Options

Why do we need to "believe" in God?

1141516171820»

Comments

• Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    pandora wrote:
    deflecting from your words and actions again :? ...
    terrible Jesus comment, a put down to Christians likening me to their beloved figures and degrading comment towards Southern women.... to women in general those are your true colors... you have painted yourself with these words
    My God. Do you need EVERYTHING explained to you? Seriously?
    Go back and read the full context... you know... the one where George W. Bush sought the advice of God (or Jesus) to approve his invasion of Iraq? Go on... go read it.
    And the petticoat... I cannot believe you are looking to be some sort of victim in this case. It is your pettiness... your petty antics... that were showing.
    Seriously... I cannot believe I even had to explain that to you. Now, maybe you have a better idea of where that whole Mars thing came from.
    You are really making yourself look bad... in your pathetic attempts to make me look bad. Well, keep looking and keep twisting things to come up with some other kooky notion that you think will make me look bad.
    Does God know you are being this way?
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    edited November 2011
    pandora wrote:
    i feel sadness for anyone who feels they need saving by the son of 'someone' who it cant be proven exists.
    your words do not ring true...

If a believer came and said they feel sorry for you...
    well we know how that might go over

treat others the way you would like to be treated cate ...
    that is with respect for your beliefs

Let people have what they have and respect that and each other.

:lol:

trust me pandora i speak the truth.

and fyi i have had believers expressed pity that i dont believe in God. then they say they will pray for me anyway.`i smile and think of the disrespect theyve shown to me when i have simply told them i am an atheist and allowed them to share their beliefs. sometimes im not in the mood to indugle them and then i say sorry but im not interested.

and you perhaps misunderstand me pandora.. i couldnt give a flying fuck if people respect my atheism. it is mine, not theirs and their opinions make not an iota of difference to me or how i live my life. i do not go door to door seeking converts or sharing my atheism. i would like that in kind but thats not the way it seems to work.
    Post edited by catefrances on
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    Cosmo wrote:

God knows all and is everywhere. 8-)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    pandora wrote:

terrible Jesus comment, a put down to Christians likening me to their beloved figures
    and degrading comment towards Southern women....
    to women in general

those are your true colors... you have painted yourself with these words

as a woman i have to say i was not offended by cosmos comments re: petticoats.. nor do i feel degraded.
    That's because, Cate... you obviously possess the power of observation and reasoning.
    That my response to Pandora's (way out of left field) remark that I was bad-mouthing Jesus...
    "Hey Pandora... your petticoat... er, your pettiness is showing."
    was simply a play on the words, petticoat and pettiness.
    Only someone with a petty grievence would create something to be offended by in a simple statement.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options

and fyi i have had believers expressed sympathy that i dont belive in God. then they say they will pray for me anyway.`i smile and think of the disrespect theyve shown to me when i have simply told them i am an atheist and allowed them to share their beliefs. sometimes im not in the mood to indugle them and then i say sorry but im not interested.

and you perhaps misunderstand me pandora.. i couldnt give a flying fuck if people respect my atheism. it is mine, not theirs and their opinions make not an iota of difference to me or how i live my life. i do not go door to door seeking converts or sharing my atheism. i would like that in kind but thats not the way it seems to work.
    The same with me.
    i know people are sincere when they tell me they will pray for me to find God or Jesus. It is nice of them...
    But, I tell them to save that prayer for the person in Africa that hasn't eaten this week... that falls under daily threat of death by machette.
    That I am okay... well fed... sleeps in a warm bed... sheltered from the weather. God and Jesus need to focus more on those who aren't okay... prayers need to be directed towards them, not me.
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    Cosmo wrote:
    pandora wrote:
    terrible Jesus comment, a put down to Christians likening me to their beloved figures and degrading comment towards Southern women.... to women in general those are your true colors... you have painted yourself with these words
    My God. Do you need EVERYTHING explained to you? Seriously?
    Go back and read the full context... you know... the one where George W. Bush sought the advice of God (or Jesus) to approve his invasion of Iraq? Go on... go read it.
    And the petticoat... I cannot believe you are looking to be some sort of victim in this case. It is your pettiness... your petty antics... that were showing.
    Seriously... I cannot believe I even had to explain that to you. Now, maybe you have a better idea of where that whole Mars thing came from.
    You are really making yourself look bad... in your pathetic attempts to make me look bad. Well, keep looking and keep twisting things to come up with some other kooky notion that you think will make me look bad.
    pointing out your words only...

you have used Jesus' name in vain saying it "his fault"
    a disrespectful comment for believers ... no explaining changes that

liken me to scared figures and made a womanizing statement ...
    your words, your tone, your vibes
    really can't talk yourself out of all that... you said them all

God knows me yes and you feel God is looking for you and will find you through kindness
    the above things could seem unkind to believers and perhaps to God also

but yes this has been hashed and goes down on paper no need to repeat again
  • Options
    pandora wrote:
    i feel sadness for anyone who feels they need saving by the son of 'someone' who it cant be proven exists.

and fyi i have had believers expressed pity that i dont believe in God. then they say they will pray for me anyway.`i smile and think of the disrespect theyve shown to me when i have simply told them i am an atheist and allowed them to share their beliefs. sometimes im not in the mood to indugle them and then i say sorry but im not interested.

so yours is a 'do back to others?' :?

I thought you a better person than that cate
  • Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    pandora wrote:
    pointing out your words only...

you have used Jesus' name in vain saying it "his fault"
    a disrespectful comment for believers ... no explaining changes that

Do YOU believe Jesus is/was the son of God?

I don't think he's using it in vain if he doesn't believe Jesus is God.
    And once upon a time when I believed Jesus was the Son of God, this would not be offensive to me.
    Again, perception is a godsend...I think he was poking fun at the fact that Bush invaded Iraq on a God whim, saying maybe it was Jesus' fault -- is really pointing out that Bush is using poor excuses/judgement in explaining his actions.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    pandora wrote:
    pointing out your words only... you have used Jesus' name in vain saying it "his fault"
    a disrespectful comment for believers ... no explaining changes that liken me to scared figures and made a womanizing statement ...your words, your tone, your vibes really can't talk yourself out of all that... you said them all
    God knows me yes and you feel God is looking for you and will find you through kindness the above things could seem unkind to believers and perhaps to God also but yes this has been hashed and goes down on paper no need to repeat again
    Sorry. But, you are acting like Sarah Palin, trying to explain her way out of something and digging herself deeper and deeper into the mess. You got that whole Jesus/petticoat thing all tangled up in your attempt to make me look like I am abusing you. Sorry, but that just ain't the case, here
    By the way... all you have are words. You cannot decipher tone or vibes. YOU are attaching those sentiments to my words.
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    Cosmo wrote:

That's because, Cate... you obviously possess the power of observation and reasoning.
    That my response to Pandora's (way out of left field) remark that I was bad-mouthing Jesus...
    "Hey Pandora... your petticoat... er, your pettiness is showing."
    was simply a play on the words, petticoat and pettiness.
    Only someone with a petty grievence would create something to be offended by in a simple statement.
    oh boy... wow ... now it's a play on words :lol:

just keep diggin that hole you are in ;)

sounds like you really try to justify your words and motives
    are you also hiding from truth?

play on words? ....if so prettiness .... would have been far kinder and less womanizing
  • Options
    pandora wrote:
    pandora wrote:

so yours is a 'do back to others?' :?

I thought you a better person than that cate

i am one of the best people youd ever have the privilege of knowing pandora. immodest.. perhaps. truth.. yes.

and no im not a do back to others person. all i ask is people dont bring their religious bullshit to my door. respect me enough as a person to just turn and walk away, as i do.... unless im engaged.. but if you do feel the need then i see no reason not to share my thoughts... as they have done. as awesome as i am i do have my limits pandora.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    pandora wrote:

terrible Jesus comment, a put down to Christians likening me to their beloved figures
    and degrading comment towards Southern women....
    to women in general

those are your true colors... you have painted yourself with these words

as a woman i have to say i was not offended by cosmos comments re: petticoats.. nor do i feel degraded.

I must say, this 'outrage' seems way OTT to me!

And I've got fantastic petticoats and they MUST show too!
  • Options
    Cosmo wrote:
    Sorry. But, you are acting like Sarah Palin, trying to explain her way out of something and digging herself deeper and deeper into the mess. You got that whole Jesus/petticoat thing all tangled up in your attempt to make me look like I am abusing you. Sorry, but that just ain't the case, here
    By the way... all you have are words. You cannot decipher tone or vibes. YOU are attaching those sentiments to my words.
    maybe you should be the politician... deflection you are good at, not owning your statements,
    not speaking the truth... ie ..."it was just a play on words"....
    like... really it was, I didn't mean anything by it, really same with 'Jesus' fault'
    etc

too too funny

maybe you can't feel vibe and tone but I think alot of people can

but your words are enough I stand by those even if you won't
  • Options
    SeaSea Earth Posts: 2,933
    Discuss the topic, not the people discussing the topic. No personal comments. Look your comments over before hitting Submit and be sure you're debating THE TOPIC.
This discussion has been closed.