truth by simply listening. There is so much bullshit, dogma, static, lies and relative truths... and so many people telling me they know the truth... yet, cannot tell me what it is... tells me it isn't the truth. I know... I know... 'Listen with your heart... peace, love and rainbows...' and all of that stuff I've heard a million times before... I didn't buy it then, and I ain't buying it now.
    But, yeah... I keep looking for something because I know I am not te enlightened one that knows. Like I said... I only know that i really don't know squat.
    you wrote previously

"My take is simple:
    God and religion are not the same thing.
    God does not subscribe to or endorse any religion.
    Religion makes the connection to God... religion claims God as their possession.
    Religion causes people to kill or die in God's Name.
    Holy scriptures were written by Man, not God."

You seem to be changing your opinion saying I am a religion because I know God.
    You seem to contradict here.

So I take it you think perhaps there exists a God
    but God has nothing to do with man made religions of the world.
    But because I know this and have found that to be true
    I am then a religion,
    but religion is not God
    and God does not endorse my knowing him.

I am confused with your stance.

I'd like to go back to "to each their own" you had me there.

I realize some logical people of the world find it hard to feel before thinking,
    but sometimes that is the logical thing to do.
    Let your heart reach new heights and your mind will follow,
    there is where the answers lie... 'to each their own' ... as unique as each heart.
  • Options
    God's a real piece of shit these days, anyway.
    I knew it all along, see?
  • Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    I am of the belief that people need to believe in God for comfort. To the best of my knowledge humans are the only one's who can imagine their own death. I think the vast majority of people don't want think that once dead that's it...just a long dirt nap.

I am in the "I don't know camp".

As long as people don't force God on other people I don't see the harm in believing.

Religion is more of a problem for me.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    DanimalDanimal Posts: 2,000
    “Science makes God unnecessary” ~ Stephen Hawking.

If I couldn't use the bathroom by myself, I would be preaching the same thing.
    "I don't believe in PJ fans but I believe there is something, not too sure what." - Thoughts_Arrive

• Options
    pandora wrote:
    you wrote previously
    "My take is simple:
    Religion makes the connection to God... religion claims God as their possession.

So I take it you think perhaps there exists a God but God has nothing to do with man made religions of the world. But because I know this and have found that to be true I am then a religion, but religion is not God and God does not endorse my knowing him.
    I realize some logical people of the world find it hard to feel before thinking,
    Let your heart reach new heights and your mind will follow, there is where the answers lie... 'to each their own' ... as unique as each heart.
    It is simple... the Religion/God relationship is one way. Religions stake claims to God... God does not endorse one Religion.
    Your statement, 'I Know God' is no different from the basic dogma of Christianity, Islam, Judaism and any monotheistic religion. All religions claim to know God.
    You add, "But because I know this and have found that to be true..." wreeks of religious dogma. You are claiming to Know... and what you know is Truth. That is Religion.
    My take is.. I don't know. I KNOW I don't know. I do not claim to know the truth... therefore, I keep looking. Thanx for the whole Hallmark Card saying about opening hearts and la la la... but, I'm not looking for your truth... I am looking for God's truth.
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    Cosmo wrote:
    pandora wrote:
    you wrote previously
    "My take is simple:

So I take it you think perhaps there exists a God but God has nothing to do with man made religions of the world. But because I know this and have found that to be true I am then a religion, but religion is not God and God does not endorse my knowing him.
    Let your heart reach new heights and your mind will follow, there is where the answers lie... 'to each their own' ... as unique as each heart.
    It is simple... the Religion/God relationship is one way. Religions stake claims to God... God does not endorse one Religion.
    Your statement, 'I Know God' is no different from the basic dogma of Christianity, Islam, Judaism and any monotheistic religion. All religions claim to know God.
    You add, "But because I know this and have found that to be true..." wreeks of religious dogma. You are claiming to Know... and what you know is Truth. That is Religion.
    My take is.. I don't know. I KNOW I don't know. I do not claim to know the truth... therefore, I keep looking. Thanx for the whole Hallmark Card saying about opening hearts and la la la... but, I'm not looking for your truth... I am looking for God's truth.
    So you are basically saying it is impossible to know God then
    so why are you searching for God's truth?
    and will you dismiss it
    as you do what I have found?

What if in the end we find God's truth is in the person next to us?

You say that God and religion are separate...
    then if I am a religion I must not know God.

It is as though you think anyone who believes in God is wrong
    because no one can know God.

I have been challenged here many times because I do believe.
    Often sighting,
    believers try to push God on others. I have never done that but remain
    challenged for the mere fact that I believe.

I said I know God, which I do, and I am challenged.

I state my beliefs like the next guy and do not attempt to make believers out of anyone
    because I can't. I feel and have stated before one finds God through personal experience
    and with their heart in their time on their path

or not.

And to each their own I have no need to convert anyone
    and I follow no religion.

But your 'reeks' leads me to believe you are like most non believers
    and think God is religion and anyone of any religion is wrong....
    but you add 'to each their own' without really meaning it.

Also that you are searching for God but then disregard others who have found
    God in their own way and do so a dismissive manner, when you could embrace it.
  • Options
    pandora wrote:
    So you are basically saying it is impossible to know God then so why are you searching for God's truth? and will you dismiss it as you do what I have found? What if in the end we find God's truth is in the person next to us?
    You say that God and religion are separate... then if I am a religion I must not know God.
    It is as though you think anyone who believes in God is wrong because no one can know God.
    I have been challenged here many times because I do believe. Often sighting, believers try to push God on others. I have never done that but remain challenged for the mere fact that I believe.
    I state my beliefs like the next guy and do not attempt to make believers out of anyone because I can't. I feel and have stated before one finds God through personal experience and with their heart in their time on their path or not.
    And to each their own I have no need to convert anyone and I follow no religion.
    But your 'reeks' leads me to believe you are like most non believers and think God is religion and anyone of any religion is wrong.... but you add 'to each their own' without really meaning it.
    Also that you are searching for God but then disregard others who have found God in their own way and do so a dismissive manner, when you could embrace it.
    What part of 'To Each, his own' are you confused with?
    You are reacting JUST as any religion does when someone questions or rejects your doctrine. You feel threatened, set up a defensive perimeter then go on the offensive, when I really don't care what your belief is and if it makes you happy... GREAT. It is YOUR religion, not mine. This typical reaction leads me to believe that you are another religion of one that I have often encountered. You are both the Preacher that claims to know God and Truth.. and you are the flock that believes in that doctrine. And that is great because it works for YOU... just as Christianity works for some, Islam works for others... but, none of it works for me.
    Like I said, over and over and over again... I don't know... I don't claim to know. The only absolute truth I know about God is that I don't know... but, I'm still looking.
    P.S. Regarding, "What if in the end we find God's truth is in the person next to us?"
    Doesn't that mean that in the end... Usama bin Laden or Rev. Fred Phelps could be carrying the truth?
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    Cosmo wrote:
    pandora wrote:
    So you are basically saying it is impossible to know God then so why are you searching for God's truth? and will you dismiss it as you do what I have found? What if in the end we find God's truth is in the person next to us?
    You say that God and religion are separate... then if I am a religion I must not know God.
    It is as though you think anyone who believes in God is wrong because no one can know God.
    I have been challenged here many times because I do believe. Often sighting, believers try to push God on others. I have never done that but remain challenged for the mere fact that I believe.
    I state my beliefs like the next guy and do not attempt to make believers out of anyone because I can't. I feel and have stated before one finds God through personal experience and with their heart in their time on their path or not.
    And to each their own I have no need to convert anyone and I follow no religion.
    But your 'reeks' leads me to believe you are like most non believers and think God is religion and anyone of any religion is wrong.... but you add 'to each their own' without really meaning it.
    Also that you are searching for God but then disregard others who have found God in their own way and do so a dismissive manner, when you could embrace it.
    What part of 'To Each, his own' are you confused with?
    You are reacting JUST as any religion does when someone questions or rejects your doctrine. You feel threatened, set up a defensive perimeter then go on the offensive, when I really don't care what your belief is and if it makes you happy... GREAT. It is YOUR religion, not mine. This typical reaction leads me to believe that you are another religion of one that I have often encountered. You are both the Preacher that claims to know God and Truth.. and you are the flock that believes in that doctrine. And that is great because it works for YOU... just as Christianity works for some, Islam works for others... but, none of it works for me.
    Like I said, over and over and over again... I don't know... I don't claim to know. The only absolute truth I know about God is that I don't know... but, I'm still looking.
    P.S. Regarding, "What if in the end we find God's truth is in the person next to us?"
    Doesn't that mean that in the end... Usama bin Laden or Rev. Fred Phelps could be carrying the truth?
    To me you appear to me to be threatened and very confusing....

You say to each his own but then speak with contempt... that is contrary.
    As are your contradictions on God, know, religion are.

You don't know, yes I got that.

But you are telling me I don't know either and that I can't know
    from the start of this discussion.

This you believe because you don't know so if you don't I can't either
    or I guess no one else can.

That seems like you are threatened by the thought that others believe.

No one preaches nor flocking... I was saying I know God... that is all I said.
    why would that be threatening to you? and how would that be preaching?
    I speak for myself that I know God.... because I do.

This is not respecting others beliefs ... it is not to each their own
    as I feel towards you. You are dismissing my belief while searching for yours.

I believe you are a very wise person and will find your truth on your path,
    good luck to you Cosmo.
  • Options
    ShawshankShawshank Posts: 1,018
    Shawshank wrote:
    I don't feel I have a need, or that I'm compelled to believe in God. I just do. Kind of like I know there's oxygen in the air I breathe. I can't see it, but I know it gives me life. I have a deep faith in God, and have had it for as long as I can remember. The weird thing is, is neither of my parents, or really anyone in my family were ever really church goers. I seldom went to church, and was very seldom ever engaged in that part of society. But still I always believed in God without question. Even though now my wife and I go to church regularly, and I absolutely believe in God, and accept Jesus Christ, I find myself vehemently opposed to much of what organized religion tries to push on people. Religion, in my eyes, is the biggest bunch of BS ever. Religion is nothing but man's way of trying to make themselves feel important...to make themselves feel empowered...it's man's way to make themselves feel like they have all the answers...religion is man's bogus way of pushing themselves to be closer to God. Kind of like an annoying person that tries waaaayyy too hard to be your friend. It's also nothing more than man's way of acting on God's behalf in many cases, especially when it comes to being judgmental about things like homosexuality. That's obviously a big one. I just don't see where it's our place to judge.

I guess I just don't have a problem admitting I don't have all the answers, and I feel confident enough in my faith to be cool with that. I don't believe there's anything in Science that dispels God, and I believe that everything, the construction of our universe, the laws of physics, evolution, all of it just screams God to me. So I don't believe because I have some sort of need, I just believe because I can't help but do so.

Just for the record, as far as I'm concerened, you, or anyone else, can feel whatever you want to, but I think there is a logic flaw in the statement I bolded. I would say your "faith" in oxygen is based on the processes of science whereas your faith in god and Christ is not. Any thoughts?

Sorry, I haven't been on in a while, and just now saw your reply to my post.

I guess what I was getting at is, I don't necessarily have to see God to know He is there, just like I don't see the oxygen I breathe into my lungs to know it is there. Yes I realize that scientifically speaking, we can measure the oxygen molecules in the air, and we can even cool oxygen enough until it forms a liquid so that we can visibly see it.

Call me weak minded if you will, but I have an extraordinarily difficult time believing that all of this is a big accident. That's just my belief. I spend a lot of time with nature, growing food, raising animals, keeping honeybees and watching things develop. I believe many Christians and religious folks of various beliefs, have a hard time accepting science, because they think it takes away from God, but I'm the exact opposite. I think the more we learn the more it should draw us closer to God. When you see the delicate intertwined web of circumstances that allow for life, and when you realize how everything works together, even down to the cellular and molecular level, it's an amazing set of universal laws.

People try to dismiss evolution, whereas I absolutely embrace it! I love the thought of life changing, and in most cases improving upon itself. Like I've mentioned before in another thread..."something" causes that change to occur. A honeybee did not always have a stinger, it was an evolutionary change. So what part of the bee decided..."hey these other bees are getting mean, I need a way to defend myself, I think I'll make a stinger". Fast forward a few million years, what made the honeybee say..."wow this stinger works great on other bees, but these mammals keep eating my family, I think I need a barb on this stinger so it will stick in their flesh and keep my hive safe". Something changed the genetic programming within bees. And really when you get down to the core of it, our genetic makeup, our DNA is very similar to computer programming. We didn't go from Windows 3.1 to Windows 7 by magic, someone actually rewrote the code that makes that program. That doesn't necessarily mean the old version was imperfect, it was just adequate for that time period, and as technology progressed new and improved code had to be created. That is how I see evolution.

So I've always been fascinated by the link between God and science. I don't see how science can completely discount the possibility that everything we know was created by God, because there's no way to know for sure, and there are many things that science embraces that are not definitively proven. On the other hand I also think it's ridiculous that so many Christians just completely shrug off science, because they feel it interferes with their belief.
  • Options
    pandora wrote:
    To me you appear to me to be threatened and very confusing....
    You say to each his own but then speak with contempt... that is contrary.
    As are your contradictions on God, know, religion are.
    You don't know, yes I got that.
    But you are telling me I don't know either and that I can't know from the start of this discussion.
    This you believe because you don't know so if you don't I can't either or I guess no one else can.
    That seems like you are threatened by the thought that others believe.
    No one preaches nor flocking... I was saying I know God... that is all I said. why would that be threatening to you? and how would that be preaching? I speak for myself that I know God.... because I do.
    This is not respecting others beliefs ... it is not to each their own as I feel towards you. You are dismissing my belief while searching for yours.
    I believe you are a very wise person and will find your truth on your path, good luck to you Cosmo.
    Well, there you go again... on the offensive again.
    I'm just saying that a lot of people say and have said, "I Know God". From you to Popes and Priests to Ayatollahs to Preachers on T.V. to Clerics to Pat Robertson to Rev. Fred Phelps to Usama bin Laden. For all I know... you all do know God. But, I still have my doubts.
    Why would I ever feel threatened? I mean, I really don't care what you or anyone else feels or says about me or any of my beliefs. My beliefs are my own and I understand that. My beliefs do not apply to anyone else and I don't expect anyone else to believe me.
    And yes... that is my assessment. Your belief works for you... GREAT. If you claim to know God and know the Truth about God... GREAT. That is your truth. I'm just saying... if what you are saying is the truth... absolute truth, not relative to you... then, you fall into a very small segment of the population of human history. Moses knew God... as did Jesus. And... well, i guess... you. If the truth is, that you are in the same league as Moses and Jesus... Then, who the Hell do I think i am to question, right?
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    Chief BroomChief Broom Detroit Posts: 2,036
    :lol::lol::lol:....What a silly little thread I've stumbled upon!

I like Pearl Jam!!!

Anybody else? :D
    MLMF Det
  • Options

I like Pearl Jam!!!

YES me me me!

something we can all agree on! I like Pearl Jam! smilie_liebe4.gif

thanks for that :D
  • Options
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    What do you mean by 'God'?

Anyway, many people have now replaced 'God' with a sports team, or even a 'country'. Their whole lives revolve around something that has no direct relation to them whatsoever. Some people just need something to focus their energies on because their lives are otherwise empty and meaningless.
  • Options
    Chief BroomChief Broom Detroit Posts: 2,036
    pandora wrote:

I like Pearl Jam!!!

YES me me me!

something we can all agree on! I like Pearl Jam! smilie_liebe4.gif

thanks for that :D
    :D I try!
    MLMF Det
This discussion has been closed.